PDA

View Full Version : TWD 2x04 "Cherokee Rose" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

MinionZombie
05-Nov-2011, 12:42 PM
Episode Four discussion, folks. :)

rongravy
05-Nov-2011, 08:31 PM
I have to see it first...
Dang.
:p

kidgloves
06-Nov-2011, 12:02 PM
I wanna see a flashback with Dale. Maybe back to the 60's. Yeah man.

bassman
06-Nov-2011, 12:47 PM
It just occured to me that the Cherokee Rose is the state flower of Georgia, where TWD story takes place. I wonder how that will play into the story...

Ragnarr
06-Nov-2011, 02:52 PM
[ragnarr puts on his Elrond hat...]

Wait... I'm having a vision... yes, I can see it all now...

Shane's story about how Otis died will be found to be suspicious at best, or as an outright lie at even MORE bester!

(heh heh, retarded grammar rocks!)

babomb
07-Nov-2011, 01:43 AM
Hahahahahahaha Glenn's the fuckin man!!!!
I think Daryl wants himself some Carol!!!
I'm not so sure I like the idea of it turnin into a big "hook-up-fest"....

Mr. Blue
07-Nov-2011, 01:45 AM
Hahahahahahaha Glenn's the fuckin man!!!!

Yes he is, yes he is...

botc
07-Nov-2011, 01:46 AM
glen getting it in knew that was coming... or he did at least ha!!! this episode got me corn-fused??? the comics and wikia said nothing of this if following them as well trying to predict like i do. but anywho... dang it i might know something at the end of the episode.

bassman
07-Nov-2011, 02:03 AM
Not a bad episode, but certainly not the best of the season so far. I think I was mainly disappointed because it followed quite a few beats from the comics. Just about all the major plot points were known or could have been guessed from reading the comics.

Oh, and the preview for next week's episode? You-know-who is back. I predict a brother vs brother showdown. Daryl is such a good guy now, he's going to stand up for the group. Even if it means he has to defeat his brother.

JDFP
07-Nov-2011, 02:10 AM
Yay, Glen!

I like the whole build-up in the episode in thinking that Lori's asked for tampons when it turns out - wait for it, it's a pregnancy test! Oh, they got us good on that one in not seeing it coming!

With that said, I thought the episode was the weakest this season. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it - but basically nothing happened to help push the plot forward in any way. The well scene was just kinda useless to me other than showing some good zombie make-up and for some great gore ("Guess you won't be using that well again!" - har har!). It seemed that Sophia or another small person (perhaps a midget farmer) had been sleeping in the pantry from the pillow and the sheet - but Daryl, for whatever reason, didn't think it was a good idea to check upstairs? Huh? And if Sophia had been sleeping there you would think she would have had the common sense (even as young as she is) to lock the doors to the house she was in as well - but the doors were wide open. This leads me to believe that someone or a group of people have Sophia - from the scene to next week's episode it wouldn't surprise me at all if that "someone" turned out to be Merle who has Sophia and is keeping her.

Nothing else really of interest happened here that I can tell other than Herschel being folksy and everyone dealing with some demons. Of course, all of that is interesting but it was just overall a weak episode in my opinion as nothing really of importance took place.

j.p.

botc
07-Nov-2011, 02:26 AM
i think merle is a flash back... i could be wrong and i hope i am wrong. he will be looking forward to those pills t dogg took when he gets back... bet that clapp is itching/:elol:

Wyldwraith
07-Nov-2011, 02:26 AM
Hmm,
I was disappointed by this episode in a lot of ways. Herschel, who I never much cared for to begin with and even distrust to a significant degree, is coming down as unfeeling, controlling, suspicious (acting, not his demeanor towards others) and just....off. The effort at the well was the big constructive goal this episode (though also made me ask how a Walker got down there to begin with) was a total disaster, everything took a big step backwards with the re-institution of gun-seizures, and well....nothing really significant and/or meaningful happened.

Now, some will say "Wait, how can you say that. Lori's pregnancy test, Shane's almost-confession to Andrea etc. etc." To which I respond: I need a bit more meat than some touchy-feeling conversation and a few plot devices lifted straight out of daytime soaps. BAD daytime soaps at that (not as if there's such a thing as GOOD daytime soaps, but still). The endless search for Sophia continues, and the scenes from next week reveal Merle's reappearance (Ugh, a potential season-killer right there, and DEFINITELY something that's going to eat up multiple episodes dealing with the awful character they saddled poor Michael Rooker with) and Herschel as much as telling his daughter he's going to kick Rick's group out, despite what he said to Rick. The whole "You need to realize these people won't always be around, and some firm boundaries need to be set" set my teeth on edge.

The bottom line for me is this: I was looking forward to this episode as something that would start building momentum into something more interesting than Herschel's creepy behavior, Shane/Rick/Dale's grr-inducing decisions, Carl's convalescence and the endless Sophia search. I got none of what I was looking for from this episode and normally thats ok. One of the great things about TWD as a rule is that they might go in a different direction than you were anticipating, but that's cool because the different direction is almost always at least as enjoyable as what you THOUGHT you were gonna get.

It feels weird to say it, but this was the first AWFUL episode of S.2 of TWD for me. About the only positive thing I can say about it is at least they were decent enough to warn me Merle's back next episode, so I can skip that one and just catch a real quick plot synopsis from one of my friends/acquaintances who will no doubt watch it. At another time the Merle thing coulda been cool, but given the in-limbo momentum-absent episode this week, my knee-jerk reaction...the first thought/non-word that popped into my head when I saw that few second clip of Merle was "UGH!"

Sorry to be a downer all, but this one gets a 1.5/10 from me, and I'm only giving it the 1.5 solely on the improbable but interestingly gory bisection of the "swimmer."

Edit: JDFP, I was writing my post while you were writing yours, and I agree with about everything you said except enjoying the episode. Seems we were reading each others minds on a lot of aspects of this week's episodes, though I had a gut feeling it was birth control pills/contraceptive or a pregnancy test Lori sent Glenn for. Glad to know someone else felt let down too. Least I know I'm in good company. :)
I haven't read the comics, but as characters/a character location so many of the comic-fans seemed so excited to see unveiled, Herschel's farm and the events there have been for the most part IMO, very meh and something that drags in much the way that Sophia continuing to be missing has. Then, at the nadir of what has been a good season in a lot of ways, they fling Merle back into the mix...an event which will, no doubt, take advantage of all but Shane and Dale running around unarmed (Daryl and his last crossbow bolt don't count anymore).

botc
07-Nov-2011, 02:52 AM
yes it was a rather bland episdoe but do you really have to ANAL-ize everything? just leave it where it is and lets hope the next episode will be something better. i just hope the third season is better!

babomb
07-Nov-2011, 03:01 AM
Of course, all of that is interesting but it was just overall a weak episode in my opinion as nothing really of importance took place. Well, Lori's got a bun in the oven. That's a significant development.

This leads me to believe that someone or a group of people have Sophia - from the scene to next week's episode it wouldn't surprise me at all if that "someone" turned out to be Merle who has Sophia and is keeping her. He probably keeps her locked in that pantry.

Moon Knight
07-Nov-2011, 03:08 AM
I wouldn't say it was awful but I do agree nothing really pushed the story forward.

Stuff does get a bit over analyzed here but most of the time it leads to some pretty good discussions.

However, I can never understand when people dismiss scenes like The Swimmer in the well. Who cares if it didn't really have a place in the story, I think it was awesome and a really good gag, who here doesn't like shit like that? lol

My biggest complaint is the one I had since the original season opener. Just find Sophia already, c'mon!

Ragnarr
07-Nov-2011, 03:35 AM
Sooo let me get episode #2-04 straight:

-Absolutely no one thinks it's weird that Shane brought Rick's pistol (originally lent to Otis) back after he also mentions that they were "down to pistols" during his speech at Otis' funeral rock-piling thing...

-Glenn & farmer girl ride to the pharmacy, hitch the horses (leaving their potentially yummy goodness to any zeds that might happen by) and go inside for supplies & to bump uglies...

-Lori "passes" her test (who didn't see THAT one coming and while we're at it, who cares)...

-Rick retires his for-some-weird-reason-no-longer-bloodstained uniform...

(sigh) The TWD writers are not pissing on my leg and telling me that it's raining, they're pissing on my leg and TELLING me that they're pissing on my leg! Grrrr!

babomb
07-Nov-2011, 03:42 AM
I'd have to agree that it was relatively uneventful. I thought the same about episode 2. I'm not let down though. They can't all be as intense.
I'm satisfied with Glenn getting to be the "go to town on Maggie expert". I've read the comics, not every single one and not for a few years now though, but there's alot I don't remember.

1 thing that keeps recurring that bugs me is there's never a well thought out plan regarding any of their actions. No backup plans are ever made or anything. Glenn gets lowered into the well with nothing but a flashlight. How can you not have the forethought to anticipate a potential problem in that scenario? The rope could break? The thing on the bottom could grab hold too well, someone could let go of the rope up top. So maybe bringing a decent sized blade of some sort would've been in order? If it was me going down that damn well, I'd make sure to have more than 1 blade. A firearm wouldn't be practical in that situation, but a long blade that could penetrate the skull would definitely be with me.

Sammich
07-Nov-2011, 03:46 AM
Expect more young romance and soap opera type conflicts in the upcomming post-darabont and possibly post-kirkman season 3 of TWD! The show will take on issues more conducive to attracting the young hip audience that craves "reality" show plotlines.

Wyldwraith
07-Nov-2011, 03:51 AM
I wasn't so much analyzing as expressing what I felt to be the shortfall between my hopes for this episode and the disappointing reality.
Maybe it's as simple as my having difficulty relating to interpersonal scenes where one or more of the individuals involved behaves in a manner I would not behave as such in a million years. So when people push it to the opposite extremes of what I consider to be normal behavior, I tend to sort of tap my foot/drum my fingers on the nightstand and wait for said scene to end.

For me at least, and unlike every other Season 2 episode, there just wasn't anything that really drew me in. Oh sure, there were a few tidbits of info with potential, but overall just kinda left me checking the TV Guide channel during commercials to see how much longer it was gonna be before this episode would be over. Which, as a fluke, wouldn't be nearly as bad as coupling it with Merle's return. That was the 1st time that the scenes from next week didn't leave me hungry for more. Quite the opposite, in fact.

That's just my personal taste though. The mileage of others will no doubt vary.

JDFP
07-Nov-2011, 04:02 AM
So, here's a question to ponder. Does the baby belong to Rick or Shane?

No doubt in another 5 episodes when she finally decides to announce it (after reflecting on her situation for those 5 episodes before deciding it's best to tell everyone) to Rick/Shane and the rest of the Scooby gang there's going to be some interesting tension there. "Oh, by the way Rick, this might be Shane's baby." - yeah, stay tuned to S3 on that one.

Overall, I dig the show but I do have a complaint with the pacing this season. If this is the type of pacing we're expecting from these first four episodes maybe they should have left the show at six episodes per season instead of extending it to 13 to speed it along instead of inserting filler material like spending a good 20 minutes dealing with a zombie at the bottom of a well.

j.p.

Ragnarr
07-Nov-2011, 04:35 AM
I totally get the idea that every episode will not be an action episode; a 1 per 2 episode ratio would be fine. I just wish that the writers/director would pay more attention to a more logical continuity and try to avoid the trap of soap opera bull like "who's this baby's daddy."

A farmhouse during a zombie apocalype. Lights on like beacons in the night. No one guarding. Zombie goes swimming. Oi vey!

Mr. Clean
07-Nov-2011, 04:54 AM
Great episode....Talking Dead showed......

Daryl fall off a horse and get stabbed by an arrow :(

Doc
07-Nov-2011, 07:00 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they find a truck load of water in the first episode of this season? Why not go back and get that. :-X

Also, why couldn't they make a noose, hook it around the zombie's neck & haul him out of the well?

And wouldn't the well be contaminated anyway after they get it out? It's not like its going to be automatically purify after the fact.

jded
07-Nov-2011, 07:05 AM
Hopefully at this point this will prove to be the weakest episode of the season. I guess I must be craving the action. Again, where has the groups reasoning gone? Down the well with live bait?
Let me ask how some of you could not be looking forward to Merle's return? He's exactly the ingredient needed to stir things up, cause it all to be twisted even more than it already is. I mean, he cut off his own hand to keep from being eaten alive. I can't wait to see the surprises he'll bring to the story and how it will upset the group.

Now tell me, how much time has elapsed since Lori and Shane went at it? Maybe it doesn't matter. But yeah she's sweating bullets. Or maybe she's worried she'll slow the the rest of them down with her mystery child.

kidgloves
07-Nov-2011, 10:11 AM
So many different opinions on this show. I thought this was one of the best episodes along with episode 2. Its the first one that really felt like TWD comic. If I remember correctly, the Glen/Maggie fling happens exactly the same in the comic but in a different location. In fact the first few issues are full of characters shagging the arse off each other looking for comfort and intimacy

Wyldwraith
07-Nov-2011, 10:38 AM
Personally,
I see what you're getting at concerning Merle, but the Merle character is so unthinkingly shallow and stereotype-driven that it's difficult to visualize any plot threads involving Merle that could actually be enjoyable to watch. Same deal with Merle-as-plot-device adding to the quality of this season's overarching plot arc.

If Merle gains the upper hand (pun intended) over Rick and Co., think this is where Rick might get one of his hands chopped off? The comic readers among us have mentioned that plot device more than once... I am a little curious what's been going on with Merle in the intervening interval since we last saw him cuffed on the rooftop in Season 1/Ep. 2 "Guts", but not so curious I wanted Merle thrown back into this low-point in the story. This has nothing to do with action or no action. At least not for me. I just want story progress, mostly in the form of resolutions to plot points which have dragged,

Lastly, WTH is up with the all-but-zombie-free farm of Herschel's? And what's the deal with Maggie being fine with swooping in atop a galloping horse and smashing the deadhead about to eat Andrea, yet almost loses it when they terminate well-zombie? That was just bizarre for me.

kidgloves
07-Nov-2011, 10:58 AM
If Merle gains the upper hand (pun intended) over Rick and Co., think this is where Rick might get one of his hands chopped off? The comic readers among us have mentioned that plot device more than once...

Kirkman has said that he regrets doing that in the comics and it won't happen in the tv show as it would be difficult to do and costly. Fx, shooting angles etc

Lastly, WTH is up with the all-but-zombie-free farm of Herschel's? And what's the deal with Maggie being fine with swooping in atop a galloping horse and smashing the deadhead about to eat Andrea, yet almost loses it when they terminate well-zombie? That was just bizarre for me.

I think its safe to assume that the well zombie was one of her family.

Zombie Snack
07-Nov-2011, 11:40 AM
Weakest episode so far this season for me.

rightwing401
07-Nov-2011, 12:02 PM
I think my wife summed up the best feeling that I have about the last episode. When it ended, she looked across the couch from me and stated very bluntly.

"Ok. Seriously, they need to find this f-ing kid already. This has passed beyond being an interesting plot line into just pissing me off."

bassman
07-Nov-2011, 12:06 PM
Its the first one that really felt like TWD comic.

I agree. Imo that was a good thing, yet also a bad thing for this episode because I saw the Glenn/Maggie situation and the pregnancy situation coming from a mile away. I was kinda hoping for a bit more "off the path" story from the comics.

All these people complaining that the drama and "soap opera" aspects of this show are bringing it down should REALLY get their hands on the comics so they know whats in store for the rest of this series. If they find these recent revelations to be disappointing, they might as well give up now. TWD is drama. Not the Left 4 Dead zombie splatter hour.

kidgloves
07-Nov-2011, 01:15 PM
I agree. Imo that was a good thing, yet also a bad thing for this episode because I saw the Glenn/Maggie situation and the pregnancy situation coming from a mile away. I was kinda hoping for a bit more "off the path" story from the comics.

Im in a situation where i know whats going to happen but can't remember when. I saw Carls shooting coming but for some reason i wasn't expecting Maggie and Glen to get it on so quick nor the pregnancy thing to come up this early.
From the opening shot when the rest of the group turn up at the farm i just had a huge grin on my face and for the first time i can imagine how well the storylines are going to work on the tv version. Up until now, i've been pretty cautious about the whole thing working on tv. It is based on a comic afterall. Some things that go on in that comic are just way over the top for tv. The well scene is a perfect example. Thats the sort of thing i would expect in the comic (even though it isn't) and wouldn't bat an eyelid at it. On tv it seems contrived and ridiculous but the payoff was worth it. I haven't laughed out that loud for ages. It was a good example of a gag working unlike the gutting scene in the premiere.
Up until this episode, I've found some of the dialogue and scenes between the characters to be clunky and completely unnatural. Almost as if a comic book writer was trying to convey what his characters were thinking in a comic book as opposed to actors playing out the scene. I know other people are involved in the writers room but i can't help thinking Kirkman has got his hands all over this which isn't a good thing in my book. Let him chart the path but let the writers and actors create the scenes.
I've gone from cautiously optimistic to very hopeful of what lies ahead (pun intended).

joeharley666
07-Nov-2011, 01:27 PM
I actually love the fact that they have not found Sophia, and I hope they never do. Kids disappear all the time in everyday life. This is an apocalyptic world, I think it would be great if they eventually had to move on without her and having to deal with the guilt, what ifs, and always wondering what happened. I have no complaints about the pace, it feels real to me. And never finding the kid would add so much to the atmosphere of the world they now live in. If they find the kid I'm gonna be really disappointed with the direction. Why does there need to be always the happy ending or solution???

botc
07-Nov-2011, 02:06 PM
ok i may be posting info you may see as a SPOILER... but it cant really be considered so because i have no info as to what will happen this season since ive seen every episode available to the general public. with that said the fates of certain people havent been decided in the show though the comic they were decided.

the fate of characters in the comic book is commonplace and requires going to wikia... shanes fate was decided before carl was shot and before hershels farm. same with the pregnancy thing. now merle and daryl were never in the comic so who knows. i personally like merle because i think it will lead to some action in the next show if he actually shows up or is just a day dream brought up by daryl after falling... CHUPACABRA the next episode could mean daryl comin back or explaining why hershel didnt want rick and his crew near the barn... which may also explain why the wallker was in the well!!! carl with ricks hat is iconic from the comic book as is glenn and maggie getting it on. lets just say i dont think the group will last much longer at the farm because of glenn's actions or that of the possible merle return.

AND THEN I SAY PRISON!!!

but i will leave the rest up to you.:elol:

AND FIND THE STUPID LITTLE GIRL OR NOT IM TIRED OF THEM WASTING TIME WITH THIS CRAP!

Ragnarr
07-Nov-2011, 04:53 PM
From the perscpective of someone who hasn't read the comic, I can only assume that the whole "where's Sophia" thing is only a plot hook to keep the characters stuck at or near the farm; in other words, to keep them NOT moving on to better (or worse) things.

My guess, like someone mentioned before on this thread, is that the scene in which we see Meryl (sneak peek of episode 205) is only a flashback Daryl has as he's half conscious. Then again... hmm.

Trencher
07-Nov-2011, 07:05 PM
I have a lot of things to say aobut the other episodes as well but never got around to it. So I am going to comment on this one first. I like that Daryl goes around looking for Sophia, the exploration aspect is one of my favorite things about the zombie apocalypse genre, looking on how people have lived how they died so on. And you never know what is around next corner making life interesting. I liked this episode its great to see Christians being portrayed as stiff, preachy types who lives the simple life with humility rather than the more common canniball-redneck-rapist-pedophile-bloodshame portrayl. Also I liked how this one was cut compared to last episode, the constant back and fourth between the zombie chase and the parents dialouge in the last episode was grating to say the least. The more laidback tone of this episode was much more calming for the nerves and having Daryl go looking for Sophia is great because we can not know if he lives or dies. I hope Sophia is found soon but I like the story overall. All the actors does such great job showing real emotion and bringing these comic book characters to life. Forgive me for being fanboyish but it is a dream come true to see these characters interact. Which is why I dont care about Merle that much, he is too much movie evil not real enough.

Legion2213
07-Nov-2011, 07:54 PM
Daryl continues to be the single most awesome character in this show. Absolutely brilliant. :cool:

Oh, and I would have told that hot farmer babe to keep her cowboy hat on while I rocked her socks, she looked bang tasty in it. :D

Trencher, your point about seeing a bit of exploration is spot on mate, I love that sort of stuff in any PA media.

acealive1
07-Nov-2011, 08:34 PM
ok for starters, glenn u bastard. (saw it coming though) and lori, you slut. that is all.

now i see where shane is coming from, he's slowly giving veiled hints as to what his training makes him do.

-- -------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they find a truck load of water in the first episode of this season? Why not go back and get that. :-X

Also, why couldn't they make a noose, hook it around the zombie's neck & haul him out of the well?

And wouldn't the well be contaminated anyway after they get it out? It's not like its going to be automatically purify after the fact.

why didnt t dog just hook the geek's ankle with the crow bar and flip him backwards out of the well?

botc
07-Nov-2011, 09:11 PM
with that said i dont know i think t dogg is still whacked out from the cut. he is kinda the biggest douche in the whole group aside from andrea. and does anyone else think that daryl is gay?

ok on to some other stuff i wish to talk about. in the book dale and andrea get it in! but you really dont see their relationship growing like that. furthermore if you look at rick giving carl his hat that is iconic in the book since carl is seen wearing shortly after rick decides to let him have a gun, and why isnt shane dead? he shouldve been dead back in atlanta??? id really like to know what will become of him in this season. and what about the interaction between daryl and carol in episode 4... is daryl and carol gonna get it in?

i really honestly think that daryl is a gay redneck because he hasnt even once come onto any of the single women in the camp. thoughts feelings?

and what of the zombies in the barn? is this why hershel didnt want them in the barn?

if you are reading this then you suck balls!!! MADE YOU LOOK!!!

acealive1
07-Nov-2011, 09:48 PM
daryl doesnt really strike me as gay.......looks like he was gonna get him some andrea when they saw the hanging geek

Legion2213
07-Nov-2011, 09:57 PM
Botc, you'll burn in Hell for spoiler 3 :mad:

And Daryl isn't gay, you just want him to be! :p

jded
07-Nov-2011, 10:05 PM
Wouldn't that be something, the strongest (I'm not talking muscle capacity) most badass character of the bunch is gay? I highly doubt it.

bd2999
07-Nov-2011, 11:50 PM
I liked it and honestly I think alot of you guys are being really hard on it. No zombie attacks in the episode really, but I think it establishes a period of rest for the group. The next one looks like all hell breaks loose, and it does in the comics at this point as well. I think you need episodes like this to set up the next one or else it gets old after a while.

Nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell. The story is still fine, the acting is fine and so on. Everything is good.

botc
08-Nov-2011, 01:26 AM
legion haha

AcesandEights
08-Nov-2011, 01:52 AM
I was sure Cherokee Rose was going to be the name of a new stripper character.

Mr. Clean
08-Nov-2011, 02:41 AM
with that said i dont know i think t dogg is still whacked out from the cut. he is kinda the biggest douche in the whole group aside from andrea. and does anyone else think that daryl is gay?

ok on to some other stuff i wish to talk about. in the book dale and andrea get it in! but you really dont see their relationship growing like that. furthermore if you look at rick giving carl his hat that is iconic in the book since carl is seen wearing shortly after rick decides to let him have a gun, and why isnt shane dead? he shouldve been dead back in atlanta??? id really like to know what will become of him in this season. and what about the interaction between daryl and carol in episode 4... is daryl and carol gonna get it in?

i really honestly think that daryl is a gay redneck because he hasnt even once come onto any of the single women in the camp. thoughts feelings?

and what of the zombies in the barn? is this why hershel didnt want them in the barn?

if you are reading this then you suck balls!!! MADE YOU LOOK!!!

:lol: lol @ spoiler #3...pretty damn funny!

babomb
08-Nov-2011, 04:40 AM
why didnt t dog just hook the geek's ankle with the crow bar and flip him backwards out of the well? I thought they could've just grabbed the thing from the bottom and flipped it out. And it's a farm, there's gotta be an engine winch they coulda rigged above the well. But, then the zombie wouldn't have ripped in half. Which was the point really.

Ragnarr
08-Nov-2011, 04:57 AM
I thought they could've just grabbed the thing from the bottom and flipped it out. And it's a farm, there's gotta be an engine winch they coulda rigged above the well. But, then the zombie wouldn't have ripped in half. Which was the point really.

I'm doing my best to suspend logic and/or common sense when it comes to the character's actions in the series. If I don't, I wind up gnawing on my remote while growling something unintelligible.

Mr. Clean
08-Nov-2011, 05:19 AM
I think the well was a lost cause anyways. Bloated zombie in your well = contaminated water....That's my math anyways

clanglee
08-Nov-2011, 05:37 AM
Huh. . .weird that so many people didn't like this episode. . .I enjoyed it quite a bit. Probably because it was so close to the comic plot. And as far as it being a hook up episode?. . .maybe, but hell. . .that happens ALL THE TIME in the comics, so I don't see an issue with it here. Looking foward to the upcoming episodes.

Wyldwraith
08-Nov-2011, 09:32 AM
I think that's one of the sharp divisions in the schools of thought round here,
Some are major fans of TWD comic, so appreciate links in the show to what is for them a favorite comic. Others (like myself) have 0% exposure to the comics, and as such view TWD on its merits as we would any other TV show. Me personally, my standard for the quality of an episode is based on 3 elements. Ability to drawn me in/make me care about the results of actions taking place on screen, within comfortable boundaries of my suspension of disbelief (stuff like Dawn '04 runners being an example of something that would exceed what I deem "comfortable"), and how much I enjoy each episode overall.

While I can respect that sometimes a writer will be forced to accept a sub-optimal short-term result to set up a high-quality plot arc's foundation/basis in continuity (happens in my own writing all the time), this last episode just didn't pass muster for an overall enjoyable experience for me. Not so self-involved I think my personal feelings about this episode should affect the opinions of others, just expressing my general reactions to it.

And yes, Daryl continues to become more interesting. So far as the Lori + pregnancy test though, I saw that one coming awhile back when it became clear neither Shane or Lori were going to confess what had happened between them to Rick in the short term. On one hand, it's a feasible result (we need look no further than Jerry Springer to know this stuff happens quite a bit)...while on the other hand (for me at least) "forcing the issue" by having Lori turn up pregnant due to a short-term sexual interlude (It was something like a month or less since the scene with Shane in Rick's hospital room, so Shane + Lori coulda easily missed her ovulation window that month....if she even HAD ONE. Women under sustained systemic stress suffer from all sorts of irregularities with their more complex half of the reproductive equation.) However, I'm sure one of our female posters could speak with more authority on this subject than I can.

Thorn
08-Nov-2011, 12:41 PM
Yay, Glen!

I like the whole build-up in the episode in thinking that Lori's asked for tampons when it turns out - wait for it, it's a pregnancy test! Oh, they got us good on that one in not seeing it coming!

With that said, I thought the episode was the weakest this season. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it - but basically nothing happened to help push the plot forward in any way. The well scene was just kinda useless to me other than showing some good zombie make-up and for some great gore ("Guess you won't be using that well again!" - har har!). It seemed that Sophia or another small person (perhaps a midget farmer) had been sleeping in the pantry from the pillow and the sheet - but Daryl, for whatever reason, didn't think it was a good idea to check upstairs? Huh? And if Sophia had been sleeping there you would think she would have had the common sense (even as young as she is) to lock the doors to the house she was in as well - but the doors were wide open. This leads me to believe that someone or a group of people have Sophia - from the scene to next week's episode it wouldn't surprise me at all if that "someone" turned out to be Merle who has Sophia and is keeping her.

Nothing else really of interest happened here that I can tell other than Herschel being folksy and everyone dealing with some demons. Of course, all of that is interesting but it was just overall a weak episode in my opinion as nothing really of importance took place.

j.p.

Merele was my thought as well, he has Sophia and would no allow her to return. HE wouldn't even have to be a jerk about it as a kid she might easily believe he meant well for her as a former member of the group if he spun it right. Then again at this point, without a hand, having survived on his own (possibly having lead a horde of zombies to camp), and having his wee pea brain baked in the sun for a while in Hot-Lanta.... I imagine he likely just went for the brute force threat approach.

As for it not turning into a hook up-fest, sadly this is something that happens usually, and in the comics there is a good bit of it. I can understand it too, when you can not control the world around you, and you feel lost and alone you turn to others for comfort and at times having someone there to ground you is just what you need to not feel alone and give you something to keep fighting for... not mention no tv... pleasures of the flesh is a great form of entertainment.

As for nothing happening, I disagree. I saw a lot happen as far as character development and setting the table for the feast to come. This was the episode we see there is more to Hersch and his farm than scenic views and child saving. The foreshadowing is obvious to those of us familiar with the comic and it will make sense to the rest of you later. There were 3 subtle moments at least where I was grinning ear to ear because it was like a good book, you turn the page and you are being lead down a path and only bits are shown to you at a time. Either it is or is not missed by the viewer. Or in my case I already know what is coming so it sure is easy to pick up on those subtle bits of foreshadowing.

Was it all out action at a break neck speed? Was there gun battles, zombie hordes, and betrayal? No but tv shows can not always be that or they ARE soap operas. Or the A team where you put people in the same impossible scenarios over and over with no mind for development of the characters, relationships, and personalities that truly makes you care about them.

Plus... GLENN GETS SOME!!

krisvds
08-Nov-2011, 01:19 PM
Some issues I had with this episode:
- after all that fuzz concerning the (ab)use of firearms being to noisy I found the approach of the RV and, especially, Daryl's bike as they rode up to the farm quite, well, noisy. You can hear these guys coming from miles away...
- Water shortage? Really? After that creek in the forest and the supplies they stumbled upon in episode 1?
- The people in the farm like to have the lights on at night while leaving the drapes open AND having little to no people actually guarding the place? There can be a frightnening shortage of 'dread' in the series.
- The love triangle ... predictable and very, very boring. C'mon, this is starting to look like Sawyer, Jack and Kate from Lost.

Still looking forward to future episodes though. As a fan of the comic book I cant wait to see how they will tackle the rest of the 'Farm' storyline

blind2d
08-Nov-2011, 01:30 PM
I liked it! What Thorn said. Glenn is cool.
Also the Cherokee rose story was neat. I'm really starting to like Daryl a lot.
You know character names from Lost, kris? I'm sorry to hear that...
Well zed was well fed. Also he looked fantastic. Reminded me of the beginning of Army of Darkness a little bit, y'know, the whole pit thing. How they went about him as a situation was just idiotic... but of course Glenn saved the day... It was a really good episode for him, I must say.
I really don't care for bald Shane and that blond bimbo. But you're not really supposed to, are you?
The part with Rick being a father was really nice. Especially the hat deal.
I can't believe you would fuck in a pharmacy of all places, though. Even if it's the end of the world.
Sophia is driving me up the wall. Where the hell is she?!
Hm... yes, I quite enjoyed it. Needs more explosions, though. And too many white people. Meh, whatever there though.

bassman
08-Nov-2011, 01:40 PM
- after all that fuzz concerning the (ab)use of firearms being to noisy I found the approach of the RV and, especially, Daryl's bike as they rode up to the farm quite, well, noisy. You can hear these guys coming from miles away...

With wide open farm lands, pastures, mountains, and forrests, it would be difficult for anyone(or thing) to determine the exact location of the sound. Much like the Charger's car alarm in the quarry in episode 103. Of course the same could be said about the walkers being able to pinpoint the source of gunfire, but ya know....

- Water shortage? Really? After that creek in the forest and the supplies they stumbled upon in episode 1?

Did they say there was a shortage? I believe Maggie says the farm has five or six wells. They were just attempting to pull the bloated walker from the one well just to deal with it and get it out of the way.

krisvds
08-Nov-2011, 02:47 PM
Did they say there was a shortage? I believe Maggie says the farm has five or six wells. They were just attempting to pull the bloated walker from the one well just to deal with it and get it out of the way.

You are right. They didn't. Which makes it all the more improbable. If they have no shortage of water why lower one of the most valued team members into that well armed with basically nothing? Makes little sense. At least give the poor guy a knife.

@ blind2d : LOL (blushes)

bassman
08-Nov-2011, 02:52 PM
You are right. They didn't. Which makes it all the more improbable. If they have no shortage of water why lower one of the most valued team members into that well armed with basically nothing? Makes little sense. At least give the poor guy a knife.

But that's the point. They were trying to avoid getting any(more) of the walker's blood into the water in an attempt to salvage the well. They may have had many more sources of water, but they need to salvage every bit they can for the long run. Of course it all didn't work out, but that was the reason they sent Glenn in to laso his arms and pull him out. As Glenn jokes once he's out, it would've been easier to just shoot him and board up the well, which they eventually did.

AcesandEights
08-Nov-2011, 03:05 PM
Dunno, to the team, Herschel's famr seems fairly untouched and is--for now--a bit of an oasis. I assumed they wanted to help keep it as such, especially since some of them may well be entertaining the idea of spending a good deal of time there.

My initial thoughts were very similar to what a lot of people have mentioned: "not worth the risk for only the possibility of salvaging the well," but I can still see going to the trouble of trying to get it out....just not by lowering a person down into the well to do so. I get that it was a dependable source of potable water, but I still think manpower is the new high-demand resource right now and as long as there are other possible sources of water they shouldn't be pissing away lives on maybes.

krisvds
08-Nov-2011, 03:37 PM
But that's the point. They were trying to avoid getting any(more) of the walker's blood into the water in an attempt to salvage the well. They may have had many more sources of water, but they need to salvage every bit they can for the long run.

I get that. Still doesn't explain why they wouldn't send him down armed in case he had to defend himself ... You know just in case?
The whole scene played out as an excuse to get some zombie-action in an otherwise talky episode.
On the other hand: what great make-up by Nicotero! He is the true star of the series IMO. The bloated zombie reminded me of Henrietta, the Evil Dead 2 cellar demon.

bassman
08-Nov-2011, 03:53 PM
Still doesn't explain why they wouldn't send him down armed in case he had to defend himself ... You know just in case?
The whole scene played out as an excuse to get some zombie-action in an otherwise talky episode.

Why not send him with a weapon? Because it's a TV show and they have to create some sort of tension. :p

I definitely don't disagree with the whole scene being fodder for the zombie gore hounds, though. I could have lived without the scene but as you said, Nicotero of course knocked the effects
out of the park.

Thorn
08-Nov-2011, 04:28 PM
I think all in all I would give the show a 7.5. I certainly didn't hate it.

I loved the character development, foreshadowing, internal conflict, relationship building, costuming, make up, lighting, and everything else... I just guess it is one of those things where everyone has opinions and expectations.

As for where Sophia is, I think it is pretty clear she was living in the cupboard under the stairs Ala harry potter. ;)

Ragnarr
08-Nov-2011, 05:22 PM
Some issues I had with this episode:
Mostly agree, but if the noise of their moving vehicles were to attract zeds, they would've had a rock concert full of the buggers following them since season 1.

- Water shortage? Really? After that creek in the forest and the supplies they stumbled upon in episode 1?...
A person needs like a gallon of water each day, and cannot live more than 3 days without. Creek water would need to be decontaminated (you never know what's sitting in the water upstream).

- The people in the farm like to have the lights on at night while leaving the drapes open AND having little to no people actually guarding the place? There can be a frightnening shortage of 'dread' in the series.... Absolutely agree. I brought that same point up earlier.

- The love triangle ... predictable and very, very boring. C'mon, this is starting to look like Sawyer, Jack and Kate from Lost....
Absolutely agree again. I couldn't care less about the love triangle sub-plot and also the "where's Sophia" sub-plot. More zed fighting action scenes please.

I might be looking too far into Daryl's injury in the next episode, but if he was injured by one of his arrows after falling off the horse AND it was one of the arrows re-used from a previous zombie killing, will he risk being infected from the dried zed blood?

"I don't know, Davey! God's not going to like this!" -Goliath

kidgloves
08-Nov-2011, 06:11 PM
The well scene was totally for the gag and i loved it even though they said they had 5 of them :confused:

On a side note: Does anyone else remember seeing helicopters in a short "coming this season on TWD" clip at the end of the premiere?

bassman
08-Nov-2011, 06:14 PM
On a side note: Does anyone else remember seeing helicopters in a short "coming this season on TWD" clip at the end of the premiere?

Yeah, I remember that. Looking closely at that clip, I believe it's a flashback to the night Shane, Lori, and Carl are heading into Atlanta.

kidgloves
08-Nov-2011, 06:42 PM
Yeah, I remember that. Looking closely at that clip, I believe it's a flashback to the night Shane, Lori, and Carl are heading into Atlanta.

Hmmm. Interesting. I would love to see some footage DURING the breakdown of society. Its one of my favourite elements of the genre. They could do it all cgi as well. While we at it, i want to see an episode dedicated to Morgan and Duane only. A day in the life of the pair. Shit. Why not a day in the life of a zombie christmas special, a bit like the Lower Decks episode in TNG. Its a tv show. They can do this stuff. Right?

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luavlz5ZBP1qzado8o2_500.gif

acealive1
08-Nov-2011, 06:49 PM
all im saying is maggie basically said no condoms and its a one time thing.............did glenn knock her up?

:evil:

mpokera
08-Nov-2011, 09:10 PM
All in all I enjoyed the episode, maybe not nearly as much as some of the more action, scare packed others but hey its still TWD, and since I have read and loved the comics its is enjoyable to see some of the familiar storylines setting themselves up. Loved how simultaneously nerdy and badass Glenn was in this one, he is doing a wonderful job of portraying the role. Made me wish it was a showtime series for Maggie's line tho, I loved the out of the blue "I'll fuck you" from the comic, "I'll have sex with you" as they had to do it for AMC was ok but missed a little bit of the "wait. what?" factor.

As for the well, I wondered if they were seriously thinking of drinking the water if they had been able to get the zombie out rel. intact? How could you test it to see if it was safe? Let someone drink it and see if he dies? And while not a water table expert by any means, isnt it quite possible that some of the wells on the property are actually inter-connected below ground? And yes the way they went about it was clearly asinine but it was also clearly to set up two moments, the first when they decided to use human bait and everyone turned to look at Glenn immediately, and the second when the zombie split.

I have a real problem with how secure everyone feels at the farm, obv there are some reveals to come,
"no, you shouldnt camp over by the barn....", but still they are WAY too comfortable, again no real gaurds posted or walking the perimiter. If it really was that safe, which I cant see as being possible but still if it was, then there is NO WAY IN HELL I am leaving again. If Herschel doesnt like it I would remind him just exactly who has all the guns here, not to mention the men trained to use them. Not saying I would steal their farm or anything but we arent going back out into the deadly world. They can coexist and we would help them to keep it safe.

AcesandEights
08-Nov-2011, 09:58 PM
Mpokera, I just added a spoiler tag around a detail in your above post that is possibly relevant to the future plot, per the comic.

there is NO WAY IN HELL I am leaving again. If Herschel doesnt like it I would remind him just exactly who has all the guns here, not to mention the men trained to use them. Not saying I would steal their farm or anything but we arent going back out into the deadly world. They can coexist and we would help them to keep it safe.
Yes, and they would just need to give you a big hat and call you President for Life. :)

Legion2213
08-Nov-2011, 11:33 PM
If it really was that safe, which I cant see as being possible but still if it was, then there is NO WAY IN HELL I am leaving again. If Herschel doesnt like it I would remind him just exactly who has all the guns here, not to mention the men trained to use them. Not saying I would steal their farm or anything but we arent going back out into the deadly world. They can coexist and we would help them to keep it safe.

Forcing yourself onto somebodys property is not "coexisting" it's taking over. More like the actions of the biker gang from Dawn than anybody I'm gonna be rooting for after zombiegeddon.

If Herschels farm is safe, there is no reason why the survivors couldn't just find another tract of land like it, America is a huge fucking country with thousands of places like that.

Seriously though, if our surviors start acting like that as a whole group, I'll be rooting for them all to get shredded by the next herd.

mpokera
09-Nov-2011, 01:41 AM
Forcing yourself onto somebodys property is not "coexisting" it's taking over. More like the actions of the biker gang from Dawn than anybody I'm gonna be rooting for after zombiegeddon.

If Herschels farm is safe, there is no reason why the survivors couldn't just find another tract of land like it, America is a huge fucking country with thousands of places like that.

Seriously though, if our surviors start acting like that as a whole group, I'll be rooting for them all to get shredded by the next herd.

I get all that, I really do, I am just saying, put yourself in their place. The horriffic struggle they have just been through, losing people right and left, and then the herd. Then all of a sudden they are in a place that at least 'seems' to be safe. They can take a breath and not constantly worry about being killed and eaten at every second. How hard would it be to even think about leaving? And btw the comparison to the bikers from Dawn is completely unfair, they were destroying everything and would have obv killed the others. That is a long, long way from saying 'we will stay and help everyone to be even safer, not taking over, just not leaving"

-- -------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Mpokera, I just added a spoiler tag around a detail in your above post that is possibly relevant to the future plot, per the comic.

My bad, didnt think it was a spoiler as it was actually a direct quote from the episode, but I can see what you mean because of foreshadowing by emphasis. I stand corrected.

Gemini
09-Nov-2011, 01:55 AM
Very boring episode. The big climax at the end was something that was hinted at in the season 1 finale and was no surprise at all. The character development seemed a bit strained. I thought Shane had gone off the deep end at the end of Ep. 3 but he seems completely back to normal now? Disappointing. About the only moment that saved it was the well zombie falling apart, that was awesome. For those that have read the comic book, they should have sped this episode up. They could have gone through the whole Hershel farm sequence in this one episode rather than dragging it like they are.

And would it kill them to cgi in some zombie hordes in the distance here and there? Again, the threat is starting to feel a bit too mild.

Trencher
09-Nov-2011, 02:54 AM
The best thing about Hershels place is that Hershel is there, someone who knows whats he is doing both when fixing people, talking to people and toiling the land, something everybody needs to start thinking about since canned goods are not going to last their lifetime.

corpsefan
09-Nov-2011, 08:49 AM
the only issue thus far that i have with this series is occurring right now:

i think it would be awesome if the farm that they are currently on had all their pet zombies over by the barn like in the comic.im sure our hero wouldnt be so certain about wanting to stay longer at the farm if the family had a barn full of dead family and freinds. but i know its made for the general population and hasta be made on a different story plane.
still an awesome series.

Spoiler tags added by mod. Please see note on TWD related spoilers here (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?19488-I-m-really-starting-to-get-annoyed-Please-be-careful-of-posting-spoilers!).

kidgloves
09-Nov-2011, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=corpsefan;274343]the only issue thus far that i have with this series is occurring right now:

i think it would be awesome if the farm that they are currently on had all their pet zombies over by the barn like in the comic.im sure our hero wouldnt be so certain about wanting to stay longer at the farm if the family had a barn full of dead family and freinds. but i know its made for the general population and hasta be made on a different story plane.
still an awesome series.

You may well get your wish my friend.

A big clue from the last episode.

Welcome :cool:

babomb
10-Nov-2011, 01:16 AM
the only issue thus far that i have with this series is occurring right now:
still an awesome series.
Spoiler tags added by mod. Please see note on TWD related spoilers here (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?19488-I-m-really-starting-to-get-annoyed-Please-be-careful-of-posting-spoilers!).

I'll be kind of dissapointed if that doesn't turn out to be the case. They can't just continue to throw inter-personal drama around and not include some of the larger scale situations.

Alright now, what if:
Maggie intentionally told them to use the well with the zombie in it in order to infect them? For some crazy reason, like maybe Herschel feels like he's "Noah" and has his family convinced they need to repopulate the earth and purge it of the remains of it's past evils? This would explain this overwhelming religious theme going on right now, that could be why Maggie was so eager to fuck Glenn and says it's a 1 time thing , and why Herschel says something like "they won't be around here forever". Sophia could be being kept by Herschel or someone else at the farm for the same reason. Which could have something to do with the reaction Herschel had when Maggie asked what they would tell Carol if they found out Sophia had been bit. Maybe she was bitten, and she's being kept in the barn with the other dead folks? Or maybe she's being kept hidden to be used in the repopulation scheme? It would make sense with other things too. Like the bell from the church, and the way the walkers were just sitting in there, his request that all the guns be handed over, his talks with Rick. Herschel is trying to kill the adults and keep the children!! This could also explain the mysterious dead bodies in all the cars on the highway...
I'm thinking of the ways they're trying to change up the story. They're including details and other tidbits from the comics, but throwing in these extensive story arcs to keep it fresh.
They're propping up Shane to be the "anti-hero" of the group because he's the only 1 capable of dealing with the difficult decisions that will soon have to be made.

childofgilead
10-Nov-2011, 02:04 AM

*gasp* That honkey has my belt! Scandalized!

But seriously, yeah, this episode. Man..I just don't know..it wasn't horrible, but this Sophia situation has GOT to be resolved. I'd consider myself a pretty warm hearted person, but even I'm burned out on this plotline. I realize it's only a few days in the show, but it's been going on weeks now, and I'm more than ready to resolve this thing and move on.

I'm presuming we won't be seeing Wiltshire Estates in the show, as they've already passed that part by from the comics. Although, we still don't have Tyreese and his baggage, so I dunno. Mebbe they'll have him appear and he's already with Michonne, thereby avoiding the awkward love triangle with them and Carol?

As for Merle..eh..I was fine and dandy leaving him behind with only mentions of him. Now that he's coming back, I presume it'll be for a purpose. And I hope that he's taken care of permanently and not..well..given his own town to run.

babomb
10-Nov-2011, 03:39 AM
But seriously, yeah, this episode. Man..I just don't know..it wasn't horrible, but this Sophia situation has GOT to be resolved. I'd consider myself a pretty warm hearted person, but even I'm burned out on this plotline. I realize it's only a few days in the show, but it's been going on weeks now, and I'm more than ready to resolve this thing and move on. The only way the Sophia situation can be resolved at this point is if it's part of the larger picture. There's no way they can just find her, dead OR alive, just as a sidenote.

I'm presuming we won't be seeing Wiltshire Estates in the show, as they've already passed that part by from the comics. Although, we still don't have Tyreese and his baggage, so I dunno. Mebbe they'll have him appear and he's already with Michonne, thereby avoiding the awkward love triangle with them and Carol? I don't think they're concerned with including all the characters in the comics. They've said repeatedly that the series on TV is not a recreation of the comics and is meant to be enjoyed independantly from them. They've taken unexplored elements from the comics and expanded on them. In order to widen scope of the walking dead world. So anyone expecting to see all these characters could be let down.
They'll probably have Michonne in here sometime. Because that's a real fan favorite character.

Wyldwraith
10-Nov-2011, 06:39 AM
Regarding the moral implications of leaving/not leaving the farm,
In a civilized society, the "right" to be secure in your person, possessions and home is considered precious, and an ACTUAL right.
TWD-world is NOT a civilized society. Expecting the survivor-protagonists to maintain a moral ethos founded in a time where only a VERY small % of Americans ever experienced mortal danger goes beyond unfair, and right into the absurd.

People are dying slow, painfully lingering deaths in the wake of being horrifically victimized by an unreasoning attacker trying to eat them. Or, alternatively, people are dying sudden horrific deaths as they're eaten alive. In both cases, the people close to the victim(s) are forced to stand by and are in many cases reduced to helplessly looking on as the horror continues all around them. Something like a Zombie Apocalypse or other persistently comprehensive breakdown of society is profoundly different than most sorts of disasters, because unlike a massive hurricane/series of tornadoes/earthquake its not a matter of damage done, danger over. Forcing the self-preservation instinct to remain in force 95% of each day, every day for weeks/months/years would inevitably result in a moral if not psychological reversion to an atavistic state.

In such circumstances, where the attempt to assert what was a right in a stable society can result in many horrific deaths makes such an assertion immoral in its own right. Put another way: Herschel's "right" to dictate who stays and who goes from his land is essentially a decree that property rights trump the group's right to survive. It would be different if something about the group's presence was substantially increasing the danger to Herschel and his people. Given that they're predisposed to galloping around on horseback, lowering their guard in highly unsecured areas, and failing to even try to conceal the light from inside the house at night, Herschel and Co. are in more danger if the group DOES leave. At least with the extra manpower/firepower/additional pairs of eyes, the high lvl of danger created by the carelessness of the locals would be somewhat mitigated by Rick and Co.'s actions as they try to keep the farm safe for everyone.

This isn't the same as the gun argument. In that instance, the many asserting what they believed to be their right to dictate who could and could not carry a firearm immediately, substantially, and DIRECTLY increased the risk of horrible death to the 1/minority denied guns for the "good of the group." In the case of Rick and Co. remaining on Herschel's farm there is no such increase in danger to the minority whose wishes are being overruled. For this reason, I consider it not only sensible but ethical to weigh what Herschel wants vs. the consequences of heading back out on the road, and then decide which individual or group would be most harmed. From there you simply choose accordingly.

Agree? Disagree? Thoughts?

bassman
10-Nov-2011, 12:40 PM
New preview for ep 205:

PEWSHLtIESY

Ragnarr
11-Nov-2011, 06:05 AM
Not to stray off topic, but to stray off topic for a second, do you suppose that the show's title might be a double entendre; that the name might be referring to the survivors themselves instead of the zombies? Y'know, like when a convicted murderer is going to his execution and someone shouts dead man walking? Hmm...

~whelp, and so back to topic~

mpokera
11-Nov-2011, 06:17 AM
Regarding the moral implications of leaving/not leaving the farm,
In a civilized society, the "right" to be secure in your person, possessions and home is considered precious, and an ACTUAL right.
TWD-world is NOT a civilized society. Expecting the survivor-protagonists to maintain a moral ethos founded in a time where only a VERY small % of Americans ever experienced mortal danger goes beyond unfair, and right into the absurd.

People are dying slow, painfully lingering deaths in the wake of being horrifically victimized by an unreasoning attacker trying to eat them. Or, alternatively, people are dying sudden horrific deaths as they're eaten alive. In both cases, the people close to the victim(s) are forced to stand by and are in many cases reduced to helplessly looking on as the horror continues all around them. Something like a Zombie Apocalypse or other persistently comprehensive breakdown of society is profoundly different than most sorts of disasters, because unlike a massive hurricane/series of tornadoes/earthquake its not a matter of damage done, danger over. Forcing the self-preservation instinct to remain in force 95% of each day, every day for weeks/months/years would inevitably result in a moral if not psychological reversion to an atavistic state.

In such circumstances, where the attempt to assert what was a right in a stable society can result in many horrific deaths makes such an assertion immoral in its own right. Put another way: Herschel's "right" to dictate who stays and who goes from his land is essentially a decree that property rights trump the group's right to survive. It would be different if something about the group's presence was substantially increasing the danger to Herschel and his people. Given that they're predisposed to galloping around on horseback, lowering their guard in highly unsecured areas, and failing to even try to conceal the light from inside the house at night, Herschel and Co. are in more danger if the group DOES leave. At least with the extra manpower/firepower/additional pairs of eyes, the high lvl of danger created by the carelessness of the locals would be somewhat mitigated by Rick and Co.'s actions as they try to keep the farm safe for everyone.

This isn't the same as the gun argument. In that instance, the many asserting what they believed to be their right to dictate who could and could not carry a firearm immediately, substantially, and DIRECTLY increased the risk of horrible death to the 1/minority denied guns for the "good of the group." In the case of Rick and Co. remaining on Herschel's farm there is no such increase in danger to the minority whose wishes are being overruled. For this reason, I consider it not only sensible but ethical to weigh what Herschel wants vs. the consequences of heading back out on the road, and then decide which individual or group would be most harmed. From there you simply choose accordingly.

Agree? Disagree? Thoughts?

This is pretty much the same point I was making, the old rules dont apply at this point. A whole new definition of good or evil has to be made at this point. And property rights are way way down on the list. As you say, the newcomers actually aid to the safety of the farm.

bassman
11-Nov-2011, 12:04 PM
Not to stray off topic, but to stray off topic for a second, do you suppose that the show's title might be a double entendre; that the name might be referring to the survivors themselves instead of the zombies? Y'know, like when a convicted murderer is going to his execution and someone shouts dead man walking? Hmm...

Yup, you got it. Kirkman has been saying this for years. :)

Andy
11-Nov-2011, 10:33 PM
Great episode, i loved it.

As usual, alot of what i wanted to say has already been covered. The zombie in the well was a great touch i thought, nice way to add some zombie tension into a generally character driven episode.

Couple of plot points i saw coming from a mile off, which is mildly disappointing but nothing i cant live with.

All i will say is, just reading comments from all you guys, its very easy to see who reads the comics and who dosnt :p

MinionZombie
12-Nov-2011, 11:05 AM
Another week, another episode ... another 167 hours to wait until I get to see 2x05. :p

Good episode, some solid character stuff ... some thoughts:

1) I think Andrea is starting to figure out/has figured out what Shane had to do in episode 2x03 - this could prove interesting.

2) Rick had his gun back, but nothing has been said about Shane handing it back to him ... no questions have thus been asked - will this come into play in a later episode, or has it been deemed not important enough for further investigation when compared to other plot threads?

3) Go Glenn! I knew it was coming (from the comics - of which I've read up-to-and-including Volume 8 of the trade paperbacks) ... and I like how the relationship feels close to that of the comic in terms of how it has come together ... ... for lack of a better term. :sneaky:

4) Zombie in the well - how gross was that?! Perhaps one the grossest looking zombies yet - must be because of all the swelling and greasy skin ... ... and then splitting in half might have something to do with it, ha!

5) I like the small town/village/hamlet nearby with the drug store in it ... it feels a world apart from Atlanta, but nonetheless ravaged ... but seemingly in a more polite way, hehe.

6) Darryl - finally we get to see a softer side to him - I loved that scene with him and Carol. It was still typically Darryl (the beer bottle), but we saw a softer side to him (no doubt something that wasn't at all encouraged by his blood relatives). Plus it also suggests a sort of simultaneous double possibility thing ... Sophia might very well be dead, and this is Darryl's way of providing prior warning, but also comfort ... but then she might also be safe and this is some kind of sign.

7) Indeed, it seems to be setting up further plot points and laying some foundations - but that stuff needs to be done, you can't avoid it, and you shouldn't avoid it.

8) Yep, Lori's pregnant - I knew that was what Jenner whispered ... I didn't buy into the theory that they wouldn't use that plotline from the comics, but I liked how Lori got Glenn to get the test for her (and he didn't know what a True Blue was until he saw it there).

9) Oh, speaking of which - after Glenn hid the test, I loved how he accidentally had a box of rubber johnnies in his hand and then turned into a bumbling wreck when Maggie challenged/played with him, hehe - I loved that scene. :D

10) Now - Sophia - girl's still out there missing in the woods (although it seems she was hiding in that house. So hopefully we find her in episode 2x05 - it's starting to get a little bit drawn out in finding her. Even though an episode is essentially a day, it's starting to get a tad stretched ... but not ridiculously so ... but we must surely find her soon!

Now - regarding something that hasn't yet come up in the TV show, but was in Volume 2 of the trade paperbacks:
Herschel's barn - there was a slight reference to this in the show itself, albeit in a roundabout manner - with Herschel not wanting the newcomers to go wondering around ... with him saying this with the barn in the background and people relatively nearby to it ... they must be doing the 'barn full of zombies' thing sometime soon ... perhaps episode 2x06?

Finally - regarding the end-of-episode teaser for next week's episode (which, for a change, seems to have matched with what you guys saw in America - we Brits usually get a snippet of one scene, rather than a tease of an entire episode), some speculation:
I think the shambling shot of Darryl is a fake-out - he confronts Merle in the woods, they have a massive punch up, and Darryl kills his own brother ... I think this thematically ties-in with what Shane was saying to Andrea about 'taking action' and 'shutting off that part of you...' etc - plus it ties-in with what Reedus has said about Darryl in past interviews, about how the character is finding himself accepted for once in his life into a group - these people are his new family, and the scene with him and Carol further suggests that.

The fight will be a big old bust-up (thus why Darryl seemingly walks like a zombie, and has blood on his face), but I think Darryl will be the victor - even just thinking practically, Merle was only in it briefly in season one, it'd be unwise to kill of Darryl (who has become a beloved and important character) in favour of a guest star. Like I've said, Darryl killing off Merle would fit much more in terms of the overall themes of the show and episode 2x04.

kidgloves
12-Nov-2011, 07:24 PM
Huge spoiler below regarding the return of a certain character. You have been warned.

On The Talking Dead they showed a clip of Daryl falling off his horse and tumbling down a verge. Its rumoured that Merle is nothing more than a hallucination/flashback. Cock tease or what?

-- -------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Dude. You have got to check this out. Its the flashback scene from the next episode. EPIC

http://walkingdeadbr.com/sneak-peek-do-flashback-do-episodio-2x05-chupacabra/

Trencher
12-Nov-2011, 09:19 PM
I am going to skip on all spoilers Kidgloves. Looking forward to next episode.

Andy
15-Nov-2011, 02:26 PM
Watching this episode again, did i see someone in the background watching darryl in the "abandoned" house for a split second?

Sophia maybe? or meryl?

:shifty:

kidgloves
15-Nov-2011, 05:40 PM
Watching this episode again, did i see someone in the background watching darryl in the "abandoned" house for a split second?

Sophia maybe? or meryl?

:shifty:

I read this somewhere else but most people laughed at the idea. I'll have to have a look again

MinionZombie
15-Nov-2011, 06:10 PM
I read this somewhere else but most people laughed at the idea. I'll have to have a look again

Oh snap, now you've got my interest all piqued!

*runs off to have a look for himself*

Hmmm ... I didn't see anything. Which shot in particular, Andy?

Andy
15-Nov-2011, 07:31 PM
Ive watched the scene back and it could just be my imagine to be honest, i thought there was someone else in the house becuase of the way the camera angle changes. it looks like someone watching him, so i was on edge then when he leaves the house and he's shouting sophia, if you watch the curtains behind him i think one of them moves.

AcesandEights
15-Nov-2011, 08:00 PM
That was a pretty old house, maybe the ghost from the set of Three Men and a Baby moved in
http://www.horroretc.com/Horroretc.com%20images/Ghost_on_film_3%5B1%5D.jpg
:)

MinionZombie
16-Nov-2011, 09:51 AM
Ive watched the scene back and it could just be my imagine to be honest, i thought there was someone else in the house becuase of the way the camera angle changes. it looks like someone watching him, so i was on edge then when he leaves the house and he's shouting sophia, if you watch the curtains behind him i think one of them moves.

Hmmm ... methinks it's a slight breeze, mate. Still though - that scene was really quite tense.

That was a pretty old house, maybe the ghost from the set of Three Men and a Baby moved in
http://www.horroretc.com/Horroretc.com%20images/Ghost_on_film_3%5B1%5D.jpg
:)

:lol:

Creepy stuff, that - I know it was just a gag that the cast/crew pulled off, but nevertheless it's creepy.

darth los
16-Nov-2011, 04:10 PM

That's how you know this show is doing the job. When it has you on the edge of your seat for a tense couple of minutes and nothing happens. There are some legitimate critiques of this show but the one thing they have done right is the suspense. It's been a while since anything made me feel like that, movie or show.

:cool: