PDA

View Full Version : Apollo 18 - Paranormal Activity on the moon...

Neil
26-Jun-2011, 08:21 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Apollo-18-Trailer-It-s-Paranormal-Activity-On-The-Moon-25402.html

Hmm... Interesting idea, but I can't see it offering 90mins of entertainment?

JDFP
26-Jun-2011, 02:13 PM
This is one film I've been waiting for with GREAT anticipation! It's # 1 on my list of films I'm looking forward to seeing as part of my annual Halloween film-fest I do for myself every year. Unfortunately, I don't believe it's going to be released until after Halloween this year so it's going to be in slot # 1 for the 2012 annual film-bash for myself for Halloween of 2012.

j.p.

bassman
26-Jun-2011, 04:39 PM
This looks to be just as ridiculously funny as Paranormal Activity. And yeah I mean that in the worst way possible. I actually laughed through most of PA wondering if they confused their marketing strategy and it was really meant to be a comedy.

JDFP
26-Jun-2011, 04:45 PM
This looks to be just as ridiculously funny as Paranormal Activity. And yeah I mean that in the worst way possible. I actually laughed through most of PA wondering if they confused their marketing strategy and it was really meant to be a comedy.

I rather enjoyed both of the Paranormal Activity films. As far as I can see, the only real horror films being made today are these cinema-verite-light films (some of them great, some good, but very few that I've seen which are bad). The other 90% of "horror films" being made today are re-makes which are mostly garbage and sequels which are also mostly garbage (except the entertaining comedy horror-mock series "Scream" or "Final Destination" which I find rather entertaining for comic value). So, I celebrate when a cinema-verite-light horror flick like "Apollo 18" or "The Last Exorcism" come along as it's a rare look at seeing something different from the same ol' shit Hollywood keeps shoveling towards us.

j.p.

bassman
26-Jun-2011, 09:02 PM
It's not the style of the film, really. I like Blair Witch. It's just that Paranormal Activity wasn't scary at all. It was ridiculous. This might be better, but I get the taste of PA in my mouth while watching this trailer.

blind2d
27-Jun-2011, 11:41 PM
It's not the style of the film, really. I like Blair Witch. It's just that Paranormal Activity wasn't scary at all. It was ridiculous. This might be better, but I get the taste of PA in my mouth while watching this trailer.

Ditto. Also... Yeah. Maybe it's just the times we're living in, and people aren't as easily/readily scared as they used to be? The loss of innocence is so easy now... *sighs*

darth los
27-Jun-2011, 11:52 PM
Ditto. Also... Yeah. Maybe it's just the times we're living in, and people aren't as easily/readily scared as they used to be? The loss of innocence is so easy now... *sighs*

When you are bombarded with similar story lines, constant gore, thrills and scares you become desensitized to it. And that's the thing with today's audiences. It's going to take a bigger and better production each time in order to elicit the same reaction from each succesive generation of moviegoers.

NOTLD scared the living crap out of people once upon a time.

I rest my case your honor.

:cool:

JDFP
28-Jun-2011, 02:10 AM
When you are bombarded with similar story lines, constant gore, thrills and scares you become desensitized to it. And that's the thing with today's audiences. It's going to take a bigger and better production each time in order to elicit the same reaction from each succesive generation of moviegoers.

NOTLD scared the living crap out of people once upon a time.

I rest my case your honor.

:cool:

It still scares the crap out of me, honestly. You don't need CGI and "bigger production" out the wazzoo, you just have to tell a good story with good characters. Everything else falls into place. The problem isn't the lack of big booms and incredible CGI, it's a matter of Hollywood scrapping the telling of a good story with good characters for the very CGI and bigger production instead.

Rod Serling with $500,000 and creative control could make a film ten times better than Michael Bay with $500 million and creative control.

j.p.

bassman
28-Jun-2011, 12:07 PM

I don't think that's it at all. If anything, people are too EASY to be scared these days. Create ninety minutes of "black cat jumps from corner" and people are satisfied. That's all PA was. "What's that?", "you hear something?!?", "Something moved!", " Its a GOAT!".:lol: I mean, c'mon. The acting was the most horrific part of the thing.

The amount of these crappy "found footage" films comes down to them being cheap to produce and they know the tweens will bring their allowance and then brag about how the movie is "like...omg....soooo scary" no matter how bad it really is. Then the other tweens follow.

It's not about the amount of money put into the films that makes them awful either. It's the content. 500 thousand or 500 million. You could have as few or as many effects as you wanted. It still comes down to the story and characters. As JD pointed out....Serling made a frightening television show with next to nothing. On the other hand, he also wrote Planet of the Apes which was a blockbuster. So it's all about the story...

Mike70
06-Jul-2011, 02:45 PM
Apollo 18 never landed on the moon. movie over.

Neil
06-Jul-2011, 06:34 PM
Apollo 18 never landed on the moon. movie over.

Or so we've been told. movie start.

Mike70
08-Jul-2011, 09:00 PM
apollo 18 was the mission that met up with a soviet spacecraft and docked with it in like 1975 or so. movie over.

Neil
08-Jul-2011, 09:05 PM
apollo 18 was the mission that met up with a soviet spacecraft and docked with it in like 1975 or so. movie over.

Or so we've been told. movie start. LOL :)

blind2d
09-Jul-2011, 02:37 AM
Dude, no spacecraft has ever landed on the moon. Show me some moon rocks. Show me some moon powder, for crying out loud.

Publius
09-Jul-2011, 06:07 AM

Apollo 18 was cancelled, as were Apollo 19 and 20. The Apollo-Soyuz rendezvous was informally referred to as "Apollo 18," because it came after Apollo 17 (the last numbered Apollo mission) but was officially unnumbered.

blind2d
09-Jul-2011, 03:41 PM
Plus there's a squid on the album cover.