PDA

View Full Version : First Look as Season Two production begins

bassman
02-Jun-2011, 08:25 PM
http://www.joblo.com/images_arrownews/kirkman-zombie.jpg

From Kirkman's Twitter Account:

In honor of filming starting next week, here's another Walking Dead season two sneak peek! Shhh.

Okay, so it's not much. But it is technically the first image of Season Two and the "production" thread for the first season was very informative during filming, so it seems about time to get it rolling along again.

With filming starting in Atlanta next week, we should have some juicy info coming at us soon. :hyper:

kidgloves
02-Jun-2011, 09:28 PM
I love Kirkmans sense of humour

Rancid Carcass
02-Jun-2011, 10:49 PM
Damn spoilers! :lol:

sandrock74
04-Jun-2011, 12:36 AM
No, not that! This tells us that not only will they not be at Hershels farm, we won't see Michonne either!

bassman
06-Jun-2011, 03:54 PM
They closed highway 19/41 in Hampton, Georgia(close to Atlanta Motor Speedway, south of Atlanta) yesterday. Lots of damaged cars. Looks like filming officially started today...

http://www.wsbtv.com/2011/0606/28143920_640X360.jpg

scpg8vVsMOA

glazedoverdead
06-Jun-2011, 05:21 PM
No, not that! This tells us that not only will they not be at Hershels farm, we won't see Michonne either!

I don't live too far from there and I've driven down that stretch of road many times. That's what it normally looks like in afternoon traffic!!! :evil:

JDFP
06-Jun-2011, 05:35 PM
They closed highway 19/41 in Hampton, Georgia(close to Atlanta Motor Speedway, south of Atlanta) yesterday. Lots of damaged cars. Looks like filming officially started today...

http://www.wsbtv.com/2011/0606/28143920_640X360.jpg

I thought they were going towards Ft. Benning (which would be 411)?

I always considered Hwy 400 to be the "Atlanta Autobahn" when I lived in Duluth. I tried to avoid I-285 and GA 400 like the bloody plague. I'd be driving 70 on the the 400 and have people passing by me like I was stalled. I always preferred I-85 and I-75 as opposed to 285 which I'd avoid at all costs. I-85 was fun because there were two speeds on it -- either 9MPH or 90MPH, nothing in-between. I don't think I ever took 411 as everything was north/north-east for me from Atlanta living in Gwinnett Co.

I've always wondered where they get all the vehicles for these wreck scenes. Local junkyards? How exactly do they move them from location once they are set up? And how exactly do they get the cars compacted/crashed against one another just to be able to re-locate them again? Imagine how grueling this type of work would be for the poor probably P.A. who has to help set all this up and then do all the cleaning up!

j.p.

bassman
06-Jun-2011, 06:19 PM

If they were headed toward Benning they could take 19 South to get there. Not very practical, but it could work. Besides....it could be standing in for any road they wish. Just pop up a different sign and it could be anything. When they mentioned it on the news this morning, they actually said that the crew wanted to use a different highway(85 maybe?) but the DOT wouldn't allow it because it was heavily travelled.

kidgloves
08-Jun-2011, 06:01 PM
At last some info. Thanks Bassman

---------- Post added 08-Jun-2011 at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was 06-Jun-2011 at 07:25 PM ----------

2 Photos released

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2011/06/season-2-first-look-photos.php

http://media.amctv.com/photo-gallery/TWD-Season-2-Production-Photos/First-Look-Walker-Woman-760.jpg

http://media.amctv.com/photo-gallery/TWD-Season-2-Production-Photos/First-Look-Walkers-Makeup-760.jpg

bassman
08-Jun-2011, 06:08 PM
WHOA! Nice find, kid. What's up the orange sherbert eyes? Weird...

kidgloves
08-Jun-2011, 06:17 PM

Freaky arent they?
I guess they haven't cut the makeup budget then?

bassman
08-Jun-2011, 06:22 PM
I prefer the darker red/black lenses used in the first season but these aren't too bad. They don't really scream "dead body" to me, though. The one with the girl up close looks more like she's the host of an alien virus or something....

blind2d
08-Jun-2011, 06:47 PM
Kinda gotta agree with bass about the eyes. I'm still stoked, though.
Is it just me, or do news announcers sound like assholes? I realize that's a relative term, but... yeah...

bassman
09-Jun-2011, 12:14 PM
The local news says that today after they're done on the highway posted above they'll be moving to Freedom Parkway on Monday. Fans of the show will recognize Freedom Parkway was the iconic "rick rides into town" image from the posters and dvd cover. Flashbacks, maybe? Or are they now headed out of town in a different direction?

The crew must get angry with the local news stations. Flying their helicopters over the sets during filming, broadcasting where exactly they'll be next, etc. Although I guess they expected that after the success of the first season...

Edit: They'll also be at the Cobb Galleria:

On Monday, the AMC series "The Walking Dead" will be filming scenes near the Cobb Galleria Centre for its second season. The Georgia Department of Transportation has approved road closures on Cobb Galleria Parkway from Akers Mill Road to Cumberland Boulevard; on Riverwood Parkway, from Cobb Galleria Parkway to Cobb Parkway; and at Cobb Parkway and Riverwood Parkway.

The closures are scheduled from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.

That's a highly populated area, so we can expect spy photos next week.

shootemindehead
09-Jun-2011, 02:13 PM

I know...stop with the flippin eyes!

GOD!!!!!!!!!! How many times do I have to say it????

Eh?

EH???

AcesandEights
09-Jun-2011, 02:22 PM
I know...stop with the flippin eyes!

GOD!!!!!!!!!! How many times do I have to say it????

Eh?

EH???

Dunno, either filming over or yellowing of the whites of the eyes a good long time after death doesn't seem unreasonable. This looks different than the glow in the dark yellow eyes in most movies, though I admit it looks very yellow. Maybe Yojimbo can sound off on this.

Also, was your post a purposeful textual impersonation of Napoleon Dynamite? I'm thinking: yes.

shootemindehead
09-Jun-2011, 02:34 PM
I've seen a few dead bodies and have never seen eyes that look anything remotely like the contacts you see in modern zombie movies. Although, I admit they weren't long dead, so I can't vouch for time. Maybe pus and fluids will turn eyes into a yellowy mush over a certain period, but I'm guessing it looks nothing like the pics above. I suspect that filmmakers usually put in the contacts to give zombies a sense of otherness. Most non-zombie fans watching zombie movies have the general consensus that they aren't that scary. Roger Ebert, for example, considers them the worst horror film monster.

As for Nappy Dynamite, I never seen it.

That post was just ME!

But, now, I'm worried.

bassman
09-Jun-2011, 02:38 PM
Roger Ebert, for example, considers them the worst horror film monster.

Really? I thought he was a big fan of Romero's? I seem to remember him giving a glowing review of Dawn.

AcesandEights
09-Jun-2011, 02:52 PM
I was under the impression Ebert flip-flopped on his opinion from bad to glowing over the years, but I could be mistaken.

With regards to the eyes, I agree they are way yellow, but as mentioned by Shootem', I think it is done to add that sense of otherness. I also feel we are looking at makeup purposefully overdone to standout in relatively quick scenes on camera.

Now, if they really close up on those sets of yellow eyes or enhance them to glow yeah...I agree it's over the top, but not the sort of thing that gets my particular nose too far out of joint.

Danny
09-Jun-2011, 02:57 PM
I was talking with some friends about this show and it was interesting to hear why folks dont want to watch it. Personally i watched season 1 and it took an excellent story from the comics and threw it out the window at episode 2 in favour of something truly mediocre compared to the source material. Then someone pointed out why they changed it and why its only going to change more. "Because it will only ever be these boring people and those boring zombies" think about that.

Without this plot twist then the series would have been everyone moping around a caravan fighting off a dozen zombies then ricks kid killing his friend and thats that. as a comic thats part of an engrossing weekly narrative, as a tv season finale to keep people hooked? it wouldn't work. They would not let it work.

A lot of you lauded this as 'as close to a romero tv series as you can get'. I am betting good money this will get further from the truth as it goes on. They already revealed whats making the zombies, thats something kirkman promised to never do in the books out the window already, whats next? im guessing we will get at least one instance of a talking zombie or one that uses a gun.
They ended season 1 with them exploding a huge firebombing faux umbrella facility. They will up the ante each season. If you want a romero experience it will only deviate more as time goes on. The yellow eyes are probably a signifier of this.

bassman
09-Jun-2011, 03:11 PM
I was under the impression Ebert flip-flopped on his opinion from bad to glowing over the years, but I could be mistaken.

I remember hearing something about Ebert being at one of the early screenings with Romero(cannes, maybe?) and defending Dawn while all the other critics were panning it? Maybe I heard that on one of the commentaries? Can't remember.

They already revealed whats making the zombies, thats something kirkman promised to never do in the books...

Was there a seventh episode or a deleted scene I missed somehwere? :shifty:

The show was never going to be page-for-page, scene-for-scene translation of the source material. They weren't going into the show to make a Sin City-type translation. With TWD, like you mentioned, that would have been a boring and repetitive show. All things considered, the show has actually stuck pretty close to the source material while throwing in some curve balls. The biggest change of course being Shane. Which it actually works better now that they're dragging out his story. It will only help to better build the tension in the triangle.

AcesandEights
09-Jun-2011, 03:22 PM
Then someone pointed out why they changed it and why its only going to change more. "Because it will only ever be these boring people and those boring zombies" think about that.

Something seems to be lost in the translation from your friends point of view to us, or at least to me. Can you clarify the point they were trying to make?

A lot of you lauded this as 'as close to a romero tv series as you can get'. I am betting good money this will get further from the truth as it goes on.
Well the longer the timeline, the more likely picayune people will find fault, with that I do agree.

They already revealed whats making the zombies
Not really.

im guessing we will get at least one instance of a talking zombie or one that uses a gun.
Well, to be fair, I agree it's a possibility, but you're putting the cart before the horse, I think.

They ended season 1 with them exploding a huge firebombing faux umbrella facility. They will up the ante each season. If you want a romero experience it will only deviate more as time goes on. The yellow eyes are probably a signifier of this.
I agree they are moving hard and fast away from grounded storylines in some instances, and was a bit surprised by the CDC angle.

bassman
09-Jun-2011, 03:28 PM
The CDC show was thrown in for one simple reason: The possiblity of there being no Season Two. Think about it....every show with a continuing story arch ends their first season with something to cap it off in case there are no follow up episodes. The CDC episode gave enough simple answers(nobody left in the world, we don't know what it is, no cure in sight, etc) while also sending the crew off into the wild IN CASE they were given another season. I guarantee you the end of Season Two will be a cliffhanger now that they know the show will continue for the forseable future. They just had to have a bookmark at the end of the first six episodes and the CDC was their "answers".

Not to mention most of the world knows the CDC is in Atlanta, so to have a story about a potential virus in that city and not pursue that storyline would be silly. Looking at you, Kirkman.

AcesandEights
09-Jun-2011, 03:50 PM
Not to mention most of the world knows the CDC is in Atlanta, so to have a story about a potential virus in that city and not pursue that storyline would be silly. Looking at you, Kirkman.

I disagree it was necessary for them to throw themselves into the situation the way they did. By the time they think of the CDC as a reasonable possibility they are aware that "the cities are dead" and should know that focal points of attention, like the CDC, are in high congestion areas, likely mobbed by undead. It really made no sense for them to go there aside from a meta-storytelling angle. It would have been enough to acknowledge the CDC as a possibility and puruse it by more circuitous means.

Danny
09-Jun-2011, 03:58 PM
Something seems to be lost in the translation from your friends point of view to us, or at least to me. Can you clarify the point they were trying to make?

To most people who arent into zombie movies they are at best a useful allegory for some subtext, at worst a cheap lowest of the low budget cop out but always a poor movie monster. For them the zombies you see in the first episode are all they need to see. Why do they need to see more? of course some characters will die to keep it fresh so the drama is not worth watching when it is just enforced by what is to them a very, very dull "enemy". If an enemy at all. One that will not change from this first episode and there will be no major change or escalation. more zombies or more crazy people and thats about it. it doesnt draw them in.
I'm not quite on the same page as them but i can certainly understand. i've said something pretty similar about why i dont want a 100+ hour sandbox zombie game.

I guess it's like CSI with me. my mom blood loves it. but i always said "but mom its pandering trash, each week we see the murder then 40 minutes of maguffins then they get a deus ex machina thing to find him and maybe for an overarching seasonal story they let a guy get away every now and then. its never ever going to change the core idea and its boring" but she doesnt care, its riveting to her, to me i dont know why she watches it.
This is an even more extreme example of that. people who arent into zombie stories enough to post for years of their life on a forum about them look at the walking dead and logically speaking the zombies are a dull, grey reason to push drama onto a small cast. I can perfectly understand why folks would think that way.

AcesandEights
09-Jun-2011, 06:21 PM
Thank you, Hellsing! That was well stated and now I feel I not only understand, but in some ways agree.

However...

i dont want a 100+ hour sandbox zombie game.

http://www.clashmusic.com/files/imagecache/big_node_view/files/images/madness_7.jpg

And while searching for that image, this one made me think of Blind2d:

http://picture.funnycorner.net/funny-pictures/5507/Madness.jpg

kidgloves
09-Jun-2011, 08:12 PM
The local news says that today after they're done on the highway posted above they'll be moving to Freedom Parkway on Monday. Fans of the show will recognize Freedom Parkway was the iconic "rick rides into town" image from the posters and dvd cover. Flashbacks, maybe? Or are they now headed out of town in a different direction?

Im pretty sure in one of his earlier interviews Kirkman said they would be going back to locations we had seen in the first season.
Maybe go back and put Jim out of his misery?
Go back and check on Morgan?

bassman
09-Jun-2011, 08:21 PM
Go back and check on Morgan?

I really, really hope so. This show needs more of those two. It was such a shame to have them for only a few scenes in the first episode.

shootemindehead
09-Jun-2011, 08:22 PM
Really? I thought he was a big fan of Romero's? I seem to remember him giving a glowing review of Dawn.

Yeh, but said Day was "meh", or whatever the kidz use nowadays to show they find something below par. And for that he can never be forgiven.

:)

Seriously though...I'm pretty sure that he wrote that zombies were the worse horror movie monster.

"As movie characters, zombies are boring by definition: All they can do is shuffle, moan, catch up with much faster people, and chew on their arms."

"Good thing the movie is about more than zombies. I am by now more or less exhausted by the cinematic possibilities of killing them. I've seen thousands of zombies die, and they're awfully easy to kill, unless you get a critical mass that piles on all at once. George Romeo, who invented the modern genre with "Night of the Living Dead" and "Dawn of the Dead," was essentially devising video game targets before there were video games: They pop up, one after another, and you shoot them, or bang them on the head with a cricket bat. It's more fun sitting in the dark eating peanuts."

tsk tsk...Roger, you wanker.

*Actually, I like Roger Ebert and often agree with him*

glazedoverdead
09-Jun-2011, 08:50 PM
Holy crap! I go to the Cobb Galleria all the damned time... And I park my company vehicle right off of freedom pkwy!! I'm in friggin Orlando, Fl on business for several months.. Why can't I be home while they are filming this???!! Nooooooooooooo

ZombieKeeper
10-Jun-2011, 02:14 AM
Can't wait. I guess its time to get the blu-ray of season one and watch right before season 2 begins.

bassman
14-Jun-2011, 12:20 PM
Can't wait. I guess its time to get the blu-ray of season one and watch right before season 2 begins.

If rumors are to be believed, you should probably hold out a bit longer. It's been said that a special edition of the first season will be released before the new season starts. The Blu Ray out there now is basically bare bones.

-- -------- Post added 14-Jun-2011 at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-Jun-2011 at 10:29 PM ----------

As was rumored, yesterday they shut down Cobb Parkway for filming and quite a few photos were taken (http://www.dailyblam.com/news/2011/06/13/walking-dead-season-two-behind-the-scenes-images).

Cobb Parkway, btw, is very close to the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center, which doubled as the CDC in season one. They've also set up Base Camp in the Performing Arts Center parking lot. Could they be filming flashbacks of the CDC or just using the lot to park their vehicles?

uyXiBD4YU2o

kidgloves
14-Jun-2011, 05:09 PM
More pics.

http://www.dailyblam.com/news/2011/06/13/walking-dead-season-two-behind-the-scenes-images

The RV making a quick escape

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ton51NU7fmw

Rancid Carcass
14-Jun-2011, 07:58 PM
More pics.

http://www.dailyblam.com/news/2011/06/13/walking-dead-season-two-behind-the-scenes-images

Those CGI zombies are going to look amazing!

acealive1
14-Jun-2011, 09:35 PM
More pics.

no idea who the girl was at the end,but she sounded incredibly HOT

krisvds
15-Jun-2011, 07:16 AM
What makes the comic book work so well, and (most of ;-)) Romero's 'dead' films is that they're never really about the zombies as such. Sure they provide nice suspense and action beats but if it was just that, you get the dawn remake; all action and no soul.
I bet you could stage 'Day of the dead' as a play without zombies in it apart from Bub and still have great drama...

This is the greatest threat to season two; if we don't care about the survivors and what they are going through all we are left with is a videogame. The comics pack quite an emotional punch and season one translated some of those quite nicely but the 'soapy' feel of some of the episodes has me worried. That and the often laugh out loud dialogue (I still can't get over that initial dialogue between Rick and Shane at the start of the first episode).

And what the hell is up with those red eyes?

shootemindehead
15-Jun-2011, 10:24 AM
I bet you could stage 'Day of the dead' as a play without zombies in it apart from Bub and still have great drama...

Er...no, you couldn't.

There is a reason why some people are attracted to "zombie films". It's the zombies.

The greatest threat to season 2 will be repeating the mistakes of Season 1. Bad writing, straying too far away from the source, introducing new and completely un-necessary characters and long stretches without zombies.

Neil
15-Jun-2011, 11:34 AM
Er...no, you couldn't.

There is a reason why some people are attracted to "zombie films". It's the zombies.

The greatest threat to season 2 will be repeating the mistakes of Season 1. Bad writing, straying too far away from the source, introducing new and completely un-necessary characters and long stretches without zombies.

I'd disagree there! It's the apocalypse/threat I believe most people are interested in. Yes, zombies of course have their place, but I believe it's secondary to the scenarios/stories that are caused due to them...

Danny
15-Jun-2011, 11:39 AM
What makes the comic book work so well, and (most of ;-)) Romero's 'dead' films is that they're never really about the zombies as such. Sure they provide nice suspense and action beats but if it was just that, you get the dawn remake; all action and no soul.

This is the greatest threat to season two; if we don't care about the survivors and what they are going through all we are left with is a videogame. The comics pack quite an emotional punch and season one translated some of those quite nicely but the 'soapy' feel of some of the episodes has me worried. That and the often laugh out loud dialogue (I still can't get over that initial dialogue between Rick and Shane at the start of the first episode).

And what the hell is up with those red eyes?

all of which was why i disliked season 1 compared to the comics. still checking season 2 out but the zombies are the cheesy kind. one thing twd comic has right is you can be in a city adn they are everywhere, shambling around out 5th floor windows, trapped in a phone booth, sitting down against a wall till rick and the gang show up etc. in the tv show it was generic street filling waves that all act and move the same. they tried too hard to make them a threat and no longer a dangerous obstacle.

Really the zombies should be less like vampries or werewolves en masse but more like the anomalies in stalker. incredibly dangerous but if you know what to do and be careful you can navigate them. not a wailing wall that just serves to corrall you for artificially forced drama.

-and a stage show with bub would work. though i imagine it would be more about the horror like 'if they can remember doing things and relearn them have we just been killing sick people this whole time?" or something. i'd watch it.

bassman
15-Jun-2011, 01:09 PM
That and the often laugh out loud dialogue (I still can't get over that initial dialogue between Rick and Shane at the start of the first episode).

The scene in the car about Shane's women? Hrmm...that hit home with me. That seemed like a natural conversation that a pair of buddies would have...

DjfunkmasterG
15-Jun-2011, 02:59 PM

I always considered Hwy 400 to be the "Atlanta Autobahn" when I lived in Duluth. I tried to avoid I-285 and GA 400 like the bloody plague. I'd be driving 70 on the the 400 and have people passing by me like I was stalled. I always preferred I-85 and I-75 as opposed to 285 which I'd avoid at all costs. I-85 was fun because there were two speeds on it -- either 9MPH or 90MPH, nothing in-between. I don't think I ever took 411 as everything was north/north-east for me from Atlanta living in Gwinnett Co.

I've always wondered where they get all the vehicles for these wreck scenes. Local junkyards? How exactly do they move them from location once they are set up? And how exactly do they get the cars compacted/crashed against one another just to be able to re-locate them again? Imagine how grueling this type of work would be for the poor probably P.A. who has to help set all this up and then do all the cleaning up!

j.p.

They do get them from local junkyards, the vehicles are then towed or trailered in to the set and arranged by the cinematographer and set designer. I was on the political film Game Change and one of the SD's was telling me when they set up wrecks they look for cars that look like they would have smashed into each other for real and try to stage the scene to look as gruesome and horrorfying as possible.

Great thing about working as an extra is you can learn tons of shit about movie making, but if you really put your mind to it, and have th emoney you can pretty much do it yourself, it is all about vision.

shootemindehead
15-Jun-2011, 10:11 PM
I'd disagree there! It's the apocalypse/threat I believe most people are interested in. Yes, zombies of course have their place, but I believe it's secondary to the scenarios/stories that are caused due to them...

Then why isn't this place called the hompage of the Day after / threads forum? Or Homepage of Mad Max, or something?

There's plenty of apocalypse style movies, but it's the ones involving the living dead that we are more interested in.

That's because of the zombies.

-- -------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

The scene in the car about Shane's women? Hrmm...that hit home with me. That seemed like a natural conversation that a pair of buddies would have...

Yeh, me too sort. I hear that sort of yap down the pub every night of the week.

Hey, wait a second...did I say every night of the week?

Oh dear....

krisvds
16-Jun-2011, 07:56 AM
Then why isn't this place called the hompage of the Day after / threads forum? Or Homepage of Mad Max, or something?

It's appreciation for Romero's original trilogy that brought most of us here. You don't even have to look closely at any of those three films to see that the drama comes from the way humans act and interact in a zombie outbreak. I find films that take that approach to be vastly superior to any Michael Bay -type action fests. I enjoy those too, in smaller doses.

There's plenty of apocalypse style movies, but it's the ones involving the living dead that we are more interested in.

Speak for yourself mate. I found 'The Road' a fantastic film. Way better than what most recent zombie-films had to offer. Including the walking dead series. It has more soul. It had suspense, a real sense of dread. You actually cared for those two characters. It's more than just (zombie)thrills. In that way that film was closer to Romero's original trilogy than the man's recent offerings. And hey, Mad max is brilliant! Land of the dead had more in common with those type of apocalyptic action films than anything else.

Yeh, me too sort. I hear that sort of yap down the pub every night of the week.

Hey, wait a second...did I say every night of the week?

Oh dear....

It's not just the lines, it's the delivery. And that look on the actor's faces. Could be me though, I should get out more often. Hang around in bars.

Neil
16-Jun-2011, 11:29 AM

That's because of the zombies.

Because it's the theme/nature of the apocalypse people get a kick out of! The point is, it's not armies of the dead that make an interesting/good film, it's the human interaction with the world as it has now become...

bassman
16-Jun-2011, 12:06 PM
....it's not armies of the dead that make an interesting/good film, it's the human interaction with the world as it has now become...

I don't see how anyone can be a fan of Romero and not agree with that. There are plenty other zombie films out there with just gore and zombie carnage, but Romero's films are most definitely about the people.

kidgloves
16-Jun-2011, 06:44 PM
Its definately the post apocalyptic scenario for me. Dawn introduced me to it. Thats why im here.

On a side note. My 20 year old nephew came to stay with me the other weekend and he asked to watch Dawn again but this time on the big screen. He definately gets Romero without being obsessive about it.

shootemindehead
16-Jun-2011, 08:57 PM
Because it's the theme/nature of the apocalypse people get a kick out of! The point is, it's not armies of the dead that make an interesting/good film, it's the human interaction with the world as it has now become...

And the theme is a "ZOMBIE" apocalypse. Otherwise we have 'The Road', which is a great movie too.

Well, I'm primarilly drawn to zombie films because of the zombies. I love em. There's a reason why I sat through 'Return of the Living Dead', 'The Beyond', 'Zombie Flesh Eaters' and 'Zombi III' and it wasn't for the human characters. The zombies are also the reason I love 'Day of the Dead' so much too. I'll be honest. Romero's take on the dead in that movie is terrifying. They really are very disturbing. Sure, the acting is the best out of the original 3 (even if ain't RADA standard) and it makes for some good interaction. But they're essentially the same bunch of bickering wankers Romero has been peddling since 1968. I've seen Day about a million times now (give or take) and I know every line. The human interaction isn't the draw that keeps me putting the disc back in the player. I know the drama. I know the lines. But, I still get the same feeling at that opening scene. It scares the shite out of me. I still feel revulsion at the zombie spilling his guts on the floor of Logan's lab. I still feel really uneasy about the zombies at the gates and I still shiver at the thought of Sarah and Bill getting shoved into the holding pen.

But just because a film has zombies in it doesn't automatically make it a good film, of course. You can count the number of good zombie movies (as far as drama is concerned) on the fingers of one hand.

The flip side is, of course, zombie films that leave out the zombies/gore too much. That's short changing me, no matter how good the human parts are played. That's the worst offence to me. By definition, a zombie film has to have zombies in it and munching scenes too.

Otherwise, make 'The Road'.

Neil
16-Jun-2011, 09:41 PM
And the theme is a "ZOMBIE" apocalypse. Otherwise we have 'The Road', which is a great movie too.

Well, I'm primarilly drawn to zombie films because of the zombies. I love em. There's a reason why I sat through 'Return of the Living Dead', 'The Beyond', 'Zombie Flesh Eaters' and 'Zombi III' and it wasn't for the human characters. The zombies are also the reason I love 'Day of the Dead' so much too. I'll be honest. Romero's take on the dead in that movie is terrifying. They really are very disturbing.

I think you're missing the point... And I think we're sort of agreeing.

Zombies do not automatically equal a good film to me. And I think the same can be said for you! "Day of the Dead" remake anyone? "Children of the Living Dead" anyone?

What's being said is the zombies are NOT the most important thing, they are there to set the scene within which the more important stuff (drama/action/horror) can then take place.

A whole film just showing armies of the living dead chowing down on people, would most likely be rather dull. But introduce some insightful human drama into this situation, and voila!

kidgloves
16-Jun-2011, 09:51 PM
More info from Kirkman about season 2

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/24990

SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE COMIC

Q: With Season 2 underway, what are you looking forward to?

A: Time spent in the Atlanta sun. I don't go outside a lot and it's nice to be in nature. Mostly I'm just looking forward to seeing the actors again. We don't get to hang out that much, so it'll be fun to get back to seeing those guys and interrupting them while they're working: "I know you're really worried about this scene and you're trying to get your lines straight and everything, but let's chat about what I saw on TV last night."

Q: What are you expecting from the first few weeks?

A: It's a funny question: I really don't know exactly what they're going to be shooting. But I will say there are some really awesome set-pieces coming up in the first episode. It's just going to be a lot of fun to get back and see Andrew and Sarah and Jon in costume again, watching Greg Nicotero make zombies again. It's gonna be a lot of fun.

Q: Have you seen what Greg has planned, zombie-wise?

A: Oh yeah. I've seen a lot of the stuff that he's been putting together, and I can just say that he's definitely taking things to the next level. I used to joke when we were promoting the first season, I would say "These are the best zombies that you've ever seen because Greg Nicotero has perfected his craft, and if he goes and does a zombie movie next THOSE will be the best zombies you've ever seen." And now I'm happy to say that The Walking Dead Season 2 zombies are the best zombies you've ever seen because that's what Greg Nicotero is doing next. There are going to be some memorable comic book zombies here and there, and then a lot is just Greg going, "OK, what can you do to the human body?"

Q: Previously, you announced that Hershel's farm would play a big factor in Season 2. What can you tell us about that?

A: Season 1 focused on Atlanta so much, and we got to see desolate Atlanta and how this stuff affects cities. And that was really cool, and a lot of cool visuals come from that. But rather than repeat ourselves we're going out into the woods. We're gonna see a lot of rural roads and open fields see how bad things are as you get away from the city centers. It's definitely different enough that Season 2 stands on its own and has its own thing. And a lot of that comes from Hershel's farm and seeing these characters. All I can say is it's gonna be great, and the casting on Season 2 is going to be as pitch-perfect as the casting on Season 1. I can't wait for everyone to meet Hershel.

Q: Any hints who will be playing him?

A: We were looking really hard at Charlie Sheen for everyone, but he can't play multiple roles. Turns out he can't even play one, so, I don't know. [Laughs]

Q: How does the fact that Shane's still alive change the story since he died so early in the comic?

A: While we're mapping out this arc and figuring out this story, we'll pull something in from the comic and then we'll go, "OK, so how does Shane existing change this? What does Shane bring to the situation? What's going on with his character at this point and how does it affect this thing that's already existed." It's really neat for me to treat The Walking Dead TV show as an alternate dimension where Shane lived, and there's all this different stuff happening because of that. Shane really throws a wrench in a lot of stuff.

Q: Are you now reluctant to kill him off?

A: Yeah absolutely. It's hard thinking about killing any character. If they're good characters, there are always more scenes to write, but this is the nature of things: There are zombies around. People gots to die. And after getting to know Jon Bernthal and see his portrayal of Shane, it's not an easy decision. He's past his expiration date by comic book standards, but Shane is by no means rotten. I think he's remaining fresh for a while. We'll see.

Q: Last season you were pretty adamant you wouldn't be dress up as a zombie. Have you had a change of heart?

A: I have not changed my mind. It's just a pet peeve of mine: I don't like recognizing people in cameo. I'm fine with cameos where I know that's a buddy of mine that's a zombie, but I do so much promotion for the show I just feel like viewers would be like, "That's that guy from the Internet! What's he doing in the background?" I feel like I would stick out like a sore thumb and ruin the scene. Also, I would not be able to resist the urge to wave. No one wants to see a waving zombie.

Q: How about directing an episode this season?

A: No, no no. That's ridiculous. I won't do that until Season 3. [Laughs] Look, directing looks really difficult. And I'm really proud of the fact that I've made my living by doing things that aren't very difficult. So, you know, I don't want to start working for a living. That just seems unwise to me.

Q: What can you tell us about Season 2 that no one knows?

A: It's hard because you're AMC, so I should be able to just say a bunch of things. But I don't want to get either of us in trouble. So let me think... It's gonna be a lot of fun seeing a potential love interest for Glenn. He ended up being a fan favorite in the first season, so we get to see a little bit of romance for this guy.

MoonSylver
16-Jun-2011, 10:33 PM
There probably shoulda been comic spoiler tags one some of that (or are we already past that point...?) :confused:

Anyhow...

Q: How does the fact that Shane's still alive change the story since he died so early in the comic?

A: While we're mapping out this arc and figuring out this story, we'll pull something in from the comic and then we'll go, "OK, so how does Shane existing change this? What does Shane bring to the situation? What's going on with his character at this point and how does it affect this thing that's already existed." It's really neat for me to treat The Walking Dead TV show as an alternate dimension where Shane lived, and there's all this different stuff happening because of that. Shane really throws a wrench in a lot of stuff.

Q: Are you now reluctant to kill him off?

A: Yeah absolutely. It's hard thinking about killing any character. If they're good characters, there are always more scenes to write, but this is the nature of things: There are zombies around. People gots to die. And after getting to know Jon Bernthal and see his portrayal of Shane, it's not an easy decision. He's past his expiration date by comic book standards, but Shane is by no means rotten. I think he's remaining fresh for a while. We'll see.

VERY interesting. So it's not necessarily a forgone conclusion at this point...Hurm...:shifty:

kidgloves
16-Jun-2011, 10:44 PM
There probably shoulda been comic spoiler tags one some of that (or are we already past that point...?) :confused:

Anyhow...

VERY interesting. So it's not necessarily a forgone conclusion at this point...Hurm...:shifty:

Spoiler warning added

bassman
16-Jun-2011, 11:04 PM
Maggie Greene confirmation. I was thinking they may shy away from going that direction...

krisvds
17-Jun-2011, 05:49 AM
A By definition, a zombie film has to have zombies in it and munching scenes too.

Amen to that.

And yeah, Italian zombies are very funky (le notti del terrore FTW).
And yes; Day is prob 'the best zombie film ever' because of the human drama. That's also why Walking dead works so well.

shootemindehead
17-Jun-2011, 08:52 AM
I think you're missing the point... And I think we're sort of agreeing.

Zombies do not automatically equal a good film to me. And I think the same can be said for you! "Day of the Dead" remake anyone? "Children of the Living Dead" anyone?

What's being said is the zombies are NOT the most important thing, they are there to set the scene within which the more important stuff (drama/action/horror) can then take place.

A whole film just showing armies of the living dead chowing down on people, would most likely be rather dull. But introduce some insightful human drama into this situation, and voila!

Agreed. Anything with one note is bound to become tedious. However, it's the inference that zombies are secondary to the whole zombie apocalypse scenario that I don't buy into. Of course human drama is essential in a dramatic situation. But, to me it's not more or less important to the focus on what's causing that drama. That'll be the zombies.

krisvds
18-Jun-2011, 09:26 AM
Yeah. I see your point. I think we're agreeing on the same things here;
a) zombies done right are really funky monsters
and
b) zombies alone do not make a great film; you need a great script.
and
c) in the best in the genre, the original Romero trilogy, the human inability to communicate poses a bigger threat than the actual zombies. They are just there.
Not that they aren't important or anything but all the drama in those films comes from the humans.
You know; as much as I like day (to me it's the best in the genre) I find the opening to Dawn way scarier. The atmosphere in that tv studio gets me every time. I find it scarier than any scene where they actually show the undead.

Same with walking dead; they better get their act together and make us care about those characters. I think a great script and well rounded characters will have the masses return to the series week after week. That and those funky zombies. That goes without saying.

shootemindehead
18-Jun-2011, 02:57 PM
Um...kind of.

If we take the best film, 'Day of the Dead', we can see a lot of the drama coming from the first part of the film from the human element for sure. That's because there's little focus on the zombies throughout. However, all their pissing and moaning is dwarfed by the drama of the zombie invasion into the missile silo in the second half, when the human characters are basically reduced to (potential) screaming dinners. Any "threat" from the human lack of communication is mickey mouse compared to the threat of being devoured by the dead.

To me, the "zombie apocalypse" as it's become known, is a really terrifying concept. But, it really has only been done right once and that's 'Day of the Dead', where Romero hit such ripe chord. In fact, it was so ripe a chord, it was rejected by fans of 'Dawn of the Dead' at first, as it completely abandoned the "fun" of the first sequel. 'Day of the Dead' and it's spectacular gore effects show clearly and horribly the consequences of being a zombie lunch. There isn't another zombie movie that shows that in such a graphic way. Attacks are usually a bite here and there and somebody turning. But, the attack on Rickles in Day is yet to be bettered in any film. It's truly horrifying.

It's yet to be seen whether 'The Walking Dead' won't implode, but it'll need to up the ante to a large degree if it's to beat the "Darkest Day of horror the world has ever known..."

Tom Price
18-Jun-2011, 03:53 PM
"Same with walking dead; they better get their act together and make us care about those characters. I think a great script and well rounded characters will have the masses return to the series week after week."

It will not be the only decent show on television this time.
Running in a vaccuum as it were.
That present's a Fly in the ointment ratings wise.

mpokera
18-Jun-2011, 07:02 PM
I agree with a lot of the above statements but I also think re: the zombies vs. human drama argument that both sides are right. I think the psychology of the humans reacting to the horrific events and the way they react to each other is absolutely what a lot of my fascination comes from. Its why I enjoy apocalyptic scenarios of other types too (machines, apes, diseases, etc.). That said though, I also really dig zombies, and I find them to be one of the scariest monsters no matter what anyone says. They dont have to be fast, or fly, or shoot lasers, or any of that crap to be scary. The fact that they never, ever quit, that there are always more no matter how many you kill. They cant be reasoned with, or bargained with, or coexisted with. Its very simple, you have to kill them or they will eat you. The fact that a small number is relatively easy has always added to the suspense for me. Sure you can get away from one or two (or any small number) only leads to there being more and more until you are overwhelmed.
As for the orange sherbret eyes? I kind of like them, and the comment made that they look like she was hosting some alien virus? Well isn't she possibly?

Rancid Carcass
18-Jun-2011, 07:11 PM
The fact that they never, ever quit.

Well, apart from NIGHT when they gave up trying to get at Ben in the basement... :shifty:

rongravy
19-Jun-2011, 01:18 PM
Yeah, the story has to be good, but if you don't have cool looking zombies tearing into someone every once in awhile... I start getting fidgety. I'm there for them, and the make up better be the schnizz.
Season 1 had some silliness in it, like them walking through the undead. That was about the only part I really didn't like.
That, and some of the cholo dialogue.
I'm ready for season 2, bring it.

blind2d
19-Jun-2011, 02:08 PM
But Ron, that part was in the original comics, and since they smelled like them, it made a whole lot more 'sense' than in Shaun, when they just acted funny.

rongravy
19-Jun-2011, 02:58 PM
But Ron, that part was in the original comics, and since they smelled like them, it made a whole lot more 'sense' than in Shaun, when they just acted funny.
I didn't know that, but it's still cheesy as heck.

shootemindehead
19-Jun-2011, 05:31 PM
Yeh, just cos it's "in the comics" doesn't make it a wise move. There'll probably be tons of stuff "in the comics" that'll be totally discarded. I've said it before, it was crap idea in the comic and it's a crap idea in the live action version too.

The idea that zombies could "smell" a human among a mass of stinking undead is bloody stupid (and that's the polite version).

You couldn't even do that when you were alive, for Christ's sake.

BillyRay
19-Jun-2011, 07:58 PM
I always figured zeds hunted by sound or sensing the body heat coming off the living.

But that being said, it's Kirkman's version of zombies, he can make up whatever rules he wants.

But THAT being said, we don't have to like/agree with Kirkman's (or any director's) version or explaination.

What I'm trying to say is that I have no strong opinion, and am sorry for wasting y'all's time. :D

Gripe away...

MoonSylver
19-Jun-2011, 09:07 PM
Gripe away...

You like things that I hate & have opinions that differ from mine, therefore you are obviously wrong. Long tirade. Questions about your level of intelligence, taste in entertainment & your lineage, & if your parents were even married when you were conceived.

[I]funny picture[I]

[I]random smiley faces[I]

Cut, paste, & repeat as necessary.

There, that work for ya? :lol:

BillyRay
19-Jun-2011, 10:23 PM
You like things that I hate & have opinions that differ from mine, therefore you are obviously wrong. Long tirade. Questions about your level of intelligence, taste in entertainment & your lineage, & if your parents were even married when you were conceived.

[I]funny picture[I]

[I]random smiley faces[I]

Cut, paste, & repeat as necessary.

There, that work for ya? :lol:

Oh, yeah?

Take THAT, Moon...

http://goregirl.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/survival-of-the-dead3.jpg

:moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon:

(take these moons, too)

MoonSylver
19-Jun-2011, 10:51 PM
:lol:

You forgot the caption:

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/moonsylver/BillyRay.jpg

:D ;)

BillyRay
20-Jun-2011, 07:31 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

Since we're digressing, Moon ol' buddy:

AGmPEVwqDVk

BTW, Thanks for the new wallpaper!

krisvds
21-Jun-2011, 07:18 AM
Um...kind of.

If we take the best film, 'Day of the Dead', we can see a lot of the drama coming from the first part of the film from the human element for sure. That's because there's little focus on the zombies throughout. However, all their pissing and moaning is dwarfed by the drama of the zombie invasion into the missile silo in the second half, when the human characters are basically reduced to (potential) screaming dinners. Any "threat" from the human lack of communication is mickey mouse compared to the threat of being devoured by the dead.

Second half? More like the final 15 minutes or so. Also note that the invasion would not have taken place without those petty humans. That's what makes it so tragic. If only they would have communicated properly. It's what ties the original three Romero films together: zombies would have been easy to deal with if humanity had responded properly. Without emotion. Had them destroyed on sight as it were.

But damn, that finale in day ... I agree with you that those gruesome scenes set this type of 'apocalypse'film apart from the rest. Those munching scenes are absolutely terrifying. But calling the threat Rhodes and co poses Mickey Mouse? Without those idiots the invasion would not have taken place.

To me, the "zombie apocalypse" as it's become known, is a really terrifying concept. But, it really has only been done right once and that's 'Day of the Dead', where Romero hit such ripe chord. In fact, it was so ripe a chord, it was rejected by fans of 'Dawn of the Dead' at first, as it completely abandoned the "fun" of the first sequel. 'Day of the Dead' and it's spectacular gore effects show clearly and horribly the consequences of being a zombie lunch. There isn't another zombie movie that shows that in such a graphic way. Attacks are usually a bite here and there and somebody turning. But, the attack on Rickles in Day is yet to be bettered in any film. It's truly horrifying.

It's yet to be seen whether 'The Walking Dead' won't implode, but it'll need to up the ante to a large degree if it's to beat the "Darkest Day of horror the world has ever known..."

Absolutely. But, and I take it you are familiar with the comics, if they let some of the gruesomeness play out the same way as in the source material we are in for a treat come season three when they will (hopefully) tackle the governor...
Also note that in those comics the biggest threat to our beloved characters is posed by ... humans!
Some of the things that befall certain main characters are going to be hard putting on cable that's for sure!

shootemindehead
21-Jun-2011, 09:29 AM
But calling the threat Rhodes and co poses Mickey Mouse? Without those idiots the invasion would not have taken place...

Mickey Mouse in comparison to the 100 or so zombies that found their way into silo. Compared to that, Rhodes' nonsense is pale.

The thing about Rhodes, aside from him being a dick, is that I think he was mostly mouth. He's clearly a character on the edge, but without the "...those are my men in there..." revelation, I don't think he would have done much. The threat to Sarah probably would have remained verbal and she was well able for it too. Aside from that, the biggest worry would have been him taking the chopper and buggering off. even though Rhodes loathed his "mission", I cannot see him going into overdrive without the Logan factor.

As for The Governor. I simply cannot see the producers going down this step fully. It's long been my opinion that Rooker's character will be molded into some sort of Governor composite. But, I doubt that AMC will have the balls to put on screen what he does in the comics. However, I really think that the "real monsters are us" cliche is a bit overdone in regards to the "zombie apocalypse". I don't think that choice between psycho human characters and a horde of undead is that much of a choice. I'd rather avoid both.

bassman
21-Jun-2011, 07:45 PM
First Day of Shooting Season Two (http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/videos/inside-the-walking-dead-first-day-of-shooting-season-2)

Sorry to anyone outside the states. I'll put up the youtube version as soon as its available.

EDIT:

XevpXM82ltM

rongravy
21-Jun-2011, 09:51 PM
Weird, but even though I'm still waiting semi-nonpatiently for season 2 to start, I'm already wondering if we'll have a huge wait for season 3 as well...

bassman
21-Jun-2011, 10:02 PM
Weird, but even though I'm still waiting semi-nonpatiently for season 2 to start, I'm already wondering if we'll have a huge wait for season 3 as well...

It will be October 2012 or later. I don't understand why people can't wrap their heads around AMC's scheduling. It's always a year between their seasons. Sometimes slightly longer...

blind2d
21-Jun-2011, 10:22 PM
I think I might not check this thread out anymore... I want it to be a surprise...

Rancid Carcass
22-Jun-2011, 01:57 AM
I think I might not check this thread out anymore... I want it to be a surprise...

Yeah, I know what you mean. Big Frankie D burning his ass - totally blown the whole of series two for me now... I'm pretty sure that wasn't in the graphic novel either! ;) :lol:

bassman
22-Jun-2011, 12:45 PM
Pruitt Taylor Vince (http://www.tvline.com/2011/06/walking-dead-casting-pruitt-taylor-vince-otis/) has been reportedly cast as Otis. If you're familiar with the comics, you know he plays an important role in things to come.

Also, you Merle haters should get a kick out of this:

http://www.joblo.com/images_arrownews/mr01.jpg

AMC is pushing for Michael Rooker to win an emmy for his role as Merle Dixon. I would push for Andrew Lincoln, but whatever...

Neil
22-Jun-2011, 01:36 PM
I would push for Andrew Lincoln, but whatever...
I thought his accent was poor (at times)?

bassman
22-Jun-2011, 01:41 PM
I thought his accent was poor (at times)?

Ehh....his southern accent was a bit shakey, but probably only people from the area would notice that. Otherwise, he gave a wide range of performances and the show is basically from his perspective, so I would've went with best lead actor in a dramatic series rather than a guest actor with only about 15 minutes of screen time....

darth los
22-Jun-2011, 03:34 PM
At last some info. Thanks Bassman[COLOR="Silver"]

http://media.amctv.com/photo-gallery/TWD-Season-2-Production-Photos/First-Look-Walkers-Makeup-760.jpg

Ooh, look! Big daddy's younger brother ! Are we absolutely sure this isn't Eugene Clarke?

:D

:cool:

bassman
22-Jun-2011, 03:54 PM
That's big daddy's cousin, rayray. BD controlled the tire rotation and oil changing business in the north, while rayray controlled the south. The other five families respected their grip on the industry, but were angry when they wouldn't share the politicians in their pockets....

darth los
22-Jun-2011, 05:10 PM
That's big daddy's cousin, rayray. BD controlled the tire rotation and oil changing business in the north, while rayray controlled the south. The other five families respected their grip on the industry, but were angry when they wouldn't share the politicians in their pockets....

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

See Bass? I knew you had some comedy in you !

But seriously, that movie sounds exponentially better than the final cut.

MoonSylver
22-Jun-2011, 10:31 PM
Bassy has fallen in with a bad crowd without you around to keep him on the straight n' narrow...:sneaky: ;)

darth los
23-Jun-2011, 01:36 AM
Bassy has fallen in with a bad crowd without you around to keep him on the straight n' narrow...:sneaky: ;)

:lol: LOL Moon

BM has a good head on his shoulders. I've always been the hotheaded wise ass. Me thinks with my absence there was no yin to his yang so he had to evolve into a comedian. (If that makes any sense) ;)

And did ya notice i Used the words HEAD and YANG in the same thought? If anyone would I know would be you moon. lolz

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Danny
23-Jun-2011, 02:29 AM
Pruitt Taylor Vince (http://www.tvline.com/2011/06/walking-dead-casting-pruitt-taylor-vince-otis/) has been reportedly cast as Otis. If you're familiar with the comics, you know he plays an important role in things to come.

Also, you Merle haters should get a kick out of this:

http://www.joblo.com/images_arrownews/mr01.jpg

AMC is pushing for Michael Rooker to win an emmy for his role as Merle Dixon. I would push for Andrew Lincoln, but whatever...

i love miechal rooker in most things but best guest actor? he was playing a generic cliche role "evil white southern american" and not particularly well either.

clanglee
23-Jun-2011, 03:06 AM
i love miechal rooker in most things but best guest actor? he was playing a generic cliche role "evil white southern american" and not particularly well either.

Not particularly well? I believe Michael Rooker has probably has more experience playing the "evil white Southern American" than just about anybody!!. . besides maybe Strom Thurmond ;)

Danny
23-Jun-2011, 03:38 AM
Not particularly well? I believe Michael Rooker has probably has more experience playing the "evil white Southern American" than just about anybody!!. . besides maybe Strom Thurmond ;)

yeah and he has done it better already, look at slither. he kinda sucked in the walking dead.

MoonSylver
23-Jun-2011, 05:19 AM
yeah and he has done it better already, look at slither. he kinda sucked in the walking dead.

The Artist Formerly Known As Hellsing hates all things "Walking Dead". Nothing to see here. ;) :D

clanglee
24-Jun-2011, 01:45 AM

Nah, he did it better in Missisippi Burning. . .and I found his Walking Dead performance pretty much on par with that.

Tom Price
25-Jun-2011, 02:10 AM
Me thinks!

All you USA

UK asskissers GOT A SCREW LOOSE

Don't see me or anyone in my vicinity saying Neighbours or Colour

MoonSylver
25-Jun-2011, 04:36 AM
Me thinks!

All you USA

UK asskissers GOT A SCREW LOOSE

Don't see me or anyone in my vicinity saying Neighbours or Colour

It resembles english...and yet...:rockbrow:

Are you sure you're not a spambot? :lol:

bassman
27-Jun-2011, 12:00 PM
TV's Hershel, Scott Wilson:
http://www.joblo.com/images_arrownews/scottwilson627.jpg

TV's Maggie, Lauren Cohan:
http://www.joblo.com/images_arrownews/laurencohan627.jpg

Both announced by TVguide.

Neil
27-Jun-2011, 01:15 PM
^^ OK! Second season looks even more appealing now!

darth los
27-Jun-2011, 04:02 PM
It resembles english...and yet...:rockbrow:

Are you sure you're not a spambot? :lol:

Only one way to know for sure moon. Mr. Price, type the letters you see in this box in your reply please.

Tangible Cougar

krisvds
27-Jun-2011, 06:23 PM
^^
lol

kidgloves
28-Jun-2011, 07:16 PM
^^ OK! Second season looks even more appealing now!

Letcher!!!

Bloody Disgusting interview - Darabont to direct the season finale :)

Currently gearing up for a highly-anticipated Season Two is Frank Darabont's The Walking Dead, the wildly popular TV adaptation of the Robert Kirkman comic book series that debuted to stellar ratings on AMC last fall.

At this past Friday's Saturn Awards I managed to catch up with Darabont and executive producer Gale Ann Hurd (Walking Dead won for Best Television Presentation, with Darabont also taking home the George Pal Memorial Award) to talk about what we might expect in upcoming episodes.

Topics covered include how gory we can expect the second season to get, what popular character from the comics will be showing up in Season Three, and the behind-the-scenes writer's room controversy that made headlines last November. You can check out the full (very interesting) conversation inside.

Note: As there was a small contingent of reporters participating in this interview, I have noted "BD" before any question asked by me personally.

Q: In Season Two, what's the ratio of material that's based on the comic book vs. the ratio of new material, as opposed to what the ratio was in Season One?

Frank Darabont: I think we're kind of following the same...if there was a ratio, a measurable ratio...

Gale Ann Hurd: By the way, at Robert Kirkman's behest. It's not just coming from those of us who didn't create the material, it's coming from the originator. And he keeps telling us that he's gonna be incorporating some storylines and characters from the series in the graphic novels.

Bloody Disgusting: Frank, will you be directing any Season 2 episodes?

FD: Hoping to do the last one. Hoping to do the 13th episode. That remains entirely...[re: Gale] if she lets me!

GAH: It's more about the exigencies of post-production and the demands...

FD: Yeah, post and getting the scripts done in time, and balancing everything against the post schedule, which is relentless. You know, it's one of those...I'd hate to not to do it. So I'm gonna try, I'm really gonna try. It would suck not to.

Q: You're like the anti-Spielberg -

FD: [He and Gale begin to laugh heartily] So if I'm the anti-Spielberg, is that like anti-matter? If we actually meet does the universe explode? What happens?

Q: [Clarifying] His films are about the redemption of the patriarch, and how the father always saves everything. And your films seem to continually end with the father being proven wrong, or in some way being proven invalid. And I'm wondering where that came from.

FD: Oh, this is like a therapist's couch now! [Laughs] Well, without getting too far into my relationship with my father, I'm sure that there is some complication that went into that, you know? I'm sure it shows up in my work probably. But I think my fathers are kinder, I think their intentions are better. Whether things go right or wrong, at least their hearts are in the right place. More than I can say for my dad! [Laughs]

Q: As a big horror fan yourself and connoisseur, is it tough sometimes to create a new zombie kill? Because you're aware of what's come before, you're aware of how many different classic kills there have been. So in the show, do you feel some pressure in that regard?

FD: Yes, absolutely. But I'm telling you right now, we have in episode 2, we have as unique a scene that's never been done before - if it has, I'm going to jump off the cliff here - because I'm certain it's as unique as when they chopped up the zombie in episode 2 of the first season. It's a very unique little scene.

GAH: And Greg Nicotero and his KNB Effects team are back. In fact, Greg, we left him sweating in Atlanta this morning! [Laughs]

FD: Yeah, he took over second unit from me this morning when I got in the van to come here, to get to the airport and come here.

Q: So overall, is it the same amount of gore this season, would you say? Because audiences have embraced it, are you guys more comfortable with doing more on-screen gore?

GAH: We're always comfortable! It's Standards and Practices! [Laughs] [But] they've been pretty comfortable.

FD: Yeah, my favorite thing...by the way, in the three-disc set that's coming out - and I'm not stumping for people to go out and buy it - but Constantine Nasr has done a fantastic documentary, it's like an hour-long thing, of the entire six episodes. [It's] a very behind-the-scenes, boots-on-the-ground documentary, it's really, really good. And my favorite line is when we were discussing the axe. [to GAH] Remember that? [She smiles and nods] That we were gonna chop the zombie up with? And I said, 'there's no such thing as too big an axe'. That's the philosophy of the show I've realized! There's no such thing as too big an axe!

Q: You have a non-traditional writing staff this season, and I wanted to know how that has affected the ability to create a season arc -

GAH: [Bristling] How is that non-traditional? We have a writer's room.

Q: Oh, cause I had read -

GAH: Well, don't believe everything you read!

Q: Well, can you explain where that came from then?

FD: Uh, yeah. The big sensational headline last year was 'Darabont fires entire writing staff!' [he's referring to a story that originated on Nikke Finke's Deadline.com] It sounded like I went in and slaughtered twelve people and threw their bodies in a dumpster! It's not the case at all. There were two writers that i didn't invite back from last year, for reasons that I needn't go into, but no, we put together a really good, solid regular staff this year, and they're doing inspired work. You know, the only sense that it's non-traditional is in the sense that I'm encouraging these folks, guys and gal, to really color outside the lines and swing for the fences and not just sort of hit the marks of television writing, but to try and do something really unique and different. And they're really rising to the challenge.

GAH: And sort of following the British model, which is to turn in - everyone breaks story together, and then go off and write their episodes so that we actually had eight scripts written [for the first eight episodes, each by writers] before we started shooting.

FD: Yeah, before we started filming we had eight scripts in place, which is really nice! Yeah, you can really see the arcs there and see the connective tissue that needs to happen, and make those things happen. You know, when you have eight scripts in front of you it's fantastic.

GAH: And now [they're writing] the back five [episodes].

Q: Since you only had six episodes in the first season and now you have thirteen, are there any characters from the first season that you wish you could've given more attention to that you think in particular are blossoming this season?

FD: Oh god, I think they're all blossoming this season. Everybody's going through some fantastic changes, aren't they? Everybody's going to get more time, of course, more weight, more screen time, more emphasis. I'm really...

GAH: And Andy [Lincoln] gets a day off! [Laughs]

FD: And Andy Lincoln gets a day off here and there! Yes, exactly!

BD: How long can you see this going past the second season? Is this a show you can see going for six years, seven years...?

FD: Of course!

GAH: Well, when you consider that Robert Kirkman has over 80 issues of his comic book...and he's still going strong and won the Eisner Award last summer...

FD: Yeah, I think so...and also given that we're expanding the material instead of collapsing it as we go, oh yeah!

BD: Do you think this is going to lead to more horror on TV, given how big a hit it is?

FD: It's so weird to me that on DirectTV when it comes up, you know, they have the description of it on the guide - they still won't refer to it as horror!

BD: What do they call it?

FD: At first it was science-fiction, and I was going...uh, not by my definition! Then it's like some kind of thriller definition...they won't call it horror! It's a horror show for god's sake! It's frustrating...how is that not horror?

Q: How have you been able to consistently do mainstream, glossy Hollywood fare and more grungy horror stuff at the same time? I can't think of any other director that's been able to do both. How do you get away with it?

FD: Really? Cause I'm a lucky son of a bitch, I guess. I mean, I love both. I really love both. I love the luxury of the schedule, but in a weird way I kind of love the insanity and the pressure of no schedule. I seem to be doing okay in it. I may unravel and start gibbering like Renfield in Dracula one of these days. But I'm hanging in there so far. [To GAH] How about you?

GAH: As long as we finish the casting tonight. [Laughs]

FD: Gayle, you've done the same thing though, I mean you've done big budgets, you've done small budgets -

GAH: But I've mostly stayed in science fiction, fantasy, and horror. Mostly.

Q: The fans have their favorite characters from the comic of course, one of which was Glenn, and he seemed to get applause when he was first shown at Comic Con. Can you talk at all about how we might see his role furthered in this? I mean obviously he gets a girlfriend in the comics -

GAH: [Laughs] Steven Yeun [the actor who plays Glenn] certainly thinks that's pretty cool!

FD: Yeah, he's pretty happy about that, yeah. [Laughs]

Q: Will that happen pretty early in the second season?

FD: Oh, along the way. Not 'early early', but we're getting there.

Q: And the other one is Michonne, she's huge in the comics. Any chance we might see her this season?

FD: I can officially tell you Michonne is coming in third season.

GAH: If we get a third season! [Laughs] So everyone better watch Season Two if they want a Season Three!

Q: Are you casting for that now?

GAH: No, no.

FD: No, that's later, yeah.

[Note: Some non-horror talk omitted here]

Q: For 'Walking Dead', is there a character each of you identify with or relate to the most?

GAH: Andrea.

Q: Why is that?

GAH: Well because, you know, people don't expect that she's going to become the warrior that she becomes...

FD: Boy, is that a fun arc we're doing this season! Oh my god! I love them all, I love them all, I really care about them all. And I hate that we've killed some of them. I feel dirty when I do it, you know?

GAH: We keep talking about it like it's a soap opera. Do they have a twin? Can they come back in a dream sequence? [Laughs]

FD: It's just so sad, you know?

Q: Could we see flashbacks with any of them, like Emma Bell?

FD: She keeps saying she should be an angel or a ghost, right?

GAH: Right, yes.

FD: I keep telling her it's the wrong show. [Laughs] But we love her!

GAH: 'Touched By a Zombie Angel'.

FD: She keeps coming by...you know, she lives in Los Feliz, so she keeps coming by the office and having lunch with my staff, and with Jess, and [producer] Denise [M. Huth], it's really fun. She's really sweet. She's a really sweet girl. And we said goodbye to her too soon. I think if we'd had a thirteen episode season, we would've been able to stretch that out a bit, but we had to get rid of her. We still miss her.

BD: Yeah, that was a sad death, I have to say.

FD: That sucked! [Laughs] But she's so good. It was so good though, the two gals.

GAH: They really bonded!

FD: Laurie [Holden] and Emma.

GAH: Didn't they have birthdays on the same day?

FD: They were born the same day, yeah, as it turns out.

BD: As a fan of 'The Mist', are there any future horror features for you?

FD: Oh gosh, yeah, I'd love to! I don't have anything specific in mind. One spends one's life looking for good material, hoping for good material, and then you spend the other half of your life hoping somebody will say yes to it when you find it. That's the obstacle course of our business, isn't it? It's frustrating!

Q: You were talking about Standards and Practices. Have there ever been any gory moments – i.e. any 'axe too big' - for them?

FD: No, no.

GAH: No. No axe too big!

FD: No, geez, Melissa McBride buries a pickaxe in her dead husband's head, in wonderful close-up with huge splatters of blood that hits the lens!

GAH: And we kill a zombie girl. A kid.

Q: The very first scene.

GAH: Yes! [Laughs]

FD: The mission statement of the show was like that first scene.

GAH: Right up front!

Q: Was that what it was? Were you guys just trying to define what the show was up front, and say if this isn't for you, then stop watching now?

FD: Well, you know, when I say 'mission statement', it wasn't really done in a calculated day, it wasn't purpose-built for that reason. I just thought that it was a really cool scene to pull us into that world in a teaser. But it became that, in a sense. When we were cutting the show together I remember turning to Gale going 'wow look, we killed a seven-year-old in the first scene. It is kind of our mission statement, isn't it? It kind of like really sets the tone. It clues the audience in, 'if you don't dig this kind of stuff, you really should just tune out now. But if you do think this is intriguing, then stick around', you know?

bassman
28-Jun-2011, 07:34 PM
FD: Yeah, my favorite thing...by the way, in the three-disc set that's coming out - and I'm not stumping for people to go out and buy it - but Constantine Nasr has done a fantastic documentary, it's like an hour-long thing, of the entire six episodes. [It's] a very behind-the-scenes, boots-on-the-ground documentary, it's really, really good. And my favorite line is when we were discussing the axe. [to GAH] Remember that? [She smiles and nods] That we were gonna chop the zombie up with? And I said, 'there's no such thing as too big an axe'. That's the philosophy of the show I've realized! There's no such thing as too big an axe!

HAWT DAMN!!!!! Finally confirmation of the special edition! I f*cking knew it! :hyper: :thumbsup:

You just made my week Kid! Thank you very much.

AcesandEights
28-Jun-2011, 07:35 PM
TV's Maggie, Lauren Cohan:
http://www.joblo.com/images_arrownews/laurencohan627.jpg

Nice piece of ass, but I wish they'd cast someone a little more average looking for the role. I'd like to see less Hollywood and more grit.

kidgloves
28-Jun-2011, 07:47 PM
Nice piece of ass, but I wish they'd cast someone a little more average looking for the role. I'd like to see less Hollywood and more grit.

Take the makeup off her and she aint all that glam. Her natural beauty shines through though

AcesandEights
28-Jun-2011, 07:56 PM
Take the makeup off her and she aint all that glam. Her natural beauty shines through though

No doubt she'll look rough around the edges at points for the series, but it still seems like bunny-casting and a glam move.

bassman
28-Jun-2011, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I don't think that first picture really does her justice. A slightly more natural look here...

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/6400000/Lauren-Cohan-lauren-cohan-6407311-700-500.jpg

http://www.galawallpapers.net/photo/78309/Lauren_Cohan_0.jpg

Hopefully she's a good actress.

AcesandEights
28-Jun-2011, 08:03 PM
I have my fingers really crossed on the scripting and directing fronts. I worry a proper level of gloom will not be maintained.

MinionZombie
29-Jun-2011, 07:59 AM
HAWT DAMN!!!!! Finally confirmation of the special edition! I f*cking knew it! :hyper: :thumbsup:

You just made my week Kid! Thank you very much.

Awww yeah! :cool:

Now that I'll buy - here's hoping they also have the fully uncut episodes on there too (there were some trims, reportedly, on a couple of the episodes on the original release).

bassman
29-Jun-2011, 12:09 PM
Awww yeah! :cool:

Now that I'll buy - here's hoping they also have the fully uncut episodes on there too (there were some trims, reportedly, on a couple of the episodes on the original release).

Was that only the R2 release or both? I don't think there were any cuts on the R1, but I could be wrong.

So glad to hear the first season will be getting a proper feature-length documentary. Exactly what I was hoping for. If they're going that far, you can bet there will also be commentaries for every episode. Maybe multiple.

The official announcement should be coming soon if they're going to release this three disc set before/during October.

MinionZombie
29-Jun-2011, 12:25 PM
Aye hopefully this will be a fully loaded set. :)

As for the cuts, I'd heard that it was all releases (being that the R2 is just a straight copy of the originating R1 set) - although the first episode is said to be totally uncut, while IIRC two of the other five episodes (one of them being "Guts") had some trims for some strange reason to some gore moments.

I think I read about this on The Melon Farmers website.

Thorn
29-Jun-2011, 04:33 PM
Nah, he did it better in Missisippi Burning. . .and I found his Walking Dead performance pretty much on par with that.

What is this I don't even

clanglee
06-Jul-2011, 08:15 PM
What is this I don't even

Michael Rooker played a poor white trash racist in Missisippi Burning as well. . . . . \:|

bassman
10-Jul-2011, 09:39 PM
50 on-set photos (http://www.examiner.com/tv-in-new-orleans/50-pics-and-five-videos-from-the-set-of-the-walking-dead-season-two)

Caution - MILD location spoiler photos.

Interesting to note that the hospital is featured. Even more flashbacks? I had previously seen the photos of the exterior of the hospital from 'Vatos'. I'm thinking maybe they swing by there on their way out of the city? It makes sense seeing as how they were in the middle of the city for the CDC...

Also the school gym. I know that school. Wish I could have shown up for filming.

MinionZombie
11-Jul-2011, 10:04 AM
50 on-set photos (http://www.examiner.com/tv-in-new-orleans/50-pics-and-five-videos-from-the-set-of-the-walking-dead-season-two)

Caution - MILD location spoiler photos.

Interesting to note that the hospital is featured. Even more flashbacks? I had previously seen the photos of the exterior of the hospital from 'Vatos'. I'm thinking maybe they swing by there on their way out of the city? It makes sense seeing as how they were in the middle of the city for the CDC...

Also the school gym. I know that school. Wish I could have shown up for filming.

*Creams jeans* ;)

bassman
13-Jul-2011, 05:58 PM
"First Look" video to premiere this Sunday during the premiere of Breaking Bad Season Four:

On Sunday, July 17th, during the premiere of season four of "Breaking Bad," AMC is sneaking a first-look video from the upcoming season of "The Walking Dead." Season one of "The Walking Dead" premiered in October 2010 and became the most watched drama series in basic cable history among Adults 18-49.* "The Walking Dead" tells the story of the months and years that follow after a zombie apocalypse. Season four of "Breaking Bad" premieres Sunday, July 17 at 10pm ET/PT.

You should be watching Breaking Bad anyway, but I guess this gives you more of a reason to tune in. Could this be Nicotero's Day-esque trailer?

ShadowMan
13-Jul-2011, 07:15 PM
"First Look" video to premiere this Sunday during the premiere of Breaking Bad Season Four:

You should be watching Breaking Bad anyway, but I guess this gives you more of a reason to tune in. Could this be Nicotero's Day-esque trailer?

One can dream! ;) I hope it is. I am so looking forward to the teaser and the entire 2nd season. Let the fun begin!

blind2d
13-Jul-2011, 08:25 PM
Why would I watch Breaking Bad? Isn't it about science and drugs? Boooriiiing!

Mike70
18-Jul-2011, 06:08 PM
is this pile of whale feces still being talked about on here in the manner of chimps fervently masturbating to red asses? jesus h. christ in a golden chariot driven side-car, this fucking show SUCKS and is a complete and total talky piece of shit. now, i'll tell you how i really feel. :lol:

btw, bassman, why do you have the symbols for bromine and barium in your avatar??

bassman
21-Jul-2011, 12:08 PM
is this pile of whale feces still being talked about on here in the manner of chimps fervently masturbating to red asses? jesus h. christ in a golden chariot driven side-car, this fucking show SUCKS and is a complete and total talky piece of shit. now, i'll tell you how i really feel.

http://www.dor-lomin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/lebowski-opinion.jpg

btw, bassman, why do you have the symbols for bromine and barium in your avatar??

Breaking Bad. Another show that i'm sure you'll hate on...

-- -------- Post added 21-Jul-2011 at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was 18-Jul-2011 at 02:56 PM ----------

2011 Comic Con Booth (http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2011/07/comic-con-2011-booth-photos.php). With a creepy Micheal Rooker recreation from Nicotero.

http://media.amctv.com/photo-gallery/TWD-CCI-11-Booth-Photos/Booth-Wide-760.jpg

Can't wait to see what leaks from the panel. Just hours away, it seems.

kidgloves
08-Aug-2011, 10:58 AM
Just a few bits of info that don't really need their own thread.

Shooting will continue up until early November. Whats the weather like around this time of year in Georgia?
There are going to be more flashbacks including some to show Shane and Lori's relationship pre-apocalypse. These flashbacks will only be pre-credit sequence so the show doesn't fall into the Lost way of telling the story. It looks like more horses will be the preferred method of transport this season with the group spending most of this years episodes at the farm.

MinionZombie
08-Aug-2011, 11:45 AM
I like the idea of pre-credits, 'cold open' flashbacks to events set during season one. :)

bassman
08-Aug-2011, 12:19 PM
Whats the weather like around this time of year in Georgia?

Right now it's a sauna. Around 100 degrees fahrenheit every day there is no rain. VERY humid, which just makes it feel hotter. As we creep into October and November the temperature will obviously drop, but it's nothing drastic. We won't have any snow or anything. So on screen you won't be able to tell the difference. Unless of course they put down fake snow or something.

shootemindehead
08-Aug-2011, 02:13 PM
There are going to be more flashbacks including some to show Shane and Lori's relationship pre-apocalypse.

Oh YAWN!!!!!!!!

This guy needs to die this season.

-- -------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Right now it's a sauna. Around 100 degrees fahrenheit every day there is no rain.

Jesus...that 38 degrees for us normal people :)

I couldn't deal with that heat Bassy. That would kill me. Anything over 15-20 degrees C and I'm beginning to dislike it.

bassman
15-Aug-2011, 06:32 PM
Dispatches from the Set: Ernest Dickerson (http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2011/08/ernest-dickerson-interview.php)

Having helmed one of my favorite episodes from the first season(Wildfire), i'm glad to hear he's directing both episodes two and three for the new season.

-- -------- Post added 15-Aug-2011 at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was 08-Aug-2011 at 07:49 PM ----------

Dispatches from the set: Cinematographer and new director David Boyd (http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2011/08/david-boyd-interview.php)

Some discussion on Hershel's farm and a small mention of "putting it all out" between Rick and Lori. Hrmmm....I wonder if that means what I think it means? :elol:

Rancid Carcass
29-Aug-2011, 11:53 PM
Some interesting info on IGN:

http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/119/1191443p1.html

Is it just me or is this getting just a little bit weird now...?

:duh:

shootemindehead
30-Aug-2011, 07:57 AM
Yes, weird and stupid.

Just put the feckin money into the actual show, for christ's sake.

MinionZombie
30-Aug-2011, 09:44 AM
Agreed - what a stupid f*cking idea. Invest the money in the show itself! The budget shouldn't have even been cut in the first place, and Darabont should have never been ditched either - whoever is making these moronic decisions needs to be fired, QUICK. Get some common sense into AMC's management for crying out loud.

bassman
01-Sep-2011, 06:36 PM
Dispatches From The Set - New Show-Runner Glen Mazzara (http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2011/08/glen-mazzara-interview.php)

-- -------- Post added 01-Sep-2011 at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was 30-Aug-2011 at 02:14 PM ----------

Much like the first season, Season Two will start with a 90 minute episode.

AMC's critically acclaimed original series, "The Walking Dead," is back with its much anticipated second 13 episode season. Kicking-off a two week long Fearfest, the network, once again, presents viewers with a 90-minute premiere episode, airing at 9 PM ET on Sunday, October 16th, with six one-hour episodes in the weeks following. The final six episodes of the season commences on Sunday, February 12th at 9pm ET. The 90 minute version is also scheduled to be launched globally on all Fox International Channels, following the US premiere the week of October 17th-23rd. Season two reaches FOX audiences in 122 countries, speaking 35 languages and is seen by over 200 million households globally.

In conjunction with "The Walking Dead," beginning with the February 12th airing, AMC also announces the unscripted series "Secret Stash" executive produced by Kevin Smith (Clerks, Chasing Amy, Mall Rats), Charlie Corwin from Original Media (LA Ink, Miami Ink, Storm Chasers and Swamp People) and Elyse Seiden (Red State).

A break in the middle of the season?? A Kevin Smith reality show? Ugh....AMC desperately needs to get their shit together.

kidgloves
01-Sep-2011, 07:38 PM
Woohoo. 90 minute premiere. Not bothered by the break. Gives them more time in post production.

MinionZombie
02-Sep-2011, 10:09 AM
The mix-season break thing always annoys me. Schedule it better so that it runs in one go ffs.

I want to see "Secret Stash", I've been hearing about it on SModcast.com and I'm a big fan of the Tell 'Em Steve-Dave podcast - but you circle back to 'are AMC biting off more than they can chew?'

Sammich
02-Sep-2011, 08:30 PM
Agreed - what a stupid f*cking idea. Invest the money in the show itself! The budget shouldn't have even been cut in the first place, and Darabont should have never been ditched either - whoever is making these moronic decisions needs to be fired, QUICK. Get some common sense into AMC's management for crying out loud.

All you have to do is look at the MBA "corporate mentality". Their ONLY concern is short term profits to line their own pockets and then move on like locusts to strip another company bare. You can see just how far this has metastasized into pretty much all facets of big business. It is near impossible to find any products being produced that are high quality and long lasting. High volume and made cheaply as possible is now the accepted mantra.

The "season break" tactic has always been used to intentionally drive away new and non-hardcore viewers of a show that the execs want to throw under the bus. The plan is that after the break the suits can say "TWD ratings are too low to justify the cost/benefit ratio of continuing beyond this season. The new "reality" show has demonstrated enough support and advertising income to allow it to take over this time slot." TWD will then be pushed off into the hours of infomercials. Oh but the scheme doesn't stop there. If the reality show does bomb, then they will revert to their MBA training and find someone in marketing to use as a scapegoat.

It is too bad that Kirkman wasn't able to get HBO or Showtime to pick up TWD.

Ghoulman
03-Sep-2011, 02:52 AM
The mid-season break doesn't bother me in the least. Most TV series have been running repeats through December and January for as long as I can remember anyway. Not to mention that Season 2 will be filming through November and this will give them two extra months of post production to spiffy shit up-and that's a good thing. Then of course the brightest side yet is that we get a brief 6 month hiatus between seasons instead of one waaaay too long, absolutely rediculous, bitter as hell, zombie-starving, blue balls aching, fanboy crushing, cluster-fuck, rampent rumor mill, speculative half-assed bullshit, ten months off between seasons. But that's just my opinion.

bassman
12-Sep-2011, 06:40 PM
A Day on the Set of The Walking Dead - Part 1 (http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2011/09/a-day-on-the-walking-dead-set-part-i.php)

This is Part I of AMCtv.com's two-part report from the set of The Walking Dead. Check back tomorrow to see the conclusion. New Dispatches From the Set are released every week throughout the production.

On a misty morning 40 miles outside of Atlanta, actor Andrew Lincoln, who plays Rick Grimes on The Walking Dead, stands beneath a tent on set. Behind him lies a Victorian farmhouse that will constitute a major setting within the show's second season, but today the action will be taking place in a valley below, where the show's production designer Greg Melton has built a menacing structure of splintered wood and rusted metal that looks like it's been sitting in that spot for 100 years. (In fact, the barn was constructed for the series out of brand-new material.)

Lincoln and the rest of the cast are psyching themselves up for what's to come: A major action scene that will be the culmination of Season 2's first main story arc. Standing in a distant field, Jon Bernthal, who plays Rick's partner Shane, listens to his iPod, bouncing back and forth on his feet and jabbing his fists in the air, Rocky-style.

Lincoln too is listening to his iPod -- a "Rick Grimes Mix" filled with country artists like Waylan Jennings to whom, he imagines, his character would enjoy listening. He speaks with a Southern drawl even when the cameras aren't rolling, and his voice is hoarse from yesterday's rehearsals, in which both he and Jon Bernthal had to scream at each other again and again. "I told Jon if we haven't lost our voices by the end of the day, we haven't done our jobs," he tells me. "So we're having a contest."

Lincoln looks different from the Rick Grimes we met in Season 1. He's eschewed his sheriff's uniform for a dark green button-up and black jeans (although the utility belt with his now-infamous "Python" revolver remains safely secured around his waist.) His hair is also longer, as is his beard. When I mention the disheveled, bearded Rick from later issues of Robert Kirkman's comic, he nods knowingly. "Growin' my beard, growin' my hair," he says, "depending on how much time passes between seasons, it'll get even longer." He hands me his gun, and I'm surprised at how heavy it is. "That's why Rick always grimaces when he fires it," he jokes.

I walk over to Laurie Holden, who plays Andrea in the show and is being misted with water to simulate sweat. Come the afternoon, when temperatures on the farm will reach 102 degrees, such measures will no longer be necessary. But for now the make-up break gives me an opportunity to ask her about what lies ahead today for Andrea.

"I'm excited. It's time for Andrea to get it together and stop crying over Amy," she tells me, referencing her character's sister -- killed in Season 1. I ask her about a particularly gory walker confrontation she filmed earlier for Season 2, and for a moment she's baffled. "That feels like a totally different life, Andrea's changed so much. She used to be all..." Here Holden raises her arms, rolls her eyes back and screams disorientedly. Now, she says, when she sees a walker, it's just something to kill.

It's 8AM now, and two vans approach the set: the day's scheduled 21 walkers have arrived. They range from background extras -- for whom the make-up is less comprehensive -- to featured zombies whose roles are integral to the plot (Think Season 1's Bicycle Girl or Morgan's wife) to stunt zombies, for whom an arsenal of 150 "squibs" -- miniature explosives designed to mimic a gunshot wound -- are awaiting for the day's festivities.

The zombies - along with The Walking Dead's Special FX Makeup Guru Greg Nicotero and his team from KNB FX -- have been working since 3AM to be ready to shoot at first light. At 5AM, the episode's director Michelle MacLaren enters the makeup trailer to give notes on a featured zombie. "I think it's important her face isn't too horrific-looking," Nicotero tells Andy Schoenberg, one of the makeup artists. MacLaren chimes in that it would be good if her face had some scratches on it, so the CG artists know where to place the gunshot wound.

"How're they gonna make my face explode?" the extra asks. "I never know what's practical make-up and what's digital."

"Sometimes we don't either," Schoenberg replies.

For Season 2, Nicotero has enhanced the zombie make-ups to emphasize the decay the creatures are going through. This means accentuating cheekbones and brow to give the extras sunken eyes and hollow cheeks. The prosthetics that create this effect are called "Lone Rangers" because they're applied as a bandit-like face mask.

"I look like my Aunt Fae who runs the Pentecostal church in Brunswick," Amber, the aforementioned walker, says after her Lone Ranger is in place.

"You look like a cross between Winona Ryder and Uma Thurman," Nicotero corrects as he puts the finishing touches on another zombie.

"You look more dead," he tells this second zombie, whose hair has been given a healthy dose of conditioner to make it look greasy. "You don't look quite as handsome."

Check back tomorrow for the second part of AMCtv.com's exclusive reporting from the set of The Walking Dead

Mike70
12-Sep-2011, 11:11 PM
[IMG]

Breaking Bad. Another show that i'm sure you'll hate on...[COLOR="Silver"]

ahaha! i finally made it back to this thread. that is almost clever doing the logo like that. yes, i do hate on the show. it's based in the real world and deals with a guy that i would consider to be an absolute piece of shit - a manufactuer of meth.

Skold
14-Sep-2011, 01:17 PM
Season 2 poster:

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/TWD-S2-Key-Art-796x1176.jpg

Neil
14-Sep-2011, 01:54 PM
More importantly... When in the UK?

bassman
14-Sep-2011, 03:47 PM
More importantly... When in the UK?

FXUK says "Coming October", so you'll definitely have it within two weeks of the US. I imagine it will be about the same as last year. What was it...a week after?

MinionZombie
14-Sep-2011, 04:47 PM
FXUK says "Coming October", so you'll definitely have it within two weeks of the US. I imagine it will be about the same as last year. What was it...a week after?

Last season it showed in the states on what, Sunday nights, and here in the UK it was Friday nights - so 5 days ... and I'd imagine it'd be the same again this year. Mind you, being on a zombie forum, those five days are tense as you seek to avoid spoilers, and then by the time you see it, all you Americalanders have talked at length about it and are about to see the next episode!

Speaking of it airing on FX last year - I do hope we don't have to have those dreadful "Joop!" sponsor adverts all the time. Those sucked hard.

kidgloves
16-Sep-2011, 10:23 AM
Check this out
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTYwNzIyMTExOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjEzNjg2Ng@@._ V1._SX640_SY426_.jpg (ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTYwNzIyMTExOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjEzNjg2Ng@@._ V1._SX640_SY426_.jpg)

bassman
16-Sep-2011, 12:23 PM
mmmm....looks like barbeque chicken...

Mike70
26-Sep-2011, 09:11 PM
you know, i've trashed this show left and right (after giving it several chances), but i'll admit i am a bit intrigued by what i've seen of the second season promos. if it is more of a horror show and less of a family drama, then i'll give it a whirl. but if they have simply been taking all the juicy, zombie fun moments (which there were decidedly NOT enough of in the first season) and stringing them together, the show can suck balls again.

bassman, that sig pic is utterly fucking classic. love it

bassman
27-Sep-2011, 01:58 AM
bassman, that sig pic is utterly fucking classic. love it

Thanks! I just wish I had noticed that Joel/Mike was tickling Peter's sack before I finished...

Mike70
27-Sep-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks! I just wish I had noticed that Joel/Mike was tickling Peter's sack before I finished...

Ha! that makes it even better. apparently peter isn't finding much joy in it though. :lol:

bassman
03-Oct-2011, 11:49 PM
New photos: http://blogs.amctv.com/photo-galleries/the-walking-dead-season-2-cast-photos/rick-lori-shane.php

Most of them are promotional cast photos, but there are a few in there that fans should recognize. I'm so far really enjoying the country look to this season. A nice change of pace from the city in the first season.

-- -------- Post added 03-Oct-2011 at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was 27-Sep-2011 at 12:41 PM ----------

Norman Reedus was just a guest on G4's Attack of the Show, where he dropped a few nuggets. With a slight smirk on his face he says "I'm sure that my big brother will return to cause some trouble."

Merle's back, folks...

MinionZombie
04-Oct-2011, 09:46 AM
I love that we have The Walking Dead to talk about ... without it there wasn't anything truly great in the genre happening, and consistently, to keep us all talking and chomping at the bit ... I wonder how they'll re-introduce Merle. It's already been said he won't be The Governor, which makes sense (although in the comics I've only just met the character, personally) ... so I wonder how he might come back.

However, more than that, I'm excited to see if Morgan comes back into it. The guy playing him did a stand out job in the first episode.

kidgloves
04-Oct-2011, 11:32 AM
You guys seem to be jumping to conclusions based on little pieces of information. Rooker was interviewed on a podcast last week and id sounded like he had NO idea if he was coming back

bassman
04-Oct-2011, 12:19 PM
You guys seem to be jumping to conclusions based on little pieces of information. Rooker was interviewed on a podcast last week and id sounded like he had NO idea if he was coming back

Half the fun of anticipating the return of the show is taking guesses and having discussions as to what will happen. Besides, even if he knows that his character is coming back, Rooker probably can't say anything because of the NDA he signs in his contract. Reedus didn't come out and say it for the same reasons, but the way he looked on the show gave a good hint. A sort of wink, wink.

Besides....it would be silly to NOT have the character return. Just like Morgan and Duane, they're not going to leave those characters as loose ends. Whether a large role, a small role, or just a mention in dialogue.....they'll be back.

bassman
12-Oct-2011, 04:44 PM
G4 visits the set of Season Two: http://www.g4tv.com/videos/55657/grace-helbig-visits-the-walking-dead-set/

kidgloves
16-Oct-2011, 10:25 AM
TWD marathon today methinks

MinionZombie
16-Oct-2011, 10:53 AM
TWD marathon today methinks

I see they've been re-showing it on FXUK, and TS-19 shows in the 9pm slot this coming Friday - followed immediately by the new episode - which, like last year, seems to be showing without adverts! :)

Last year they did that with Days Gone By as it was the "Director's Cut", so they showed it without adverts, and this year it seems to be the same deal - in America it's a "90 minute episode" - yeah, with adverts in it, but take those out and it comes to 70 minutes evidently. So, assuming I'm correct (and I don't see why I would be wrong on this particular issue), good on FXUK for their dedication to the show. :)

Another reminder, here in a different thread, for everyone - like last year I suggest we have a new thread for each new episode, so nobody finds themselves stumbling upon spoilers, and us Brits can join in on the new threads once we've seen the episode five days later (unless some of us are a bit cheeky that is :p). Personally I'm gonna doggedly watch it on FXUK to show my official support.

kidgloves
16-Oct-2011, 11:00 AM
I see they've been re-showing it on FXUK, and TS-19 shows in the 9pm slot this coming Friday - followed immediately by the new episode - which, like last year, seems to be showing without adverts! :)

Last year they did that with Days Gone By as it was the "Director's Cut", so they showed it without adverts, and this year it seems to be the same deal - in America it's a "90 minute episode" - yeah, with adverts in it, but take those out and it comes to 70 minutes evidently. So, assuming I'm correct (and I don't see why I would be wrong on this particular issue), good on FXUK for their dedication to the show. :)

Another reminder, here in a different thread, for everyone - like last year I suggest we have a new thread for each new episode, so nobody finds themselves stumbling upon spoilers, and us Brits can join in on the new threads once we've seen the episode five days later (unless some of us are a bit cheeky that is :p). Personally I'm gonna doggedly watch it on FXUK to show my official support.

If we use Lee's preview threads like we did last year everything should be groovy

bassman
16-Oct-2011, 01:49 PM
If we use Lee's preview threads like we did last year everything should be groovy

The problem with that is he's got two episodes in one thread. So by the time you guys can talk about episode 1, the US members will be talking about episode 2 in the same thread.

MZ - Maybe you should go ahead and make seperate threads to keep it all organized?

MinionZombie
16-Oct-2011, 04:05 PM
The problem with that is he's got two episodes in one thread. So by the time you guys can talk about episode 1, the US members will be talking about episode 2 in the same thread.

MZ - Maybe you should go ahead and make seperate threads to keep it all organized?

Your wish has been granted. :)

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?19410-TWD-2x01-quot-What-Lies-Ahead-quot-episode-discussion...-**SPOILERS-WITHIN**

Naturally I've "unsubscribed" myself from it until I'm ready to join in. :D