PDA

View Full Version : Contains Spoilers! How did Sophia....? (2x07 major spoiler)

Andy
22-Feb-2012, 09:42 PM
7SV9hS14_5Q

The point about glenn is a REALLY good point actually, i never even considered that.

Eyebiter
22-Feb-2012, 10:11 PM
The thread title is a major spoiler for those that haven't seen the episode.

rongravy
23-Feb-2012, 12:10 AM
The thread title is a major spoiler for those that haven't seen the episode.
I dunno. I almost feel like if you're not even that caught up in the show, then you deserve spoilage if you're hanging around here.
I'd say once an episode is aired on both sides of the pond it should be fair game after the next episode has rolled around. But that's just me...
I have to admit opening those spoiler thangies is like finding dvd easter eggs. I get all goosepimply when I see one.

The only one I really harped on as it was happening was Glen not seeing her in the barn when he had a bird's eye view of it. I know it was kind of dark, but still. Maybe the shock of it all blanked him out, who knows? The rest I'd have to go back and rewatch before I agreed or not.

bassman
23-Feb-2012, 12:30 AM
This is what you call over thinking it. It's fun to pick things apart, but at the end of the day it's still a television series with certain boundries....

shootemindehead
23-Feb-2012, 12:41 AM
The only one I really harped on as it was happening was Glen not seeing her in the barn when he had a bird's eye view of it. I know it was kind of dark, but still. Maybe the shock of it all blanked him out, who knows? The rest I'd have to go back and rewatch before I agreed or not.

There could have been blind spots from where he was looking. It's certainly possible that he could have missed her.

AcesandEights
23-Feb-2012, 01:24 AM
There could have been blind spots from where he was looking. It's certainly possible that he could have missed her.

Yeah, we tossed this out during the original conversation. It has the benefit of making a lot of sense.

toxic
23-Feb-2012, 02:28 AM
The general theme of the show is that Shane is a cynic (and is usually right) while Rick wants to believe the best about people.

Second hypothesis: what if Herschel's daughter found the girl? She doesn't want the people to leave because she is in love, so keeping them around for as long as possible is to her benefit. She also could tell herself that they would kill Sophia if they found her, and rationalize putting her in the barn that way, since she at least half believes in Herschel's delusion. Since she is the one who feeds them, wouldn't she have noticed the freshly dead young girl at some point? Kinda odd she didn't mention that there was a clearly fresh young girl zombie in the barn, huh?

She doesn't tell Herschel because that would ruin her plan, since he wants them gone and Sophia is the only thing keeping them around.

So Shane is kind of right in that Herschel's family was hiding Sophia, but he's actually not paranoid enough, and Rick is right for the wrong reason.

Fun stuff, huh?

Thorn
23-Feb-2012, 03:25 AM
Show developers already clarified Otis put her in the barn.

toxic
23-Feb-2012, 03:49 AM
Show developers already clarified Otis put her in the barn.

May way is much cooler. And it ain't settled until its on the show. I hope they have second thoughts about it, since there are several more dramatic theories than "Otis forgot to mention it". Also, the video has a point; that's a non-fatal bite. She wouldn't have turned from it in the day between when she is lost and when Otis would have had to have found her. Geographically I'm also pretty sure that Otis finding her doesn't make a tremendous amount of sense. But I'm probably over reading it.

It's interesting given her bite that the zombie they dissected had fresh blood on its mouth but the woodchuck they thought was the source was pretty well rotten...

sandrock74
23-Feb-2012, 06:08 AM
This is what you call over thinking it. It's fun to pick things apart, but at the end of the day it's still a television series with certain boundries....

Bingo! Exactly what I was going to say.

Exactly right. Glenn only got a partial view of the barn and briefly at that. Sophia could have easily been standing directly underneath him. I've been in several barns in my life time, and the one thing they all had in common? Blind spots.

SymphonicX
23-Feb-2012, 09:17 AM
I've been in several barns in my life time, and the one thing they all had in common? Blind spots.

Personally I'd have thought the one thing they all had in common was hay....lol

yeah she's a little kid - look how tiny she is...then add the fact that Glenn saw a barn full of the undead which he was NOT expecting, so that would totally have shat him up. So many reasons why Sophia wasn't spotted at that particular moment.

Let's not also forget that even Sophia as a corpse wasn't particularly extroverted - she was the last one out of the barn....she'd have been one of those hiding zombies like the maintenance man in Dawn of the Dead.

kidgloves
23-Feb-2012, 10:23 AM
Nicotero said they had actually written a flashback scene with Otis wrangling Sophia but it got discarded during script development and they never shot it.

Thorn
23-Feb-2012, 02:50 PM
Nicotero said they had actually written a flashback scene with Otis wrangling Sophia but it got discarded during script development and they never shot it.

This.

There is no mystery guys, it is what it is.

bassman
23-Feb-2012, 03:26 PM
This video claims that she couldn't have changed yet because of the time it took Amy and Jim to turn in 104/105. Dr Jenner says in 106 that they've seen people turn within minutes and some within days. Not everyone will reanimate at the same rate, so one really can't be compared with another.

Also as Thorn says....I don't think it's any mystery how she got there. They've made it clear that Otis put her there, but I guess some people can't see the forest because of the trees....

Thorn
23-Feb-2012, 06:31 PM
this video claims that she couldn't have changed yet because of the time it took amy and jim to turn in 104/105. Dr jenner says in 106 that they've seen people turn within minutes and some within days. Not everyone will reanimate at the same rate, so one really can't be compared with another.

Also as thorn says....i don't think it's any mystery how she got there. They've made it clear that otis put her there, but i guess some people can't see the forest because of the trees....

this!

Trin
23-Feb-2012, 06:45 PM
This is what you call over thinking it. It's fun to pick things apart, but at the end of the day it's still a television series with certain boundries....When did you go and develop a life? :p

AcesandEights
23-Feb-2012, 07:07 PM
When did you go and develop a life? :p

Bassman grew his from a collection of spores, molds and fungus. I'm certain of it :p

bassman
23-Feb-2012, 07:58 PM
Bassman grew his from a collection of spores, molds and fungus. I'm certain of it :p

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/bale_and_kermit.gif

Thorn
24-Feb-2012, 12:43 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/bale_and_kermit.gif

Love this!

Wyldwraith
02-Mar-2012, 10:05 PM
Only one point really seemed to BEG an answer,
The bite on Sophia's shoulder is clearly the full dental impression of the upper & lower rows of teeth. I'll forego why the entire chunk of shoulder-flesh wasn't removed if a Walker had that good a bite angle on her shoulder in favor of this:

The video is right that for a bite like Sophia's to happen it's everything but 100% certain that the Walker who did it is a) Substantially larger than Sophia, and b) Obviously had her pretty well caught. There's only 3 theories I've been able to devise to explain how Sophia escaped from this encounter to be found elsewhere.

1) The Walker who bit her shoulder either doesn't have arms, or if it does those arms are significantly-to-completely unusable.
2) A 2nd Walker unintentionally dislodged the 1st biting Walker in its zeal to take a chunk out of Sophia itself, and she subsequently escaped the encounter to be found later by Otis. Given where Daryl found Sophia's doll, given the presence of 2 Walkers in that creek (the ones that attacked him while he was unconscious), and given the known tendency for some Walkers to simply "go dormant" in a given area when prey is absent, this theory...as unlikely and multi-conditional as it is, explains finding the doll and Sophia ending up bitten but (relatively) intact for Otis to later find elsewhere. If you want to stretch it even further, nothing about said theory precludes a sick, injured but still-living Sophia from having taken shelter in the cupboard Daryl found. Given Jim's symptoms, somewhere to remain as still as possible, hydrated and sheltered might've been very appealing to an ever-sicker and terrified Sophia.
3) Some human (perhaps Otis, but there seems to be logistical obstacles to that) came upon Sophia as she was being attacked and terminated the biting Walker before it could do anymore damage, yet for some reason Sophia didn't go with this hypothetical human. (Unlikely I know, but technically not beyond the realm of possibility.)

SRP76
02-Mar-2012, 11:41 PM
How did she get in the barn? She shambled in, obviously.

bassman
03-Mar-2012, 12:10 AM
Wyld....do you ever enjoy this show at face value? Not everything has a deeper meaning, you know?

Sammich
03-Mar-2012, 01:31 AM
All that is visible must grow beyond itself and extend into the real of the invisible.

Wyldwraith
03-Mar-2012, 07:03 PM
Of course I do,
The face-value digging of the show happens like anyone else, except when I notice unusual/thought-provoking/strange/unexplained details which I quickly file away mentally and go back to watching the show. It's not until after I've gotten my viewer-fix of the new episode that I move on to Phase 2 of the enjoying-TWD process. Ie: Speculation, consideration and analysis...which ends in opinion-forming that becomes the other 50% of my reaction to what I've seen (the 1st 50% obviously being the emotional/visceral at-the-time viewing experience).

Then there's the fun of kicking ideas/speculations/theories/reactions/opinions back and forth with all our fellow Undead-heads here.

And yes, not everything has a deeper meaning, but writer-fiat/deus ex machina plot devices are like loose threads to my brain. I can't help but tugging on them to see what happens ;)

P.S: Didn't that video (which was, incidentally, quite thought-provoking) make you want to know more about Sophia's last 24-48hrs amongst the living? They WERE good questions, after all.

rongravy
04-Mar-2012, 02:34 AM
That would've been nice if they'd been able to do an episode or more webisodes of Sophia's time after she disappeared. Too bad that kid was growing like a weed. It'd be cool to know what really happened to her.