PDA

View Full Version : Tony Moore sues Robert Kirkman and The Walking Dead

bassman
10-Feb-2012, 12:24 PM
Robert Kirkman's longtime collaborator and childhood friend Tony Moore is suing "The Walking Dead" co-creator over the proceeds for the wildly successful zombie property. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Moore filed suit today, claiming he was duped into signing his interest in "The Walking Dead" over to Kirkman in 2005. Moore co-created and launched "The Walking Dead" comic at Image Comics with Robert Kirkman in 2003, serving as ongoing artist from issues #1-6 before current artist Charlie Adlard took over. Moore provided cover art for "The Walking Dead" until issue #24 and also collaborated with Kirkman on "Battle Pope" and "Brit."

In the complaint, Moore alleges he initially signed a deal with Kirkman which would entitle Moore to 60 percent of "Comic Publishing Net Proceeds" and 20 percent of "motion picture net proceeds" for "The Walking Dead" and "Brit;" and 50 percent of "motion picture net proceeds" from "Battle Pope." In 2005, Moore claims he was informed by Kirkman a television deal for "The Walking Dead" was on the table, but "Kirkman would not be able to complete the deal unless [Moore] assigned all of his interest in the Walking Dead and other works to Kirkman," Moore signed the contract, believing the deal would not go through and claims Kirkman was attempting to "swindle" him out of his 50 percent interest in "The Walking Dead's" "motion picture net proceeds."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36911

In other words: "TWD has gone on to become a highly successful television series, so now i'm going to see if I can get my money-grubbing hands on some of that action! ....Even though I foolishly signed away my rights because I didn't have faith in the product".

The guy didn't seem to care when it was just a comic. A comic that has run for YEARS without him, btw. But once the show starts he has a problem with it?:rolleyes:

rongravy
11-Feb-2012, 07:17 PM
What a maroon. Hope he gets diddly.

shootemindehead
12-Feb-2012, 01:03 AM
FFS...Does everything end in litigation in America these days?

bassman
12-Feb-2012, 01:04 AM
FFS...Does everything end in litigation in America these days?

I hate to say it, but....yes. :(

childofgilead
12-Feb-2012, 01:07 AM
I wasn't crazy about his artwork to begin with. It was just too..anime.

bassman
09-Aug-2012, 07:56 PM
He's seeking a co-author title for TWD and his other collaborations with Kirkman.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/comics/s135/the-walking-dead/news/a398337/walking-dead-tony-moore-seeks-co-authorship.html

The artist launched a lawsuit against his childhood friend earlier in the year, claiming that Kirkman promised him a share of the revenue from those properties which he has never received.

Moore called his collaborator "a proud liar and fraudster who freely admits he has no qualm misrepresenting material facts in order to consummate business transactions" in the court documents.

Of course we don't know every detail of this situation, but it wreaks of greed, imo. I hope this really tarnishes his reputation in the business.

Thorn
12-Aug-2012, 04:53 AM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36911

In other words: "TWD has gone on to become a highly successful television series, so now i'm going to see if I can get my money-grubbing hands on some of that action! ....Even though I foolishly signed away my rights because I didn't have faith in the product".

The guy didn't seem to care when it was just a comic. A comic that has run for YEARS without him, btw. But once the show starts he has a problem with it?:rolleyes:

Sad part is e is an amazing artist.