PDA

View Full Version : AMC to have "The Walking Dead" chat show?

Neil
31-Aug-2011, 01:26 PM
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/08/amc_is_mulling_a_post-game_tal.html?mid=twitter_vulture

Vulture has learned that AMC is actively mulling a WWH-like talk show designed to air after signature dramas such as The Walking Dead and Mad Men, and it's hired the same production company behind Bravo's hit to produce it.

bassman
31-Aug-2011, 01:32 PM
As if it wasn't confirmed before, this does it. AMC management is officially trying to ruin their network. They're looking to "reality" show networks for inspiration? What the flying f*ck?!?

And it says they want to make TWD more of an "event" rather than an hour tv show? WHAT? It premieres during FEAR FEST. Your biggest event of the year, you morons!

AcesandEights
31-Aug-2011, 01:36 PM
Is it a good thing I had to refer to the article to know what WWH stood for?

Seems shticky, to me, but something like this could be cool. I'd love a "clip" show that reviewed storytelling styles, themes, camera work and acting of several different current dramas and did so in a critical and fundamental way, but wouldn't want it every week. ut it sounds like this, is not what we will get.

bassman
31-Aug-2011, 01:50 PM
Is it a good thing I had to refer to the article to know what WWH stood for?

Same for me but once I saw the first word in the article, "Bravo's", I knew what kind of garbage the show must be....

Although I will say that Chris Hardwick as the host of this TWD talk show helps the idea go over a bit more smoothly. He did a great job with the comic con panel and seems like a genuine fan. When I first started the article I was expecting it to announce Perez Hilton or some nonsense as the host. :barf:

Trin
31-Aug-2011, 01:53 PM
Yeah, it's like they think there's a group of zombie fans who would sit around after a show airs dissecting every aspect of it in excrutiating detail for hours at a time. Hashing and rehashing even the most mundane plot elements. Speculating about off-screen rationale for character actions and about what might be coming next.

Hey wait...

Neil
31-Aug-2011, 05:33 PM
yeah, it's like they think there's a group of zombie fans who would sit around after a show airs dissecting every aspect of it in excrutiating detail for hours at a time. Hashing and rehashing even the most mundane plot elements. Speculating about off-screen rationale for character actions and about what might be coming next.

Hey wait...lol!!

kidgloves
31-Aug-2011, 06:49 PM
I like the idea. It can only help the show IMO

bassman
22-Sep-2011, 04:59 PM
It's official (http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/amc-picks-up-live-after-show-talking-dead/). "The Talking Dead" will start after the season premiere on October 16, then move to Firday nights after AMC's encore presentations of TWD.

I like Hardwick, so i'll give it a shot. Should provide a few laughs.

kidgloves
22-Sep-2011, 05:07 PM
Good stuff. Anything extra TWD related is ok by me.

MinionZombie
22-Sep-2011, 06:04 PM
Chris Hardwick is pretty entertaining, I listen to his Nerdist podcast from time-to-time (when they have a guest on that interests me), so maybe it'll be worth a look ... I'm still not convinced if it's necessary to have it, and I wonder if they'll air it in the UK...

Neil
22-Sep-2011, 06:09 PM
Chris Hardwick is pretty entertaining, I listen to his Nerdist podcast from time-to-time (when they have a guest on that interests me), so maybe it'll be worth a look ... I'm still not convinced if it's necessary to have it, and I wonder if they'll air it in the UK...

Would be nice if they air it in the UK, and logic would suggest they will...

Rancid Carcass
22-Sep-2011, 10:48 PM
Would be nice if they air it in the UK, and logic would suggest they will...

No, we're getting Jeremy Kyle of the Dead...

:sneaky:

bassman
22-Sep-2011, 11:42 PM
Just curious, does FXUK basically play the same programming as AMC? From my understanding they don't, so it may be a bit difficult for you guys to see this show. If i'm wrong, thats great, but I believe AMC sold their TWD rights to FXUK. In that case, they only sold the TWD rights. They could always do the same for the talk show, but that's a gamble.

I hope you guys do get it. Either way there are plenty US fans that would be happy to share. ;)

MinionZombie
23-Sep-2011, 10:44 AM
No, we're getting Jeremy Kyle of the Dead...

:sneaky:

:lol::lol::lol:

With each person on the show liberally using the term "at the end of the day" ... speaking of which, a buddy of mine did an autotune remix of The Jeremy Kyle Show where it plays out with that very phrase repeated over and over by different people.

Just curious, does FXUK basically play the same programming as AMC? From my understanding they don't, so it may be a bit difficult for you guys to see this show. If i'm wrong, thats great, but I believe AMC sold their TWD rights to FXUK. In that case, they only sold the TWD rights. They could always do the same for the talk show, but that's a gamble.

I hope you guys do get it. Either way there are plenty US fans that would be happy to share. ;)

I'm sure we'll get it one way or another. :D

bassman
14-Oct-2011, 07:27 PM
Amc's site has 'The Talking Dead' set to premiere this sunday after the encore of the Season Two premiere with guests Robert Kirkman, comedian Patton Oswalt and James Gunn(Dawn04, Slither).

kidgloves
17-Oct-2011, 04:41 PM
This was just ok. They made the mistake of having a comedian on as a guest so most of the time was spent cracking jokes. No need. Thats what Chris Hardwick does. If they stick to having genre people on and production people then it will be quite good.

Sammich
17-Oct-2011, 07:24 PM
This was just ok. They made the mistake of having a comedian on as a guest so most of the time was spent cracking jokes. No need. Thats what Chris Hardwick does. If they stick to having genre people on and production people then it will be quite good.

As soon as I heard there was going to be a comedian on, I avoided the show.

mpokera
18-Oct-2011, 03:10 AM

I agree, pretty much just ok. I do think the mistake was having Oswalt on also. I dont mind him but his presence made the others (except for Kirkman) constantly try to one up each other with jokes. Hardwick himself can keep the tone light with humorous quips, an extra comedian just made it a yuck fest.

That being said I will watch at least a couple more times to see if it evens out, and I quite enjoyed the concept of Kirkman taking questions, especially as he addressed one of my problems with the show (why didnt the walkers smell them under the cars when the first season made a point of them using smell)

kidgloves
24-Nov-2011, 07:27 PM
Finally got round to watching the post "Secrets" show and it was really good with Kevin Smith and some random comedian. Both were obviously fans so it made all the difference.
Next week is Kirkman, Nicotero and Reedus. A must watch.

MinionZombie
25-Nov-2011, 09:51 AM
Where are people watching this who aren't in the UK? Is it on YouTube or something?

kidgloves
28-Nov-2011, 04:40 PM
An hour long show tonight instead of the usual 30mins

-- -------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

Gregs such a legend. I love the man (in a non gay way of course). Took him about 10 seconds to mention Dawn and of course give props to Uncle George, Savini and co for his success.

bassman
14-Feb-2012, 12:07 PM
Dave Navarro is a moron and exactly the kind of "fan" that should be watching Resident Evil instead of TWD. He obviously has no idea what this show is about and was actually fairly rude to Mazarra.

The more I hear from Mazarra(when he's not being interupted by a trannie like Navarro), the more I like him. I'm starting to really have faith in the guy and he seems to know what he's doing with TWD.

AcesandEights
14-Feb-2012, 01:47 PM
Dave Navarro is a moron and exactly the kind of "fan" that should be watching Resident Evil instead of TWD.

Dude, when I saw someone posted in this thread I came in here to say the exact same thing :lol: Navarro was basically putting in a plea for less dialogue, more mindless zombie action and gag-kills. Not what TWD is about. Yeah, the show could work on its pacing, but....oh, man...talk about giving me a headache.

MinionZombie
14-Feb-2012, 02:27 PM
Dude, when I saw someone posted in this thread I came in here to say the exact same thing :lol: Navarro was basically putting in a plea for less dialogue, more mindless zombie action and gag-kills. Not what TWD is about. Yeah, the show could work on its pacing, but....oh, man...talk about giving me a headache.

I'll have to give this Talking Dead a looksee once I see the actual TWD episode on Friday ... this Dave Navarro sounds like he's got no idea. It's folk like him that mean we keep getting garbage like Yawn04. :rant:

Mike70
14-Feb-2012, 02:40 PM
Dave Navarro is a moron.

indeed he is and a massive one at that. come to think of it, you are onto something with the bit about him looking like a trannie.

krisvds
14-Feb-2012, 03:33 PM
He may be a 'moron' but he did play this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrwjiO1MCVs&ob=av2e

Now that's one amazing song. Jane's addiction will get youngsters rocks off long after most of us are old and gone.

AcesandEights
14-Feb-2012, 03:41 PM
Jane's addiction will get youngsters rocks off long after most of us are old and gone.

Oh, no argument from me. My fav version of Jane Says is a live version he performed on (not the original 'live' version from the album it first appeared on).

Ragnarr
17-Feb-2012, 05:32 PM
I don't know. Dude looked like he's waaaay way way too into himself. Too many image accessories for me to take him seriously about anything he says.

krisvds
17-Feb-2012, 06:15 PM
I don't know. Dude looked like he's waaaay way way too into himself. Too many image accessories for me to take him seriously about anything he says.

You are right. But I was referring to the one thing the guy will be remembered for/does extremely well = play lead guitar in Jane's addiction.
Really loved that band back in the day. Jane's addiction, Nothing's shocking and Ritual de lo habitual are still awesome records! do check 'em out.

Mike70
18-Feb-2012, 03:52 AM
Now that's one amazing song. Jane's addiction will get youngsters rocks off long after most of us are old and gone.

i'm solid gen X (1970) and jane's addiction never did much for me even back in the day. mountain song and jane says (which is an amazing song) are about the limit of my interest in them. other than that....meh

besides, all of this has been decided already, we just can't experience it. basic physics: if space and time are the same thing and all of space exists now, then all of time does too. the past, future, present- none mean anything really because all are happening right now. sorry getting geeky.

besides, two years or less from now an experiment at cal tech (which is underway now) will confirm or deny whether the nature of the universe follows the holographic principle of mathematics. if it does, then who gives a shit about anything because you, me, my cat, the tree in my backyard are simply holographic projects from the edge of the universe.

i'll give you time to smoke a bowl and think that one over before we pass on to quantum state immortality and the pixelated nature of the universe which might mean we are all living inside a giant quantum computer a million or so years in our own future.

we will pass over the the fact that our brains determine reality not the world. the double slit experiment has proved that over and over again.

MinionZombie
18-Feb-2012, 05:41 PM
I just watched The Talking Dead for 2x08 and yep, while Dave 'has a lot of flair' Navaro started out okay very briefly, he quickly descended into facepalm territory. "I've invested 14 hours of my life into this show" ... oooooh, wow, just over half a day - such an investment, therefore yes, you've earned the right for the makers to go completely against what The Walking Dead is all about and just chuck a load of zombies in there.

When he had to ask Chris Hardwick "he's the one with the RV, right?" in concern to Dale, I literally face palmed - literally - how you've got to this point and still don't know which one Dale is, for crying out loud man. If you're so into the show, you'd know which one was Dale! I'm terrible with names, but I know all of the names of the people on the show - I even know all the actor's names!

Moaning about there 'not being enough zombies' was just ... *sigh* ... is what it was. There were zombies in the episode, every episode has zombies in it, but for there to just be a load of zombie killing tossed in then that's just stupid. It wouldn't make any sense, and as Mazzara quite rightly pointed out in a recent article, 2x08 is immediately after the massacre (on the same day to boot), so you'd not go from one massacre to another in a couple of hours. Plus you've got so many character beats to deal with, there isn't the time nor the context to insert random zombie killing - indeed, if they actually did that, Navaro and other such muppets who keep bleatering on about 'not enough kills, yo!' would then whinge about there not being enough meaning.

The Walking Dead is all about the characters, and like any good zombie media, the undead aren't the main focus. It's always the tat that's made by 1) idiots, or 2) people who know nothing about the zombie genre, that is just a load of old flesh-grinding and it's utterly meaningless. In 2x08 you've got a hell of a lot of fallout to deal with.

Also - he goes on about 2x01 - 2x07 being "last season" repeatedly ... no, that's part one of season two, you dope. I'm not surprised Mazzara looked and sounded a bit miffed/irked by the guy ... even Hardwick seemed a tad "erm" about Navaro's ill-considered moaning. The rather sarcastic comment about 'having another bed-ridden character for a season' seemed to be particularly rude (I got the vibe that Mazzara was actually quite offended by that comment) ... besides it's stupid anyway - those episodes take place over one week, for Carl to recover from a gunshot in a few days is remarkable even.

The dude also seemed rather disinterested whenever someone else was talking - staring off away from the set, and then before the show was even finished he'd fished his phone out of his poncy trousers and was fiddling with it. :rolleyes:

The next one should be good - Stephen Yeun and Paget Brewster ... hopefully she'll talk much more sense.

/rant :D

AcesandEights
20-Feb-2012, 02:04 PM
The next one should be good - Stephen Yeun and Paget Brewster ... hopefully she'll talk much more sense.

Yeah, I taped it to watch later this week. I was psyched because I like Paget Brewster from CSI--love that show--and I was hoping she'd surprise me with her take on this little slice of the zombie genre.

kidgloves
26-Feb-2012, 04:37 PM
Scott Wilson's on tonight :thumbsup: