kidgloves
21-Jul-2011, 08:35 AM
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Walking-Dead-season-1-special-edition%20/15688

ANCHOR BAY ENTERTAINMENT
GIVES YOU A COLLECTION TO DIE FOR
WITH THE OCTOBER 4 RELEASE OF AMC'S

"THE WALKING DEAD: SEASON 1
SPECIAL EDITION"

Three Versions Available Oozing with Extras Including a Limited Edition Blu-Ray (TM) Collector's Tin!

Beverly Hills, CA - "The Walking Dead, AMC's hit original series that Entertainment Weekly hailed as the "best new show on TV", gets a new release on Blu-ray(TM) and DVD this fall that's sure to wake the dead! Anchor Bay Entertainment proudly releases the AMC(R) original series "THE WALKING DEAD: SEASON 1 - SPECIAL EDITION" on October 4, 2011. Available in three versions (Special Edition DVD, Special Edition Blu-ray and Limited Edition Blu-ray Collector's Tin), each set contains all six episodes of the first season and is loaded with NEW behind-the-scenes featurettes, audio commentaries, extra footage and the fan-requested black and white version of the pilot episode. In addition to the Blu-ray special edition, a limited edition collector's tin contains an exclusive wearable zombie mask from NECA designed by the series own make-up artist, Greg Nicotero. The first 100,000 units of the Blu-ray and Limited Edition Collector's Tin together includes an EXCLUSIVE Cryptozoic "The Walking Dead" trading card.

In each version, all six episodes contain audio commentaries including award-winning Producer/Writer/Director Frank Darabont, Executive Producer Gale Anne Hurd, Executive Producer/Writer Robert Kirkman, Producer Denise Huth, Actor Andrew Lincoln, Special Effects Make-Up Artist/Consulting Producer Greg Nicotero and many more! A breakdown of each release follows:

All three versions include the following NEW extras:

Pilot Episode: The B&W Version
Audio Commentaries On All 6 episodes
We Are The Walking Dead
Bring Out The Dead: KNB And The Art of Making Zombies
Digital Decay: The VFX of The Walking Dead
No More Room in Hell: The Walking Dead Phenomenon
Adapting The Dead
Killer Conversations: Frank Darabont & Greg Nicotero

Each version includes bonus features from the previous release of "The Walking Dead: Season 1" on DVD that contained the following:

The Making of The Walking Dead
Inside The Walking Dead: Episodes 1 - 6
A Sneak Peek with Robert Kirkman
Behind The Scenes Zombie Make-Up Tips
Convention Panel with the Producers
The Walking Dead Trailer

Extra Footage includes:

Zombie School
Bicycle Girl
On Set with Robert Kirkman
Hanging with Steven Yeun
Inside Dale's RV
On Set with Andrew Lincoln

AMC's hit "The Walking Dead," which broke ratings records in its first season reaching more Adults 18-49 than any other drama series in the history of basic cable television,* returns for its second season this Fall. The series is based on the comic book series written by Robert Kirkman and tells the story of the months and years that follow after a zombie apocalypse. It follows a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, played by Andrew Lincoln ("Teachers," Love Actually), who travel in search of a safe and secure home. Shot on location in Atlanta, the series also stars Jon Bernthal ("The Pacific," The Ghost Writer) as Shane Walsh, Sarah Wayne Callies ("Prison Break") as Lori Grimes, Laurie Holden ("The Shield," Stephen King's The Mist) as Andrea, Jeffrey DeMunn (Stephen King's The Mist, The Green Mile) as Dale, Norman Reedus ("The Conspirator") as Daryl, Steven Yeun ("The Big Bang Theory") as Glen, Emma Bell (The Bedford Diaries) as Amy and Chandler Riggs (Get Low) as Carl Grimes. Season two of "The Walking Dead" is executive produced by three-time Academy(TM) Award nominee Frank Darabont, Gale Anne Hurd, Kirkman, David Alpert, and Glen Mazzara and AMC Studios. Greg Nicotero

*Source: The Nielsen Company. Live+SD. 1/1/93-12/5/10. A18-49, AA(000). M-Sa 8P-11P, Su 7P-12A. General Drama. Ad Supported Cable. Entire Series Original Premiere Series Airings Only.

Based on the popular Image Comics' comic book written by Robert Kirkman, the series premiered on AMC Fearfest Halloween night and immediately became the most watched drama series in cable's history with 3.5 million viewers. It has thrilled (and chilled) both critics and audiences with its groundbreaking take on the living dead lore. Season 2 of "The Walking Dead" premieres on AMC this fall.

About AMC

AMC reigns as the only cable network in history to ever win the Emmy(R) Award for Outstanding Drama Series three years in a row, as well as the Golden Globe(R) Award for Best Television Series - Drama for three consecutive years. Whether commemorating favorite films from every genre and decade or creating acclaimed original programming, the AMC experience is an uncompromising celebration of great stories. AMC's original stories include "Mad Men," "Breaking Bad," "The Walking Dead," "The Killing" and "Hell on Wheels." AMC further demonstrates its commitment to the art of storytelling with AMC's Docu-Stories, a slate of unscripted original series, as well as curated movie franchises like AMC's Can't Get Enough and AMC's Crazy About. Available in more than 97 million homes (Source: Nielsen Media Research), AMC is owned and operated by AMC Networks Inc. and its sister networks include IFC, Sundance Channel and WE tv. AMC is available across all platforms, including on-air, online, on demand and mobile. AMC: Story Matters HereSM.

About Anchor Bay Entertainment

Anchor Bay Entertainment is the home entertainment division of Starz Media, LLC. It includes the Anchor Bay Films and Manga Entertainment brands. It distributes feature films, children's entertainment, fitness, TV series, documentaries, anime and other filmed entertainment on DVD and Blu-ray(TM) formats. Headquartered in Beverly Hills, CA, Anchor Bay Entertainment has offices in Troy, MI, as well as Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia. Starz Media (www.starzmedia.com) is a controlled subsidiary of Liberty Media Corporation attributed to the Liberty Starz tracking stock group.

THE WALKING DEAD: SEASON 1 - SPECIAL EDITION Blu-Ray(TM)
Street Date: October 4, 2011
Cat. #: BD23097
UPC: 0 1313 23097-9 8
Run Time: 292 Minutes
Rating: Not Rated
SRP: $59.99
Format: Widescreen (1.78:1) 1080p
Audio: English Dolby TrueHD 5.1/French Dolby Surround 2.0
Subtitles: English and Spanish

THE WALKING DEAD: SEASON 1 - SPECIAL EDITION DVD
Cat. #: DV23096
UPC: 1313 23096-9 9
SRP: $49.98
Format: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.78:1)
Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1/French Dolby Surround 2.0

THE WALKING DEAD: LIMITED EDITION COLLECTOR'S TIN (Blu-ray(TM) ONLY)
Cat. #: BD23505
UPC: 0 1313 23505-9 2
SRP: $89.99
Format: Widescreen (1.78:1) 1080p
Audio: English Dolby TrueHD 5.1/French Dolby Surround 2.0

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Walking-Dead-season-1-special-edition%20/15688#ixzz1Sj8NZQ2Y

MinionZombie
21-Jul-2011, 10:12 AM
Kick arse! Looks like we'll finally get what we've been wanting all along. I wonder when the UK release will be - hopefully as soon after the US release as possible (although preferably at the same time). I figured they'd launch this ahead of the season two premiere ... anyway, good ruddy news. Now this release I'll pick up for sure! :)

kidgloves
21-Jul-2011, 10:20 AM
So many questions though. Will it be region free? Will the limited edition be available over here?

bassman
21-Jul-2011, 11:53 AM
Now THIS is what I'm talking about! This should've been the first dvd release.

Just in time to give it all a viewing in anticipation of season two...

JDFP
21-Jul-2011, 01:19 PM
So, the studio after attempting to double-dip fans by releasing a bare bones edition earlier now release an actual decent blu-ray release. Thank goodness I didn't jump on that bandwagon back earlier this year!

I already have all the episodes but I'd definitely consider checking this out just for the commentaries. When it comes down to a reasonable price (i.e. $30 or less) I'll definitely be interested!

j.p.

Legion2213
21-Jul-2011, 01:41 PM
So many questions though. Will it be region free? Will the limited edition be available over here?

The current American BD isn't playable in a UK machine, so I doubt that the new release will be either. :(

Just have to get the region 1 DVD special edition, no trouble playing American DVD's on most machines nowerdays...seaon 2 will be finished before we get the SE BD over here even if we do get it... :mad:

Yours sincerely
Mr Glass is Half Full

MinionZombie
21-Jul-2011, 06:13 PM
The current American BD isn't playable in a UK machine, so I doubt that the new release will be either. :(

Just have to get the region 1 DVD special edition, no trouble playing American DVD's on most machines nowerdays...seaon 2 will be finished before we get the SE BD over here even if we do get it... :mad:

Yours sincerely
Mr Glass is Half Full

Providing you've used a handset hack on your DVD player (or on the DVD portion of your Blu-Ray player, such as I have in both instances), but yes, BR region coding is a pain in the arse (hence why I was gutted that the extras list on Hobo With A Shotgun is vastly truncated in the UK compared to America).

Anyway - the original release came to our shores about a month after the Americans got it, so I don't see why they wouldn't release the special edition - at least I fucking well hope they do! I hope they don't decide to be assholes and only release it in America (in which case I'd be forced to import the DVD once it and the shipping was below the stupid £18 limit, which is apparently coming down to £15!!!, sometime soon) ... because in some instances the UK gets shafted. Like, Deadwood for instance, the UK has fuck all extras, but the American release is packed full with extras.

However, I hope that the wholly positive response that the show got from us Brits, and fans around the globe, should inspire them to pimp it out in our region.

If whoever's in charge of putting the special edition of season one of TWD out in our area is reading this - please, for crying out loud, make sure it comes to the rest of the world - particularly us Brits! We've been waiting months for this news!

kidgloves
21-Jul-2011, 07:37 PM

There are region ABC blurays referred to as region free. The bad news is that Anchor Bay Entertainment have a history of locking there blurays

rongravy
21-Jul-2011, 07:49 PM
Sweeeet, I will be owning this at some point...
But an extra black and white pilot?
Why?
I get it, but I don't GET it.

Legion2213
21-Jul-2011, 08:46 PM
MZ - the shipping was below the stupid £18 limit, which is apparently coming down to £15!!!, sometime soon

Oh you have got to be shitting me!!! :mad:

So as prices go up and money is worth less, they fucking lower the import threshold?

FFS, I don't believe in the NWO, but I am convinced that there is a global secret society that is dedicated to just annoying the fuck out of me...personally.

bassman
21-Jul-2011, 11:36 PM
Why?
I get it, but I don't GET it.

If Darabont's 'The Mist' is any indication, the B&W version will be a great experience. You can always watch it in color, but the B&W version adds an extra layer of mood. Something that's lost on today's audiences.

Isn't that funny that today's audiences find B&W to be 'wierd'?

Legion2213
22-Jul-2011, 12:40 AM
If Darabont's 'The Mist' is any indication, the B&W version will be a great experience. You can always watch it in color, but the B&W version adds an extra layer of mood. Something that's lost on today's audiences.

Isn't that funny that today's audiences find B&W to be 'wierd'?

They find it wierd because we are capable of producing HD audio visual media in vibrant, pin sharp, real life colour.

I find it wierd myself when colour is available...you think the great movie makers of days gone by would have used B&W if they had reliable, quality colour film available? Would the creators of silent movies pooh pooh a system that added properly synced audio?

I personally think it's trying too hard...we all enjoy B&W classics, we enjoy them because they are classics, not because they are in B&W.

Not having a pop at anybody personally here...just saying I find the whole thing a bit, well, elitist/arty for my tastes. It may even be best ranted about on another thread.

bassman
22-Jul-2011, 01:41 AM
Well I certainly see where you're coming from, but The Mist in B&W is great. Probably better than the color version.

B&W doesn't work for every film and it certainly shouldn't be relied on these days. For certain films though, B&W is a great tool. Just like practical effects, CGI effects, or matte paintings, it all depends on how it's used.

JDFP
22-Jul-2011, 01:52 AM
Everyone has some quirky tastes when it comes to films/music (we have another thread going on regarding music on this very issue). Personally, I find B&W to be far more classy than color in a way color just can't capture. Tarantino has said time and time again he absolutely (coming from Tarantino there were probably a couple f*cks in that statement too) refuses to film in digital as opposed to using actual film. He said he'll retire before he goes to digital. Yes, B&W is traditional but it's not archaic just because it's "old". Some things are just better in B&W as opposed to color. I couldn't imagine the original "Twilight Zone" in anything except for B&W (it would be ruined otherwise) or for a more contemporary setting "Schindler's List" which was just superior in B&W for reaching a level of gritty realism and desperation in a way color just can't do sometimes.

And, I'm with Bassman regarding "The Mist". It's a fantastic film, but I'll only watch it in B&W just because it's better that way, in my opinion.

Speaking of elitism, those who think you're being "foolish" or an "old codger" of a Luddite for not wanting to go with the state-of-the-art technology available for something, gasp, 'old' are by nature defining elitism by thinking this way. Sometimes older and less technology is just better depending upon circumstances and the type of work. I think 90% of CGI is shit for example and is a major turn off to me. It doesn't make me an elitist, it just means I have different tastes.

Anyway, I haven't ranted for awhile, that felt good.

j.p.

Rancid Carcass
22-Jul-2011, 02:06 AM
Why? I get it, but I don't GET it.

I guess it's for that extra NIGHT vibe of watching zombies in B/W. It also means they can release the Ultimate NIGHT Vibe Edition and do a colourised version for that ultra hardcore viewing experience - 3D is dead. Colourisation is where it's at. They scream louder in colour... :D :shifty:

MinionZombie
22-Jul-2011, 11:47 AM
Oh you have got to be shitting me!!! :mad:

So as prices go up and money is worth less, they fucking lower the import threshold?

FFS, I don't believe in the NWO, but I am convinced that there is a global secret society that is dedicated to just annoying the fuck out of me...personally.

Yeah, I read something along those lines a while ago - but I'm not sure when it's supposed to happen. As someone who has often imported DVDs in the past, it pisses me off too - especially as the import exchange rate is so crap nowadays (I used to import shedloads when it was two dollars to the pound).

I also hate the region coding on Blu-Rays (I thought BR was supposed to be the chance to get shot of region coding!) - I mean for crying out loud, I'm buying the goddamned disc, what's the big problem?! Besides, it's only the hardcore film fans that import movies, the vast majority just buy whatever is in their local HMV.

*sigh*

Anyway - I bloody well hope the special edition comes to our shores (damn sight cheaper than importing, and it opens up the opportunity for BR). Take note AMC and Anchor Bay - us Brits are chomping at the bit for the Special Edition of TWD season one!

shootemindehead
22-Jul-2011, 02:54 PM
They find it wierd because we are capable of producing HD audio visual media in vibrant, pin sharp, real life colour.

I find it wierd myself when colour is available...you think the great movie makers of days gone by would have used B&W if they had reliable, quality colour film available? Would the creators of silent movies pooh pooh a system that added properly synced audio?

I personally think it's trying too hard...we all enjoy B&W classics, we enjoy them because they are classics, not because they are in B&W.

Not having a pop at anybody personally here...just saying I find the whole thing a bit, well, elitist/arty for my tastes. It may even be best ranted about on another thread.

It's a load of old bollox, is what it is. The inclusion of "special B+W" versions that is, not enjoying B+W films in itself.

Besides, if anybody really wants to watch a colour film in black and white, they can simply flatline the colour on the TV. It does the same trick. I looked at 'The Mist' in B+W a while ago and it just looked like 'The Mist' with the colour off.

kidgloves
24-Jul-2011, 12:42 PM
Bluray Cover Art

http://www.horror-movies.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/The-Walking-Dead-Special-Edition-350x422.jpg

bassman
24-Jul-2011, 01:01 PM
The limited edition cover looks horrible...

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/news3/WalkingDeadS1SE-BDSet.jpg

I mean.....really?!?

MinionZombie
24-Jul-2011, 01:24 PM

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/news3/WalkingDeadS1SE-BDSet.jpg

I mean.....really?!?

That has to be mocked-up artwork ... surely ... right? Because, good god, that's just cobbled together in MSPaint practically. That's gotta be some 'fan art' or something ... please say so. :confused:

bassman
24-Jul-2011, 01:51 PM
It's whats shown with the dvd and blu ray covers in the OP's link. Maybe it's just a rough concept, but they showed it off next to the others so.....

JDFP
24-Jul-2011, 03:10 PM
I don't get the point of worrying about cover-art. Are you going to frame it and hang it up in your living room? I don't have enough room for all the DVD boxes/slip cases/etc. myself so all those go in the garbage when I get home except for a rare few I keep which I have room for. Everything else goes into my CD cases for my films.

j.p.

Neil
24-Jul-2011, 08:50 PM
What ever happened to the talk of an extended first episode?

bassman
24-Jul-2011, 11:20 PM
What ever happened to the talk of an extended first episode?

I believe that was all a misunderstanding. The talk was that the R2 fans got an extended cut, but really it was just the same cut without commercials.

I could very well be wrong, but thats what i've gathered in the last year. They promised you guys an "extended cut", when in reality it was just the 70(?) minute cut without commercials.
Actually, you guys may have missed out on a few minutes on the dvd.

Neil
25-Jul-2011, 06:35 AM
I believe that was all a misunderstanding. The talk was that the R2 fans got an extended cut, but really it was just the same cut without commercials.

I could very well be wrong, but thats what i've gathered in the last year. They promised you guys an "extended cut", when in reality it was just the 70(?) minute cut without commercials.
Actually, you guys may have missed out on a few minutes on the dvd.
Sounds about right!

shootemindehead
25-Jul-2011, 11:41 AM
I mean.....really?!?

That's rubbish.

tkane18
26-Jul-2011, 08:32 PM
If it costs $59.99 for the Bluray edition for 6 episodes, how much is season 2 going to cost with 13 episodes? :eek:

DjfunkmasterG
27-Jul-2011, 10:52 PM
I'll buy the collector's tin and sell my original blu-Ray release down the road.

kidgloves
03-Aug-2011, 07:27 PM
Now up for preorder

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Complete-Special-Blu-ray/dp/B005CA4SQK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1312399489&sr=8-3

Where's the UK version though :rant:

Neil
03-Aug-2011, 09:20 PM
^^ lol!

bassman
12-Aug-2011, 03:10 PM
Where's the UK version though :rant:

I've just seen on another board that the Special Edition may not be available outside of Region 1? Just a rumor at this point, but I thought I would pass it along.

Are blu rays region free? Maybe you guys can import the R1 version?

MinionZombie
12-Aug-2011, 05:36 PM
I've just seen on another board that the Special Edition may not be available outside of Region 1? Just a rumor at this point, but I thought I would pass it along.

Any Blu-Ray you'd actually wanna import, is always Region A locked - a sod's law kind of thing. Then of course there's the issue of import cost. At present, IIRC, it's still a measily £18 (this includes what you pay for postage too), but I had heard a while back that it was going to be getting dropped to an even more measily £15! :mad:

So you'd be shit out of luck getting it on BR, so it'd have to be DVD, and then an SE DVD boxset would likely cost a fair amount (especially if weight is a factor, and not even necessarily that much weight), and easily put you over the import limit - which results in quite an additional cost. The last time I got scuppered by import duty, it was £10 for that, and then £3 for extra handling by the Royal Mail ... so a £22 ($35.81) DVD (the Dawn "Ultimate Edition" FYI) cost me £35 ($56.97) in the end! :rant:

I'll be steamin' nerd-mad if the SE DVD/BR is North American only - yet another stupid bloody decision, if that rumour turns out to be true. It'd make little sense to me, TWD did stonkingly well across the globe - and there'll be plenty of fans like me outside of North America who want their mits on the SE of season one.

kidgloves
12-Aug-2011, 07:04 PM

Unfortunately the combination of Anchor Bay and AMC virtually guarantees a region locked blu-ray

-- -------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

Any Blu-Ray you'd actually wanna import, is always Region A locked - a sod's law kind of thing. Then of course there's the issue of import cost. At present, IIRC, it's still a measily £18 (this includes what you pay for postage too), but I had heard a while back that it was going to be getting dropped to an even more measily £15! :mad:

So you'd be shit out of luck getting it on BR, so it'd have to be DVD, and then an SE DVD boxset would likely cost a fair amount (especially if weight is a factor, and not even necessarily that much weight), and easily put you over the import limit - which results in quite an additional cost. The last time I got scuppered by import duty, it was £10 for that, and then £3 for extra handling by the Royal Mail ... so a £22 ($35.81) DVD (the Dawn "Ultimate Edition" FYI) cost me £35 ($56.97) in the end! :rant:

I'll be steamin' nerd-mad if the SE DVD/BR is North American only - yet another stupid bloody decision, if that rumour turns out to be true. It'd make little sense to me, TWD did stonkingly well across the globe - and there'll be plenty of fans like me outside of North America who want their mits on the SE of season one.

Back in the day i used to use "import friendly" companies like Movietyme and dvdpacific who would either mark your parcel as a gift or send them in separate packages marked down in value but this has been clamped down on over the last few years. I can still get passed the region lock using my computer but its a pain in the arse and kind of ruins the whole point of owning the set as i found out with the Deadwood box set.

MinionZombie
13-Aug-2011, 10:32 AM
Unlocked a DVD player (even the DVD portion of a Blu-Ray player) is simple and pretty much most can be 'handset hacked' - however, no such thing exists for Blu-Ray. :(

Anchor Bay and AMC better buck up their ideas if they actually are considering making it North America only. :rant:

kidgloves
17-Sep-2011, 03:33 PM
Unlocked a DVD player (even the DVD portion of a Blu-Ray player) is simple and pretty much most can be 'handset hacked' - however, no such thing exists for Blu-Ray. :(

Anchor Bay and AMC better buck up their ideas if they actually are considering making it North America only. :rant:

I've found a solution.
Just ordered this bluray player

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004Y3UXU6/ref=oss_product

and you upgrade the firmware with the Australian firmware

Details here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-player-multiregion-hacks/1504741-toshiba-bdx1200-regionfree-dvd-multiregion-bd.html

Im just waiting for a price from this customs friendly guy on the 3 disc bluray

http://www.bluraysforeveryone.com/

-- -------- Post added 16-Sep-2011 at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was 13-Sep-2011 at 08:08 PM ----------

I can confirm that the above works beautifully. :hyper:
I now have a multi region dvd and bluray player :sneaky:

-- -------- Post added 17-Sep-2011 at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was 16-Sep-2011 at 08:26 PM ----------

Nice box

http://s3images.coroflot.com/user_files/individual_files/179389_aAUWuvMpSCypKHwevVPwAfQc5.jpg

bassman
17-Sep-2011, 03:41 PM
It does look slightly better in 3D form, but I still dislike the look of the "doors". I'll be getting the regular blu ray.

kidgloves
17-Sep-2011, 04:13 PM
It does look slightly better in 3D form, but I still dislike the look of the "doors". I'll be getting the regular blu ray.

Yeah. Same here. I stopped buying steelbooks and limited editions years ago. If the content is the same on the discs, i dont see the point of the extra cost anymore

bassman
17-Sep-2011, 04:20 PM
Yeah. Same here. I stopped buying steelbooks and limited editions years ago. If the content is the same on the discs, i dont see the point of the extra cost anymore

Oh, don't get me wrong.....if it were a good looking limited edition, I would be all over it. I'm as much a sucker for cool packaging as I am for special features. In this case, however, the regular blu ray packaging looks better than the limited edition...

kidgloves
28-Sep-2011, 11:02 PM
First review of the Special Edition.

http://www.dvdfile.com/reviews/blurayreviews/168432-the-walking-dead-season-1-special-edition-bd-review?start=2

I've linked the page of most interest.

ProfessorChaos
28-Sep-2011, 11:11 PM
just upgraded my television set, a blu-ray player purchase is not far off in the horizon. this may be my first blu-ray purchase.

-- -------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Nice box

http://s3images.coroflot.com/user_files/individual_files/179389_aAUWuvMpSCypKHwevVPwAfQc5.jpg

that's what she said!

(had to be done, it's been a while)

*darts off before the fun-police arrive on scene*

MinionZombie
29-Sep-2011, 10:02 AM
First review of the Special Edition.

http://www.dvdfile.com/reviews/blurayreviews/168432-the-walking-dead-season-1-special-edition-bd-review?start=2

I've linked the page of most interest.

Sounds pretty sweet.

If only they'd feckin' release it in the UK! The price of importing is pricey as it is, then if you go over the import duties threshold the cost of penalties is idiotic. :mad:

bassman
04-Oct-2011, 03:54 PM
With all the anticipation for the webisodes and new season I totally forgot that this set is released tomorrow. It's a nice surprise to get to work on a bad Monday morning and see an advertisement for the special edition on another board. Had no idea it was one day away...

-- -------- Post added 04-Oct-2011 at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-Oct-2011 at 09:40 AM ----------

Slowly making my way through this thing. The "We Are The Walking Dead" documentary is fabulous. Lots of interesting and entertaining bits of information. I can see myself watching it again and again. But i'm also a sucker for documentaries....

If anything it kinda makes me more sad about Darabont's departure. He just seems so happy and in his element making this show. Like a kid in a candy store...

The packaging of the set is really cool. Both comics and tv series artwork blended together. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

MinionZombie
04-Oct-2011, 04:52 PM
With all the anticipation for the webisodes and new season I totally forgot that this set is released tomorrow. It's a nice surprise to get to work on a bad Monday morning and see an advertisement for the special edition on another board. Had no idea it was one day away...

-- -------- Post added 04-Oct-2011 at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-Oct-2011 at 09:40 AM ----------

Slowly making my way through this thing. The "We Are The Walking Dead" documentary is fabulous. Lots of interesting and entertaining bits of information. I can see myself watching it again and again. But i'm also a sucker for documentaries....

If anything it kinda makes me more sad about Darabont's departure. He just seems so happy and in his element making this show. Like a kid in a candy store...

The packaging of the set is really cool. Both comics and tv series artwork blended together. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

I'm still pissed this doesn't seem to be getting a UK release. :mad:

bassman
04-Oct-2011, 10:25 PM
All special features viewed, with only two commentaries left. This is a fan-f*cking-tastic set. Soooo worth the wait for a proper release. I don't mean to rub it in to you R2 folks, but it's worth the import if you can swing it.

The main doc is slightly over an hour long and the other features are around an hour all together. So it's a good two hours of new features and they're all very entertaining.

As for the commentaries, it's no surprise that Darabont's is the best. Lots of tiny movie-making nuggets that most people would have never noticed otherwise. For example, the first episode with Shane and Rick talking and eating in the police car? It's in a garage with blown up pictures around the windows. I never would have guessed that old school technique was used on something like this. It's flawless. Not to mention the other countless cgi & old school additions he mentions. The other commentaries are decent too. Kirkman and Nicotero are always fun to listen to.

Again, i'm not trying to rub it in the face of my brothers outside of the US, but this is a fantastic set. MUCH more content than any other AMC show release. Which is strange considering TWD is half the length of the others. 10/10

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention is the black and white pilot episode. I didn't watch the whole thing, but just kinda bounced around. I don't mean to denounce this version on that alone, but it doesn't have the same effect on me as The Mist had. The Mist kinda lent itself to that style, but i'm not so sure about this one. I'll have to give it the full viewing before final judgment, though.

kidgloves
11-Oct-2011, 05:32 PM
Great stuff. Cheers for that

-- -------- Post added 11-Oct-2011 at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-Oct-2011 at 11:30 AM ----------

Woohoo. :thumbsup: My copy turned up today. Superb service from the website above. Only 5 days to the UK and NO customs charges. Thats the rest of my week planned. Now where to start :hyper:

bassman
11-Oct-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I have, kid. Especially when you consider that you and I seem to be the biggest TWD dorks on HPotD. :lol:

I'm actually going through it all for a second time. Top notch release. :thumbsup:

AcesandEights
11-Oct-2011, 06:11 PM
I saw clips of the show recently and realized there was a lot of little stuff I'd forgotten.

Oh, btw--they're doing a complete showing of the 1st season Sunday right up to the premiere :)

bassman
11-Oct-2011, 06:33 PM
Oh, btw--they're doing a complete showing of the 1st season Sunday right up to the premiere :)

Yes sir! I'm looking forward to it. 2:30pm to 12:30am. All TWD. Getting a nice bottle of booze, some cooking and grilling, going to make a day of it.

Isn't it pathetic when you look forward to spending a day watching TV? :lol:

MinionZombie
11-Oct-2011, 07:07 PM
Yes sir! I'm looking forward to it. 2:30pm to 12:30am. All TWD. Getting a nice bottle of booze, some cooking and grilling, going to make a day of it.

Isn't it pathetic when you look forward to spending a day watching TV? :lol:

Well, there's TV and then there's The Walking Dead. :cool::thumbsup::cool:

kidgloves
12-Oct-2011, 05:42 PM
What an excellent set this is. Watched eps 1 & 2 with commentary and all the extras last night. Only thing that stops it from being perfect is no deleted scenes and no feature on Bear McCreary's work.
Darabont is really going to be missed on this. What a shame. He was clearly having a blast on this and was in full geek mode. Classic quotes from him throughout and the admiration he has for Uncle George is unbelievable.
Good to see them all explaining their reasons for not following the comic book as well. It felt to me like it was a bit of a dig at the moaners who don't like the changes made.
Apart from the lack of deleted scenes and score featurette , this is well worth tracking down if you love all things TWD.

Andy
12-Oct-2011, 06:11 PM
Just so happens my boss has just gone on holiday to the states..

Anyone want anything from across the pond? Well........

:D

kidgloves
15-Oct-2011, 02:17 PM
Got through all the commentaries now.
Darabonts is the best followed by Ernest Dickerson then Michelle MacLaren then Guy Ferland. Unfortunately the Kirkman Vatos one is terrible. Whoever decided to put Kirkman with Emma Bell should be shot. Would have been much better with Gale Anne Hurd. Bell is clearly a dopey blonde and they talk about everything except whats happening on screen with Kirkman in full sarcastic mode. Tell it to the Frogs is disappointing as well with Bernthal and Lincoln constantly telling each other how good the other one is.

Also watched the b & w version of the pilot and it worked for me. Kept thinking it was an episode of The Twilight Zone.

bassman
15-Oct-2011, 02:35 PM
:lol:

Yeah, Kirkman lays the sarcasm on pretty thick on vatos. And Bell just takes it and admits she's dumb...

One thing that I found interesting was that Lincoln was watching the show for the first time on his commentary. Later in ep 6 Hurd says that he's never watched any of the show by choice. Says it might ruin his acting. That was shocking...

Mike70
15-Oct-2011, 03:51 PM
Also watched the b & w version of the pilot and it worked for me. Kept thinking it was an episode of The Twilight Zone.

hmmm. i didn't realize there was a B&W version of the the pilot. i love b&w and am of the opinion that it is way underused in film. it has a beauty, mystery, and adds a sense of creepy atmosphere that you just can't get with color.

yes, once again i'll say it: i'm very, very old school about horror and movies in general. black and white isn't used enough.

i'm off to find the b&w version.

kidgloves
15-Oct-2011, 04:31 PM

Yeah, Kirkman lays the sarcasm on pretty thick on vatos. And Bell just takes it and admits she's dumb...

One thing that I found interesting was that Lincoln was watching the show for the first time on his commentary. Later in ep 6 Hurd says that he's never watched any of the show by choice. Says it might ruin his acting. That was shocking...

I found the info about TS-19 fascinating. No completed script when they started shooting and it was completely different before Darabont got his hands on it with the episode being set as the outbreak happened. Noah Emmerich had prepared his character based on the original script and when he arrived on set it had completely changed and he had to change his approach to the character which makes his performance even more astonishing.

bassman
15-Oct-2011, 07:27 PM
hmmm. i didn't realize there was a B&W version of the the pilot. i love b&w and am of the opinion that it is way underused in film. it has a beauty, mystery, and adds a sense of creepy atmosphere that you just can't get with color.

yes, once again i'll say it: i'm very, very old school about horror and movies in general. black and white isn't used enough.

i'm off to find the b&w version.

Darabont also used it to perfection with The Mist. I always watch the B&W version now. Haven't went back to the color.

-- -------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

I found the info about TS-19 fascinating. No completed script when they started shooting and it was completely different before Darabont got his hands on it with the episode being set as the outbreak happened. Noah Emmerich had prepared his character based on the original script and when he arrived on set it had completely changed and he had to change his approach to the character which makes his performance even more astonishing.

And the stolen shot of Jeff Demunn? That was really cool. I never even noticed it was slightly "off" until I got this special edition.

kidgloves
15-Oct-2011, 08:24 PM
Darabont also used it to perfection with The Mist. I always watch the B&W version now. Haven't went back to the color.

-- -------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

And the stolen shot of Jeff Demunn? That was really cool. I never even noticed it was slightly "off" until I got this special edition.

Yeah. Im not really bothered by the use of cgi and it was good to hear Darabont admit it can be a lifesaver. They seemed to have used it well on TWD. Some of the work that vfx company did was not obvious at all

shootemindehead
15-Oct-2011, 09:01 PM

Says a lot about his alleged "love" for the show then doesn't it.

kidgloves
15-Oct-2011, 10:05 PM

:confused:

bassman
15-Oct-2011, 10:20 PM

hmm....not sure where you're coming from with this. He loves the show because of the scripts and talent involved. Just because he doesn't watch the show doesn't mean he doesn't love it. Not to mention he lives it...

From what I hear, there are quite a few actors that don't watch their performances. Especially on a long running series/play. They don't want to second guess themselves.

shootemindehead
15-Oct-2011, 11:14 PM
It's usually a load of old bunkum though. Of course actors review their performances by watching themselves. Having their performance filmed is one of the most valuable resources open to an actor, more so for a TV actor in a progressive series.

I think if Lincoln actually hasn't watched any of the episodes (which I doubt), then he can't be very interested in either the character he plays, or the series progression. To my mind it would be essential for him to review what he's already done, especially in a series. If it's true, it sorta puts a dent in the lovey dovey guff that's blown around if you can't be bothered watching the finished product. But, I would say there's more than a little smoke being blown up a few asses with these type of comments, to be honest.

The only actor I know, who I believe, that said he wasn't interested in watching any of his films was Robert Mitchum. Because he said most of what he did was rubbish.

kidgloves
16-Oct-2011, 07:18 PM
It's usually a load of old bunkum though. Of course actors review their performances by watching themselves. Having their performance filmed is one of the most valuable resources open to an actor, more so for a TV actor in a progressive series.

I think if Lincoln actually hasn't watched any of the episodes (which I doubt), then he can't be very interested in either the character he plays, or the series progression. To my mind it would be essential for him to review what he's already done, especially in a series. If it's true, it sorta puts a dent in the lovey dovey guff that's blown around if you can't be bothered watching the finished product. But, I would say there's more than a little smoke being blown up a few asses with these type of comments, to be honest.

The only actor I know, who I believe, that said he wasn't interested in watching any of his films was Robert Mitchum. Because he said most of what he did was rubbish.

They talk about Lincoln not watching himself in the TS-19 commentary. He doesn't like editing his character and 2nd guessing what the character would do because he thinks it would affect his future performances. Im not an actor but i could understand why an actor would take that approach

MinionZombie
17-Oct-2011, 09:15 AM
They talk about Lincoln not watching himself in the TS-19 commentary. He doesn't like editing his character and 2nd guessing what the character would do because he thinks it would affect his future performances. Im not an actor but i could understand why an actor would take that approach

And considering that Lincoln has said on numerous occasions how much he loves working on the show, I seriously doubt it's any form of disinterest. On the contrary, all of the actors have talked repeatedly about how much they love working on the show together as a group.

It's not unusual for an actor to not watch their work after they've done it, or to see it on the premiere night and then never see it for decades until along comes an anniversary DVD and they watch it for the commentary and remark at how they've not seen it in decades/ever.

kidgloves
17-Oct-2011, 07:27 PM
Theres an easter egg on disc 3 of the bluray.
Push up and a zombie head appears next to the walking dead text. Press enter and you have a zombie featurette with Mr Nicotero

kidgloves
08-Feb-2012, 05:51 PM
Theres a 2nd commentary on the pilot episode with Kirkman, Denise Huth and Gale Ann Hurd i found out the other night. A very good listen.

bassman
08-Feb-2012, 06:11 PM
Theres a 2nd commentary on the pilot episode with Kirkman, Denise Huth and Gale Ann Hurd i found out the other night. A very good listen.

Also known as the "How well can we suck off Darabont?" commentary. :p