PDA

View Full Version : Darabont leaving The Walking Dead!?!?!?

Doc
27-Jul-2011, 03:25 AM
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118040477?categoryid=4076&cs=1&cmpid=RSS%7CNews%7CLatestNews

:eek: WHHHHHYYYY!?

This is disappointing given as, most thought the first episode as the best of the season.

kidgloves
27-Jul-2011, 08:31 AM
No biggie. Midway through the 1st season Frank said he would be taking a backseat and returning to movies. He only became more hands on when the writing became an issue. They now have a settled writers room. If Kirkman walked away then I would be worried

Neil
27-Jul-2011, 08:41 AM
More here - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50567

MinionZombie
27-Jul-2011, 09:52 AM
I wonder if this news is as accurate as that time he apparently 'fired the entire writing staff'. :rolleyes:

shootemindehead
27-Jul-2011, 09:53 AM
Not good.

Rancid Carcass
27-Jul-2011, 10:57 AM
I wonder if this news is as accurate as that time he apparently 'fired the entire writing staff'.

Yeah, it's probably just a weekend break to visit relatives or something... lol.

bassman
27-Jul-2011, 12:13 PM
"Sources indicate...." :|

Even if he does take a more minor position in the seires, it's no big deal. As Kid mentioned above, he's been saying from the start that we would step down from the head position as the show continued on. I was actually kinda shocked to see him return for season two. Hopefully we'll still get at least one more episode directed by him before he bows out.

"I'm leaving Frank Darabont...." :p

kidgloves
27-Jul-2011, 02:24 PM
If he was going to leave this would be the right time as well. I assume all the scripts are done so it leaves a long long period for AMC to reorganize before gearing up for season 3.

sandrock74
27-Jul-2011, 07:48 PM
No need to hit the panic button until we see season 2. Then you can hit the panic button. LOL

Rancid Carcass
27-Jul-2011, 09:01 PM
New showrunner found:

http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/118/1184537p1.html

I'm sure nobody will have an opinion on this... :p

bassman
27-Jul-2011, 09:50 PM
No surprise there. What's not clear is whether or not Darabont will help finish up season two as the showrunner or bail out in the middle of shooting? I doubt it would matter either way as far as the "showrunner" title goes, but i'm just hoping he'll still direct the season finale.

The best news is that he's still on board in some capacity. Not that I ever thought he would completely abandon his baby.

He probably just doesn't want to spend every summer down here in the 100 degree heat. :p

Eyebiter
28-Jul-2011, 12:52 AM
Wonder if Robert Kirkman will take a more active role in the TV series this season?

Doc
28-Jul-2011, 12:55 AM
No need to hit the panic button until we see season 2. Then you can hit the panic button. LOL

I guess I'm worried about his absence since the with the exception of the fantastic first episode (the only one written by him, I think).....well, the rest of the episodes were lower in quality and never reached the same height. Meh, who knows. Maybe, Season 2 will really surprise me.

Thorn
29-Jul-2011, 12:10 PM
I have mixed feelings here, Darabont was a major champion of this entire effort and he clearly "got it" the man replacing him is viewed with a lot of respect in the industry... he is not however viewed with a lot of respect by fans in the know. Everyone I have talked have panned him for some horrible efforts (Crash, Hawthorne) in the past. That having been said he has been around a long time, and is a sound Writer/Producer (The Shield). As long as the material is already there and he is not allowed to go far afield I think we will be just fine. Also Mr. Darabont should remain a presence.

The Shield was a hit but I was not a fan really, they pushed a lot of boundaries however and were not afraid to do things that other shows would never dream of doing. That could be a good thing.

bassman
29-Jul-2011, 04:41 PM
I get the feeling as Executive Producer Darabont will still have an important role in the series. He'll help shape the stories and such, he just doesn't have to be on set for the entire duration of filming. This way he's still involved, but can also continue pursuing his other film projects.

kidgloves
30-Jul-2011, 06:51 PM
Interesting take on Darabonts departure

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/07/why-the-walking-dead-is-better-off-without-frank-darabont/242749/

Sammich
30-Jul-2011, 08:56 PM
I think they should ask Romero to take over. If not, get someone competent like Uwe Bol.

bassman
30-Jul-2011, 09:05 PM
I think they should ask Romero to take over.

It's hard to read sarcasm through text, but i'm taking this as such. I hope that's what you intended. It has to be after the Boll comment.

Although I'm not so sure after some comments around this place. Certain members actually would like to see Romero take over....

rongravy
31-Jul-2011, 03:31 AM
Interesting take on Darabonts departure

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/07/why-the-walking-dead-is-better-off-without-frank-darabont/242749/
I didn't think Merle was annoying. I wanted more of him, and was kind of sad that was all we got. Wonder when/if he'll pop up again.

kidgloves
31-Jul-2011, 10:14 AM
I didn't think Merle was annoying. I wanted more of him, and was kind of sad that was all we got. Wonder when/if he'll pop up again.

Neither did I although i get the impression that he was written to be a disposable character but Rooker made him so memorable its difficult to let him go.

rongravy
31-Jul-2011, 04:46 PM
Neither did I although i get the impression that he was written to be a disposable character but Rooker made him so memorable its difficult to let him go.
I know. I was amazed, with his star power, that he was nothing more than what he was. Which was barely even in there...
I want to know just what happened to him after he hacked off his hand. I bet THEY would, too, since they went back to find his ass.

shootemindehead
01-Aug-2011, 12:40 PM
I agree with the article, Merle is a rubbish character. I literally face-palmed within a few minutes of him appearing on screen. Especially after the equally ridiculous T Dawg had shown up. Fu*king T Dawg :lol: , I still can't say that stupid crap without laughing.

It was blindingly obviously where it was all going.

Terrible writing.

bassman
03-Aug-2011, 01:30 PM
I liked Merle. He was a real friggin character. I see those guys all the time (unfortunately).

Anyway.....here's (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bastard-machine/sheen-fading-fast-at-amc-217753) an article that may shed some more light on Darabont's departure. As we've heard before, it may all be down to AMC being greedy with their money. First it was failing negotiations with the Mad Men crew, then it was Darabont claiming they wanted to give out less money, now they're saying they don't want to give out the money for the fifth, and final season of Breaking Bad. Breaking Bad is already shopping around to other networks. WTF? AMC might be spreading themselves a little thin.

AcesandEights
03-Aug-2011, 01:42 PM
AMC might be spreading themselves a little thin.

Yeah, one has to wonder if it's growing pains, especially with AMC networks going public last month :shifty:

kidgloves
04-Aug-2011, 09:21 PM
Looks like its all Don Drapers fault

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-amc-20110804,0,106600.story

One of the challenges for AMC is that it does not own most of the shows it airs. That's why Sony was able to threaten the network with moving "Breaking Bad" if a deal was not to its liking. AMC owns "The Walking Dead," which is why it could enforce such a dramatic budget cut, though it came with the loss of the show's creative force.

Cutting $250,000 an episode is suicide.

Danny
10-Aug-2011, 10:19 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/walking-dead-what-happened-fired-221449

saw a few articles like this. seems the general consensus is "the budget for season 2 was directed at the clothes and alcohol for mad men".

bassman
11-Aug-2011, 12:00 AM
Wow....that really paints the people at AMC to be complete morons. If it's all true, this looks like it may be the beginning of the end for AMC's stellar original programming.

It almost makes me not want to watch Season Two. Obviously I will watch it, but I won't be happy about what they've done! :lol:

clanglee
11-Aug-2011, 01:53 AM
Wow....that really paints the people at AMC to be complete morons. If it's all true, this looks like it may be the beginning of the end for AMC's stellar original programming.

It almost makes me not want to watch Season Two. Obviously I will watch it, but I won't be happy about what they've done! :lol:

Exactly, especially if the cuts show

MinionZombie
11-Aug-2011, 10:08 AM

Remember when you (rightly) bemoaned the 'end of the world' wails when it was said that Season Two would, naturally, start in October? While this is a different situation, and it is indeed bloody stupid of AMC to be shifting money away from a huge success to a much more well established show (that surely has enough money as it is), and all-the-time biting off more than they can chew, but at the same time I'm sure the programme makers of TWD will persevere and continue to make an excellent show.

I do hope that the budget cut doesn't show, but at the same time I trust the show runners to provide us with a show that's just as good, if not better. It doesn't necessarily take money to make a moment, or an episode, or a season, that really haunts you forever after.

bassman
11-Aug-2011, 01:15 PM
...it is indeed bloody stupid of AMC to be shifting money away from a huge success to a much more well established show (that surely has enough money as it is).....

Although it's silly of AMC to harm TWD, their biggest success yet, it kinda makes sense when you consider that it's the only show they fully own. So they take the money from their own show and pump it into Breaking Bad and Mad Men, both of which are owned by movie studios that always have the right to shop around at other networks.. Sony and Lionsgate, I believe it is. AMC wants to keep them in bed together. So AMC is doing their best to keep those shows on their network, but hurting their only OWNED show in the process. It's a shame, really.

And now that we know Darabont was actually fired rather than quit, what does that mean to his friends and collaborators? Of course the actors are going to stay on for a while, but what about Nicotero? Kirkman? Those guys were only really doing it because of Darabont. What if they walk in protest?

The future of TWD does not look good...

Neil
11-Aug-2011, 01:19 PM
Little bit more over at AICN - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50767

http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/2897/original/darabont.jpg?1313055369

bassman
11-Aug-2011, 01:27 PM
I believe thats the same thing hellsing posted on the previous page...

Neil
11-Aug-2011, 01:55 PM
I believe thats the same thing hellsing posted on the previous page...

It is, but possible just with some AICN take on it...

Rancid Carcass
11-Aug-2011, 03:26 PM
It's not the budget cut that's the worry (though the CGI is probably the first place you'll notice it), it's this douchebag at AMC who has this idea of effectively making a zombie show with hardly any zombies in it. All this talk of wanting half the episode set indoors and episodes where you can hear them but not see them sounds like the words of an executive who doesn't know the first thing about film/TV production, more bottom-lines and shareholders. The fact that is guy isn't on speaking terms with Matt Weiner doesn't just smack of unprofessionalism but sounds like he's on an ego trip fuelled by these shows successes. I guess the long term future of the show depends on Glen Mazzara, if he's just there to implement this guys cost cutting idea's then I think season 3 is likely to be dreadful and the show will be cancelled as a result. Hopefully someone with a more level headed approach at AMC will see what's happening and sit this guy down and give an good talking to, or show him door – otherwise, I'm sure that there are plenty of other networks that would be more than happy to take it on and do it properly and reap the rewards, which as we have seen, are potentially massive.

:rant:

krisvds
11-Aug-2011, 04:40 PM
Sad. Let's hope Nicotero & Kirkman can maintain a certain degree of quality. Can't imagine Kirkman letting his baby go the 'Heroes' way. Better to pull the plug than deliver a Walking Dead lite with hardly any zombies in there methinks. Sigh

kidgloves
11-Aug-2011, 04:47 PM
What a shocker IF true.

This is going to seem a strange thing to say but aren't Breaking Bad and Mad Men due to finish in a couple of seasons. If TWD can scrape through the next 2 seasons there is hope long term.

bassman
11-Aug-2011, 04:50 PM
This is going to seem a strange thing to say but aren't Breaking Bad and Mad Men due to finish in a couple of seasons. If TWD can scrape through the next 2 seasons there is hope long term.

Breaking Bad's creator has said he wants to end the show after the fifth season. They're currently airing the fourth. Mad Men just signed a contract for three more seasons, so it's not going anywhere. AMC also has a show or two still waiting to premiere...

MinionZombie
11-Aug-2011, 06:03 PM
Sounds like they need to get shot of this Stillerman, who sounds like a right bell end, and apologise profusely to Darabont.

I do hope that the TWD folks pull through this, as it's a truly great show, but AMC need to buck up their ideas. It'd be extremely disappointing if all we managed to get were two seasons, with a second season being affected by a non-sensical budget cut. :(

kidgloves
11-Aug-2011, 06:41 PM
Breaking Bad's creator has said he wants to end the show after the fifth season. They're currently airing the fourth. Mad Men just signed a contract for three more seasons, so it's not going anywhere. AMC also has a show or two still waiting to premiere...

My point is that once Breaking Bad is gone then The Walking Dead moves up the ladder of importance. It should be up there anyway down to the audience numbers alone but with AMC owning it outright and the deals done with MM & BB we now know thats not gonna happen for the foreseeable future. AMC are obviously new to this and are learning some harsh lessons on how to set up show deals. Hopefully they won't spread themselves so thinly budget wise in the future and back the shows that deserve the money.

shootemindehead
12-Aug-2011, 09:19 AM
Although it's silly of AMC to harm TWD, their biggest success yet, it kinda makes sense when you consider that it's the only show they fully own. So they take the money from their own show and pump it into Breaking Bad and Mad Men, both of which are owned by movie studios that always have the right to shop around at other networks.. Sony and Lionsgate, I believe it is. AMC wants to keep them in bed together. So AMC is doing their best to keep those shows on their network, but hurting their only OWNED show in the process. It's a shame, really.

And now that we know Darabont was actually fired rather than quit, what does that mean to his friends and collaborators? Of course the actors are going to stay on for a while, but what about Nicotero? Kirkman? Those guys were only really doing it because of Darabont. What if they walk in protest?

The future of TWD does not look good...

Yeh, it looks f*cked. To good to be true, I spose. Why is it that when a good thing gets created, there's always some prick in a suit that comes along a wrecks it?

I hate american TV.

Can't see this show surviving much longer with this kind of carry on.

MinionZombie
12-Aug-2011, 10:13 AM
My point is that once Breaking Bad is gone then The Walking Dead moves up the ladder of importance. It should be up there anyway down to the audience numbers alone but with AMC owning it outright and the deals done with MM & BB we now know thats not gonna happen for the foreseeable future. AMC are obviously new to this and are learning some harsh lessons on how to set up show deals. Hopefully they won't spread themselves so thinly budget wise in the future and back the shows that deserve the money.

Indeed, if anything they should just let Breaking Bad go to another channel - Gilligan only wants to do one more season, so what are you really going to gain? TWD is producing season two (of hopefully many) right now, so it's much earlier on in its cycle, it's been insanely successful, and they own it outright ... but no, that Stillerman douchebag does it the moron way.

If they'd let Breaking Bad go for the one remaining season, that money could be ploughed into TWD and Mad Men (if they must insist on the latter), rather than damaging the former. It's such a stupid approach - as I've said before, AMC should fire that idiot, apologise profusely to the TWD folks, and now let Breaking Bad go for that final season ... not to mention not bite off more than they can chew.

bassman
12-Aug-2011, 12:28 PM
If they'd let Breaking Bad go for the one remaining season, that money could be ploughed into TWD and Mad Men (if they must insist on the latter), rather than damaging the former. It's such a stupid approach - as I've said before, AMC should fire that idiot, apologise profusely to the TWD folks, and now let Breaking Bad go for that final season ... not to mention not bite off more than they can chew.

I very, very much disagree. Between Breaking Bad and TWD, Breaking Bad is the better show by miles. We may want TWD to be their number one priority because we're zombie fans, but BB takes the lead as it's been established for years, received rave reviews, earned numerous awards for directing, wrting, acting, and just a generally all around better show. It would be foolish of AMC to drop Breaking Bad now. BB along with Mad Men are AMC's bread and butter. Whether we like it or not, TWD is the red headed step child that's going to get the short end of the stick.

At this point i'm starting to be okay with that. As much as I want to see TWD continue and be great, they've now fired the guy that mainly kept me interested, so now i'm going to go back to being more interested in what's going to happen to Walter White and Jesse Pinkman. :cool:

AcesandEights
12-Aug-2011, 01:37 PM
I just wish this happened during the season they were planning to be:

in the prison.

That could have allowed some nice budgetary cuts on some episodes while leaving money to be plowed into a few key larger bits of the season. Looks like some slowed down, personal, storytime and dialog heavy episodes are in order.

Honestly, they need to worry about writing and plot more than anything else. The first season was very good with some standouts and a few meh moments and the correct writing and seasonal outline could make the subsequent seasons fantastic.

MikePizzoff
12-Aug-2011, 03:38 PM
I just wish this happened during the season they were planning to be:

in the prison.

Perhaps that will happen during the third season. Aren't they already done filming this season? Therefore budget cuts should only effect CGI, really. So maybe it's a good thing they didn't hit that point in the story this season, as it can be sort of a crutch for the third's [possible] lack of budget.

Also, for those worrying about Darabont leaving the show: you shouldn't be extremely worried until you read headlines "ROBERT KIRKMAN TO LEAVE THE WALKING DEAD"

bassman
12-Aug-2011, 04:28 PM
Aren't they already done filming this season? Therefore budget cuts should only effect CGI, really. So maybe it's a good thing they didn't hit that point in the story this season, as it can be sort of a crutch for the third's [possible] lack of budget.

They'll be filming until November. As for that certain set piece, Kirkman and Darabont have both said in interviews that we won't see it until the third season. Of course that can all change now that the network is calling for more interiors....

carpetbeggar
13-Aug-2011, 02:58 AM
I want to hear what Kirkman has to say about all this. If he's confident things will be alright and gives the new "showrunner" the vote of confidence (which he will of course as I can't see him burying him while the show is still in production), then I will be OK with it. I would have hoped he at least had some input into who Darabont's replacement would be.
When the AMC suits start playing games with Kirkman then that is when I will be really worried about the future of TWD as a TV entity. I kinda hope this is the end of anymore stories regarding TWD behind the scenes shenanigans as I don't want any more negativity lingering about leading up to and during the second season. I just want to be able to enjoy the season without wondering if it will be the last, if you know what I mean.

krisvds
13-Aug-2011, 06:55 AM
AICN strikes back. http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50794
Another sad read. If this 'Quint's' report on how they treated him is true, and I see no reason why it shouldn't, AMC is being run by even bigger d*cks than I suspected.

MinionZombie
13-Aug-2011, 10:36 AM
I want to hear what Kirkman has to say about all this. If he's confident things will be alright and gives the new "showrunner" the vote of confidence (which he will of course as I can't see him burying him while the show is still in production), then I will be OK with it. I would have hoped he at least had some input into who Darabont's replacement would be.
When the AMC suits start playing games with Kirkman then that is when I will be really worried about the future of TWD as a TV entity. I kinda hope this is the end of anymore stories regarding TWD behind the scenes shenanigans as I don't want any more negativity lingering about leading up to and during the second season. I just want to be able to enjoy the season without wondering if it will be the last, if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. Hearing about what's apparently been going on at a corporate level has been disheartening to say the least - I just hope that the show makers hang together because it sounds like they all love making the show and they all get on really well - which in itself produces the best products - so I dearly hope that, as you say, there's no more shit flung TWD's way. There shouldn't have been any in the first place though.

Excellent article on AICN too - I totally agree with it - AMC needs a serious re-think on their approach (and managerial staff), as it sounds like there are some colossal twats in powerful positions making beyond-idiotic decisions.

Sammich
13-Aug-2011, 10:47 PM
The first thing that AMC needs to do is fire every single one of the MBAs in the front office who did not work their way up from the mailroom. The MBA has to be the single most destructive force to U.S. industries. 99% of the time their only "qualification" is just an expensive fancy piece of paper they bought from a "school". They have little to no knowledge or respect of the product manufacturing process in the companies for which they are employed.

The MBA view workers as expendable and often with contempt. There is nothing more infuriating as some brand new snot nosed kid from middle management showing up one day out of the blue to tell YOU how to do the job you have done for years, even though said dweeb has no clue as to how to do the job himself.

They are nothing but psychopaths looking to do anything they can to further themselves at someone elses expense (quite often unjustly) and kiss the butt of the execs above them. If they are allowed continued free reign at AMC, after the current batch of successful shows run their course AMC is going to cry for a fed bailout.

MBA = Moron, Backstabber, A$$kisser

LoSTBoY
15-Aug-2011, 09:32 AM

I would have went with Morally Bankrupt Asslickers.

I think AMC have been getting their etiquette lessions from Fox.

Neil
15-Aug-2011, 01:53 PM
AICN strikes back. http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50794
Another sad read. If this 'Quint's' report on how they treated him is true, and I see no reason why it shouldn't, AMC is being run by even bigger d*cks than I suspected.

Interesting read!

AfterMovieDiner
22-Aug-2011, 07:20 AM
I really get a kick out of Darabont's work and whatever happened here it is really too bad and a shame.
With the middle of the first series not exactly being strong and a lot of the story lines being rushed, them losing the writers and now Darabont... I personally don't hold out much hope for the future of The Walking Dead on TV.
AMC obviously tried to run before they could even crawl and it scared the bejesus out of them.

-- -------- Post added 22-Aug-2011 at 03:20 AM ---------- Previous post was 15-Aug-2011 at 10:21 AM ----------

Check out my full opinions on the first season of The Walking Dead and the news about season 2 on episode 5 of my podcast. Only mentioning because I thought the subject was relevant to the folks here :) use the links below. Thank you

kidgloves
31-Aug-2011, 08:59 PM
Heres some numbers on the budget cuts. Not as bad as everyone thinks.

After all, Hollywood deal-making is all about leverage, and the media is often used as a weapon in high-profile talks: When actors are looking for huge pay bumps, their demands often magically appear in print long before a deal is done in part because network and studio execs are hoping they'll be shamed by press accounts painting them as "greedy." The Darabont dust-up didn't involve any contract negotiations — it was all about budgeting, but there, too, AMC was at a disadvantage: On paper, its reported request that Dead reduce its budget from $3.4 million in season one (a number inflated by the high costs of the pilot and start-up costs) to around $2.8 million per episode in season two doesn't seem wholly unreasonable. (A report in the Los Angeles Times says the figure was even less: just $250,000 per hour.) But, as one exec notes, "It's a bitter pill to ask someone to swallow when you ask them to cut their budget and they're the No. 1 show among adults 18 to 49 ever in basic cable history." It doesn't matter that $2.8 million is a figure that would make most basic cable showrunners green with envy; to a creator like Darabont, it was a slap in the face, and his reps made sure post-dismissal stories painted him as a victim of bean counters.

The whole article is a good read

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/08/amc_mad_men_walking_dead_break.html

MinionZombie
01-Sep-2011, 10:19 AM
Heres some numbers on the budget cuts. Not as bad as everyone thinks.

The whole article is a good read

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/08/amc_mad_men_walking_dead_break.html

Well now I don't know who/what to believe and to what extent!

bassman
01-Sep-2011, 01:04 PM
...to a creator like Darabont, it was a slap in the face, and his reps made sure post-dismissal stories painted him as a victim of bean counters.

And AMC's reps paid this reporter to write the article. :lol:

kidgloves
01-Sep-2011, 07:52 PM
And AMC's reps paid this reporter to write the article. :lol:

So cynical Bass :rockbrow:

Ghoulman
03-Sep-2011, 03:03 AM
That's the suckish part about this as well as most things; it always comes down to perspective, personal values, and ideology where the real answer lies. This information certainly paints a significantly different picture than the first story, and one that I am more inclined to believe than the previous story, but that's just me.

bassman
09-Sep-2011, 07:50 PM
Here's a nifty little interview with Darabont's replacement, Glen Mazzara, where he openly talks about the transition. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-glen-mazzara-frank-233039

THR: Did you feel a need to put your imprint on the show and change something right away?

Mazzara: No, I didn’t. I felt that what we had was working and that it was about providing stability. Where I had felt differently and/or felt that I could add something that didn’t really come up for a few episodes down the road.

THR: Was splitting the season in two parts something that you were aware of?
Mazzara: The season was always designed as two halves before a single word was written. I’ve read stuff on the Internet where people are saying, ‘The first half of the season is going to be Frank and the second half is going to be Glen. This doesn’t bode well.’ That’s all horseshit. I’ve been involved in every single episode; Frank has been involved in every episode to some degree creatively. [The split season theory] is not accurate. It’s always been designed as two halves for programming purposes because football is a monster and nobody wants to go up against my Giants. [Laughs.]

He also goes on to say that Darabont is of course still one of the producers and many of the players on set are still actively talking with him.

MinionZombie
10-Sep-2011, 09:22 AM
It's amazing how things constantly change appearances, even with just small bits of feedback from the folks actually working on the show ... who knows what to believe these days, eh?

Ghoulman
10-Sep-2011, 09:41 PM
I hear ya Minion. I am now inclined to believe things aren't as bad as they appeared just a few short weeks ago. For one thing Nicotero is doing six webisodes which he wouldn't be doing if cash were tight. Also, TWD is AMC's highest rated, wholy-owned show which I highly doubt they would intentionally fuck up because that would be an alltime epic high in dumbfuckedness. Admitedly, I was as skeptical and negative as well when the dust up became public but now, AMC has my trust (where it should have been there all along) and they will keep it untill I see with me own two eyes that they have done something to loose that trust.

Sammich
11-Sep-2011, 03:42 AM
Also, TWD is AMC's highest rated, wholy-owned show which I highly doubt they would intentionally fuck up because that would be an alltime epic high in dumbfuckedness.

Let me tell you from firsthand experience, when psychopathic MBA types are in charge they are capable of screwing up a one float parade. The damage will be minimal in season 2, but they will have complete and utter control in season 3 and it will be TWD in name only. Just think of how fast downhill Return of the Living Dead went sequel after sequel.

tabalt
25-Sep-2011, 12:05 AM
The first thing that AMC needs to do is fire every single one of the MBAs in the front office who did not work their way up from the mailroom. The MBA has to be the single most destructive force to U.S. industries. 99% of the time their only "qualification" is just an expensive fancy piece of paper they bought from a "school". They have little to no knowledge or respect of the product manufacturing process in the companies for which they are employed.

The MBA view workers as expendable and often with contempt. There is nothing more infuriating as some brand new snot nosed kid from middle management showing up one day out of the blue to tell YOU how to do the job you have done for years, even though said dweeb has no clue as to how to do the job himself.

They are nothing but psychopaths looking to do anything they can to further themselves at someone elses expense (quite often unjustly) and kiss the butt of the execs above them. If they are allowed continued free reign at AMC, after the current batch of successful shows run their course AMC is going to cry for a fed bailout.

OUCH!!! That one hurt. I am just a few classes away from my MBA and I insure you I am not a moron, backstabber, or an a$$kisser. I work in the automotive industry and started out (with a BBA) as a temp on the floor for six months catching bumpers on a mill, continued on the floor for eight months after hired putting bumpers into a press, and now work in R&D as a testing tech for new products and concepts. So I insure you I know the product, understand the process, and am humbled by the guys who have been on the floor for 20 plus years doing 12 hour days for 10% or less of the pay as the VP’s of the company make. Maybe it’s just because of the bad economy, but I have had to earn my way up the ladder of the company even being educated when I started. So not every body with a MBA is what you think they are… either that or I fall in the 1% you didn’t mention in your rant.
Anyways, I hope the show works out, because it is my favorite on TV right now. It does seem that TWD is the red headed step child at the moment but my guess is because AMC can cut and control without fear of loosing it to another channel. Currently they have to give BB and MM anything they demand or loose them to FX or someone else. TWD don’t have the luxury of threatening to walk, so one could say that TWD is the only flex account they have when it comes to cutting/controlling their budget. I wish it wasn’t true but that is likely the only reason behind the cuts. At the same time sounds like Stillerman don’t have faith in the show and is a real dick behind the scene too. There is a shit ton of money to be made off of this series through premiers, reruns, DVDs, and syndication if they just keep the quality that the fans like me and you expect. You need hordes of zombies, high quality make-up, well writing script, good direction, and great actors for it to work. Plus the post production made the first seasons what it became. Just watch some of the behind the scene shit and see what they actually pulled off… it was amazing. So cutting from anything that dick suggested will hurt the show. You must give ample budgets to all those factors or it will go down hill fast. Let’s just hope this season is still hitting 4-6 million viewers an episode and I bet they will reconsider what can be spent.

bassman
25-Sep-2011, 12:23 AM
tabalt - first of all, welcome to the forums! Hope you stick around.

While your post is filled with basic facts, I have to argue one point. Sure it makes financial sense for them to cut costs on their hit show that they fully own in order to keep the hits that were established prior, but it's also like they're shooting themselves in the foot. Breaking Bad will be over in the next year or two. They've got Mad Men lined up for at least three more years with other original programming to follow. So why hurt TWD? Their first fully-owned hit. It's kinda like looking a gift horse in the mouth, ya know?

I understand what the "higher-ups" are trying to do here. It kinda makes sense, but on the other hand it also makes no sense when you consider that TWD could potentially go on for years and years to come. Just like the comics, this show could basically be a never-ending story. They're protecting their current hits while failing to see the long run. Keep Breaking Bad(my favorite, btw), keep Mad Men, but don't intentionally do away with your bread and butter.

I hope for the best with future TWD seasons. I really do - we all do. But letting the creator and visionary behind the series go is a poor move. Sure, maybe he was used to film schedules and budgets, so I understand they were a bit weary. But it's also that vision and drive that created the awesome show we now have. Especially the first episode. Darabont may have taken more time and money, but he did so in the name of creating a quality product. In the long run, it may have made more sense to keep the brains on board. I hope i'm wrong and the series continues to be great, but if starts a decline in quality the AMC executives have only one thing to blame. Themselves.

Trencher
25-Sep-2011, 04:50 AM
First I hear that Dead Island is a "funny ha-ha" game and not the serious drama that the trailer eluded to and now this?
Just awful, I don't want all the usual suspects to gang up on me and talk about this in other threads again so I am just going to say look up what happend to Firefly to see what management can do.

Darksider18
31-Oct-2011, 05:35 PM
The Walking Dead is a great programme! Finally theres a director who shines through the rest and shows us a zombie apocalypse on tv! Not all this reality shit like Jersey Shore, the oldest and longest living horror concept brought to screaming, blood-curdling life in HD with phenominal acting and a spot-on storyline. It shows us what could happen if the apocalypse arises and what would happen within an emotionally collided group. Darabont and the writers have GOT to keep this going. Its reached the million-fans point now. I wish they wont give up easy, theyve created something great.

Trencher
07-Nov-2011, 06:25 PM
I agree with you there Darksider18, I just wish they would keep the original director he is the one who made the iconic visuals that got people hooked in the first place.
I see the new seasons director is trying to recreate his style (or maybe is just follwing his script notes) but its not quite there. Its still good, but not as good as Darabount.

bassman
07-Nov-2011, 07:00 PM
I agree with you there Darksider18, I just wish they would keep the original director he is the one who made the iconic visuals that got people hooked in the first place.
I see the new seasons director is trying to recreate his style (or maybe is just follwing his script notes) but its not quite there. Its still good, but not as good as Darabount.

Darabont only directed the pilot episode. He was then the showrunner(develops the story, helps editing, etc) for the rest of the first season, but other writers and directors take over from episode to episode. He continued to be the showrunner up until just after they began filming in Atlanta this past summer. So if you see a change in this second season so far, it's not really because of Darabont's departure. He helped develop the story and get everything going on these first few episodes, plus the writing on the rest of the season. Not to mention Glen Mazzara, who became his replacement, was previously chosen by Darabont to be the number two man. At least Darabont's own choice is now(or soon will be) in control.