PDA

View Full Version : I Am Legend Prequel/Sequel

Neil
17-Feb-2012, 07:00 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Smith-Could-Return-An-I-Legend-Sequel-29495.html

Watching the end of I Am Legend you question the possibility of a sequel. After all, the film ends with Will Smith, the movie's biggest star, blowing himself up with a bunch of zombie/vampires while the two supporting characters, played by Alice Braga and Charlie Tahan, survive and make it to the survivor's colony. Apparently that ending isn't stopping Warner Bros. from moving forward with a sequel, though.

Personally speaking, let's hope they can f*** up a perfectly good idea less this time with stupid over-the-top CGI infected!

bassman
17-Feb-2012, 07:20 PM
http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/I_am_legend_2.jpg

AcesandEights
17-Feb-2012, 08:08 PM
I'd just rather they didn't even bother to try their hand at a follow up.

Really wasted potential in the first flick. There's some okay parts to the film, but I don't think I'll ever re-watch the whole of the film again in one sitting. I can't say I won't leave it on for a few minutes at certain points if I happen across a showing, though.

Mike70
17-Feb-2012, 08:27 PM
if there is any integrity left in hollywood, someone with some sense will burn the master print and negatives of this and it'll never reach the screen.

the first movie utterly trashed one of the greatest pieces of horror fiction ever. i can't even imagine what floating turd of a movie will be shat out this time.

shootemindehead
17-Feb-2012, 08:39 PM
Can they just make 'I am Legend' properly?

Mike70
17-Feb-2012, 08:42 PM
Can they just make 'I am Legend' properly?

they did. in 1964. that is still the best and closest to the book version to come along yet.

it's the only one to even come close on the family and the reason(s) that Neville is damned and is, in my view, the villian of the piece.
f*ck i might have opened a can of worms there.

MoonSylver
17-Feb-2012, 10:42 PM
"He brangin back e'body." :lol:

if there is any integrity left in hollywood, someone with some sense will burn the master print and negatives of this and it'll never reach the screen.

the first movie utterly trashed one of the greatest pieces of horror fiction ever. i can't even imagine what floating turd of a movie will be shat out this time.

^This.

they did. in 1964. that is still the best and closest to the book version to come along yet.

it's the only one to even come close on the family and the reason(s) that Neville is damned and is, in my view, the villian of the piece.

Nope. You're right. "Last Man On Earth" = far & away the closest. Really the only major difference is the ending, & in some ways it's not too far off, in tone & concept anyway.

Christopher Jon
18-Feb-2012, 12:10 AM
Neville is damned and is, in my view, the villian of the piece.
Neville was the monster. I Am Legend is a monster story told from the monsters point of view. Like most monsters, he doesn't realize that he is the bad guy.

The original ending of Will Smiths I Am Legend touches on that theme but audiences didn't like it so we got the grenade ending instead.

I actually liked Will Smiths I Am Legend. It was it's own story. I'm not expecting or care if Hollywood adaptation to stick very closely to the source material. They are what they are and getting butthurt over it is a waste of time. It's not like the book was a masterpiece anyway.

Mike70
18-Feb-2012, 12:17 AM
Neville was the monster. I Am Legend is a monster story told from the monsters point of view. Like most monsters, he doesn't realize that he is the bad guy.

indeed. the last page or so of "I am Legend" when Neville has his epiphany about being the monster is one of the most powerful pieces of writing in any genre. rarely does a horror novella rise to that level of literature.

Christopher Jon
18-Feb-2012, 12:47 AM
indeed. the last page or so of "I am Legend" when Neville has his epiphany about being the monster is one of the most powerful pieces of writing in any genre. rarely does a horror novella rise to that level of literature.
It's that twist that elevates the story. Without it, it would be just another post-apocalyptic monster story. Maybe Freddie Kruger and Jason Voorhees aren't such bad guys, just misunderstood. :)

shootemindehead
18-Feb-2012, 03:25 AM

Aye, the Vincent Price one isn't bad, but I'd really like a good update of the book.

Mike70
18-Feb-2012, 03:37 AM
Aye, the Vincent Price one isn't bad, but I'd really like a good update of the book.

i would too but i have serious doubts about todays hollywood being able to expose their main character/hero for most of the movie as the bad guy. that makes people in expensive suits very nervous over here.

shootemindehead
18-Feb-2012, 10:35 PM
Aye, I would doubt it too.

it's nice to dream though. :D

Neil
20-Feb-2012, 09:02 AM
i would too but i have serious doubts about todays hollywood being able to expose their main character/hero for most of the movie as the bad guy. that makes people in expensive suits very nervous over here.

American Psycho was a clear example of this in action though :)

shootemindehead
20-Feb-2012, 05:40 PM
Aye, but even that was neutered considerably.

Mike70
20-Feb-2012, 09:12 PM
American Psycho was a clear example of this in action though :)

point conceded. though shootem' is right - considerably toned down from what i remember from book to film.

Christopher Jon
20-Feb-2012, 11:46 PM
would too but i have serious doubts about todays hollywood being able to expose their main character/hero for most of the movie as the bad guy. that makes people in expensive suits very nervous over here.
When your spending 150 million to make the film plus an additional 20-40 million for advertising, taking risks isn't a popular idea.

Could always crowdsource to make a faithful adaptation. Shoot it in Detroit, it's already post apocalyptic America.

acealive1
21-Feb-2012, 12:05 AM
the one with heston really sucked but people praised it to no end. the villians werent even really that at all

Neil
21-Feb-2012, 08:10 AM
the one with heston really sucked but people praised it to no end. the villians werent even really that at all

"The Omega Man", IMHO is the best adaptation thus far of "I Am Legend". It of course wonders far away from the original story, but for pure apocalytpic entertainment, I love it. Of course if feels somewhat dated - having a very 70s vibe - but that doesn't bother me :)

Not sure what, "the villians werent even really that at all," means?

ps: I even pay homage to it in my fiction contribution "The Midas Touch" with the TV presenter dialogue.