PDA

View Full Version : Best/worst horror remakes.

Purge
11-Sep-2011, 09:11 PM
Best: The Hills Have Eyes, The Fly, The Thing.

Worst: Piranha (both the 1995 and especially the 2010 versions), Zombie's Halloween, the TV version of The Shining, Last House On The Left, The Fog, The Stepfather, and Psycho.

Mike70
11-Sep-2011, 10:16 PM
psycho is the worst remake ever in my opinion. the fog comes in a close second.

best remakes- i've got to leave this one blank for now.

MikePizzoff
11-Sep-2011, 10:41 PM
I enjoyed The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Hills Have Eyes, The Fly, and The Thing remakes. I thought Amityville Horror remake was okay.

House Of Wax is probably the worst I've ever seen, though.

Eyebiter
11-Sep-2011, 11:06 PM
Best Horror Remakes - The Thing (1982), Night of the Living Dead (1990), Bodysnatchers (1993), Dawn of the Dead (2004) Worst Horror Remake - The Invasion (2007). Started off as yet another remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. However the studio lost faith with the original German director, and brought in the Matrix brothers to rewrite the script and another director to add on some action scenes. Would like to see the first directors cut of the film before the studio interfered.

JDFP
11-Sep-2011, 11:36 PM
Best Horror Remakes: Rob Zombie's "Halloween", "The Ring" (American version), "Pulse" (American version), "The Hills Have Eyes", "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1978), "The Thing" (1982), "The Blob" (1988), "The Fly".

Worst: "Day of the Dead" (2007 -- not really a remake, just pure shit), "House of Wax", "Prom Night", "The Fog", "A Nightmare on Elm Street", "Friday the 13th", "Psycho", "It's Alive", "House on Haunted Hill", "Night of the Living Dead: 3D" (though calling this is a remake is pushing it), Andy Warhol's "Dracula"/"Frankenstein" (enough said), "The Wolfman" (2010).

Beyond worst butchering of a film: "Night of the Living Dead: 30th Anniversary"

I don't consider "Night of the Living Dead" (1990) to be a remake so won't add it, but I love it.

Well, now that I've summed it up, turns out I actually like more remakes than I thought I did. Only most of them are shit and some (RARELY) are actually better than the original.

I'm sure I can think of many more, these are just off the top of my head.

j.p.

blind2d
12-Sep-2011, 02:08 AM
I didn't really see 'The Thing' from Carpenter as a remake, exactly... Similar yes, but... very different, as well.
I think the best remake is... 'The Ring'. It just improved upon the original film. God I love that movie... why?
Worst... 'Psycho'. What the hell were they thinking?!

ProfessorChaos
12-Sep-2011, 03:03 AM
remakes i've enjoyed: night 90, dawn 04, the crazies, RZ's halloween, carpenter's the thing, and the fly.

i honestly don't even bother watching most of the other remakes these days. still haven't seen a ton of them, such as friday the 13th, a nightmare on elm street, the wolfman, etc....and i flat-out refuse to bother with day 08.

Mike70
12-Sep-2011, 06:10 PM
i forgot about night 90. i'll go with that as among the best of the remakes. the fly was cool. i don't want to start something that belongs in another thread but john carpenter's version of the thing is so radically different from the 50s (and far superior version in my opinion) "the thing from another world", that it hardly qualifies as a remake (to me at least).

gladiator is pretty much a remake of a movie called "the fall of the roman empire" and while a cheesy action flick, it isn't too bad.

LouCipherr
15-Sep-2011, 02:12 PM
I didn't really see 'The Thing' from Carpenter as a remake, exactly... Similar yes, but... very different, as well.

i don't want to start something that belongs in another thread but john carpenter's version of the thing is so radically different from the 50s (and far superior version in my opinion) "the thing from another world", that it hardly qualifies as a remake (to me at least).

^^ this. I still don't see "The Thing" as a remake, but I can see why people think that.

Best remakes (wow is this gonna be a short list): The Crazies, House on Haunted Hill, The Fly (love me some Goldblum), Night '90, and one or two more that I'll have to come back and name since I can't remember 'em off the top of my head. Oh, I did like the Amityville Horror remake, although not sure why. :lol:

Worst (ho-ly shit is this going to be a LONG list): RZ's Halloween gets first mention, followed directly by RZ's Halloween 2 (I can't believe how many people like these atrocities), A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Day of the Dead, The Fog (what were they thinking?), Psycho, Texas Chainsaw, The Ring, The Grudge, House of Wax (except for that cunt who ends up getting killed - you know who I mean), The Stepfather, Prom Night, The Hitcher (Rutger Hauer ruled, fuck that remake), The Omen, Fright Night (yes, i said it, sue me) and Night of the Demons.

I could go on, but suffice to say, the majority of remakes suck.

Piranha (both the 1995 and especially the 2010 versions)

This one deserves an honorable mention as one of the worst films I've ever had the displeasure of laying my eyes on. Not the '95 one, that piece of garbage '10 remake. OMG, who the fuck in their right might decided to green-light that worthless idea??

Hollywood has long lost it's way, that's for sure.

Purge
16-Sep-2011, 03:01 PM
This one deserves an honorable mention as one of the worst films I've ever had the displeasure of laying my eyes on. Not the '95 one, that piece of garbage '10 remake. OMG, who the fuck in their right might decided to green-light that worthless idea??

My sentiments precisely. I actually walked out the theater angry when it was over. That doesn't happen very often. I think they made it in 3-D to make the fish look more realistic. It didn't work.

bassman
16-Sep-2011, 03:56 PM
Off the top of my head, the ones I enjoyed:

The Fly
The Thing
The Blob
Night of the Living Dead
Day of the Dead(It's so bad it's fun. Sue me.)
Halloween
Piranha
The Crazies

Andy
16-Sep-2011, 05:38 PM
Worse
Day of the Dead (2007), Psycho (as has been mentioned several times already), Planet of the apes (2001) and Invasion (you know, that shitty nicole kidman/daniel craig remake of invasion of the body snatchers but where they cure it :rolleyes:).

Thats what comes to mind just now but theres a lod more, i may to add to this list.

Best
Dawn of the dead (2004), RZ's halloween, savini's NOTLD, the last house on the left, the fly, The Crazies and A Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy (yeah i liked it :p)

Again, far from a definitive list but im not ashamed to say i like alot of remakes, i dont take the millitant view that alot of people on here do. I Love my old school horror movies more and hold them closer to my heart, but i think of remakes as a way of introducing these characters and stories to a new generation that otherwise would not have looked twice. I love my oldschool horrors enough that im not threatened by remakes :p

shootemindehead
16-Sep-2011, 06:36 PM
i forgot about night 90. i'll go with that as among the best of the remakes. the fly was cool. i don't want to start something that belongs in another thread but john carpenter's version of the thing is so radically different from the 50s (and far superior version in my opinion) "the thing from another world", that it hardly qualifies as a remake (to me at least).

I never understood why some people consider the 1950's 'Thing' better than Carpenters effort. To there's just no comparison. One is a fairly average, but entertain 50's Sci-Fi with all of the usual (awful) trappings of such and the other is one of the greatest horror films ever made.

I just don't get it.

To me, it's like comparing 'The Creature from the Black Lagoon' to 'Jaws'.

JDFP
18-Sep-2011, 05:39 PM
I can't believe all the hate for "Piranha 3D" around here. I thought it was absolutely hilarious as a B-film making fun of cheesy as hell 70's/80's horror films. I had a great laugh during it and loved to see all the gore. If you're looking at it as a horror film of course you're going to be disappointed, because it's not a horror film, but as a B-film comedy I found it fantastic and highly enjoyable.

j.p.

shootemindehead
18-Sep-2011, 06:45 PM
I think the problem is that it's a multi-million dollar production masquerading as a b-movie and that deceit doesn't fly with a lot of people, including me. Like 'Mega Shark vrs Giant Octopus', it's just trying too hard to be one of those "so-bad-it's-good" films, but it fails because the producers have failed to understand that that atmosphere comes by accident not design.

Sammich
27-Oct-2011, 07:08 AM
IMO the reason why the 1951 version of The Thing from Another World is better due to the story focusing on character interaction and claustrophobic atmosphere during the event rather than making the monster the centerpiece like other scifi movies of that era. It is very similar in Romero's approach to NOTLD.

Darksider18
01-Nov-2011, 10:52 AM
The best remakes for me would be - Dawn of the Dead (2004) and NOTLD (1990). The worst, but not necessarily a zombie film, Nightmare On Elm Street (2010).