PDA

View Full Version : Dagon (film 2001)

dracenstein
14-Nov-2011, 08:21 PM
Watched my dvd of it yesterday for first time in ages. It may be a low budget American-Spanish co-production, but I like it a lot.

It's based on the H.P. Lovecraft story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7QREJdUyf4

AcesandEights
14-Nov-2011, 08:26 PM
I have an odd place in my heart for this film. Is it bad? It could definitely be argued that it is. Is it still kind of cool? To me it is.

Lovecraft transfers to film are always tricky, so I take certain things with a grain of salt, and to me this film is decent late night fun.

Eyebiter
14-Nov-2011, 09:59 PM
Saw this on Scifi Channel years ago, wasn't too bad for a B movie.

Badmovies.org review of Dagon
http://www.badmovies.org/movies/dagon/

krakenslayer
14-Nov-2011, 10:59 PM
I always enjoy Stuart Gordon's Lovecraft adaptations, and this was no exception, but I seem to recall the ending to this one was a stinker.

shootemindehead
15-Nov-2011, 09:56 AM
Lovecraft has never transferred to film properly, as film makers haven't had the balls to set it in the correct time frame. Lovecraft belongs in the 20's. It isn't a "whateverdecadeyouwant" concept, even though the mythos could technically be set at any time as Cthulhu etc are ageless.

His stories are populated by 1920's people and the atmosphere that creates is essential to the enjoyment.

There were rumors of a version of 'At the Mountains of Madness' a while ago, but I think it went belly up.

Eyebiter
15-Nov-2011, 12:40 PM
At the Mountains of Madness was canceled because Universal Studios was afraid of making another King Kong - where they spent a ton of money and it took a long time to get back their investment. Guillermo del Toro is still trying to find money to make the movie.

Mike70
15-Nov-2011, 02:36 PM
His stories are populated by 1920's people and the atmosphere that creates is essential to the enjoyment.

i would look up the sound of trumpets on youtube and post it but i'm too fucking lazy. i think you've hit on a great point here: the atmosphere that lovecraft creates in his stories is tied to a specific period in time. so reading a lovecraft story and having that imagery in your head lessens the impact of a movie set in modern times - to me at least.

the night gallery versions of "pickman's model" and "cool air" are set in the right time period.

i've been a lifelong reader/fan of Lovecraft. his stuff should be read not seen on a screen. i would greatly prefer that there are no more attempts to film his work (won't happen of course) because even stuart gordon's movies aren't very good representations. just look at "re-animator" for that...

yeah - "re-animator" might be a great horror flick but as lovecraft, it is a pile of shit. just read the short story "herbert west: re-animator" and all will be clear.

krakenslayer
16-Nov-2011, 09:35 AM
Plus, it's not really Lovecraft if no one uses the word "negro", amirite? :p

wayzim
16-Nov-2011, 11:22 AM
Lovecraft has never transferred to film properly, as film makers haven't had the balls to set it in the correct time frame. Lovecraft belongs in the 20's. It isn't a "whateverdecadeyouwant" concept, even though the mythos could technically be set at any time as Cthulhu etc are ageless.

There were rumors of a version of 'At the Mountains of Madness' a while ago, but I think it went belly up.

Oh for shame, The indie adaption of Call of Cthulhu (2005 ) is a fun retro romp (done as a B&W silent from the 20'S ) loyal to all thing's Lovecraft and is still a favorite of mine. The good people of HPLHS who brought us this little gem also did a sound version of Whisperer In The Dark, though I haven't seen that one yet.

Wayne Z

shootemindehead
16-Nov-2011, 11:45 AM
i would look up the sound of trumpets on youtube and post it but i'm too fucking lazy. i think you've hit on a great point here: the atmosphere that lovecraft creates in his stories is tied to a specific period in time. so reading a lovecraft story and having that imagery in your head lessens the impact of a movie set in modern times - to me at least.

the night gallery versions of "pickman's model" and "cool air" are set in the right time period.

i've been a lifelong reader/fan of Lovecraft. his stuff should be read not seen on a screen. i would greatly prefer that there are no more attempts to film his work (won't happen of course) because even stuart gordon's movies aren't very good representations. just look at "re-animator" for that...

yeah - "re-animator" might be a great horror flick but as lovecraft, it is a pile of shit. just read the short story "herbert west: re-animator" and all will be clear.

I liked 'Reanimator' and 'From Beyond' as a kid, but to me now they are almost unwatchable.

Lovecraft's characters are usually effete Anglophiles, with bookish tendencies. They have a loner existence too (much like the author himself), which allows his stories to focus on the character's reaction to the mythos events unfolding around them...and it quite often drives them insane.

It doesn't really transfer that well to an onscreen character for a mass appeal movie.

I used to love his stories as well, but again today, I find them tough going. His prose is terrible, even for a writer of the era. It's full of unnecessary flowery language and at times it can kill the momentum stone dead. With that said, he has some terrific stories to go through and once the reader delves into the surrounding mythos, they stitch together very nicely. There was a mythos timeline floating around the web a few years ago which tied up the events in his stories.

I think 'At the Mountains of Madness' would have made a great film (There's a lot of 'The Thing' going on in it). So, it's a pity that Universal chickened out.

If the Night Gallery has stuck to the original timeframe, then it's all the more reason to check them out.

-- -------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Oh for shame, The indie adaption of Call of Cthulhu (2005 ) is a fun retro romp (done as a B&W silent from the 20'S ) loyal to all thing's Lovecraft and is still a favorite of mine. The good people of HPLHS who brought us this little gem also did a sound version of Whisperer In The Dark, though I haven't seen that one yet.

Wayne Z

Yep, seen it and the "HP Lovecraft Historical Society" have been one of the few producers to have got the game right. There was a low budget 'Cool Air' too, from recent times that tried to "get it right" too, but the lack of funds killed them in the end.

But, I'm talking about larger budget film makers attempts, none of which have even approached the required level.

Haven't seen 'Whisperer in the Dark' either.

MissJacksonCA
17-Nov-2011, 01:35 AM
I love Dagon... its one of those movies where if I see it on I'll DVR it and save it for a couple month to watch. It may be a lil low budget but it doesn't have that cheap low budget = bad acting and crap movie feel...

Eyebiter
17-Nov-2011, 11:46 PM
One movie I'd like to see made is Robert E. Howard's Skullface. Article detailing how this novel ties into the Cthulhu mythos http://www.thecimmerian.com/the-call-of-kathulos-secret-oceans-and-black-seas-of-infinity/