PDA

View Full Version : Contains Spoilers! Actor cast as famous comic character?**comic related spoilers within**

bassman
12-Dec-2011, 12:15 PM
**Comic and possible future episode spoilers below!!!**

I'm not sure how legit this source (http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/s135/the-walking-dead/news/a355561/true-blood-rutina-wesley-to-play-michonne-on-the-walking-dead.html) is, but they say they know who has been cast as Michonne and that she'll appear as the ending of the second season finale.

True Blood star Rutina Wesley has joined the cast of The Walking Dead, a report suggests.

She will play the character of Michonne in the zombie drama's second season finale, according to Hollywood Hills.

A fan favorite from the original Walking Dead comic, Michonne has a mysterious past and fights off flesh-eating walkers with a katana.

Wesley is best known for playing Tara on True Blood and will next be seen in Ridley Scott's sci-fi blockbuster Prometheus.

http://i2.cdnds.net/10/18/M/tv_true_blood_rutina_wesley_02.jpg

She's certainly got the look, imo.

This would also jive with recent reports from an extra that played one of Michonne's "pets".

Thorn
12-Dec-2011, 01:44 PM
Just in case the above is put in spoiler tags eventually...

She does, I am not sure if she has the range though, I mean Tara always stood out to me as a bad actress on the show True Blood and while I enjoyed her character I did not enjoy the portrayal. Now, that said that show is all about over the top so maybe she was just hamming it up and going for camp?

She does have a great look for the character though.

bassman
12-Dec-2011, 02:04 PM
Just in case the above is put in spoiler tags eventually...

The thread is marked as a spoiler, but you're right. People are touchy about that kinda stuff. I put it all in spoiler tags.

I haven't seen this actor as I really dislike True Blood, but if she's in a Ridley Scott film that's got to mean she has some kind of an acting ability, right? Maybe not the best in the world, but it certainly can't be any worse than Jon Bernthal's(Shane) acting.

Thorn
12-Dec-2011, 02:08 PM
The thread is marked as a spoiler, but you're right. People are touchy about that kinda stuff. I put it all in spoiler tags.

I haven't seen this actor as I really dislike True Blood, but if she's in a Ridley Scott film that's got to mean she has some kind of an acting ability, right? Maybe not the best in the world, but it certainly can't be any worse than Jon Bernthal's(Shane) acting.

Agreed!

;)

She is pretty bad IMO, but you know how opinions run.

Here is a presentation of her "good" moments to be fair...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVuMp7z5c_o

krisvds
12-Dec-2011, 02:45 PM
@ bassman: Yeah, True blood is really bad. Twilight for adults, Melrose Place with vampires, ... Never understood its popularity.
As for that character: it will be a challenge to NOT have it turn out 'camp' because that is some serious over the top geekbait in the comics! It does work on the page, but on tv?
I thought Daryl was already pushing it ...

Thorn
12-Dec-2011, 05:23 PM
Totally agree with Kris, I too am worried about how over the top some characters might be... Mich being one and the Governor being the other, I was never a major fan of either in the comics I was always more of a Rick and Andrea guy. After them Glenn I would say at least in the early going.

I always thought Rick and Andrea should hook up and they got close that one time, but it never went anywhere.

shootemindehead
12-Dec-2011, 06:47 PM
Oh no.

I always though Michone was shite, until later in the comic. The psudeo martial arts crap was too nerd tastic for me.

Thorn
12-Dec-2011, 07:19 PM
Oh no.

I always though Michone was shite, until later in the comic. The psudeo martial arts crap was too nerd tastic for me.

Very much agreed, and just way over the top. How do I want to say it... the rest of the comic despite taking place in the Zombie Apocalypse all feels real to me. If I want over the top vigilantes or super heroes villains I can read the Punisher or something of that nature.

So when I see the two characters in question, I generally just kind of "meh'.

bassman
12-Dec-2011, 07:36 PM
But what was really THAT over the top? Just that she's good with Katana swords and is generally quiet at the start, giving the appearance of a badass? Not to mention anything about her character can be changed for the television series. It doesn't have to be an exact translation.

Daryl was also a bit of the stereotypical badass but has since evolved and become a favorite among fans. Just like Michonne is sure to evolve like she did in the comics.

Sammich
12-Dec-2011, 09:41 PM
The character she plays in True Blood was emotionally screwed up from the begining, then was the subject of real bad traumatic events one after another. I don't think there is much else she could have done acting wise because it seemed that the writers wanted the character to be a constant paranoid bi-polar wreck.

ProfessorChaos
12-Dec-2011, 10:32 PM
i'm not familiar with the actress nor have i ever watched the show true blood, but dear god, i hope she doesn't have that severe of a twang to her voice if she appears on TWD. that's almost like nails on a chalkboard.

Sammich
13-Dec-2011, 02:34 AM
i'm not familiar with the actress nor have i ever watched the show true blood, but dear god, i hope she doesn't have that severe of a twang to her voice if she appears on TWD. that's almost like nails on a chalkboard.

Here is what she sounds like without the fake accent:

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1771045145/

Thorn
13-Dec-2011, 05:35 AM
But what was really THAT over the top? Just that she's good with Katana swords and is generally quiet at the start, giving the appearance of a badass? Not to mention anything about her character can be changed for the television series. It doesn't have to be an exact translation.

Daryl was also a bit of the stereotypical badass but has since evolved and become a favorite among fans. Just like Michonne is sure to evolve like she did in the comics.

Agreed, he is a bit over the top too and very much Rambo-esque. So if we add in a ...

female black American-ninja who is also virtually untouchable (but also with mental issues),

...then throw in Andrea who is a dead eye marksman and you don't have a believable zombie drama anymore, you have a super hero team. Complete with Captain America leading the charge. We just need to give Rick a shield.

To me she was just over the top in her portrayal, much like a certain someone else who was left for dead in a room full of walkers once but came out alive...

I guess I am just afraid if it gets too cartoonish people will tune out.

Sammich
15-Dec-2011, 09:06 PM
TWD characters are much more believable than "reality" shows filled with fabricated personalities following scripted storylines seemingly written by 13 year olds.

krisvds
16-Dec-2011, 05:22 AM
TWD characters are much more believable than "reality" shows filled with fabricated personalities following scripted storylines seemingly written by 13 year olds.

Ha! Even the zombies have more life to them.

sandrock74
16-Dec-2011, 06:19 AM
Ha! Even the zombies have more life to them.

*rimshot* :)

Thorn
16-Dec-2011, 12:35 PM

You sir will never find me defending reality TV... ever. It is a blight, and responsible in my opinion for the slow death of quality television (coupled with over saturation). There are maybe 4 shows I find worth watching on TV and that is being generous.

Sammich
16-Dec-2011, 10:53 PM
I think the only other shows I watch besides TWD is Bizarre Foods and the Anthony Bourdain stuff. I used to watch food network, but then it too became infected with "reality" shows. I was really happy when food channel started but now it is falling into the same trap of making the host the center of importance instead of the food.

Oh ya, and I watch Dr Phil show every day and am learning how to hook up with nice chicks and thngs to do that keeps them from getting mad.

Thorn
17-Dec-2011, 03:21 PM
I think the only other shows I watch besides TWD is Bizarre Foods and the Anthony Bourdain stuff. I used to watch food network, but then it too became infected with "reality" shows. I was really happy when food channel started but now it is falling into the same trap of making the host the center of importance instead of the food.

Oh ya, and I watch Dr Phil show every day and am learning how to hook up with nice chicks and thngs to do that keeps them from getting mad.

I have never watched Dr. Phil, or Opera... I watched crap like Tosh.0, and the Knicks... other than that The Walking Dead and shows that are a cut above the rest are about all I watch. I imagien there is value to anything, and we all have our own tastes.

krisvds
17-Dec-2011, 04:35 PM
America is producing some very good tv series these last years. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos , Deadwood, ... quality stuff.
Though my favourite, by far, was The Wire. Man, that show was brilliant. Just imagine; that level of quality writing in a genre/horror show. One can dream.

childofgilead
17-Dec-2011, 10:58 PM
Deadwood was the best series in the history of ever and the fact that we'll never get a fourth season is proof of God's general disdain.

Cykotic
20-Dec-2011, 06:31 PM
I love True Blood and I love the Walking Dead... when I first heard this news, the True Blood fanboy side of me started jumping around... problem is, I don't think she can pull this off.... we'll see though.

bassman
20-Dec-2011, 07:04 PM
I see that the actress' representatives have since denied that she's been cast in the part. Could be a smoke screen, but they did make the statement that she's not involved with TWD.