PDA

View Full Version : Walking Dead Season 2 Special Edition Blu Ray

bassman
10-Feb-2012, 07:06 PM
I've split this off from the existing SE Blu Ray thread because it's technically the first bit of information we have for the Season Two set.

McFarlane Toys will be making the limited edition case for the SE Blu Ray sets of Season Two and it was just revealed (http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/02/10/walking-dead-dvd-case-mcfarlane/) at Toy Fair:

http://geek-news.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/p_pt_wdtv2_dvd_case_014.jpg

http://geek-news.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/p_pt_wdtv2_dvd_case_051.jpg

I think most of us were impressed with this zombie from episode 201 and I have to say....that's kinda cool. Definitely much better than the "door" special edition packaging of Season One.

Hopefully announcements of special features will arrive within the next few months....

AcesandEights
10-Feb-2012, 07:14 PM
Incoming lawsuit from the holders of the Pez copyright? :p

ProfessorChaos
10-Feb-2012, 08:35 PM
not terribly impressed with that thing. something about that one good eye just looks off.....think i'll stick with the standard blu-ray edition instead.

bassman
10-Feb-2012, 09:44 PM
not terribly impressed with that thing. something about that one good eye just looks off.....think i'll stick with the standard blu-ray edition instead.

Yeah, I'm sure i'll get the standard SE as well. But you gotta admit....this collector's case is MUCH better than this travesty from last season:

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/the-walking-dead-special-edition-collectors-cover.jpg

kidgloves
10-Feb-2012, 09:49 PM
Nice. Not really my thing. Im more of a special features guy.

MinionZombie
11-Feb-2012, 10:45 AM
Nice. Not really my thing. Im more of a special features guy.

Same here - I don't go in for special packaging (but that sure is a damn cool SE package!), rather the features.

Now - if only they'd put out the special edition of season 1 in the UK ... I'd like to have it on Region B Blu-Ray, but nooooo, they'd rather not make a bit of extra dosh. :rolleyes:

I'd hope that they at least give us the full deal here in the UK this time around - and perhaps even catch-up on the Season 1 package!

bassman
11-Feb-2012, 11:30 AM
You should talk with kidgloves to see how much it costs, but im pretty sure he'll tell you that it's worth importing the R1 version. The set is FANTASTIC. The most special features for any TV show i've ever seen.

MinionZombie
11-Feb-2012, 12:23 PM
You should talk with kidgloves to see how much it costs, but im pretty sure he'll tell you that it's worth importing the R1 version. The set is FANTASTIC. The most special features for any TV show i've ever seen.

Aye, I keep my eye on the R1 DVD set (would prefer Blu-Ray, but my BR - like most - isn't region free for BR's but is for DVDs) - but the R1 DVD is too expensive at the moment and would incur import duties (like the time I imported the 4-disc Dawn DVD at £23, they ruddy well slapped on £13 worth of import duties and handling fees!) ... so I'm keeping an eye on the price until a company puts it out cheap enough. I'm not sure if the import threshold is still £18, or if it's gone down to £15 yet (as I'd seen rumoured a while back).

kidgloves
11-Feb-2012, 03:38 PM
Aye, I keep my eye on the R1 DVD set (would prefer Blu-Ray, but my BR - like most - isn't region free for BR's but is for DVDs) - but the R1 DVD is too expensive at the moment and would incur import duties (like the time I imported the 4-disc Dawn DVD at £23, they ruddy well slapped on £13 worth of import duties and handling fees!) ... so I'm keeping an eye on the price until a company puts it out cheap enough. I'm not sure if the import threshold is still £18, or if it's gone down to £15 yet (as I'd seen rumoured a while back).

forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?19108-quot-Walking-Dead-quot-Special-Edition-DVD-and-Blu-Ray-details/page3

Post #35 It involves buying a cheap but very good bluray player but works great.

MinionZombie
11-Feb-2012, 05:57 PM
forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?19108-quot-Walking-Dead-quot-Special-Edition-DVD-and-Blu-Ray-details/page3

Post #35 It involves buying a cheap but very good bluray player but works great.

My current BR/DVD/DivX player is just dandy - I ain't buying a whole new player just to import Season 1 - I shouldn't have to either. AMC/Anchor Bay should ruddy well respect the international fans, dangit! :rant:

I'd hope they rectify the season 1 situation when season 2 is released - and at the very least I hope they release season 2 properly here in the UK! You payin' attention, AMC/Anchor Bay/whoever?! Yeah - I'm talkin' to you ... :shifty:

childofgilead
11-Feb-2012, 06:49 PM
That's the exact reason I haven't purchased yet. There is always a part of me that wonders if somebody is gonna pull a Lucas and release something with "even moar footage" somewhere down the line and I'll be sitting there like a lumpus with the old piece of crap version.

Hell, I haven't made the leap to Blu-Ray because of the way my apartment is set up, I haven't made the leap to purchase the better tv and soundsystem to go along with it. I'll post pix of my lonely little game station, you guys are gonna throw rocks at me, serious!

edit: http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b102/gileadexile/IMG-20120211-00368.jpg

The chair is there because the missus is out of town for the weekend and i was playing some xbox last night and didn't move it back.

bassman
11-Feb-2012, 06:53 PM
That's the exact reason I haven't purchased yet. There is always a part of me that wonders if somebody is gonna pull a Lucas and release something with "even moar footage" somewhere down the line and I'll be sitting there like a lumpus with the old piece of crap version.

With TWD we knew when there was a better version coming even before they released the bare bones version. So if anyone forked out cash for the first dvd, it was their decision to not hold out for the special edition. Also, you don't have to worry about new versions of the first season. The SE out now is going to be it. I can't possibly see them adding anything more. Especially for a tv series.

childofgilead
11-Feb-2012, 07:02 PM
True, but with my laptop crapping out, I don't have a Blu-Ray capable player..is the PS3s version good enough to not only purchase one but have that as the primary?

rongravy
11-Feb-2012, 07:56 PM
Looks cool to me, I'd like to own both seasons.
Baubles, man. Baubles...

bassman
11-Feb-2012, 08:08 PM
True, but with my laptop crapping out, I don't have a Blu-Ray capable player..

The special edition is also available on DVD. Even Walmart carries it. It's the one with the Drew Struzan poster as the case, not the shot of Rick riding into town.

childofgilead
11-Feb-2012, 08:44 PM
But..future proofing..good quality..:(

MinionZombie
11-Feb-2012, 08:59 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b102/gileadexile/IMG-20120211-00368.jpg[/IMG]

You must have gone cross-eyed sitting that close!

Bassman - did we know in advance, though? I thought we were all just theorising because the extras package was so lacklustre on the initial release (only web videos) - indeed I was just holding out out of sheer belief that there'd be a better version. Hmmm...

Now something like Avatar - they were very clear up-front about that (hence why I waited for the 3-disc blu-ray with all its lovely sexy extra content) - but I can't recall a specific alert ahead of time for TWD Season 1 ... maybe I missed a post about it? :confused:

bassman
11-Feb-2012, 09:44 PM
Bassman - did we know in advance, though? I thought we were all just theorising because the extras package was so lacklustre on the initial release (only web videos) - indeed I was just holding out out of sheer belief that there'd be a better version. Hmmm...

Now something like Avatar - they were very clear up-front about that (hence why I waited for the 3-disc blu-ray with all its lovely sexy extra content) - but I can't recall a specific alert ahead of time for TWD Season 1 ... maybe I missed a post about it? :confused:

It was never stated upfront by AMC, but we all pieced it together before the release of the bare bones version. If I remember correctly, Darabont had mentioned the B&W version of the pilot on a special edition set and also the documentary by Constatine Nasir. I also seem to remember a comment by Kirkman stating that a better verison would indeed be coming later.

Also, AMC has always released it's season sets just before the premiere of the new season(series, as I believe you guys call it). Even though TWD was rare with six episodes, it was speculated from the beginning that it was just a way to cash in on the popularity and the real set would be released just before season two. That turned out to be true.

Basically it was putting together hints and AMC's prior release dates, but it was pretty much a given. I think this season they won't be pulling the same marketing gimmick. There will be only one edition and it will release just before season three begins.

childofgilead
11-Feb-2012, 11:59 PM
You must have gone cross-eyed sitting that close!

hahahaha..it's not actually as close as it looks, but you're right, I get alot of grief for sitting close..but hey, why not take advantage when there isn't anybody else here to block?

Were deleted scenes included in the special edition? That's what always has me curious, especially w/ season 2, seeing as how much was apparently excised due to not being able to use it..I kinda find that claim..dubious.

MinionZombie
12-Feb-2012, 12:57 PM
I do hope that they include 'the original episodes 1 and 2' for the fans - I'd be really interested to see what they were like, plus there's so much lost information and footage as a result of that merging of episodes 1 and 2 - it'd be nice for the fans to see that content so they can have it in their mind as they watch the actual, final version of episode 1.

kidgloves
27-Mar-2012, 06:11 PM
Now up for preorder

http://www.amazon.com/The-Walking-Dead-Complete-Limited/dp/B007MS5B6Q/ref=tmm_blu_title_0

MinionZombie
27-Mar-2012, 06:35 PM
Now up for preorder

http://www.amazon.com/The-Walking-Dead-Complete-Limited/dp/B007MS5B6Q/ref=tmm_blu_title_0

I hope we get a proper treatment for home video here in the UK for season two - we got screwed on season one. I shouldn't have to go to the fuss and expense of importing the special edition of season one (which I would like to have on Blu-Ray) - a Region B SE release of season one at the same time as an SE release of season two (also on blu) here in the UK would be ideal. I hope AMC et al are paying attention to their international fans!

LouCipherr
27-Mar-2012, 07:07 PM
True, but with my laptop crapping out, I don't have a Blu-Ray capable player..is the PS3s version good enough to not only purchase one but have that as the primary?

*sidetracks thread for a brief moment to answer this question*

cog - a PS3 is actually the best way to go if you're trying to "future proof" your Blu-Ray player. Consider this: Sony is the pioneer of Blu Ray technology. The PS3 is always going to be the most updated BR player out there if just for the fact that it's Sony's own hardware... and they certainly aren't going to put out a machine like the PS3 without making sure it can be updated to the current BR standard for many, many years to come.

Many other non-Sony brands will come and go, and when they go, don't expect software updates much long (if at all). My current Philips player is in that situation. It's a fantastic BR player, but it's discontinued, and guess what? That's right, no more firmware/software updates, ever. It hasn't affected me yet, but one day a BR is going to come out that will only work with the lastest firmware/software and that means I'll get a nice message saying "oops, can't play this, sorry, sucker. Next time buy a PS3" :lol:

That being said, it's not the "best" BR player out there, but it is the most future-proof player.

Ok, sorry about that everyone, just wanted to answer cog's question.

"...We now return you to your regularly scheduled program already in progress..."

bassman
27-Mar-2012, 07:09 PM
It turns out that this thing isn't specifically for the Season Two set. On another forum I visit, members say they've already purchased this. You have to seperately supply the SEASON ONE blu ray set to go in the damn thing. You would only be buying the empty sculpt...

Perhaps the Season Two set will also fit inside, but this news makes it a definite pass....

kidgloves
27-Mar-2012, 08:04 PM
It turns out that this thing isn't specifically for the Season Two set. On another forum I visit, members say they've already purchased this. You have to seperately supply the SEASON ONE blu ray set to go in the damn thing. You would only be buying the empty sculpt...

Perhaps the Season Two set will also fit inside, but this news makes it a definite pass....

Im confused. Are you saying that you only get the sculpture but NO blu-rays? It says " The Walking Dead: The Complete Second Season (Limited Edition) [Blu-ray]" on the page i've linked to.

bassman
27-Mar-2012, 08:09 PM
Im confused. Are you saying that you only get the sculpture but NO blu-rays? It says " The Walking Dead: The Complete Second Season (Limited Edition) [Blu-ray]" on the page i've linked to.

That's what i've been told. Perhaps they'll re-release it with Season Two within the sculpture in October, but i've been told you can by the sculpture in stores right now. I'm puzzled by the whole thing too...

MinionZombie
28-Mar-2012, 09:59 AM
Well surely on Amazon it's a pre-order for the sculpture plus the S2 BR?

zomtom
28-Mar-2012, 08:32 PM
I pre-ordered the standard Blu-ray edition a few days ago. I'm still not sure of the release date. I really don't need the special packaging. I prefer uniformity on my shelves. Just don't need a big ole zombie head sitting there.

MinionZombie
28-Mar-2012, 08:47 PM
I pre-ordered the standard Blu-ray edition a few days ago. I'm still not sure of the release date. I really don't need the special packaging. I prefer uniformity on my shelves. Just don't need a big ole zombie head sitting there.

I agree. While it might be what some want, I do prefer to have some uniformity in my shelves - like you zomtom - so a great big unwieldy sculpture would kind of put a spanner in the works.

kidgloves
29-Mar-2012, 10:37 PM
Mazarra talks about the season 2 dvd/blu-ray

http://www.fearnet.com/news/interviews/b25874_exclusive_walking_dead_showrunner_glen.html

I'm liking the way he's keeping fans updated. He's prolific on Twitter.

Regarding The Walking Dead season 2 on DVD, Glen Mazzara remarked, "We don't have a release date yet for the season 2 DVD… There will be five commentaries – for the first episode, "Pretty Much Dead Already", "Nebraska", "Judge, Jury, Executioner", and the finale. There will be many deleted scenes with my commentary as to why they were cut. There will be a special bonus feature of cut material that we sort of turned into a little featurette. I think there's a lot of AMC's behind-the-scenes featurettes. There will also be, in the deleted scenes, I think it's almost twelve minutes of footage that was cut very early on. And I will do a detailed commentary as to why that was cut and why we didn't think it was pushing the story forward."

MinionZombie
30-Mar-2012, 10:00 AM
Mazarra talks about the season 2 dvd/blu-ray

http://www.fearnet.com/news/interviews/b25874_exclusive_walking_dead_showrunner_glen.html

I'm liking the way he's keeping fans updated. He's prolific on Twitter.

And hopefully we bloody well get all that here in the UK too!

By the sounds of it, it seems like we might hopefully be getting all that cut footage from the original episodes 1 and 2 - which would be excellent for the fans. I really hope we get this complete package in the UK - pay attention AMC/Anchor Bay/whoever.

zomtom
01-Apr-2012, 06:21 AM
If I recall correctly, when AMC accidently posted the pre-order for Season 2 dvd/blu ray, the release date was August 31st. I hope it's sooner than that. I would love to bring both seasons to my camp this Summer and have a zombie-fest.

MinionZombie
01-Apr-2012, 11:39 AM
If I recall correctly, when AMC accidently posted the pre-order for Season 2 dvd/blu ray, the release date was August 31st. I hope it's sooner than that. I would love to bring both seasons to my camp this Summer and have a zombie-fest.

I recall Bassman saying a while back that AMC often release boxsets in the lead-up to a new season, so August 31st is probably fairly accurate, coming less than two months ahead of season three's debut - it makes business sense, but from a fan's perspective there's the ruddy waiting for it, hehe.

bassman
04-Apr-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm very surprised they'll be including the "lost episode" deleted scenes. I figured AMC would try to sweep that one under the rug after all the Darabont controversy on the net.

I'm surprised we're getting deleted scenes at all, actually. The SE Season One set could have had several but they weren't included. I could also use more commentaries, but it's better to have a few than none at all.

MinionZombie
05-Apr-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm very surprised they'll be including the "lost episode" deleted scenes. I figured AMC would try to sweep that one under the rug after all the Darabont controversy on the net.

I'm surprised we're getting deleted scenes at all, actually. The SE Season One set could have had several but they weren't included. I could also use more commentaries, but it's better to have a few than none at all.

Aye, I was a little surprised that they're putting the stuff on there - but so they damn well should - we the fans want to see that footage. Surely it must be most of an episode's worth of footage. It'd be wise for them to not make things worse, just be open with the footage, as they seem to be doing - which is good.

I was re-reading some Mazzara interviews and it seemed to say that AMC kind of backed off a bit and let the folks do what they needed to do in the back-end of season two - which clearly was a wise move as the back-end was the best portion of the season (even though I loved the whole season, the back end definitely had the most to offer, but as is so often the case with quality drama, you've got to do the leg work up front to make the back-end have meaning ... so it's all necessary).

I also noticed when perusing Mazzara's twitter feed t'other day that he said it's more than likely that it'll just be the one set (i.e. no double dip, as what happened with the first season) ... so hopefully that'll mean we Brits might actually stand a fucking chance of getting the full works on DVD/Blu-Ray, rather than just getting the rushed release (which was cut no less!) and not getting the special edition (still hoping they'll change that when season two is released, to cash-in, you know?)

MinionZombie
13-Apr-2012, 06:12 PM
You can pre-order Season 2 on DVD and Blu-Ray now - although there's no info as-yet, from what I've seen anyway, as to what the whole package will be like (e.g. extras etc) ... the date says August 27th for the release though. I wonder if that'll really be the street date?

kidgloves
15-Apr-2012, 02:18 PM
A video preview of the Limited Edition box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVtepYFzsa4&feature=player_embedded

bassman
19-Apr-2012, 06:58 PM
Anchor Bay has announced the official release date of August 28th: http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=77343

So far we know these features will be included....

•Five Audio Commentaries:
– Ep.1 – “What Lies Ahead” – Ep.7 – “Pretty Much Dead Already” – Ep.8 – “Nebraska” – Ep.11 – “Judge, Jury, Executioner” – Ep.13 – “Beside the Dying Fire”
•Deleted Scenes with audio commentary by Producer Glen Mazzara
•“Cut Material” featurette
•AMC’s behind-the-scenes featurettes

I really, really hope we get another documentary like "We Are The Walking Dead" from the first season SE....

kidgloves
19-Apr-2012, 08:36 PM
Anchor Bay has announced the official release date of August 28th: http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=77343

So far we know these features will be included....

I really, really hope we get another documentary like "We Are The Walking Dead" from the first season SE....

Yeah. That was excellent. "Cut Material" featurette should be very interesting.

MinionZombie
20-Apr-2012, 09:40 AM
Again, as I've said before, hopefully we Brits don't get stuffed this time - but considering there's only supposed to be a single release, the chances are stacked more in our favour - but that doesn't mean we'll get everything as so often is the case (e.g. the Blue Velvet blu-ray in our territory apparently won't have the 51 minutes of newly discovered deleted scenes!) - but hopefully they'll do it right with season two ... and even more hopefully, they'll pimp out the SE version of season one here in the UK as a tie-in release.

I'd love to see the material cut from the original episode 1 & 2 - there's so much missing information that'd be good to see. You get snippets of it in the season two trailer, but naturally it went walkies when there were problems, so hopefully they've not done a half-assed job in presenting us that cut content. I want it all, not a few handfuls. :shifty:

kidgloves
29-May-2012, 05:00 PM
Season 2 has been classified an 18 in the UK with NO cuts.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/AVV288961/

MinionZombie
30-May-2012, 10:14 AM
Season 2 has been classified an 18 in the UK with NO cuts.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/AVV288961/

Any word yet on the special features for the UK boxset? Hopefully we get exactly what our Americalander chums are getting - I was pissed that we got screwed over with no special edition of season one (still yet to import the R1 SE DVD). However, provided the disc extras check out, I'll be getting season two on blu-ray.

In terms of cuts - were the cuts to season one down to whoever handed them over from America, rather than the BBFC themselves? I think it was the former (sometimes that's been known to happen, a distributor hands over an inferior copy with cut material, and the BBFC make no cuts themselves) - indeed the content of season one is tame by comparison to some of the stuff passed uncut by the BBFC, so IIRC it was whoever provided the UK distributors with copies that made the balls up ... point being, hopefully that won't happen again.

kidgloves
30-May-2012, 12:28 PM
Any word yet on the special features for the UK boxset? Hopefully we get exactly what our Americalander chums are getting - I was pissed that we got screwed over with no special edition of season one (still yet to import the R1 SE DVD). However, provided the disc extras check out, I'll be getting season two on blu-ray.

In terms of cuts - were the cuts to season one down to whoever handed them over from America, rather than the BBFC themselves? I think it was the former (sometimes that's been known to happen, a distributor hands over an inferior copy with cut material, and the BBFC make no cuts themselves) - indeed the content of season one is tame by comparison to some of the stuff passed uncut by the BBFC, so IIRC it was whoever provided the UK distributors with copies that made the balls up ... point being, hopefully that won't happen again.

Not sure but season 1 was classified 15 and it looks like it was submitted with the cuts already made as I can only find details saying passed with no cuts.
I've already preordered the season 2 bluray from Amazon UK and after extensive searching it seems there is only one version of the release with 4 discs (it says 3 on Amazon) with the limited edition head being the only other option. Don't forget that the season 1 bluray/dvd barebones release was released earlier worldwide with North America the only territory getting the SE so it wouldn't make financial sense to have different versions/extras for different territories this time around.
Does anyone know if they classify extras? The BBFC rating refers to the episodes only I've just noticed.
Who knows? We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

MinionZombie
30-May-2012, 06:58 PM
Not sure but season 1 was classified 15 and it looks like it was submitted with the cuts already made as I can only find details saying passed with no cuts.
I've already preordered the season 2 bluray from Amazon UK and after extensive searching it seems there is only one version of the release with 4 discs (it says 3 on Amazon) with the limited edition head being the only other option. Don't forget that the season 1 bluray/dvd barebones release was released earlier worldwide with North America the only territory getting the SE so it wouldn't make financial sense to have different versions/extras for different territories this time around.
Does anyone know if they classify extras? The BBFC rating refers to the episodes only I've just noticed.
Who knows? We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Perhaps they haven't received those yet - hopefully just a delay, and not we Brits getting screwed again. That'd be a piss take - hopefully not though - surely it's lighter on the pocket for the money men to just release the same content everywhere, rather than farting around giving half-assed releases to other countries (you'd think they would have all learned by now, that if you give everyone the best content, then more people will actually buy it - on numerous occasions I've had to import, or flat-out not purchase a release, simply because the release itself is half-assed and missing content found on the American release).

So yeah, hopefully just a delay, or something like that!

kidgloves
02-Jun-2012, 12:52 PM
Season 2 Bluray/DVD Trailer

ym1VsUaC2JA

-- -------- Post added 02-Jun-2012 at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was 31-May-2012 at 02:53 PM ----------

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/news3/WalkingDead_S2_BLU_f.jpg

MinionZombie
20-Jul-2012, 11:27 AM
I was looking at the specs for the UK edition, and I don't see any episode commentaries listed ... I do hope this is a mere oversight in the info, and not another fuck you to the non-USA fans of the show. We're getting some 'UK exclusive' "character profiles" bullshit (yeah, because we really need to learn about the characters who we've been following since the beginning and know inside and out by now ... i.e. a waste of content space), but I don't see episode commentaries listed. We do have a slew of featurettes as well as deleted scenes (with Mazarra commentary), but no episode commentaries.

Hopefully it's just an info bugger up - like the press release for the release of Hobo With A Shotgun, they only put out the DVD specs, so every site just had those listings, meanwhile the UK Blu-Ray (which I bought) actually had everything featured on the limited edition North American Blu-Ray ... ... as an extra features whore, I really do wish they distributors would sort their act out, and not only put the info out there correctly and comprehensively (and promptly - still waiting on info for Prometheus, which didn't reveal their extras at Comic-Con as previously announced), but make sure everyone gets the same content.

It's annoying enough that the R1 SE DVD for season one is too expensive to import (we now have a £15 import limit before duties charges get slapped on etc - essentially doubling the cost of the import, as well as delaying its arrival by a good 10 days, and meaning you have to go to the ruddy post office depot to pay and receive in person), but as a TWD fan I'll be rather annoyed indeed if we're not getting the episode commentaries - does anyone have any better info on this?

bassman
22-Jul-2012, 12:53 PM
Are the extra import charges only applied if it's being delivered by a company, or does it also apply if a person from out of your country is mailing it in? I ask because if it's any easier being mailed in by an individual, I would be happy to pick it up and send it to you, MZ. No extra cost.

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2012, 10:48 AM
Are the extra import charges only applied if it's being delivered by a company, or does it also apply if a person from out of your country is mailing it in? I ask because if it's any easier being mailed in by an individual, I would be happy to pick it up and send it to you, MZ. No extra cost.

I'm not sure. I assume it's to do with what's written on the custom & duties form on the packet, where the price is written. Not entirely sure how it works, but I suppose if coming from a company then they're always filling out the forms in the correct manner with it being a transaction, rather than a "gift", which don't count at customs usually.

-- -------- Post added 28-Jul-2012 at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was 23-Jul-2012 at 09:29 AM ----------

hJvwQckSMrs&feature=g-u-u

Have a gander at this 'ere clip from one of the featurettes on the upcoming DVD/Blu-Ray release of season 2. :thumbsup:

bassman
28-Jul-2012, 10:51 AM
The more i've seen it, the more I dislike that "gutting" scene. It doesn't make any sense, it isn't need, and it's an obvious "let's show off some gore!" scene.

AcesandEights
28-Jul-2012, 03:15 PM
The more i've seen it, the more I dislike that "gutting" scene. It doesn't make any sense, it isn't need, and it's an obvious "let's show off some gore!" scene.

Yup! I really liked season 2, especially that 2nd half, but there were a few things they would toss in just meet some sort of predetermined quotas.

kidgloves
01-Aug-2012, 06:14 AM
No episode commentaries on the UK version by the looks of things :(

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/dvd/The+Walking+Dead-250546.html

MinionZombie
01-Aug-2012, 09:51 AM
No episode commentaries on the UK version by the looks of things :(

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/dvd/The+Walking+Dead-250546.html

As I'd feared then. FFS - why can't we just get the same version as the Americans?! :rant:

How is that so hard, why do we not get the commentaries? And they have the cheek to boast us getting a "UK exclusive" feature in the form of character profiles - I already know the characters top-to-feckin-bottom - I want ruddy commentaries!

kidgloves
01-Aug-2012, 12:52 PM
Just cancelled my UK order from Amazon and ordered the US version from the same place as I got the season 1 Special Edition.
Bluraysforeveryone.

MinionZombie
01-Aug-2012, 05:12 PM
Just cancelled my UK order from Amazon and ordered the US version from the same place as I got the season 1 Special Edition.
Bluraysforeveryone.

Screwed over royally on season one, and screwed over just enough on season two to rub salt into the wound ... ffs AMC/EntertainmentOne. :rant:

kidgloves
01-Aug-2012, 06:11 PM
Screwed over royally on season one, and screwed over just enough on season two to rub salt into the wound ... ffs AMC/EntertainmentOne. :rant:

Yeah. Im pretty sick too. Paid well over the odds to get the season 2 blu but i couldn't go without those damn commentaries.

bassman
09-Aug-2012, 05:33 PM
Here's one of the deleted scenes from the beginning of season two in which they return to the "Vatos" hideout before leaving the city. Only it's not quite the same as before...

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/08/09/walking-dead-deleted-scene-season-2-opening/

UCf-9KRzwtw

Also, here's part of a special feature called "The Ink is Alive", where Kirkman compares the comic to the show: http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/watch-the-ink-come-alive-with-robert-kirkman-in-new-walking-dead-season-2-featurette

Only a couple weeks away from the release of Season Two. Looking forward to it...

MinionZombie
10-Aug-2012, 09:40 AM
With the UK release, I think I'll wait and see what's what - i.e. are there truly no episode commentaries on it (it's not the first time that release info has been slightly incorrect, or even vastly incorrect - for instance, the UK release info for Hobo With A Shotgun was only for the DVD, and they incredibly neglected to trumpet the fact that the UK Blu-Ray had the exact same content as the limited edition North American BR - a nice coup for us Brits) ... so I'll wait for official word on that (Danny could help us out on the commentaries issue as he'll be getting the copy he won soon after it releases).

Another concern for us Brits is will any of the episodes be cut? The Season One release had cut episodes - even though they were broadcast uncut! So I don't want to pre-order Season 2 because of these issues - however, if the episodes turn out to be fully uncut, and I can get the audio commentaries off the internet, then I might buy the UK release.

kidgloves
10-Aug-2012, 10:03 PM
First proper review of the US release

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6746/walking_dead_s2.html

Very good review even though the reviewer didn't enjoy the season.
Great audio and Mazzara sounds like he loves making television. He seems involved with everything.

shootemindehead
12-Aug-2012, 02:09 PM
Does anyone know if there was an R2 uncut release of Season 1 yet? Or are we still lumped with the cut version?

-- -------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

It's annoying enough that the R1 SE DVD for season one is too expensive to import (we now have a £15 import limit before duties charges get slapped on etc - essentially doubling the cost of the import, as well as delaying its arrival by a good 10 days, and meaning you have to go to the ruddy post office depot to pay and receive in person), but as a TWD fan I'll be rather annoyed indeed if we're not getting the episode commentaries - does anyone have any better info on this?

We have import payments across the pond too Min. It's a real PITA. It's sort of hit and miss here in Ireland though, for some reason. Ordered some DVDs from Amazon recently and didn't have to pay import on them, but got hit just before that, when ordering 'Stalingrad' from the same site.

Wasn't even the right flippin film either, but a documentary that had been falsely/mistakenly labelled.

I was livid.

I've toyed with the idea of getting the R1 blu-ray releases of 'The Walking Dead', but the hits on importing have seriously put me off. In general R1 releases are usually better than the R2.

MinionZombie
12-Aug-2012, 04:13 PM
Tell me about it shoot, those import duties are killers. Totally disproportionate to the actual product imported in my view.

The other issue with Blu-Ray is region locking - DVD players all have handset hacks, but no Blu-Ray players do (we're still lumbered with this idiotic region business), and some companies still lock their Blu-Ray discs (fortunately I was able to import the superior American release of Blue Velvet on Blu-Ray, because the UK release didn't have the newly discovered deleted scenes - can you believe that?! What moron was in charge of the UK release and for what good reason were those scenes not on the UK release?) ... anyway ... unless you've got a region free BR player, you're stuffed if you import a locked BR disc.

I've already got a BR player, so I'm not going to specifically buy another one just for one ruddy release - and even if I did, the import duties strike, as - at least here in Britain - the max level is £15. A penny or more over that and the duties get slapped on, which would essentially double the price and delay receipt by a good couple of weeks. I don't understand it either, because on many websites the import prices are decidedly over £15 - yet we can't import those without penalties. So what's the deal there? I don't want to try it out because you'll either get your thing after weeks of waiting and be decidedly down money wise, or you just let them send it back and then you're a little bit down with no purchase. Stuff that.

We've only had one release of Season 1 - so it'll be the cut versions still. I'm surprised they never bothered to release the special edition over our way, and I'm still in a nerd-rage over our release not being the same as the US one. Why is it so hard to provide the same content for all releases? It happens so often too, and for no good reason. Sod "UK exclusive character profiles", I want episode commentaries - don't shit in my nerd hat and tell me it's chocolate gateux.

shootemindehead
13-Aug-2012, 02:28 AM
I bought a Toshiba BDX1200 and a BDX3200KB from Amazon and zapped with this Australian Firmware

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|284p12|2195861822|BDX1200KY_V16.iso|325 36|0|0

Now I have region free DVD and can switch between blu-ray regions with a few clicks.

I've no idea why the R2 version of disks are so different to the R1 releases. It drives me round the twist too. I suppose it could be a rights issue. Perhaps there's just some content that the producers can't release in the R2 market. But that doesn't cover commentaries surely? I don't know.

I'm looking forward to the 'Jaws' Blu-ray at the end of the month and if there's stuff missing from the R2 release, I'll flip.

kidgloves
13-Aug-2012, 09:13 AM
I bought a Toshiba BDX1200 and a BDX3200KB from Amazon and zapped with this Australian Firmware

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|284p12|2195861822|BDX1200KY_V16.iso|325 36|0|0

Now I have region free DVD and can switch between blu-ray regions with a few clicks.

I've no idea why the R2 version of disks are so different to the R1 releases. It drives me round the twist too. I suppose it could be a rights issue. Perhaps there's just some content that the producers can't release in the R2 market. But that doesn't cover commentaries surely? I don't know.

I'm looking forward to the 'Jaws' Blu-ray at the end of the month and if there's stuff missing from the R2 release, I'll flip.

Glad to see someone actually took my advice and went the BDX1200 route.

I use this guy to avoid custom charges

http://www.bluraysforeveryone.com/

shootemindehead
13-Aug-2012, 03:10 PM
Aye, it probably was you Kidgloves. I wasn't sure if I'd heard it myself on this site or on AVForums.

How does Bluraysforeveryone avoid the charges? I thought the charge was at point of entry into the country?

bassman
13-Aug-2012, 06:56 PM
A special feature on the burning of the barn: http://tvline.com/2012/08/10/walking-dead-video-season-2-finale/

kidgloves
13-Aug-2012, 08:30 PM
Aye, it probably was you Kidgloves. I wasn't sure if I'd heard it myself on this site or on AVForums.

How does Bluraysforeveryone avoid the charges? I thought the charge was at point of entry into the country?

It was AVforums I got it from.

I can't remember but I think Bluraysforeveryone label it as a gift. I emailed the guy before I bought the special edition last time and he said it wouldn't be a problem getting it through. He adds a few dollars to the price and with shipping it raises the price quite a but nothing too ridiculous

shootemindehead
14-Aug-2012, 09:12 AM
Aye, labelling as a gift will get it past customs. Not sure how much of a grey area, legally, it is though. I've had some sites refuse to do that for me.

Oddly enough, I recieved 2 discs in the mail yesterday from Amazon...and no import charge, so I haven't a clue how these things are accounted for over here.

MinionZombie
15-Aug-2012, 04:59 PM
Here's a review of the US edition of the Blu-Ray:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Walking-Dead-The-Complete-Second-Season-Blu-ray/33168/#Review

bassman
15-Aug-2012, 05:33 PM
Bah....I hate to beat a dead horse but I still think it blows that we're not getting another feature length documentary. The longest doc is eight minutes??

I guess Constantine(doc director on first season and The Mist) left with Darabont....

MinionZombie
15-Aug-2012, 06:26 PM
Bah....I hate to beat a dead horse but I still think it blows that we're not getting another feature length documentary. The longest doc is eight minutes??

I guess Constantine(doc director on first season and The Mist) left with Darabont....

Aye, I'd love to see that doc on season one, but well - I've been over that issue a few times already, hehe. Yeah - I wouldn't call any of those featurettes "in depth". 5.5 mins for gore isn't "in-depth" :lol: ... still wanna see them, but considering that, plus no episode commentaries, means I ain't splashing out thirty quid for the Blu-Ray. £18 max and we'll talk.

shootemindehead
17-Aug-2012, 12:27 AM
MZ Just as a matter of information, if you are considering getting one of the Toshiba models I mentioned earlier, get the BDX3200KB and zap it with the firmware from here. https://rapidshare.com/#!download|56p3|1981094417|BDX3200KY_RF.ISO|30908| 0|0

To me it's a better machine and hasn't had any trouble with the any file types either. I used to have issues with MKV's on the 1200. But the 3200 plays them just fine. MKV's that would not play of the 1200, play perfectly on the 3200.

MinionZombie
17-Aug-2012, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the tip, but I'm not in the market for a new player at the moment. The BD player I've had for a couple of years now is still great (the only downside is that it isn't region free for BR - but is for DVD after I handset hacked it, and some file types aren't recognised by the DivX player portion of it) ... and my DVD player is still going strong after nearly ten years. If it were to conk out sometime though, I'd certainly take your recommendation and get one of those to replace it - if it were to die on me sometime.

bassman
20-Aug-2012, 07:48 PM
Another deleted scene:

zH3ZFRj_joM

Looks like Darabont may have been trying to introduce the human threat sooner....

MinionZombie
21-Aug-2012, 09:05 AM
Another deleted scene:

zH3ZFRj_joM

Looks like Darabont may have been trying to introduce the human threat sooner....

A nice bit of foreshadowing there - shame it couldn't have been worked into the show, but I suppose it's inevitable that you'll lose something cool like that when making large changes to two episodes.

kidgloves
24-Aug-2012, 12:31 PM
Looks like us UK folks are getting a bundled release of seasons 1 & 2. Still the barebones though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Walking-Dead-Season-1-2-Blu-ray/dp/B0083V0IIW/ref=sr_1_5?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1345810866&sr=1-5

MinionZombie
24-Aug-2012, 05:23 PM
Looks like us UK folks are getting a bundled release of seasons 1 & 2. Still the barebones though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Walking-Dead-Season-1-2-Blu-ray/dp/B0083V0IIW/ref=sr_1_5?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1345810866&sr=1-5

Bloody typical. You'd have thought they could have at least bothered to put out the special edition of Season 1, but no... :rolleyes:

It's amazing really, because there's all these people in other territories who'd want to buy it, but can't import it. Indeed it still boggles my mind that territories so culturally close as the USA and UK can still get such drastically different treatment when it comes to DVD/BR releases. Not always, but often enough to be a real bug bear for we British nerds. :rant:

bassman
28-Aug-2012, 07:30 PM
So i've gone over the entire set(excluding two of the commentaries). Honestly....I'm really disappointed in this. I was hoping the smaller featurettes would add up to something worthwhile, but they really don't. Of the dozen or so featurettes, only a couple of them are worth the viewing(McCreary's music, Ink-To-Film, and one on Nicotero's directorial debut). Many of them have already been seen online, as well.

The deleted scenes are interesting, but nothing truly amazing. The bulk of these being from the "lost" half of the premiere episode and I'm sure they'll all be online shortly if they're not already. The commentary for these deleted scenes is okay, but nothing to get excited over. It's basically Mazzara saying "we felt like this didn't work" over and over again.

The commentaries are quite bland. As I said before, i've got two left to listen through, but they're not keeping me interested at this point. Nicotero's commentary for his small series of webisodes is better than the commentaries for the actual TV series...

The transfers and all the technical aspects of the show look great in 1080p, but quite honestly.....don't bother getting this set if you have the show recorded or plan to watch it again as it's replayed in the months leading into Halloween.

Bottom line is this set feels like nobody cared. Even Kirkman in the commentaries sounds like he's lost interest in his series. Compared to how everyone was so enthusiastic in the features for the first season SE, this feels like a crew that's really lost it's drive. Here's hoping that enthusiasm returns for Season Three. It's a damn shame that Mazzara already confirmed that this will be the only release of Season Two. This thing doesn't hold a candle to the SE of Season One or the initial release of Season One!

Skip it. Just my .02

Couple Easter Eggs:
On the special features menu, click toward the windmill and you'll see a funny clip of what REALLY made Lori run off the road.
On the deleted scenes menu, click toward the blue truck and you'll see a montage of basically every zombie visual effect in the season with a running commentary by Nicotero.

shootemindehead
28-Aug-2012, 09:49 PM
Um, that doesn't sound too good Bassy.

Thanks for the heads up though.

bassman
01-Sep-2012, 11:27 AM
Anybody get the screwdriver zombie special edition? Hopefully you didn't order it online and it arrives on your doorstep looking like this....

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61c0wV83VpL.jpg

What it actually looks like on the left, what we were told it would look like on the right.

MinionZombie
01-Sep-2012, 11:38 AM
Anybody get the screwdriver zombie special edition? Hopefully you didn't order it online and it arrives on your doorstep looking like this....

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61c0wV83VpL.jpg

What it actually looks like on the left, what we were told it would look like on the right.

Bloody hell! Really?! How is that even legal? :confused::stunned::eek:

ProfessorChaos
01-Sep-2012, 03:25 PM
ordered mine from amazon, selected two day shipping, it arrived in one day....the universe just saved me five bucks.

i only purchased the regular set, but i'd be a little pissed if i'd selected the collector's set and it looked that much crappier than promised. tbh, i didn't think it looked all that good in the first place.

bassman
01-Sep-2012, 09:33 PM
MZ, there's some nice information on the commentary about the religious zealot that Dale listens to on the radio. Initially, the radio character was actually going to become a regular on the show. The group was going to hear his broadcasts throughout the season, eventually discovering his location, and he was going to join the group. In the process of the season they decided to scrap the idea of him joining the group, so the radio broadcasts were dropped entirely. Mazzara wasn't clear if there were other radio scenes that were also filmed, but they're not included on the dvd.

Also, a guy on another board I visit tweeted Mazzara asking what happened to the scene with Shane running and he says that he doesn't know why it wasn't included on the dvd. Which is strange, because he also mentions on the commentary that the Shane running scene would be included elsewhere on the dvd, but it's not. Unless it's an easter egg that i've yet to find.

BTW....here's one of the easter eggs on the dvd. What REALLY caused Lori to flip that car:

mCfayhIS9bM

:lol:

MoonSylver
01-Sep-2012, 10:09 PM
BTW....here's one of the easter eggs on the dvd. What REALLY caused Lori to flip that car:lol:

That happened to me once, Ruined my whole day. Hate it when that happens. :D

MinionZombie
02-Sep-2012, 11:28 AM
Interesting ... I certainly found the radio zealot quite an interesting little bit there. It could have worked as just a one-off snippet inside that episode, I think. Just a touch of the outside world, lost out there somewhere, encroaching on their lives just that little bit.

BTW, Neil moved my deleted scenes review over to it's own dedicated thread here - http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?20654-Season-2-DVD-Bluray-Delete-scenes

kidgloves
05-Sep-2012, 05:11 PM
Just recieved my Season 2 blurays through the post. 6 days from the US.
The guy reduced the price as well as it retailed at $29.99 and the shipping was less than expected. Came in at just under £30.
Well chuffed.

MinionZombie
05-Sep-2012, 06:06 PM
Just recieved my Season 2 blurays through the post. 6 days from the US.
The guy reduced the price as well as it retailed at $29.99 and the shipping was less than expected. Came in at just under £30.
Well chuffed.

Nifty, almost like-for-like with the UK price ... well, online price anyway, not sure what it is on the highstreet.

kidgloves
05-Sep-2012, 07:01 PM
Nifty, almost like-for-like with the UK price ... well, online price anyway, not sure what it is on the highstreet.

To get around the customs issue he marked it as a dvd worth $8.
Loving it so far. Some absolute gold in the commentaries so far.