PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Kubrick's impossible hotel

Danny
14-Oct-2011, 12:20 PM
Found these really interesting videos about the impossible design of the hotel from The Shining, which seem to impress that it wasnt lazy set design but intentional on kubriks part to create an almost escher level of impossible terrain to give the hotel an even more disorientating effect on the viewer.

could all be bollocks and reading too much into it, but some of it just seems too grand to be minor design fuck ups. Interesting videos either way.

0sUIxXCCFWw

IfJ8rK7eJeQ

bassman
14-Oct-2011, 12:53 PM
Whoa. Nice find, Danny.

The bad part being that I'll never be able to watch the movie again without watching doors and walls....

Danny
14-Oct-2011, 12:58 PM
Whoa. Nice find, Danny.

The bad part being that I'll never be able to watch the movie again without watching doors and walls....

i know what you mean, since i noticed the kids who snuck on the blair witch set with laser pointers in the finale outside the house i can' unsee the red dots that make it lose all tension.

MikePizzoff
17-Oct-2011, 12:36 PM
i know what you mean, since i noticed the kids who snuck on the blair witch set with laser pointers in the finale outside the house i can' unsee the red dots that make it lose all tension.

WTF, how did I never notice this?

Danny
07-Feb-2012, 03:57 PM
Same dudes done another mini doc about kurbirk and the shining, this time about hidden narrative subtext. again still think he could be reading too much into it, but still very interesting stuff.

http://io9.com/5882985/watch-this-insane-breakdown-of-stanley-kubricks-hidden-narrative-in-the-shining