PDA

View Full Version : Marble Hornets

Danny
17-May-2011, 09:34 PM
So the blair witch thread made me think you guys should look into the marble hornets ARG.

It starts with a youtube account of a guy who was given many dv tapes by his student filmmaker friend who mysteriously shut down production on his film 'marble hornets' for no apparent reason as his behaviour became erratic. he never wanted the tapes to be mentioned again. when asked what he should do with them he was told "burn them."

As it goe's on form entry 1 onwards it becomes clear his friend alex was being stalked by a supernatural entity dubbed "the slenderman" a faceless, unnaturally tall man in a suit with long limbs with extra bends and tentacle like hands.
It never attacks anyone anything like that. at first it just appears around him. in the first entry alex films him standing on his porch. as i t goes on many entrys that seem benign fooage from the set of marble hornets reveal upon a rewatch the slenderman in background scenes.

eventually things start to happen to 'the operator' the guy uploading the videos. i wont say what because that would spoil it but theres multiple things like his twitter account and side accounts that build up the slenderman mythos and this ongoing interactive horror film.
its currently at entry 40 and whilst the mid teens to mid 20s kinda drag on the last one was a big kick in the pants.

heres a few choice examples.

the infamous entry #1 in which the operator finds the first footage of the slenderman
Bn59FJ4HrmU

entry #7 at first glance is behind the scenes footage of marble hornets and you woner why alex flips out at the end. rewind it after and look real hard.
0q3cQjeerNU

entry #17 look out the window.
IqsAWxVUUIU

definitely the most interesting ARG thats still ongoing and keeping folks interested.

Neil
17-May-2011, 10:16 PM
^^ Interesting :)

MikePizzoff
19-May-2011, 01:56 PM
Funny you should make a thread about this - I just discovered Marble Hornets via another forum I post on. Pretty creative stuff.

However, I must correct you in that The Operator is the name of the entity/slender man, not the name of the film maker.

Also, what does 'ARG' stand for?

Danny
19-May-2011, 02:01 PM
ARG stands for 'alternate reality game', anything the utilises the internet, external media and general real world audience interface to create an illusion of reality in the piece and gives the audience puzzles to solve to get the story moving along. For example all the pre premier stuff for the blair witch like 'have you seen these students?' posters or the aperture science website for the original portal or hanzo videos for LOST and all the darma initiative stuff.

MikePizzoff
19-May-2011, 02:19 PM
Ah, pretty cool. I'd like to get involved in something like that. Just don't know if I have THAT sort of creativity in me.