PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3

MikePizzoff
30-Jun-2006, 08:14 PM
I just picked up the Limited Collectors Edition of Doom 3 (the one with the Halo 2-esque tin case) for $17. It rules... not only is there Doom 3 but it also has Ultimate Doom and Doom II on it!!!

Doom 3 is such a kick-ass game. I keep getting the crap scared out of me. I know I'm way behind on the times and most of you have probably already beaten it three or more times... but whatever. Does anybody NOT like this game?

general tbag
01-Jul-2006, 04:05 AM
to much hype in my books, had good gfx and all but lacked in gameplay.

Rottedfreak
01-Jul-2006, 07:42 AM
Imagine playing this game using the Wii controller. After seeing it in action it would make a good addition.

MinionZombie
01-Jul-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm in the "Love Doom 3" camp, I got it back in 2004 and yeah, I was sh*t-scared all the way through playing it, I had to talk to myself to keep me not-so-scared and my housemates thought I was going mental or something ... then they did mushrooms (I didn't so I could film it all go down, it was hilarious) and after a few hours I went off to play some more Doom 3. Then one of my housemates (still nuts on mushrooms) came to find me (because he couldn't handle being in a room full of shroom heads without me there, lol) and he saw me playing Doom 3 and he leapt out of his skin - "HOW CAN YOU PLAY THIS GAME!!!???" he yelped before running away, begging for me to come down and sit with him, lol.

As for the game, it was old school style, which I liked. The style of the game was excellent, superb sound design, creepy-as-f*ck atmosphere and just flat out fun. I've been through it four times, most of the scares have worn off as I know where the "jump moments" are, but I still get creeped out and can really only manage two levels in a row before quitting for a while. Also, check out Resurrection Of Evil (the add-on game), that's good.

Danny
01-Jul-2006, 02:58 PM
i didnt like it too mutch im a half life 2 man meself.

and wahts up with metal tins, in the half life 2 one you got counter strike and a half life 2 shirt now that was worth it but just a metal case?, thats a rip off in my book.*nods knowingly*:cool:

Craig
03-Jul-2006, 04:08 PM
I don't know why I never bought this game ages ago, probably the graphics that made me shun away from it... I might get it for XBox, what d'ya think? Does it have the same feel on XBox?

MinionZombie
03-Jul-2006, 06:05 PM
I'll be an FPS Nazi and say that FPS games ONLY work on PC with a keyboard and mouse. :D

Obviously on Xbox you're not going to get the resolution you can get on PC, but apart from that I've heard it comes up to snuff quite well, so I say give it a razz, you'll get it pretty cheap now, especially as it's for Xbox (don't think they've done a 360 version anyway).

Craig
04-Jul-2006, 05:14 PM
I'd get it for PC but the £9.99 price for the XBox is too much to resist.

MinionZombie
04-Jul-2006, 06:44 PM
You should be able to find it that cheap for PC though, it's been out since August 2004 after all - and with PC you get the ability to add mods - such as the duct tape mod so you can have a light AND your gun at the same time. :cool:

OddDNA
04-Jul-2006, 09:57 PM
when I play FPS's that is why I had to limit my ROFG time to a min.

Danny
04-Jul-2006, 10:27 PM
you know i never have any problems with games like that .ever. but after the first time i played condemned on the 360 i felt all dizzy like id been on a rollercoaster or something and that was freaky.

MinionZombie
05-Jul-2006, 09:48 AM
I felt a little bit iffy after Condemned as well ... and I too have never had any motion sickness problems with FPS games ... which is strange cos I used to get motion sickness on long journeys in cars - but that was as a passenger, so driving must have helped me get over it.

But then again, it could also be with breathing clean air. You see, I started getting motion sickness in the mid-90s when my Dad moved to a new job and got a stop-gap company car before he got his proper one, we called it "The FEG", it was a Rover 825 (which was quite swish back then, ministers were given them as company cars too) ... anyway, the guy who had it before had be a HEAVY as f*ck smoker so it had that fuggy smell and feel - hence "The FEG" (which were the last 3 letters of the plates) ... anyway, after we got rid of that in favour of a BMW (hard as sh*t ride) we found out it had been leaking carbon monoxide into the cabin, so we'd all been getting 'mildly poisoned' ... which is nice.

So for quite a few years after that I had motion sickness, but I've noticed since I've been doing more driving that it's pretty much gone now, so psychologically I must have linked driving as a passenger to the carbon monoxide poisoning - kind of like A Clockwork Orange ... but it's worn off now it seems, which is nice.

Quite off the topic of Doom 3 (woo! me likey likey), but just cos you were on about FPS motion sickness...yeah I get none of that...mind you, when I got Quake 4 last year I played it ALL DAY and after than I felt a bit rough, not to mention when I closed my eyes I could see and hear what I had been playing ... spooky.

p2501
06-Jul-2006, 01:04 PM
to much hype in my books, had good gfx and all but lacked in gameplay.

perfect assessment.

i frickin hated Doom 3.

MinionZombie
06-Jul-2006, 01:10 PM
The problem for the haters, I think, mostly is that it's an old school FPS - it is afterall a remake of Doom 1. These days everyone is creaming over Half Life and Halo and suchlike (and rightly so), which means classic style "blast the f*cker" gameplay is out the window for many people.

Painkiller is such an example, it's literally level after level of killing loads of bad guys. It goes on far too long, but it had sweet graphics and was quite fun for a "run around 'n' gun around" sesh, mind you the add-on game for it sucked.

So with that in mind, Doom 3 was much better than Painkiller, cos D3 had amazing sound design, was scary as sh*t, looked better and had better looking levels (even though they were quite straight forward - but underneath all of Half Life 2's fancy pants, the levels there are pretty straight forward when you think about it, they just had more distractions along the way).

bassman
06-Jul-2006, 01:38 PM
Doom 3 was the last game I purchased and played on my Xbox. Well....it was either that or "San Andreas". But anyway, "Doom 3" was a great game. Loads of fun.

I would probably still be playing it if my Xbox hadn't stopped reading games. I have the same edition with the tin case and it's great to be able to play "Doom 2" and "Ultimate Doom". The original "Doom" is classic....

I just wish the "Doom" movie was taken more along the lines of "Doom 3" and was made alittle less....mainstream. They're never called demons and nothing is ever mentioned about the gateway to hell:( .

MinionZombie
06-Jul-2006, 06:09 PM
Yeah the Doom movie was a disappointment, way too long, they cut out all references to Hell and replaced it with *sigh* Hollywood political correctness police's favourite - genetic engineering - through in some ropey ass dialogue and one great sequence amidst a mound of mainly tosh and there you go.

general tbag
06-Jul-2006, 08:49 PM
me i just dont like id games the engines they use really lack in the physics department. great gfx though. the only game i really liked of there was rtcw , and just the beach level in multi. and that wasnt designed by them, but greymatter.

the halo franchise is one heaping pile of turd in my books. i bought my xbox for it, as it was proclaimed as the goldeneye-n64 killer . not even close.

CoinReturn
06-Jul-2006, 08:54 PM
I'm in the "Doom III was good, not great" camp. It was cool, and the graphics were phenomenal, but there were too many cheap scares and similar enviornments. If you wanna see the Doom III engine used in a more original way, download the Prey demo for PC or 360. Lots of cool little touches in that game, and its from the creators of Duke Nukem. Now if they'd just release Duke Nukem Forever...

MinionZombie
06-Jul-2006, 09:26 PM
Indeed, Prey is frickin' awesome, I loved it and you really do get that Duke Nukem vibe (mainly from the player character's one liners chipping in here and there). The puzzles relating to which way up you're standing and switching gravity around are really, really cool too.