PDA

View Full Version : Contains Spoilers! Who will play the g*****?

krisvds
30-Jan-2012, 06:23 PM
Who will play the governor?

Interesting article right here

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JakeLester/news/?a=53607

I say Savini!

That Merle will turn into the governor speculation can probably stop now?

bassman
30-Jan-2012, 06:53 PM
I don't buy it. Unless they've moved the character's introduction for the tv series, I don't buy that they're already considering who could play him. I don't mind the show changing small things from the comics, but the prison and Governor story arc is one thing that shouldn't be changed.

IMO, this is all just internet rumor and fanboy wishlists.

That Merle will turn into the governor speculation can probably stop now?

That crap should've stopped a long time ago. Kirkman and Darabont have both flat-out stated that he wouldn't be the Governor and people still go on about it. Besides, knowing the Governor's back story defeats the entire purpose of the character!

Anyway....if we're going to start picking actors by appearance, I say Ian McShane ftw....
http://www.boomtron.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/ian-mcshane.jpg

Sammich
30-Jan-2012, 07:58 PM
Ian McShane would be a very good choice IF the show strings weren't being pulled by MBA suits. Realistically, they will go in a "different direction" and choose a young up and comming actor as that is what they believe will bring in more advertising dollars.

bassman
30-Jan-2012, 08:13 PM
Ian McShane would be a very good choice IF the show strings weren't being pulled by MBA suits. Realistically, they will go in a "different direction" and choose a young up and comming actor as that is what they believe will bring in more advertising dollars.

You have almost the same response for every TWD thread you post in. I understand if you don't like what happened between AMC and Darabont, but you should really try to see what the network has done in the past rather than labeling it as an evil corporation that will only do wrong. AMC has the best programming of any network right now. Often taking huge risks and thinking outside of the box. They've set the bar for quality television and should really be given an honest shake considering their stellar track record.

Sammich
30-Jan-2012, 08:52 PM
Please show where I said AMC was "an evil corporation that will only do wrong". You can't because I never did. Everything else you said about AMC was YOUR OPINION.

My post was about the show and you have chosen to turn it into a personal attack.

bassman
30-Jan-2012, 09:03 PM
Please show where I said AMC was "an evil corporation that will only do wrong". You can't because I never did. Everything else you said about AMC was YOUR OPINION.

My post was about the show and you have chosen to turn it into a personal attack.

:confused: What exactly was a personal attack??

I've just noticed that you've mentioned on several occasions that AMC will go for the latest trend and make poor choices like most other networks for the quick buck, but I think that's not entirely true. And yeah....that is my opinion. But i'm also willing to bet that you will find many, many more people that share that opinion. The network has created multiple shows that are received as some of the best on television. Both critically and commercially. They did so by taking risky chances and making choices that are pretty far from the usual "suit" decisions you allude to.

There's nothing personal about it. I'm just discussing the show and it's network. AMC is a rare breed on television and it's past proves that. :)

AcesandEights
30-Jan-2012, 11:12 PM
Anyway....if we're going to start picking actors by appearance, I say Ian McShane ftw....
http://www.boomtron.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/ian-mcshane.jpg

Damn...that's a sweet pick, Bass.

rongravy
30-Jan-2012, 11:36 PM
John Hawkes sounds pretty good. But then again, I don't know much about the Governor.
Just not Savini...
He'd probably have to break out the old crotch gun...

Thorn
06-Feb-2012, 12:35 PM
:confused: What exactly was a personal attack??

I've just noticed that you've mentioned on several occasions that AMC will go for the latest trend and make poor choices like most other networks for the quick buck, but I think that's not entirely true. And yeah....that is my opinion. But i'm also willing to bet that you will find many, many more people that share that opinion. The network has created multiple shows that are received as some of the best on television. Both critically and commercially. They did so by taking risky chances and making choices that are pretty far from the usual "suit" decisions you allude to.

There's nothing personal about it. I'm just discussing the show and it's network. AMC is a rare breed on television and it's past proves that. :)

No question about it AMC takes major chances, and pushes boundaries. They sink major dollars into projects that may or may not make it, and do so while taping and featuring non-established actors. Directors, well they invest a ton of money into people to head up these questionable projects and more often than not this has lead to them hitting gold.

AMC is ANYTHING but the "industry norm" when it comes to television, I am sorry but Bass is balls on accurate here.

bassman
06-Feb-2012, 04:48 PM
Hawkes' representatives have released a statement saying that he is in no way associated with TWD. Looks like Savini was mistaken or just using it as an opportunity to throw his own name into the hat. Personally, I don't think Savini would make a good choice. His acting has never been too great and it doesn't seem like a good fit for TWD world already established.

Then again, Kirkman is a big fan and Nicotero is friends with him, so it's certainly possible...

Thorn
06-Feb-2012, 04:50 PM
Hawkes' representatives have released a statement saying that he is in no way associated with TWD. Looks like Savini was mistaken or just using it as an opportunity to throw his own name into the hat. Personally, I don't think Savini would make a good choice. His acting has never been too great and it doesn't seem like a good fit for TWD world already established.

Then again, Kirkman is a big fan and Nicotero is friends with him, so it's certainly possible...

Tom is not an amazing actor, he is a name in the genre and a presence but if we need a guy who can emote and really pull off this part I do not think he is the best choice.

krisvds
06-Feb-2012, 04:59 PM
Now Savini may not be the best actor around BUT he is part of the family; c'mon, the guy was in the original Dawn AND directed the terrifiv Night remake... I would welcome him.
And it's not as if the governor is a complex character or anything. More a 2D comic book 'bad guy'. He might do it right. He seems genuinely passionate about the world of the undead.

That being said, characters like the governor and Michone work fine in a comic book context, but in the TV-version... I hope they handle it well and give them some more depth. If they do that, then yeah, Savini might not be their best choice. We'll see.

kidgloves
06-Feb-2012, 05:19 PM
It should be an actor we dont know. I dont want to be looking at the screen going "oh look theres Tom Savini". I want an unknown, menacing presence. Not Danny Trejo either

Thorn
06-Feb-2012, 05:20 PM
Now Savini may not be the best actor around BUT he is part of the family; c'mon, the guy was in the original Dawn AND directed the terrifiv Night remake... I would welcome him.
And it's not as if the governor is a complex character or anything. More a 2D comic book 'bad guy'. He might do it right. He seems genuinely passionate about the world of the undead.

That being said, characters like the governor and Michone work fine in a comic book context, but in the TV-version... I hope they handle it well and give them some more depth. If they do that, then yeah, Savini might not be their best choice. We'll see.

Well said and it is my fear exactly, I don't want the character to be a 2d comic book villain who defies the laws of reality, physics, and medicine. I want an evil SOB who you hate, who seethes with rage and emotion, who is so vile you feel it coming through the screen and feel scummy for having watched him. Tom can't bring that to the role, let him play another part. ;) I love the guy, just don't want him set up to fail.

bassman
06-Feb-2012, 06:35 PM
It should be an actor we dont know. I dont want to be looking at the screen going "oh look theres Tom Savini". I want an unknown, menacing presence. Not Danny Trejo either

100% Agreed. While Hawkes is a great actor and Savini is a legend in the business/genre, it needs to be an unknown. IMO, one of the best things going for the series so far is that most of the actors are unknown. I know Andrew Lincoln had done a few things here and there, but I was able to really connect with him because I didn't know him. With a few exceptions, the whole cast is made up of unknown actors as well.

When talking about villains and unknown actors, look no further than AMC's Breaking Bad. Gustavo Fring was an INCREDIBLE villain not only because he was a great actor, but also because he was unknown. If Fring was played by Denzel Washington or another well known actor it wouldn't have had half the impact that it did. Nothing against Washington, he's a fine actor, but not knowing the actor's previous work really adds to their characters.

So yeah.....i'm hoping when they eventually do announce the casting of The Governor, I won't have a clue who he is. Looking at the past casting decisions, there's a good chance that 's what will happen.

rongravy
06-Feb-2012, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I'd prefer an unknown in the part as well.
I knew Dale from other stuff, and the chick from Prison Break, but that was about it, besides Merle, of course.
I'd like to keep it that way.