PDA

View Full Version : TWD 2x02 "Bloodletting" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

MinionZombie
22-Oct-2011, 09:52 AM
Alright kids, have at it. :)

bassman
24-Oct-2011, 02:07 AM
Great episode! I enjoyed it much more than the series premiere. Shane really stepped up when he was needed and the Carl scenes were absolutely gut-wrenching. Top notch "soap opera". :p

clanglee
24-Oct-2011, 02:13 AM
Anyone else notice the possible nod to Breaking Bad? All the Meth at the bottom of the bag that Daryll pulls out is bright blue. . . .thought that was pretty funny.

bassman
24-Oct-2011, 02:20 AM
I didn't even think about it being blue. Good catch.

Turns out my theory on Merle's motorcycle was correct.

"Merle gets the clap occasionally." :lol:

jded
24-Oct-2011, 03:00 AM
I'll be seeing it about an hour from now. Here in Boise I get it at 10 pm. I had to shield my eyes from your comments for now. Counting down the minutes, can't wait! Later, gotta go get in the zone.

Moon Knight
24-Oct-2011, 03:01 AM
Very good episode and a great setup for what comes next.

The TV Otis is already more useful than comic book Otis. :D

Mr. Clean
24-Oct-2011, 05:07 AM
Good episode but the level of activity of the zombies at the high school was a little weird for me. Seemed out of place.

babomb
24-Oct-2011, 06:15 AM
Good episode but the level of activity of the zombies at the high school was a little weird for me. Seemed out of place. It was a FEMA camp.

kidgloves
24-Oct-2011, 12:52 PM
What a superb episode.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads//2011/10/wd13-600x9011.jpg

This is exactly what Im looking for from TWD. Stealthily creeping around looking for supplies. Philosophical discussion about the nature of the apocalypse. Friendship. Family. Danger. Action. Its all their for me.
Herschel is going to be a great character. The actor playing him gives out such a sombre demeanour. An educated man conflicted between faith and science and the people have read the comic know where this leads. Can't wait for that to play out.
Loved the parallels with Rick and Carl being shot. It worked really well with Lori and Shane being the strong ones and its not a stretch to see how they ended up comforting each other while Rick was in a coma. I've really grown to like this Shane since this show began. He really is doing what he thinks is best and he should be applauded for the way he's behaved since Rick turned up. He's been a very good friend to Rick and continues to be despite his fling with his wife although that is obviously going to come to a head at some point.
Now we know T-Dog's name. Theodore. No wonder he's called T-Dog. Im worried for the guy though now he has a fever. Hmmm. I wonder whats causing that?
Where the hell is Sophia? I really hope they don't drag that on for too long. I understand they are using it so the group can explore the woods and find out how certain people reacted to the end of the world but if it goes on too much longer the audience is going to get bored.

bassman
24-Oct-2011, 01:23 PM
Now we know T-Dog's name. Theodore. No wonder he's called T-Dog. Im worried for the guy though now he has a fever. Hmmm. I wonder whats causing that?

I guess that lays to rest all the concerns that 'T-Dawg' was actually short for Tyrese. Although at this point we're past the point of Tyrese, so he may be skipped totally? Or maybe brought in later. Poor Carol can't catch a break. :lol:

Where the hell is Sophia? I really hope they don't drag that on for too long. I understand they are using it so the group can explore the woods and find out how certain people reacted to the end of the world but if it goes on too much longer the audience is going to get bored.

I agree. I was thinking she would be at Herschel's farm, but I guess not. Whenever they do discover her, and if she's alive, I hope she's been taken in my a local family. They've spent much too long now to say she's just been hanging out in the woods.

AcesandEights
24-Oct-2011, 01:40 PM
Excellent episode! It still isn't grim or gritty enough given the state of the world, but it's about as close as basic cable and the general viewing public could probably stand.

Re-watched episode 1 with the wife before watching this week's installment and felt that despite some down-time in this episode and a whole lot of not much happening for an hour of TV, we got some decent dialog, pretty good action and some great scenes. The fence scene at the end was fantastic, IMO.

Now we know T-Dog's name. Theodore. No wonder he's called T-Dog.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/DougOBrien/teddy_roosevelt_pointing.jpg
:p

Wyldwraith
24-Oct-2011, 02:42 PM
Hmm,
I guess the theory someone came up with earlier about the Premier Episode really having been 2 Episodes edited together into 1 Episode was right. The supporting evidence is conclusive: When Dale and T-Dog are talking an exasperated Dale says about the group and their search "It's been over a day now." That comment woulda been easy for the editors to miss, but makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE in the timeframe the rest of the 2 episodes we have so far have presented us with. In the "intended" time-frame, it's only been several hours.

More evidence for the notion that 2 days of in-story-continuity were fused together into 1 day of in-story time via the editing is T-Dog's infected arm. There simply aren't any conventional pathogens that could have made a big healthy man like T-Dog THAT sick in the 5-7hrs of time it's supposed to have been since he ripped his arm open on that car door. *48* hours, on the other hand, is PLENTY of time for a severe laceration that cut the (sp?) brachial artery on the inside of the forearm to have developed one of the many strains of bacteria collectively know as septicemia/(blood poisoning, as Dale and people of his generation call it) into a raging infection. 5-7 hours just isn't enough time. I don't care if he was deliberately grinding the decomposing flesh of the corpse he was under against the open wound. It hasn't even been long enough for the clotting factors to even settle into their functioning groove...unless that scene was originally intended to have been a day and a half AFTER Sophia first went missing instead of the 5-7 hours we're supposed to believe its been.

Moving on, I had a difficult time with the notion that a rifle slug which DIDN'T strike a bone in the deer (you can see from the shot placement, though I'll grant it's JUST possible it deflected a bit off a rib), did the through and through and struck Carl in soft tissue as well, and then fragmented into SIX pieces. WTH? I went deer hunting for a decade and change with my stepdad growing up, and even been part of a couple F&G-approved cull-seasons. So, conservatively, I've brought down at least 20+ deer of varying ages and both genders, and I've been on the scene immediately after someone else's successful shot for 2, maybe even 3x that many deer. One of my longest hunts was the year I turned 17. We were up in W. Virginia, where my stepdad and his family are from (he moved away decades ago obviously), and my stepfather and one of his brothers had taken me, and my 14 and 15yr-old step-cousins Mark Steven & Mark Edward on what was Mark Steven's first deer-hunt.

Long story short: Mark Steven smashed a .308 round into that big-ass knobby joint at the top of a 6-pointer's right-front foreleg. That was, bar none, by FAR the LONGEST walk of my entire life. We teens dragged ourselves along as my stepdad and step-uncle tracked that damned buck 9 miles and change. 9 miles is nothing,...on FLAT ground. Going up one mountainside, skirting ravines, detouring around impenetrable snags of brush, and down the other side into the "hollers" (Hollows) between one mountain and the next, and then doing it all in REVERSE, while carrying all our shit and our portions of the dressed deer as added weight...That, THAT was TORTURE.

Even so, that .308 slug was a mario-mushroom. One piece, flat on the top-most circular surface.

If a .308 round won't break up when it's smashed from a few hundred yards away into one of the biggest, densest bones/joints/what-have you, I had a hard time believing a rifle round went all frag-grenade in the kid's abdomen after a through-and-through. Any other hunters/individuals with rifle experience want to weigh in here?

The scene with Shane and Otis was very cool. A lil aggravating, but tense and interesting. I'm already bored with the Sophia search though. Get it done with, please. It's a drag on the plot momentum. Still, I'm very interested to see what happens next w/ Shane and Otis.

About Dale taking Andrea's gun, one more time: He wrong enough for you guys now? Raise your hand if, having JUST been through what Andrea went through with that Walker, you wouldn't at the VERY LEAST deck that old man? Andrea called it, repeatedly. The fact she was saved was less than immaterial, because had it been solely up to their group, she was zombie-food and nothing they could have done about it in time.

All in all Ep. 2 kept me interested despite some believability issues. Thought the tossing road flares to distract the Walkers was a nice homage to Riley and Co. from Land.

bassman
24-Oct-2011, 03:13 PM
Hmm,
I guess the theory someone came up with earlier about the Premier Episode really having been 2 Episodes edited together into 1 Episode was right. The supporting evidence is conclusive: When Dale and T-Dog are talking an exasperated Dale says about the group and their search "It's been over a day now." That comment woulda been easy for the editors to miss, but makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE in the timeframe the rest of the 2 episodes we have so far have presented us with. In the "intended" time-frame, it's only been several hours.

More evidence for the notion that 2 days of in-story-continuity were fused together into 1 day of in-story time via the editing is T-Dog's infected arm. There simply aren't any conventional pathogens that could have made a big healthy man like T-Dog THAT sick in the 5-7hrs of time it's supposed to have been since he ripped his arm open on that car door. *48* hours, on the other hand, is PLENTY of time for a severe laceration that cut the (sp?) brachial artery on the inside of the forearm to have developed one of the many strains of bacteria collectively know as septicemia/(blood poisoning, as Dale and people of his generation call it) into a raging infection. 5-7 hours just isn't enough time. I don't care if he was deliberately grinding the decomposing flesh of the corpse he was under against the open wound. It hasn't even been long enough for the clotting factors to even settle into their functioning groove...unless that scene was originally intended to have been a day and a half AFTER Sophia first went missing instead of the 5-7 hours we're supposed to believe its been.

It's been 24 hours or more since T-Dawg got his wound. Remember in episode 201 that Rick and Daryl come back at Dusk and say they'll all head out for an organized search at first light. Then we get a jump cut to the next morning where they all go out and find the suicide in the tent, the church, Carl's shooting, etc. So by the time T-Dawg gets the antibiotics from Daryl in Episode 202, it's already been more than 24 hours since the herd first came through the roadblock.

Thought the tossing road flares to distract the Walkers was a nice homage to Riley and Co. from Land.

That was my first thought. "skyflowers".

kidgloves
24-Oct-2011, 04:16 PM
The child seat in the back of the car :eek: Anyone want to provide the backstory for that one?

shootemindehead
24-Oct-2011, 04:39 PM
Messy kid, strawberry jam all over the place.

Little bollox, just wait til yer ma sees that, she'll go mad.

Thorn
24-Oct-2011, 05:21 PM
What a superb episode.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads//2011/10/wd13-600x9011.jpg

This is exactly what Im looking for from TWD. Stealthily creeping around looking for supplies. Philosophical discussion about the nature of the apocalypse. Friendship. Family. Danger. Action. Its all their for me.
Herschel is going to be a great character. The actor playing him gives out such a sombre demeanour. An educated man conflicted between faith and science and the people have read the comic know where this leads. Can't wait for that to play out.
Loved the parallels with Rick and Carl being shot. It worked really well with Lori and Shane being the strong ones and its not a stretch to see how they ended up comforting each other while Rick was in a coma. I've really grown to like this Shane since this show began. He really is doing what he thinks is best and he should be applauded for the way he's behaved since Rick turned up. He's been a very good friend to Rick and continues to be despite his fling with his wife although that is obviously going to come to a head at some point.

Except the whole contemplating killing him in cold blood so he could take his wife and family, while in the woods thing.

I liked the episode a lot, great use of flashbacks to set the story and drive along your level of care for the people involved. Great parallels. Amazing acting, great settings and costuming. It is likely my second favorite episode to date.

I loved the Zombies at the rescue station, lots of military and such which makes sense given what it was, they kind of stuck around after they died. What I didn't like was this:

Shane had a plan for getting into the trailer and none for getting out short of opening the door and standing there? Any good military man, law enforcement officer, or person with half a brain always has an entry and an exit strategy. Getting in is half the battle, getting out is what matters. You got in? Awesome! Got the supplies? Great.

Praying you make it out with them and not planning your way it means you are risking killing two people, and a child due to your failure and lack of foresight.

This really bothered me.

That did not ruin it for me mind, you I loved it and agree lot's of zombies, in typical zombie horror. Sneaking around, scavenging for supplies, and trying to do something then you have a chase and a "barricade" situation.

Zombie action at it's finest.

mpokera
24-Oct-2011, 05:44 PM
I loved the Zombies at the rescue station, lots of military and such which makes sense given what it was, they kind of stuck around after they died. What I didn't like was this:

Shane had a plan for getting into the trailer and none for getting out short of opening the door and standing there? Any good military man, law enforcement officer, or person with half a brain always has an entry and an exit strategy. Getting in is half the battle, getting out is what matters. You got in? Awesome! Got the supplies? Great.

Praying you make it out with them and not planning your way it means you are risking killing two people, and a child due to your failure and lack of foresight.

This really bothered me.

That did not ruin it for me mind, you I loved it and agree lot's of zombies, in typical zombie horror. Sneaking around, scavenging for supplies, and trying to do something then you have a chase and a "barricade" situation.

Zombie action at it's finest.

And there are plenty of reasons for lots of zombies to be hanging around there, since it was a last stand/rescue station and would have been overran the swarm would have likely still been there from that. Many people dont realize that most zombies dont actively hunt for food, they arent that smart, they only react to stimuli signaling prey. Lacking that they often just mill about aimlessly or even settle down and wait for something to happen (bus, church, etc)

But as to the lack of preparation or thought as to how they would get out of the trailer?
Amen Thorn, that really bothered me as well, the lack of planning an exit route/strategy was unbelievable, especially in people who have survived this far. But then again these people CONTINUALLY seem to totally lack any sense of impending danger if they aren't actually looking at zombies this very second. They never post a lookout (campfire massacre anyone?) the scenes with Dale and T-dog bothered me for that reason, they never bothered to be looking around, especially when they were sitting against the side of the RV, I kept imagining a walker (or herd) approaching from the other side and them never noticing it till it walked around the edges.

kidgloves
24-Oct-2011, 05:51 PM
Except the whole contemplating killing him in cold blood so he could take his wife and family, while in the woods thing.

Which is why i said behaved. Rick walked into his crosshairs. Shane didn't pull the trigger

-- -------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

messy kid, strawberry jam all over the place.

Little bollox, just wait til yer ma sees that, she'll go mad.

:D :D :D

bassman
24-Oct-2011, 05:52 PM
Maybe they thought they could make it out of the trailer before the walkers' attention shifted away from the road flares? Obviously they weren't quick enough if that was the case...

Thorn
24-Oct-2011, 06:03 PM
I am sorry I think you are splitting hairs, at the end of the day the guy nearly shot his friend in cold blood to kill him and take what he wanted for his own, the face he didn't do it doesn't make hi ma good guy. Also there was someone standing close to hi mat the time, who knows if he decided not to because he wanted to or because he felt the footsteps as they say.

How about when he sexually assaulted Lori in the CDC?

Look I like the guy too but he doesn't get a pass on being a scumbag when he is one no more than Rick does for his faults or anyone else which is kind of the point.

mpokera that is a good point and I never thought of it, no way I hang out on the side of the trailer without being more alert and aware after all they have been through, and the horror of the herd not long ago I am in full on survival mode.

As to your point bassman, it is of course possible but if it were you or me we wouldn't leave that to chance .You have no idea what is in the trailer, how long it is going to take, what kind of resistance you are going to meet inside. You can't time yourself based on how long the flare is going to burn. So if that is the case you need to have a contingency. You always plan a worse case scenario, and a best. There is always a plan B, but for them and it was distracting to watch they opened the door, and paused. They just waited for the crap to hit the fan. This is lazy writing/editing or limited time to tell a good story.

I don't think either of us would throw our lives away on assumption, or doom the kid to die on wild speculation. My life, and the life of my best friend's kid would mean more to me than that.

kidgloves
24-Oct-2011, 06:25 PM
I am sorry I think you are splitting hairs, at the end of the day the guy nearly shot his friend in cold blood to kill him and take what he wanted for his own, the face he didn't do it doesn't make hi ma good guy. Also there was someone standing close to hi mat the time, who knows if he decided not to because he wanted to or because he felt the footsteps as they say.

How about when he sexually assaulted Lori in the CDC?

Look I like the guy too but he doesn't get a pass on being a scumbag when he is one no more than Rick does for his faults or anyone else which is kind of the point.

No problem Thorn. Im not a splitting hairs type of guy anyway. I guess im just rooting for him because the character has had abuse from comic book fans since day one and now in the show he's had this series of events that must have majorly screwed with his head. All in a goddam zombie apocalypse.

Wyldwraith
24-Oct-2011, 06:43 PM
Agreed on all counts Thorn,
And I hate to keep harping on this, but what is with Andrea experiencing terrifying and/or infuriating things and doing nothing about it except give the guy responsible really dirty looks? WTH? They put a good deal of effort into the way she was blindside-bushwhacked by that Walker. Even doing the dramatic "last moments of your life" slowdown thing as Andrea frantically kicked at the Walker to keep it away. Then everyone is just like "She had a run-in with a Walker, it was a close call." Case closed, Andrea gives Dale a dirty look and stomps up into the RV.

Accuse me of nitpicking if you want, but I feel REALLY strongly that IRL someone who just went through what Andrea did with that last Walker would have had a MUCH DIFFERENT reaction, with a lot more to that reaction than a dirty look and going to pout. Facts are facts, without She-Ra the Bat Wielder's intervention, Andrea was going to suffer EXACTLY the death she was so desperate to avoid she chose to get blown up rather than risk it. After the condescending confrontation over her gun, and EVERYTHING Andrea said coming true as a result of Dale and Shane's call, I can't believe that Andrea didn't march right up to Dale and growl "Give. Me. My. Fucking. Gun! Or I'm going to KILL YOU!"

You KNOW, after what happened, that Daryl would've backed her. Without Rick OR Shane, Daryl is the only real man present besides Glenn (and Glenn isn't the confrontational type). Andrea would have won that fight handily. At this point though, I've gone from annoyed about the issue to just Bleh. If she doesn't care enough to act more assertively on her own behalf, then fuck her basically IMO. Not that Dale isn't still Evil, just that it's gone past ridiculous.

Finally, will give ya an Amen on the Have an Exit Strategy assertion. It literally blew my mind when they creaked the door open and just stood there until sighted. If they were gonna go that plan-less about it, vault the damn trailer banister, mow over whichever zombie you crash into, and try to bull your way through. Stupid and foolhardy, but better than making 2 laps around a square of ever-decreasing area with ever more Walkers by the second.

AcesandEights
24-Oct-2011, 06:48 PM
Case closed, Andrea gives Dale a dirty look and stomps up into the RV.

If they leave it there then, yes, that'd be silly, but I expect some follow up on it from the writers. Things will either: come to a (possibly disastrous) head, Dale will proactively apologize and give or push for her to get her gun back before things blow up, or the writing staff will drop the ball and not much will come of it till further down the line.

Andrea got back to the RV near the end of the episode and I assume she is in some state of shock/emotional turbluence and the follow up is left for future installments...though seeing how things have been paced so far, I'd expect a resolution sooner rather than later.

Thorn
24-Oct-2011, 06:58 PM
Hey Kid no worries I understand I like Shane a lot this season, minus the whole wanting to run out on the group, he is a man of action and he is best when displayed that way a man who feels and does not who is handicapped by his own emotions and sense of duty.

I sadly relate more to Rick but man, you need a Shane around too.

Wyld I agree 100%, they are portraying Andrea in a very inconsistent and unbelievable way, I find it hard to support her and I at one point did like her character right now she is a wall flower that wants to be a grizzly without the teeth to get it done.

I thought the same thing I was like "Really? Just stand there and let them all turn and face you? Don't open the door and throw I don't know... another flare and run? Just stand there? Did you forget that flares worked? Couldn't have saved one?

Pretty sure I yelled "WTF man run!" like you said it wouldn't have been the best option to shoulder through and all but it beats standing there.

AcesandEights
24-Oct-2011, 07:15 PM
Sadly, if you guys are looking for believable reactions during an event wherein people start to rise from the dead and feast upon the living and ensuing emotional turmoil that and the fall of society would entail...the basic cable format might not be up to it. Hell, an hourly show where this is the case might be too grim to be anything but repugnant to anyone but the most base individuals.

Kind of a good topic for discussion, though: how realistic have the emotional reactions been? People keep opining from moralist or tactical standpoints, but I think it's the sociological and psychological approach that doesn't really measure up, and probably for good enough reason.

Ragnarr
24-Oct-2011, 08:06 PM
Did anyone else notice the weird instant lag of time/disparity of distance in the scene where Andrea is attacked by the zombie hiding behind the tree? Andrea is walking with the group. She very very briefly gets slowed by/tangled in some brush just prior to the zombie popping out. She screams and falls down. The rest of the group is suddenly like 50 yards away from her? Now here comes the farmer's daughter galloping on horseback with her baseball bat. The group is STILL running to get to Andrea. My point is that it seemed obvious to me that the writers wanted (needed) Andrea to be a long distance away from the rest of the group so that they were not close enough to defend her. Take a look at the scene again. Maybe it was just the brand of coffee I was drinking during the show, but I don't think so.

The other thing that bugged me was when Shane was at the medical supply trailer. They were all stealthy in order to get INTO the trailer, but after gathering the supplies and preparing to leave, Shane just (BLAMO) swings the door wide open? Doesn't make sense to me. You'd think they would at least show them peek out the door, or attempt to find a different way out first (floor, roof, other side of the trailer, window, vent, or lure the zombies into the trailer door on the right while they slip out the trailer door on the left, etc.).

Don't misunderstand any of my comments on TWD. I love this show and look forward to each episode.

Sammich
24-Oct-2011, 08:31 PM
I am curious as to how the doctor knew there were 6 bullet fragments in the kid without access to xray equipment.

When I heard the part about him being a veterinarian it instantly reminded me of Saul's mom in the "We're Alive" zombie radio play.

Oh well, TWD still is the best zombie thing going right now.

Wyldwraith
24-Oct-2011, 08:38 PM
Personally,
I'm opining from what I consider a common-sense and yes, on some issues a morality-centric basis. I disagree Aces that believable interpersonal reactions are too much to expect in either a) A Zombie Apocalypse setting, or b) Basic cable allowances. If you've seen Breaking Bad, especially the more recent seasons, you know that interpersonally-speaking TWD hasn't even NEARED "the line" AMC has drawn. Savagely graphic PROLONGED bludgeoning, cutting and (finally) shooting a barely-alive cartel man weeping like a child and begging for his life as he struggles with everything he has to get to his hands and knees is the sort of thing that's become standard fare on what was (Prior to the release of TWD: Season 1 of course) AMC's far-and-away then #1 show. Breaking Bad has shown in graphic, no camera tricks to shy away from displaying the raw detail of acts which at times can only be called violently dissociative AT BEST, and within a split-hair of taking #1 in the Top 3 most graphically violent Basic Cable-originating footage of all time at worst.

I agree however that the "mini-cultural" (of TWD survivor-group) dialog and interpersonal aspects of TWD haven't gotten nearly as much coverage from our community here as the moral, philosophical, tactical and speculative aspects have. Probably because those themes aren't nearly as "in your face" and community-polarizing as the moral/philosophical/tactical/speculative aspects.

Still, I am looking for and reacting to what I perceive to be realistic and "common sense" (and/or the lack thereof) reactions out of the characters. That said, you do make a good point Aces. About there not having been enough plot-continuity aired in just the 2 episodes to draw "and that's it" conclusions about ongoing plot elements and character actions/reactions to events as yet. While I disagree based on everything else they've shown regarding Andrea's personality that if she was already feeling an increase in anger and other, more complex emotions towards Dale as a result of the exceedingly negative consequences she's experienced (and very vocally articulated her anticipation of experiencing those consequences, which then occurred just as she'd said they would) because of Dale's decisions and resulting actions that she wouldn't have acted on those feelings as soon as she saw Dale (rather than going to brood in the RV), I'm willing to concede that it may just be a matter of pacing as you say.

If that's the case, my wishlist for Ep. #3 definitely includes Andrea being direct (not to mention smart enough to do it while Dale doesn't have the other controlling/more dominant males to back him up) about having it out with Dale once and for all about his controlling behavior. Incidentally, it would be an awesome time for T-Dog to reveal in an ill-thought-out fevered outburst that Dale's been BSing them about the status of the RV. That'd make for some SERIOUS tension and intriguing series of reactions and responses among those at the RV. Prolly won't happen with them seeming to have indicated X people are staying at the RV to wait for the dragging/boring plot device, err I mean Sophia while Y people go on to Hershel's farm. Still, I'm holding out hope for the Dale/Andrea thing to come to a head.

After all, one way or another, their confrontation has definitely been compelling to watch. As evidenced by the discussion here.

Ragnarr
24-Oct-2011, 09:16 PM
I am curious as to how the doctor knew there were 6 bullet fragments in the kid without access to xray equipment.

When I heard the part about him being a veterinarian it instantly reminded me of Saul's mom in the "We're Alive" zombie radio play.

I think the doctor mentioned that there was six entry wounds in Carl. I missed him saying that myself and asked my gf the same question. She told me that the doc mentioned six wounds.

mpokera
25-Oct-2011, 01:16 AM
Did anyone else notice the weird instant lag of time/disparity of distance in the scene where Andrea is attacked by the zombie hiding behind the tree?

I noticed this as well, my comment to my wife was "Why the Hell was she so far away from the rest?" And if it was because she tripped momentarily or something why would they have just gone on and not waited for her? Its another example of them acting like the zombies arent a regular threat. They should be walking in defensive formations and watching all around them at all times. I love the show but I think this was a bit of lazy writing, they obviously wanted to intro Maggie to us as a BAMF and likely to have Andrea imperiled as a way of moving along her conflict with Dale. I understand all that but I find it hard to believe an unarmed woman (or man for that matter) would let themselves get that far from the group when it has been established that there are indeed zombies in the area.

acealive1
25-Oct-2011, 02:47 AM
It's been 24 hours or more since T-Dawg got his wound. Remember in episode 201 that Rick and Daryl come back at Dusk and say they'll all head out for an organized search at first light. Then we get a jump cut to the next morning where they all go out and find the suicide in the tent, the church, Carl's shooting, etc. So by the time T-Dawg gets the antibiotics from Daryl in Episode 202, it's already been more than 24 hours since the herd first came through the roadblock.

That was my first thought. "skyflowers".

same here,man. i guess thats gonna be something they use from now on in all zombie films.......well lets hope

Wyldwraith
25-Oct-2011, 04:09 AM
About the lack of common sense decision-making among the members of the TWD group that many have commented on,
I agree that it's getting to be more than a bit much. Whoever said that the group acts like zombies don't exist unless they're looking right at one or more Walkers hit the nail on its damned head. It's gone beyond the believable in many cases. Take for instance the "everyone take a weapon" alternative to guns that Rick put in motion using the bundle of weapons Carl found. Yes, SOME of those implements would make effective BACKUP weapons, or a weapon you fall back on when the noise of a gunshot is too much of a risk. Others however, ranging from that hook-pronged implement Glenn got stuck with that's just BEGGING to get stuck in a Walker's body and wrenched out of his grasp AT BEST, to the short wide-bladed knife Andrea was forced to rely on are quite literally inferior to a thick tree branch. Yes, Andrea employed it sub-optimally, but you can't blame her when she's being attacked by a Walker with a SERIOUS REACH ADVANTAGE and her only means of defense requires she enter well into the grab-kill-zone of that Walker to strike it with a knife not much longer (or more effective) than a frigging STEAK KNIFE. WTH?

Rick took a reasonable position about needing to avoid making noise that could attract the Walker herd they'd encountered so far that he turned reasonable prudence into an absurdity with a high chance of getting someone killed. Hell, I didn't even see that hatchet from the bundle given to someone who didn't have a gun (or a crossbow), but Rick and Daryl each had one of the more effective of the weapons from the bundle despite those two already being well-armed. Rick is seen agonizing over the decisions he has to make for the group all the time, yet his attention to the less obvious details is consistently poor and shows little sign of improving with experience.

Don't get me wrong, I think Rick Grimes is a very compelling character in most respects. It's just that there's only 2 real directions the leader of a small group of post-apocalyptic survivors can go. Either he rises to the occasion, and while he'll stumble his mistakes are experiences he learns from and improves thereby as both a leader and a survivor, or he begins to crumble under the pressure and becomes more and more of a liability rather than an asset. Yes, realistically most people would fall somewhere between these two opposite poles, but Rick swings wildly between the 2 poles in a way that isn't explained by pressure, anxiety or stress. One minute he's Uber Leader, the Man With the Plan...and the next his actions (and inaction) silently communicates to the others "Meh, just do....whatever. It'll all work out, somehow."

I just haven't gotten the feeling from either Rick OR Shane that, despite how much Shane talks about his training as multifaceted all-purpose justification, these men are the experienced police officers what we're shown is supposed to convince us they are. Most of the time they simply come across as alpha-male rednecks that happen to be good with guns. There's no use of manpower to systematically secure whatever area they've stopped in. No acquiring of all reasonably available information or attempts to use the manpower at their disposal to form plans that allow for the possible occurrence of unexpected contingencies. No effort to pass on even the most elementary (and extremely useful) elements of their training. Bottom line? For me at least, it doesn't FEEL like the group has the benefit of two cops being part of their efforts to survive. On the contrary, Daryl of all people feels like a man utilizing his expertise in every way he can think to apply it. Rick and Shane are SUPPOSED to have skill-sets that should be a treasure trove for the group. Where are those skill-sets?

Could go on, but I think I've conveyed my point. Rather than flog the deceased equine some more, I'll wait and see what others have to say about these elements of characterization, and the common sense deficits others have pointed out.

Ragnarr
25-Oct-2011, 05:17 AM
I would point out that Rick and Shane are (were) sheriff's deputies, not regular policemen. They're likely used to a more laid back rural setting than say city cops or state troopers; serving court papers, getting kittens out of trees, recovering lost bicycles, escorting prisoners, etc. We could see how they dropped the ball in the flashback where Rick gets shot in season one. The chatter among the four deputies waiting with weapons drawn for the bad guys is sort of a tip that they were all only marginally trained imo. I think one of the deputies had his weapon's safety switch on until Rick mentioned it.

It's difficult to say how anyone would act in an apocalyptic situation like TWD, although Rick's thoughts and actions do seem to be conflicting at times. I'm still enjoying the show at any rate.

Thorn
25-Oct-2011, 01:11 PM
I noticed this as well, my comment to my wife was "Why the Hell was she so far away from the rest?" And if it was because she tripped momentarily or something why would they have just gone on and not waited for her? Its another example of them acting like the zombies arent a regular threat. They should be walking in defensive formations and watching all around them at all times. I love the show but I think this was a bit of lazy writing, they obviously wanted to intro Maggie to us as a BAMF and likely to have Andrea imperiled as a way of moving along her conflict with Dale. I understand all that but I find it hard to believe an unarmed woman (or man for that matter) would let themselves get that far from the group when it has been established that there are indeed zombies in the area.

Same here, and sadly because of the previews I think we all knew she was going to be attacked. I was watching her move farther from the group in editing and going 'here it comes" which sucks it ruined the shock value for me.

As for realistic actions in an unrealistic world, I do think we have been over this before but to just state my opinion again I don't want REAL I was REALISTIC. We can accept the zombies are walking, this is not realistic so everything else around that should be more real to ground it and make it something I can relate to.

mpokera
25-Oct-2011, 02:42 PM
About the lack of common sense decision-making among the members of the TWD group that many have commented on,
I agree that it's getting to be more than a bit much. Whoever said that the group acts like zombies don't exist unless they're looking right at one or more Walkers hit the nail on its damned head.

Thanks Wraith, at least we agree on something! ;)

-- -------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

As for realistic actions in an unrealistic world, I do think we have been over this before but to just state my opinion again I don't want REAL I was REALISTIC. We can accept the zombies are walking, this is not realistic so everything else around that should be more real to ground it and make it something I can relate to.

Yes! Obviously this is an unrealistic situation, we all know zombies dont really exist (yet) ;) lol, but anyway the point is that we are accepting the zombies in the shows world 'suspending our disbelief' is the actual literary term, but we still want the people in the situation to react in real ways, i.e. ways in which we believe that these types of people would react if they were actually in this situation. When they dont, it takes us out of the illusion. Ironically, Rick might actually be the least qualified to lead in some respects, he missed the whole apocalypse sleeping in his hospital bed. The others watched society fall and the vast majority of the world die. Which is why you would think they would be a lot more security conscious at all times, not just when they can actually see a zombie.

Ragnarr
25-Oct-2011, 04:29 PM
I noticed that weird distance/time thing with Andrea's attack too (posted on previous page). The writers just needed her to be far enough away from the rest of the group so that they (the group) would not be able to rescue Andrea right away, but the woman on horseback could.

The other thing in that episode that bugged me was when Shane and the hunter dude were so stealthy going INTO the medical trailer, yet so not coming out again. Realistically, they would have peeked out of the door before leaving (they already knew there were a billion walkers outside), not just BLAMO swinging the door wide open like they did.
I wish the TWD writers were open to comments from the viewers/fans. But then again, they already wrote the season before we the viewers get to see it.

kidgloves
25-Oct-2011, 06:09 PM
Is anyone else having a problem with Lincoln as Rick? I don't have any preconceived ideas about how Rick should be nor do i have an issue with his accent but his outbursts seem to be way way over the top. Its almost as if he puts too much passion into it.

AcesandEights
25-Oct-2011, 06:29 PM
I have no problem with him, whatsoever, KG. He sometimes puts on a stoic, determined face and sometimes flips the switch and puts a lot of passion on when things get tense, but he should be freaking out, in my mind. Freaking waaaaaay out, at times.

kidgloves
25-Oct-2011, 06:38 PM
I have no problem with him, whatsoever, KG. He sometimes puts on a stoic, determined face and sometimes flips the switch and puts a lot of passion on when things get tense, but he should be freaking out, in my mind. Freaking waaaaaay out, at times.

"YOU'RE KILLING USSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"
"YOU'RE KILLING HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMM"

Aaaaaaaaaargh.

AcesandEights
25-Oct-2011, 06:41 PM
He's supposed to be a pretty normal person seeing his family in mortal danger. I see people scream like that when they drop their iphone.

Even better: have you ever been on scene after a bad automobile accident? People scream when they don't know if they're loved ones are hurt in a way that could be more than superficial.

mpokera
25-Oct-2011, 07:05 PM
I dont have any problem with Grimes as Rick, I think he (and the writers mostly) are doing a pretty good job of portraying a basically decent man in an impossible situation. He is constantly forced to make some impossible choices. I agree that sometimes the dialogue is a little forced but that is always going to happen as no writer is perfect. And I loved some of his tortured acting from S202, especially the part where he kept repeating 'a little girl gets lost, you look for her, I mean thats what you do right? a little girl gets lost you look for her" as he starts to realize even more that in the world they live in, maybe you dont because you cant afford to jeopardize everyone else.

bassman
25-Oct-2011, 07:22 PM
Rick's little outbursts seem very real to me. Particularly the scene where he's calling out to Lori and Carl in their house in Episode 101 and the scene when he thinks Carl is dying in 202. Lincoln portrays it much in the same way I imagine I would. Great actor and i've got no problem with him as Rick. Great writing, as well. Perfect, actually.

Ragnarr
26-Oct-2011, 02:10 AM
I think the brit playing Rick is a great actor quite honestly. It always blows my mind when a brit can do such a convincing yank, and also with a southern accent. I thought his best scene so far was in the first episode of season 1, when he staggered into his house looking for his wife and son. Really well done imo.

blind2d
26-Oct-2011, 02:10 AM
Yep, good episode. Just watched it today. Skyflowers, indeed. Also, that's how you do horses and zombies, Romero. Take notes.

DEAD BEAT
26-Oct-2011, 02:11 AM
Is T Dog gonna turn or what? Im getting that feelin' bout that...better watch him.

Legion2213
26-Oct-2011, 03:18 AM

The Vet as a Doctor thing was first used in the UK TV series "Survivors", apparently, over here, Doctors are forbidden to opperate on animals, but a Vet is legally allowed to treat humans in an emergency!

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode, great stuff from Shane and Dayrl. Also had to laugh at T-Dog moaning about who was most likely to be lynched. :D Hopefully it was fever talking, because he hasn't come across as somebody with a chip on his shoulder during the series.

Oh, mad props to Merles stash - Hiesenberg FTW!

sandrock74
26-Oct-2011, 05:04 AM
I dont have any problem with Grimes as Rick,

I don't think anyone has a problem with Rick Grimes being himself :)

babomb
26-Oct-2011, 12:17 PM
If a .308 round won't break up when it's smashed from a few hundred yards away into one of the biggest, densest bones/joints/what-have you, I had a hard time believing a rifle round went all frag-grenade in the kid's abdomen after a through-and-through. Any other hunters/individuals with rifle experience want to weigh in here? This all depends, IMO. All things being equal, I'd have to agree with you. A .308 round is a pretty powerful round though. If Otis' rifle was something like a .223 with a full jacketed round it might splinter like that off a rib. But it's likely just a plot device.

About Dale taking Andrea's gun, one more time: He wrong enough for you guys now? Raise your hand if, having JUST been through what Andrea went through with that Walker, you wouldn't at the VERY LEAST deck that old man? Andrea called it, repeatedly. I don't think she should've used the gun in that instance even if she had it. It may have attracted more zombies but even if it didn't, she's a fuckin basket case right now. She needs to harden up, learn to handle herself. So does everyone else but Shane and Daryl. I think that's where all this is headed. So while it seems like Dale is being an ass, he might unknowingly be doing Andrea the biggest favor anyone could ever do for her.

Shane had a plan for getting into the trailer and none for getting out short of opening the door and standing there? Any good military man, law enforcement officer, or person with half a brain always has an entry and an exit strategy. That annoyed me too!! And then they just locked themselves inside the gate with a tiny screw? WTF??

Rick is seen agonizing over the decisions he has to make for the group all the time, yet his attention to the less obvious details is consistently poor and shows little sign of improving with experience. He does EVERYTHING in haste. He doesn't even think before he makes many of these decisions. He needs others to help him make well thought out decisions. Shane and Lori are forcing him to make different choices. If Shane wouldn't have talked him out of going to get Lori, Carl would've died from blood loss. And Lori had to talk him into staying with her and Carl instead of going after Shane and Otis. Rick is a dumbass IMO. He's a control freak that doesn't think anyone else is capable of anything, he doesn't think before he acts, he's never there when he should be. In reality he never would've made it this far because of those poor decisions. He sees a situation and he reacts before he has time to think about anything. This has good and bad consequences.

The others watched society fall and the vast majority of the world die. Which is why you would think they would be a lot more security conscious at all times, not just when they can actually see a zombie. This is a great point. All it would take is 1 attack and you would constantly have an always on situational awareness that would almost guarantee it wouldn't happen again. It seems to be happening backward. You would think that the only times they would be vulnerable would be in specific situations. Such as in areas that have already been cleared, they might overlook a specific part of an area once or twice, MAYBE, and then go to great lengths to make sure it doesn't happen again. Especially for Andrea, who had to shoot her sister in the head because the group was slacking and drinking wine and shit and allowed the whole camp to be overrun.
So we have to suspend our disbelief about the dead walking, but then again that the survivors are incapable of evaluating their own actions and learning from previous mistakes. They have time to reflect on trips to the grand canyon but have never thought to themselves that maybe they should all know what to do in the event that a member of the group gets separated? They got 2 redneck cops and a Daryl, but none of them can do a bird call that Sophia would be able to recognize? And not a single member of the group has the forethought to talk about that with everyone? With 2 moms that would surely be already scared shitless for the safety of those kids?

Ragnarr
26-Oct-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't think T-Dog is infected with the zombie virus, unless a zombie left some residue on that car door prior to T cutting himself on it. And yes, I think it was just the fever talking in that scene where he's thinking about driving away.

It looks to me like they might kill off Carl. That will be a weird development if it happens because Rick and Lori are going to want that hunter dude's head from that point on.

If I were to put on my Elrond the Elf hat for a moment, here's what I see for this season:

1) Carl dies.
2) Lori is pregnant as a result of Shane spooge.
3) After the survivors all settle in at the farm house, a large herd of walkers decend upon the farm and lay seige to the house (a la NotLD).
4) Corpulent hunter dude who shot Carl carries enormous guilt over the boy's death and sacrifices himself at some point to save the others.
5) Shane cuts all his hair off for no reason whatsoever.

***No spoilers here, just guessing***

bassman
26-Oct-2011, 03:48 PM
I doubt Carl will die. He's a very important part of the story to come. I just can't see the show actually killing him off.

blind2d
26-Oct-2011, 04:05 PM
Needs more Glenn. Also, um... yes, Carl definitely won't die. And... hm... still a little bugged about the zombies just sitting in church. Zeds aren't big sitters, in my experience...

Ragnarr
26-Oct-2011, 04:18 PM
Well, the writers could go with Carl surviving, but isn't that what most people would expect?

I agree with blind2d; more Glenn and while we're at it, more T-Dog too. Maybe an episode where both are developed more during a sub-adventure.
Also agree about the zeds going to church service. As the door to the church was closed when the survivors arrived, I can only assume that the three zeds were already sitting in the church when they died. Btw, where was the zed minister/pastor? I was waiting for him to pop out from around the corner during the scenes when individual survivors were praying.

...and a Methodist church would not have a R.C. crucifix in it. It would have just a plain cross.

kidgloves
26-Oct-2011, 05:16 PM
Dont forget T-Dog had a body on top of him. Can't remember if it was a walker though

Ragnarr
26-Oct-2011, 05:28 PM
Dont forget T-Dog had a body on top of him. Can't remember if it was a walker though

Good question. I remember Daryl killing the zed that was heading for T-Dog, and that zed's body dropped among the other dead bodies that were there. Daryl then covers T-Dog (holy crap, with which body) and then pulls another body out of the vehicle to cover himself with. This could be bad.

Was also thinking about that Talking Dead show. How kool would it be if instead of the David Letterman set they use, they had boarded up windows with zed extras moving outside the windows trying to get in. Periodically, the host has to get up and secure a lose plank on the window, then return to his seat to continue with the interviews. So many people blessed with money lack an imagination it seems.

Mr. Clean
26-Oct-2011, 06:17 PM
Great read of one of the zombie extras in the High School chase scene.

http://geekout.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/26/i-was-a-zombie-extra-in-%e2%80%98the-walking-dead%e2%80%99/?hpt=hp_bn8

blind2d
26-Oct-2011, 09:01 PM
Oh yeah, good point, that cross totally didn't fit with the church! Oh well... Television...

babomb
26-Oct-2011, 10:01 PM
All I know is they're gonna survive this specific set of dramas that's playing out and realize they have to get their shit together. Hopefully that happens in the next couple episodes and then we have several more episodes of them becoming stronger and tighter as a group. I hope they don't draw all this drama out for the whole season and make us wait til the next season for the redemption.

Ragnarr
26-Oct-2011, 11:37 PM
Just took a look at The Walking Dead comic on wiki. Looks like bassman is going to be right afterall; if the television series follows the TWD comic, Carl survives being shot. Have to get my Elrond hat fixed I suppose. Hmm.

Wyldwraith
27-Oct-2011, 10:10 AM
Yea,
Killing Carl would be too plot-derailing for the show. Would eliminate all future Carl-related material, and THAT would be waaaay too much screen time to give these TV folks to "get original" with. There's a reason TWD is award-winning for makeup, NOT acting. One of the drawbacks to breaking ground in a media-transition is the need for not just middle-of-the-road writing (for the conversion to the TV screen I mean, TWD the comic stands proven on its own well above anything I could choose to say about it. Would be like spitting on an elephant: Something you could do I suppose, but not a terribly rewarding act...and one with a chance of being hammered into the floor like a tent-stake) and acting.

Don't get me wrong. TWD is bar none my favorite show atm. Doesn't mean I'm any less aware of the show's shortcomings. The biggest thing TWD has going for it isn't award-winning source material, isn't us fanatical zombie-apocalypse-worshippers....Nope, it's how HARD the actors work. Not overacting, (well, at least very little of that) but you can really tell that Lincoln and the other all-but-unknowns are VERY aware that this is their shot to make a mark onscreen. Sure, some of them no doubt have hopes of TWD being a stepping stone to a major box-office production. All of them know however, that when their acting days are done and they've been dead for years there will STILL be people watching them portray Rick, Shane, Lori etc., in the same way people endlessly rewatch the various Star Trek shows. They all very well may pay the same typecast price as the crew of Kirk's Enterprise, but because of shows like Star Trek (and more recently Stargate: SG-1 to a lesser extent) these actors are aware that what they're doing right now, assuming they keep making it fun to watch, maybe isn't for posterity...but it's a damned close multi-generational legacy they've got a shot at.

Isn't that what all the REAL actors want even more than huge houses and enough cash and celebrity to be a total douche and still be above the law?

Thorn
27-Oct-2011, 02:17 PM
I do not think this has been mentioned.

How is this for a slice of fried gold?

Wyld and I are tasked with going into the FEMA trailer. We grab a walker who is isolated, Wyld kills him with a knife through the head (or arror take your pick).

I gut it, and we wear his entrails for a necklace... we dance in grab the meds and casually shamble off into the sunset.

How is it no one thought of this? Sure these two were not in the city when this happened but don't tell me that it would not have come up around a campfire, or in zombie survival 101 discussions.

DUMB.

Ragnarr
27-Oct-2011, 04:42 PM
I do not think this has been mentioned.

How is this for a slice of fried gold?

Wyld and I are tasked with going into the FEMA trailer. We grab a walker who is isolated, Wyld kills him with a knife through the head (or arror take your pick).

I gut it, and we wear his entrails for a necklace... we dance in grab the meds and casually shamble off into the sunset.

How is it no one thought of this? Sure these two were not in the city when this happened but don't tell me that it would not have come up around a campfire, or in zombie survival 101 discussions.

DUMB.

That sounds like a better plan then Shane and Otis' apparent lack of one for getting in AND out of the FEMA trailer. Hell, they could have performed a simple diversion by having a third survivor (perhaps on horseback) lead the pack of zeds away from the FEMA trailer prior to sending in Shane & Otis. But then again, the writers need to have the current scenes set up the later scenes that they wanted to happen. They needed Shane and Otis to be chased by a horde of zeds. If your plan was used, Shane and Otis would have easily escaped back to the farm just in time for fish and chips.

blind2d
27-Oct-2011, 06:07 PM
I think you mean beer and peanuts, but yes, good plan there. God I love Shaun... not in a gay way, not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just my door only swings one way... sort of.
*shakes head vigorously* Back on topic, yes, and what a horde it was. Well done, I say.

Ragnarr
27-Oct-2011, 09:46 PM
I think you mean beer and peanuts, but yes, good plan there. God I love Shaun... not in a gay way, not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just my door only swings one way... sort of.
*shakes head vigorously* Back on topic, yes, and what a horde it was. Well done, I say.

Shaun? Do you mean Shaun from Shaun of the Dead or do you mean Shane from TWD? (Not that there's anything wrong with you liking either one)

MikePizzoff
27-Oct-2011, 10:21 PM
1) Carl dies.

Well, the writers could go with Carl surviving, but isn't that what most people would expect?

I'm guessing you haven't read the comic? People would expect them to follow the comic's storyline pretty closely. They've strayed off a bit, but nothing as drastic as killing off a main character.

Ragnarr
27-Oct-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm guessing you haven't read the comic? People would expect them to follow the comic's storyline pretty closely. They've strayed off a bit, but nothing as drastic as killing off a main character.

I never read the comic, and you're right. After bassman gave me a clue that Carl was too important to the story to be killed off, I took a brief tour of the wiki outline of the TWD comics. I tried not to read too much into the story because the show is more fun for me NOT knowing what to expect.

blind2d
27-Oct-2011, 11:20 PM
Shaun of the Dead. Yeah, I only bought the first volume of the graphic novel and haven't read anything else, so I like being surprised by the show too. It's all in good fun.

MinionZombie
29-Oct-2011, 12:53 PM
Alright, time for the Brits to step in ... well, the ones who waited for it to show on FXUK anyway... :p

Dug the episode - loved the mirroring of Carl's post-shooting surgery etc with that of Rick's (excellent acting from Andrew Lincoln - when he staggers out of the house in a daze and wipes his own son's blood across his face by accident ... man ... that's some chilling stuff - excellent acting there).

Daryl continues to rock - some might say "oh that's handy" that Merle happens to have a shitload of drugs in his motorbike bag thingy, but in a world where you're surrounded by shit luck, I think it's only appropriate for them to catch the odd break - I mean heck, if you didn't you'd be shutting down plot bridges left, right and centre.

Interesting tweak of the casting for Otis - from a younger, scrawnier waste of space, to the dude with the eyes from Constantine and various other things - I like the change-up, and I agree, he's actually been useful here (well, after making the colossal bugger up of shooting Carl by accident, that is) - speaking of which, I loved the tension of Shane and Otis going for the supplies. When they craned up and revealed all the zombies milling around - ooh, loved that - and yes, I too thought "sky flowers" with the road flares ... a nice little touch there, even if it wasn't an intended reference. Also, naturally, them breaking into that building and closing that gate was TENSE - and pretty darn cool - some lovely close-ups on Nicotero and Co's zombie wizardry.

In terms of the continuing 'Dale taking Andrea's gun' thing - well, clearly the man cares a great deal for Andrea, and when in such a situation you obviously want to protect that person. Be it for selfish reasons to a certain degree or not, you care for someone and knowing full-well that they're in a suicidal state, you're not going to necessarily leave them with a handgun ... especially one that they don't know how to use properly ... it also makes sense from a practical zombie survival stand point. As was said, all these people running around with guns and not knowing how to use them - this was addressed in Volume 2 of the trade paperbacks as well, so it fits in with Kirkman's original plot - it makes sense for them to conserve the gun situation until they get a chance to lay down some basic weapons training for everyone. Indeed, with Carl having been shot, this could open up an interesting moral debate in the group regarding the use of guns, and whether or not Carl should be taught in how to use them ... something which, IIRC, was touched on in the comics.

Herschel - another quality choice of actor - he certainly feels like Herschel from the comics, and I think he's going to be a valuable addition to the cast. Plus - Maggie riding in on a horse and smacking that zombie in the face with a baseball bat was pretty darn rad ... and kinda hot. ;)

Lots of good character stuff - Dale continues to be a gentleman and a scholar with his head screwed on tight - the whole Shane/Rick/Lori/Carl thing was excellent - and I dig Daryl's sense of practicality and focus on the job at hand - after the awkward exchange between Andrea and Carol, it was nice to see him step in and essentially say that a bunch of platitudes and words won't help Sophia, but getting on with tracking her down in the woods will - I like his focus on the job at hand. Again, like so many are saying, he's clearly a very valuable member of the group now, which is good to see. Perhaps in later episodes we'll see a slightly softer side to him when he doesn't have to be on his guard all day long - I think that might be the reason that he's very one-track-minded in his focus at the moment ... there is no opportunity to let your guard down in his eyes. When he can take a breather, then perhaps we'll see something softer in his character - I'd love to see some further exploration of his backstory, and how he's clearly feeling that he's finally a part of something for once in his life - this group - despite the circumstances they all find themselves in.

I also agree that they need to find Sophia soon - or have a good reason for her being gone so long (which would either be she's dead ... which I doubt ... or she's been found by another family or group ... ... hmm, thinking about it, could she have stumbled upon Tyrese?)

My only problem had nothing to do with the show itself - it was the advert breaks - having FIVE FUCKING MINUTES OF BLOODY ADVERTS every 7-to-10 minutes of actual programming kept pulling me out when I was just settled back in to the show, which was annoying, but I'm determined to continue supporting the show officially on FXUK.

All-in-all - solid episode. It's TWD, so naturally I loved it, but clearly at this stage we're seeing various things getting set-up for later conflicts and story points - I look forward to seeing how this all progresses in time.

kidgloves
29-Oct-2011, 07:00 PM
MZ. Have you got a PVR? You can still register your support by recording TWD. Just watch it on a Monday like the rest of us Brits

Ragnarr
29-Oct-2011, 08:21 PM
My only problem had nothing to do with the show itself - it was the advert breaks - having FIVE FUCKING MINUTES OF BLOODY ADVERTS every 7-to-10 minutes of actual programming kept pulling me out when I was just settled back in to the show, which was annoying, but I'm determined to continue supporting the show officially on FXUK.

Same across the pond. I was all psyched that we the fans were about to get a bonus 30 minutes of the show, but by the end I realized that it was only a 60 minute episode that was jammed packed with 30 minutes of extra commercials. Did they think the viewers wouldn't be able to figure this out? I wonder.

bassman
29-Oct-2011, 08:52 PM
Same across the pond. I was all psyched that we the fans were about to get a bonus 30 minutes of the show, but by the end I realized that it was only a 60 minute episode that was jammed packed with 30 minutes of extra commercials. Did they think the viewers wouldn't be able to figure this out? I wonder.

The only "bonus" thirty minutes promised were with the season premieres. In reality the premieres were about seventy minutes with twenty of commercials. At the same time, further episodes are about fourty five minutes with fifteen in commercials. That's about the same with any TV series.

EvilNed
29-Oct-2011, 09:33 PM
A little bit too much "You've got to take care of your family, you've got to be there for him!" talk from Shane in this one. It feels awkward everytime Rick and Shane have a heart to heart, really. Otherwise great show.

Ragnarr
29-Oct-2011, 10:32 PM
A little bit too much "You've got to take care of your family, you've got to be there for him!" talk from Shane in this one. It feels awkward everytime Rick and Shane have a heart to heart, really. Otherwise great show.

While we were watching the show and during the scenes that you mention, my gf mimicked Shane saying, "yeah Rick, you've got to take care of your family or I'm liable to have sex with your wife again!" lol

bassman
30-Oct-2011, 12:15 AM
I often wonder if the results and opinions of TWD depend on the viewer's current environment. I could see why a single person could find the child/family environment a bit cheesy. It wouldn't matter to a person at that stage of their life.

EvilNed
30-Oct-2011, 12:51 AM
Don't really fit the bill there, and I just got a godson a few weeks ago as well. It still felt awkward.

kidgloves
30-Oct-2011, 01:13 AM
I often wonder if the results and opinions of TWD depend on the viewer's current environment. I could see why a single person could find the child/family environment a bit cheesy. It wouldn't matter to a person at that stage of their life.

Spot on. If you read the IMDB boards its clearly full of young people who don't get invested in the show from the emotional side. The main complaints are that its slow, no character development and the writing is terrible. I suppose thats how it would come across if you couldn't relate to these people and the absolute nightmare they are going through trying to adjust to the new world. The Rick, Shane and Lori triangle is fascinating to me

MinionZombie
30-Oct-2011, 11:05 AM
MZ. Have you got a PVR? You can still register your support by recording TWD. Just watch it on a Monday like the rest of us Brits

I do ... so I could do that ... however I do really like having a specific timeslot every week for it. It's all dark outside too ... if I was just going to watch a download it'd be the middle of the day at any old time and the effect would be somewhat lost. It's hard to explain, but it also helps add to the gleeful sense of anticipation ... does any of that make sense?

Spot on. If you read the IMDB boards its clearly full of young people who don't get invested in the show from the emotional side. The main complaints are that its slow, no character development and the writing is terrible. I suppose thats how it would come across if you couldn't relate to these people and the absolute nightmare they are going through trying to adjust to the new world. The Rick, Shane and Lori triangle is fascinating to me

I just don't get where those IMDb posters are coming from - it makes no sense whatsoever - there's a shit-ton of character develpoment, and the writing is pretty darn good, sometimes it's even stellar ... I think these people seem to think "character development" means "Levelling Up Your Mad Zombie Killin' Skillz". :rolleyes:

I'd imagine having a kid would make you connect much more to Rick's plight, but then again the acting is so good that I can connect with his plight quite easily - not fully from a personal stand point, but certainly as far as I can from an outsider's perspective ... if that makes sense. Methinks some of these people moaning about the show just want "Resident Evil: The Movie: The TV Series" ... :barf:

Ragnarr
30-Oct-2011, 05:11 PM
What those who might complain that TWD "moves too slow" fail to comprehend is that this is a zombie "series" and not the type of ninety minute zombie film they were used to seeing. Usually, a film has only 90 minutes to introduce its characters, develope the storyline in an interesting way, and conclude its story. As a result, the 90-minute film appears to be "moving faster" and "have more action" as compared to a weekly series with the luxury of time on its side.

Thorn
31-Oct-2011, 02:20 PM
I stopped reading the comment section there, it went down hill as the site gained popularity.

AcesandEights
31-Oct-2011, 02:40 PM
I stopped reading the comment section there, it went down hill as the site gained popularity.

Reminds me of how I feel about Kirkman's own boards for TWD and his other comics...ick.

Thorn
31-Oct-2011, 02:59 PM
Reminds me of how I feel about Kirkman's own boards for TWD and his other comics...ick.

Amen to that.

Mr. Blue
02-Nov-2011, 02:35 PM
Anyone else notice the possible nod to Breaking Bad? All the Meth at the bottom of the bag that Daryll pulls out is bright blue. . . .thought that was pretty funny.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I though that was pretty cool they did that.

Tricky
04-Nov-2011, 11:06 PM
Doh, wrong episode thread!