PDA

View Full Version : TWD Amazing Arizon Comic Con Panel 2012

bassman
13-Jan-2012, 06:47 PM
I found this to be an interesting watch...

x5HUkr6AeKM

If you don't want to watch the whole thing, here are some tidbits I found interesting. I don't really consider them as such, but i'll go ahead and say some of these could be considered minor comic spoilers....

- Robert Kirkman is the main writer changing the story from the comics. If the other writers would let him, he would kill of Rick just because it's different.:lol:

- Kirkman says AMC is still being very respectful of the writers' ideas and aren't trying to control too much.

- Although never named, the neighborhood that Shane and Andrea go to in the tv series is in fact Wilshire Estates. I'm kinda bummed with this one as I was hoping it would be a larger plot point later in the story, but there you have it. A 10 minute scene in a neighborhood stood in for Wilshire Estates.

- As everyone should know at this point, they're TRYING to make the tv series different enough from the comics so the viewer can enjoy both. They were never trying to do a straight adaptation. As mentioned before, Kirkman is the real cheerleader for changing things up.

- Kirkman finds it funny that so many zombie movies end with the remaining characters taking off in a helicopter and would like to write a fan fiction where five helicopters come in at once and it's the characters from Dawn/Day/etc. :lol:

- Just like the comics, Kirkman has zero interest in how it all started. That's not the story of TWD.

- Chandler Riggs lets it slip that Sophia was killed off because the actress hit puberty and grew seven inches in the off season. You can tell this makes Kirkman uneasy and he tries to cover it. The host of the panel then says, "hey Chandler....don't get tall!"

- The "Carl: Badass kid from the comics" is coming. Soon apparently.

- The Governor will appear in the show, however....Michael Rooker is NOT the Governor. STOP WITH THE RUMORS ALREADY.

- Glen Mazzarra was a smooth transition when Darabont left....

- The Blue Meth in Merle's bag was indeed an intentional reference to Breaking Bad. It was Darabont's idea.

- Nicotero directs the eleventh episode of Season Two.

- They plan to have the Jones' appear again....at some point...

- Everybody involved with the show thinks the prison is "cool" and an essential part of TWD. Take that for what you will...

- Chandler Riggs' father was Bill Murray's double in Zombieland. You see him get out of bed and walk down the hall.

kidgloves
13-Jan-2012, 08:40 PM
Thanks as always Bass

krisvds
14-Jan-2012, 06:05 AM
Good job Bassman.
On the Willshire estates; that's a real shame! That part of the comic would have made a cool episode, a 60 minute pilot even, where the director could have fleshed out the comic to a slow burn, suspense filled episode culminating in a classic 'under siege' NOTLd situation. Now it was just a shoot out...

On Kirkman's will to change the comic as much as he can (killing of rick,...): Yeah, that sits really well with Darabont's assurance they wouldn't do that too much, just branch out but still follow 'the breadcrumbs Kirkman left us.' (you can see this quote on the TWD extras) ??? We will never know the whole truth behind Darabon'ts departure but from the sound of this i get the feeling Kirkman doesn't mind that much.

MinionZombie
14-Jan-2012, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the link Bassman - I've download it for later so I can chew over it in-full. :)

bassman
14-Jan-2012, 12:35 PM
On Kirkman's will to change the comic as much as he can (killing of rick,...): Yeah, that sits really well with Darabont's assurance they wouldn't do that too much, just branch out but still follow 'the breadcrumbs Kirkman left us.' (you can see this quote on the TWD extras) ??? We will never know the whole truth behind Darabon'ts departure but from the sound of this i get the feeling Kirkman doesn't mind that much.

Well Kirkman is of course kidding when he says he would like to kill off Rick. He also mentions that they will follow the basic plot, he just wants to keep viewers and readers of the comics on their toes. Also, he says his life and opinions have changed so much since he first started the comic that he sees things differently. For instance, he regrets what happens to Shane so early in the comics because it was a wasted opportunity and of course they've now changed that for the show.

As you see in the video, he says they will continue to follow the story of the comics while making changes for the show. He mentions that Carl getting shot by Otis was taken exactly from the comics, just everything leading up to that event was changed so that readers wouldn't necessarily see it coming.

Personally....i'm thankful for these kinds of changes. I wouldn't want to see the exact same story from the comics portrayed on screen. It's more interesting to have twists, yet still following that awesome path already established with the comics.

MinionZombie
14-Jan-2012, 04:42 PM
Personally....i'm thankful for these kinds of changes. I wouldn't want to see the exact same story from the comics portrayed on screen. It's more interesting to have twists, yet still following that awesome path already established with the comics.

Totally agreed with you there, dude.

krisvds
14-Jan-2012, 05:00 PM
aaah. context changes everything. Just saw the footage and read something different in your summary than what is actually implied.
Phew. And yes, I would be very disappointed in a by the numbers, exact copy of the comics...
That doesn't mean it's all been good so far though. It's still very much a watered down version of the comics IMO. I always felt the comics were way more grim. There was more dread.
Keeping Shane alive is interesting in that his slow descent into inevitable madness is quite enjoyable to see. The love triangle on the other hand, especially the way it is written. Pfffff.