PDA

View Full Version : American Horror Story (TV series)

MikePizzoff
08-Nov-2011, 06:42 PM
Kinda surprised there isn't already a thread about this show. Anyone else watching this? I'm fuggin' addicted to it. About to watch the fifth episode right now, actually.

What's everyone's stance on the burned dude? Human or ghost? I say human, but have friends argue with me that he's a ghost.

AcesandEights
08-Nov-2011, 07:21 PM
So it's actually good?! I was kind of waiting to hear if anything bubbled up to the surface on this one.

kidgloves
08-Nov-2011, 07:39 PM
Been waiting on this as well but most of the feedback i've had is that its garbage:confused:

MikePizzoff
09-Nov-2011, 09:11 PM
I can see why people don't like it (IE: the ghosts are pretty much in human form) but I love it. Only one way to find out for yourself...

MissJacksonCA
17-Nov-2011, 01:40 AM
Ooo I'm madly in love with this show because it just doesn't stop effing with you. Its feels like the film equivalent to finding a genie in a bottle and wishing for something and while its granted its done so in a totally fuct up way. Its one of those shows I find I have to watch the same episodes more than once because theres so much there that you'll miss it the first time and really it just keeps getting better. The burned guy... well now that we know about the powers of the 'property' I'm saying he's a ghost but ... he's in human form again =) So excited to see it tonite...

JDFP
20-Nov-2011, 03:59 PM
I watched the first three episodes and decided to give it a rest after that. The main issue this show suffers from is that none of the characters are likeable in any way. They are all shitty people that deserve shitty fates. The husband and wife are basically scum - the sooner they die off the better.

If you have a show with no likeable characters - why bother investing time or energy in caring what happens to them? They are all vile people.

j.p.

Danny
20-Nov-2011, 04:27 PM
i gave it a fair shake and watched the first couple but hated it, went to my usual review sites and it was unanimous slamming on this. its faux 2deep4u bullshit is absolutely terrible. In that 'i like it how they make stuff up but i feel smart because its sooo deep!' kind of way. its just not a good show.

Neil
25-Nov-2011, 08:57 AM
So do I bother watching it or not then?

JDFP
25-Nov-2011, 02:54 PM
So do I bother watching it or not then?

Did you watch the new "Battlestar Galactica"? By comparison, the characters in this show make the characters in nu-BSG look like warm and friendly folks who just need a hug on a bad day. That's how vile these people are for the most part. The most sympathetic character in "American Horror" is the guy who killed his entire family.

j.p.

shootemindehead
25-Nov-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm sort of enjoying it. If that makes any sense.

But, at the moment, I'm easily pleased. We're still out of our flooded house and there's not much to do in the evenings. My entertainment is centered on TV now, unfortunately.

It's not terrible, but I don't know if I'd bother if I had other things to do to pass the time.

Mike70
25-Nov-2011, 09:22 PM
i gave it a fair shake and watched the first couple but hated it, went to my usual review sites and it was unanimous slamming on this. its faux 2deep4u bullshit is absolutely terrible. In that 'i like it how they make stuff up but i feel smart because its sooo deep!' kind of way. its just not a good show.

thank you for saving me time typing. i gave it a fair shake as well and have decided that it's not the sort of thing i enjoy.

i think this show is one of those taste things. you are either going to love it or think it's pretty much in the "meh" category.

MikePizzoff
26-Nov-2011, 12:59 AM
thank you for saving me time typing. i gave it a fair shake as well and have decided that it's not the sort of thing i enjoy.

i think this show is one of those taste things. you are either going to love it or think it's pretty much in the "meh" category.

Yep, definitely the consensus when I talked to groups of people about it. Generally half blurt out "I f*cking love that show!" while the other half groan.

The more I watch of it, the more I realize it's not something that's my usual style, so I'm not sure why I actually like it, but... I do, so whatever!

EDIT: I also really like this current season of TWD, and people whom I pretty much always agree with on shows/movies are bashing the hell out of it. So, maybe I've subconsciously come to realize that most things on TV are garbage, so I've lowered my standards.

Neil
29-Nov-2011, 06:04 PM
Watched the first episode and enjoyed it mostly... I'll give it two more to bite :)

blind2d
30-Nov-2011, 06:04 PM
I watched... the second and third episodes, I think. It's... interesting, but doesn't have me over the barrel in the same way 'Poltergeist' or 'The Amityville Horror' does.

MissJacksonCA
30-Nov-2011, 08:30 PM
You know how you (maybeeeee) think something but don't say it because you think you're a bit warped and wouldn't want people to think you're disturbing? That's what this show is... but its openly warped and disturbing. Kinnnnda like it...

You have to be at least thisssss damaged to enjoy it ;)

MikePizzoff
02-Dec-2011, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I'd say this show is seriously has the most adult situations I've ever witnessed in a show. It's ridiculous and at times I almost feel like I'm watching late night Cinemax.

I think a lot of people that don't like the show go into it wishing for more, like Miles said, Poltergeist and Amityville Horror. It's more about the characters of the ghosts, themselves, than haunting going on, I suppose. At times some characters seem like they'd fit in on Twin Peaks or something.

The burnt man is easily my favorite character. Him handling that "situation" for Hayden was pretty awesome, the way they played it out.

shootemindehead
03-Dec-2011, 04:20 PM
Yeh, I think the childish titillation is bloody silly at times and it gets really tiresome. But, it's a problem with a lot of these new "gritty" dramas that are showing up on US TV. It's very formulaic and 'American Horror Story' is falling head first into this problem.

Drama
Shock
Tits
Drama
F*cking
Tits
More tits
Drama
Cliffhamger...

...Tits

Mike70
09-Dec-2011, 01:41 AM
Yeh, I think the childish titillation is bloody silly at times and it gets really tiresome. But, it's a problem with a lot of these new "gritty" dramas that are showing up on US TV. It's very formulaic and 'American Horror Story' is falling head first into this problem.

Drama
Shock
Tits
Drama
F*cking
Tits
More tits
Drama
Cliffhamger...

...Tits

you forgot to throw in "gratitous tight asses in jeans/shorts/bikini bottoms"

that fills out the list.

Mr.G
09-Dec-2011, 01:02 PM
Come on, I like the TV show. It's not really scary but I like getting the backstory for the ghosts and how each episode starts with a flashback that adds to the series.

shootemindehead
09-Dec-2011, 02:11 PM
you forgot to throw in "gratitous tight asses in jeans/shorts/bikini bottoms"

that fills out the list.

Cheers Mike, I know I was leaving something out.

Mike70
09-Dec-2011, 03:54 PM
Cheers Mike, I know I was leaving something out.

:lol:

dammit. i just realized i spelled "gratuitous" incorrectly. i HATE when i don't catch that kind of stuff.

SymphonicX
09-Dec-2011, 04:21 PM
i'd go as far to say that Taissa Farmiga's character Violet (the daughter) is one of the best female characters in any horror based movie or TV show, pretty much ever. She's brilliant - in the first episode her character was just so ballsy, such a refreshing thing to see a female character straight away confront her bullies and start a fight with them. Literally taking no bullshit.

So many cliched little girl characters who let the world shit all over them to advance the narrative around their journey to strength - AHS hasn't gone down that route, instead providing us with a character who is just straight up awesome and doesn't take any shit. Pretty rare when you think about it.

MikePizzoff
12-Dec-2011, 12:03 PM
Yeah, Violet is pretty awesome. I hope she wises up and fucks over Tate somehow. I had a feeling that huge reveal last week was going to be what it was. My girlfriend was blown away, though.

Also, is anyone else bummed that the burnt man is gone now? He was probably my favorite character.

And like Mr.G said - I don't think this show is scary at all, but I love the plot lines that are taking place and some of the scenes of gore are pretty cool.

shootemindehead
13-Dec-2011, 04:30 PM
Yeh, the burnt guy was deadly. Some great makeup on his wife and kids in the last ep.

Publius
14-Dec-2011, 09:32 AM

Drama
Shock
Tits
Drama
F*cking
Tits
More tits
Drama
Cliffhamger...

...Tits

Unless they're airing a different version in Ireland, I think you're confusing "tits" with "male butts." ;) They warn that the show contains nudity, but that's all I've noticed so far.

Neil
14-Dec-2011, 12:43 PM
Three episodes in... Enjoying it, but can't see how it's going to last with the characters all nose diving deeper and deeper into this nightmare existance!

Mr.G
14-Dec-2011, 02:21 PM
Unless they're airing a different version in Ireland, I think you're confusing "tits" with "male butts." ;) They warn that the show contains nudity, but that's all I've noticed so far.

LOL, my response as well. How the hell was I missing all the alleged tit shots?

shootemindehead
14-Dec-2011, 02:42 PM
It was more a remark about "HBO" type tv shows in general. Not necessarily 'American Horror Story'.

It's the gratuitous sex scenes that pervade most adult US TV shows that I'm finding a bit tiresome to be honest. 'True Blood' being a prime example of this type of titillation.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the odd bit of flesh every now and then, but when it's on screen just for the sake of it, it becomes tedious.

Replace "tits" with "screwing" and you'll get the idea.

tkane18
14-Dec-2011, 06:56 PM
For some reason, I like to keep the tits and sex separate from horror.

Rottedfreak
15-Dec-2011, 10:47 AM
A heart warming scene ends the penultimate episode there's some emotional music to close and the stupid fucking wankers ADVERTISE OVER THEM!
It isn't the best horror series but I am enjoying it as it reminds me of films like Burnt Offerings and The Shining.

SymphonicX
15-Dec-2011, 03:51 PM
spoiler tags please!!!!!

UK is only up to ep 6 or 7....

Rottedfreak
03-Mar-2012, 12:07 PM
Okay it's March and I'm sure the ending has sunk in.
The family are all dead and trapped in the house forever as ghosts and It's pretty crowded to: There's the first couple who built it, Elizabeth Short, the two nurses, the twins, Hugo, Moira, Beau, Lorainne and her two daughters, Tate, the gay couple, Hayden, Travis, the four harmones and Phil the exterminator. Also Infantata which according to the wiki citing a producer, wasn't actually a ghost but a living creature that lives under the house.
Apparently the second season will take place elsewhere and the only returning character is Constance, I hope she remains a supporting peripheral character rather then a main one and might be forced to leave after what the kid did to the nanny. Perhaps the series will show that kid change hands with one surviving character and then the last season would return to the murder house.

Neil
03-Mar-2012, 07:15 PM
I was very up and down with the series. Enjoying some episodes alot, while finding others dragging on a bit...

I'm interested to see how the next season plays out...