PDA

View Full Version : Underated horror movies

daz of the dead
14-Jan-2012, 05:41 PM
hey guys this thread is for people to talk about and reccomend what they feel are underated horror movies, cant wait to hear your opinions anyway here are some of mine,
1.the exorcism of emily rose (brilliant, scary and tense)
2.the mothman prophecies ( very well made and creepy)
3.the signal (brutal, funny and shocking)

i know there's only 3 but these are 3 strong movies i recommend, any thoughs

Tricia Martin
14-Jan-2012, 05:51 PM
Hmmm...Let's see.
1. In Bad Taste (low-brow, disgusting, and hilarious all at once. A classic in my mind)
2. Tucker and Dale vs Evil (newer but not many have seen it- f*cking great!)
3. Parents (1989-w/Randy Quaid of all people! hahaa!)
I may think of more...I'm at work and have to go for a minute though...hahaa!

Danny
14-Jan-2012, 05:56 PM
i LOVE mothman prophecies, the cinematography and soundtrack is superb.

off the top of my head:

The Others starring nichole kidman, old timey english manor home is haunted or something i cant spoil very good watch.
the last exorcism, starts like a cheesy POV documentary and ends cheesy but has so many twists that you cannot predict the ending, its just a goddamn maze.
the american remake of the grudge. most people wrote this off from faux film snobbery because its an american remake, what most dont know is its the same writer and director as the origional ju-on, he jumped at the chance to retell it with more funding and with ideas on how to overcome the flaws and you get a far more tightly paced flick that in many ways outdoes the original. not extremely, but enough to make it worth watching in its own right as more than a cash in.

daz of the dead
14-Jan-2012, 06:05 PM
i loved the remake of the grudge that shit was f*cked up, and yeah the last exorcism was cool but i expected more

-- -------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

i do wanna see tucker and dale vs evil

Tricia Martin
14-Jan-2012, 06:11 PM
i loved the remake of the grudge that shit was f*cked up, and yeah the last exorcism was cool but i expected more

-- -------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

i do wanna see tucker and dale vs evil

Tucker and Dale are on Netflix streaming...if you have Netflix, I highly suggest it! I didn't stop laughing the whole way through! THEN when it was over I re-watched the trailer...it made it even funnier...hahaa! I never re-watch trailers but this case was different.

daz of the dead
14-Jan-2012, 06:12 PM
lol ill deffo watch it

fulci fan
14-Jan-2012, 09:36 PM
Jeepers Creepers

Sammich
15-Jan-2012, 01:46 AM
I find that foreign made horror is not only higher quality is composed of ORIGINAL material, unlike the crappy remakes and sequels being pumped out of Hollywood.

Here are a few that come to mind:

I Saw the Devil (Korea)
Martyrs (France)
Mum and Dad (England)
Irreversible (France)
Srpski Film (Serbia)
Inside (France)
Silk (Taiwan)
Prayer Beads -horror anthology series (Japan)

daz of the dead
15-Jan-2012, 11:40 AM
i agree fully there fulci fan i cant believe jeepers creepers slipped my list, great film although the sequal was terrible

Philly_SWAT
16-Jan-2012, 02:54 AM
I think that it is much more than a "horror" movie, but that would be the easiest way to categorize it (and that it how it is in fact categorized) and that movie would be
"Triangle". I am shocked that it doesnt have a higher rating on imdb, but I give it my strongest recommendation.

And although it is not a zombie film at all, I rank "Triangle" as my second favorite movie of all time, behind GAR's Dawn of the Dead.

MikePizzoff
16-Jan-2012, 02:04 PM
A couple have been said, but I'll back them up:

-Parents
-Triangle
-Session 9
-The Gate
-House
-Bloody Birthday
-Brainscan
-Right At Your Door
-Witchboard

There are more but I'm too tired to think of them.

bassman
16-Jan-2012, 02:55 PM
Is Tucker and Dale VS Evil a horror film? It seems more like a comedy to me. Although I'll agree that it's great regardless of the genre....

I'm not a huge horror fan, but Night of the Creeps and The Omega Man come to mind. NOC is cheesy as all hell, but it's fun and has some creepy moments. I mention TOM because I often bring it up while people are discussing Will Smith's I Am Legend and they have no idea that the story has been filmed before. Three times, actually. Heston's is the best, imo.

If we were recommending films outside of this forum, Day and Dawn are at the top of my list. It never ceases to amaze me how many people know about Night and the Dawn remake, but have no idea the original Dawn and Day even exist. I've learned to accept Dawn04 over the years, but I still can't understand how everyone knows that movie, yet have no idea it's a remake of a far superior film.

EvilNed
16-Jan-2012, 03:51 PM
The Parent Trap. It's scary as shit at first when you realize Lindsay Lohan's in it, but the director knows that card's been played before and throws in another Lindsay Lohan!

Purge
16-Jan-2012, 06:35 PM
Superstition.

mjgLFtzKxCE

Eyebiter
17-Jan-2012, 01:39 AM
Ghost Story (1981)

9hko5v3mels

rongravy
17-Jan-2012, 04:40 AM
I think that it is much more than a "horror" movie, but that would be the easiest way to categorize it (and that it how it is in fact categorized) and that movie would be
"Triangle". I am shocked that it doesnt have a higher rating on imdb, but I give it my strongest recommendation.

And although it is not a zombie film at all, I rank "Triangle" as my second favorite movie of all time, behind GAR's Dawn of the Dead.
Really? I haven't seen it, but I saw it was on one of the Showtime channels. I figured that it probably sucked, but I'll give 'er...

I'm not a huge horror fan, but Night of the Creeps and The Omega Man come to mind. NOC is cheesy as all hell, but it's fun and has some creepy moments. I mention TOM because I often bring it up while people are discussing Will Smith's I Am Legend and they have no idea that the story has been filmed before. Three times, actually. Heston's is the best, imo.

About time someone else gives NOTC some love. I've been pushing it for eons, with not many takers. And heck yeah, Omega Man.
Will Smith can suck it.

MikePizzoff
17-Jan-2012, 09:09 AM
Superstition.

mjgLFtzKxCE

Right on. I should have remembered to include this. Finally got this on DVD a few months back. The price on this movie is actually down right now, for whatever reason, so you all should jump on it!

I'd like to add Stir Of Echoes to my list, as well.

DjfunkmasterG
17-Jan-2012, 11:08 AM
What about HOUSE (1986)

Fright Night (1985)

The People Under The Stairs (1992)

Eyebiter
17-Jan-2012, 10:05 PM
The Car (1977)

TFWea3Eu97E

Duel (1971)

5MtAMc4i8OA

Mike70
18-Jan-2012, 04:35 PM
the Gorgon. Hammer flick from 1964. cushing, lee, etc. it is a bit creaky by today's standards but still great.

Burnt Offerings from 1976. an oliver reed haunted house flick.

Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter. one of the last Hammer flicks. if you haven't seen this one, do us all a favor and throw yourself from a bridge.

Vampire. a 1979 movie starring jason miller, richard lynch and E.G. Marshall. hard to find but worth the search.

-- -------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

About time someone else gives NOTC some love. I've been pushing it for eons, with not many takers. And heck yeah, Omega Man.
Will Smith can suck it.

Night of the Creeps is an awesome movie. cheesy? yes. buried deep in 80s idiocy? yes. but it is still a fun movie. the haters can suck a dick on this one.

krisvds
18-Jan-2012, 04:51 PM
Night of the creeps isn't underated. Everyone who loves the genre holds it in high esteem. As they should.
Other Hammer goodness: the devil rides out and the plague of the zombies.

LouCipherr
18-Jan-2012, 07:30 PM
What about HOUSE (1986)

The People Under The Stairs (1992)

Deej - I believe the title of the thread mentioned "horror" movies, not "unintentional comedies" :lol::lol:

I will, however, have to give kudos to ya for Fright Night. ;)

Night of the Creeps is an awesome movie. cheesy? yes. buried deep in 80s idiocy? yes. but it is still a fun movie. the haters can suck a dick on this one.

^ This.

bassman
18-Jan-2012, 07:54 PM
I too thought The People Under The Stairs was ridiculous in the worst of ways. My wife loves it and recently made me sit down to watch it for the second time since it's release.....yup.....still awful.

shootemindehead
18-Jan-2012, 10:57 PM
'Horror Express' (1972)

'Creep' (2004)

MikePizzoff
19-Jan-2012, 07:36 AM
Deej - I believe the title of the thread mentioned "horror" movies, not "unintentional comedies" :lol::lol:

I will, however, have to give kudos to ya for Fright Night. ;)

No offense, but if you knock House you're not a true horror fan! All of the comedy in it was completely intentional, too. C'mon!

LouCipherr
19-Jan-2012, 01:25 PM
No offense, but if you knock House you're not a true horror fan! All of the comedy in it was completely intentional, too. C'mon!

There was no knock of House whatsoever - I love that movie! And while I realize the comedy was indeed intentional, who can resist the temptation to poke Dj with a stick? Certainly not I. :lol: :p

daz of the dead
19-Jan-2012, 05:27 PM
having watched 'city of the living dead' last night im gonna add it to my list, because i hear alot of negativity, but i thought it was a very well shot and made horror movie, and i now cannot wait to see 'the beyond'

Mike70
19-Jan-2012, 07:53 PM
'Horror Express' (1972)

peter cushing's character (very indignantly): "one of us the monster?! We're British, you know."

Purge
19-Jan-2012, 08:12 PM
having watched 'city of the living dead' last night im gonna add it to my list, because i hear alot of negativity, but i thought it was a very well shot and made horror movie, and i now cannot wait to see 'the beyond'

City... had little plot but great gore and a good soundtrack (pretty much the case for all of Fulci's films). The Beyond is his best. See Zombie if you haven't already, too.

shootemindehead
20-Jan-2012, 01:47 PM
peter cushing's character (very indignantly): "one of us the monster?! We're British, you know."

My favorite line in the whole show. Peter Cushing, Chris Lee and Tele Savalas....you can't beat that.

Tricia Martin
20-Jan-2012, 02:04 PM
Is Tucker and Dale VS Evil a horror film? It seems more like a comedy to me. Although I'll agree that it's great regardless of the genre....

Hi there! Tucker and Dale is definitely a comedy. But I guess some would consider it horror just because of the gore. A dark comedy I suppose is more appropriate. It's kind of a spoof movie, but not like Scream or Scary Movie. The reason I say it's not a complete spoof is because they pay homage to so many great movies, while at the same time making fun of the spoof movies. I dunno'. I guess it depends on the mindset you have going in. Even people who don't like horror would most likely laugh at some of the dialogue and scenes. The actors make a great duo and play very well off of one another.

Oh- Also- I wanted to explain my absence- I have a pinched nerve..wheeee! Not supposed to sit (like i'm doing now) So I've had to lay flat for the past however many days. If I could MacGyver myself a laptop mount to dangle above me, I would...hahaa! Anyway- I'm feeling better, and actually have a few more movies to add to my list here, as that's all I've been doing- watching movies...hahaa! Talk to you guys soon!

rongravy
20-Jan-2012, 02:18 PM
I just rewatched House for the first time in a very long time, probably since at least the late 80's. Loved it back then, and still do. Was racking my brain on his hot neighbor chick who used his pool and made him babysit her kid...
She was in a couple Adam Ant videos back in the day. I was like, "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."
Thanks to Wiki for coming back, lol.

daz of the dead
27-Jan-2012, 08:38 PM
dead birds