PDA

View Full Version : Cabin In The Woods (film)

Knighty
09-Mar-2012, 03:39 PM
Won tickets to an advance screening tonight to see Joss Whedon's Cabin In The Woods, supposedly a twisty modern take on the old 'teens alone in a forest' horror.

Very much looking forward to it as a big fan of Whedon and have purposely avoided all info on it ( not even seen the trailer ) . Know it's been getting some mixed reviews though.

AcesandEights
09-Mar-2012, 03:53 PM
Congrats on winning the tickets, Knighty! I'm aware of the film, but haven't seen much about it.

Let us now what you think.

slickwilly13
09-Mar-2012, 05:04 PM
I just watched the trailer and lost interest in viewing this over-hyped movie. It looks like a cliched mess.

JDFP
09-Mar-2012, 06:04 PM
I've had this film in my Netflix queue for about the last 2 years. You mean it's finally being released? I'm shocked! Here's another one to add to the 3rd Annual Halloween Horror Marathon later this year.

Of course, some very good horror films never see the light of day on DVD/Blu-Ray ("All the Boys Love Mandy Lane" - of course, I've got a copy of it anyway, ahem, so no need in worrying regarding that now as the studio just lost a fortune in waiting to release it). Here's hoping that the re-make of "Red Dawn" will actually be released sometime in my life as well as I'm anxiously awaiting that (the original is one of my all time favorites).

j.p.

AcesandEights
09-Mar-2012, 06:33 PM
Here's hoping that the re-make of "Red Dawn" will actually be released sometime in my life as well as I'm anxiously awaiting that (the original is one of my all time favorites).

j.p.

Thought I was the only one who wanted that remake to see the light of day. I don't expect it to be any good, but that just means my expectation levels are optimized for possible enjoyment if I ever do get to see it.

Knighty
10-Mar-2012, 01:35 PM
I just watched the trailer and lost interest in viewing this over-hyped movie. It looks like a cliched mess.

I would say not to watch the trailer, it really doesn't show how the film is at all. Long as you don't read up on it you will not be disappointed.
As for why it's not been released for so long it's because the original Production company (Spyglass I believe) went into administration and only this and Red Dawn survived. That and I think they have delayed released again to coincide with Chris Hemsworth & Whedon's popularity to rise due to the return of Thor in The Avengers .

As for an actual review it's very difficult as I wouldn't want to ruin the film for anyone. The trailer does the film no justice as to actually show you the proper plot would be a spoiler in its self.
Suffice to say the entire film is very Whedon esque ( what with almost the entire cast having worked with him before and the director having written for Buffy) so unless you are a fan of Joss's writing and style you will probably not be a massive fan.
But personally it's one of the best films I've seen in a long time and I didn't see where the film would be going, the cast are spot on and well written and the film is a real love/hate letter to the horror genre. You think you know what's going to happen but you really have no idea.
Go in unprepared and knowing nothing about the film and as a horror fan you will love it

Neil
13-Mar-2012, 10:03 AM
Very +ve review at cinemablend 4.5/5

http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/The-Cabin-in-the-Woods-5775.html

-- -------- Post added 13-Mar-2012 at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-Mar-2012 at 04:35 PM ----------

Love from AICN - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54177

-- -------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

Go in unprepared and knowing nothing about the film and as a horror fan you will love it
Exactly what I plan on doing!

MikePizzoff
12-Apr-2012, 02:15 PM
Hahaha while reading this thread a commercial for it came on TV!

I've been anticipating this movie for quite some time now. Can't remember the last time I was this excited for a horror movie to come out. Hoping to see it during the day some time this weekend!

Neil
12-Apr-2012, 02:22 PM
^^ Give us a (non-spoiler) review please!

Purge
12-Apr-2012, 02:45 PM
Looks muddled as hell--like Cabin Fever, Hostel, The Strangers, and Saw all in one.

MikePizzoff
12-Apr-2012, 03:04 PM
Looks muddled as hell--like Cabin Fever, Hostel, The Strangers, and Saw all in one.

Pretty sure they're dumbing down the trailers to make it look like those movies (in order to draw in the teenage $$$), but it isn't at all.

Knighty
13-Apr-2012, 01:38 PM
Quick non spoiler review - Worth Your Money.

There, done :p

rongravy
13-Apr-2012, 02:15 PM
Dang, this today or the Stooges...
Decisions, decisions.

Neil
13-Apr-2012, 02:55 PM
Dang, this today or the Stooges...
Decisions, decisions.

Stooges? Getting very mixed reviews isn't it?

Knighty
13-Apr-2012, 03:22 PM
Stooges? I know I said above don't judge a film by its trailer but my god Stooges looked awful.

Neil
13-Apr-2012, 03:30 PM
Stooges? I know I said above don't judge a film by its trailer but my god Stooges looked awful.
From what I've seen, there's only two reasons to go and see The Three Stooges, and they're both owned by Kate Upton! :)

Tricky
15-Apr-2012, 07:38 PM

Thats kind of the point, go see it and you'll understand why ;)
I went to see it last night and I thought it was great, very clever take on any of the "teen horror" films you've ever seen before & they pulled it off really well. I dont want to spoil it but all I can say is go see it. Theres buckets of gore and zombies for good measure too :D

Neil
15-Apr-2012, 09:08 PM
Seeing it Tue evening...

Tricky
19-Apr-2012, 09:47 PM
So Neil, did you enjoy? :)

MoonSylver
19-Apr-2012, 10:10 PM
I saw it Sunday. Pretty good. Not QUITE as clever as I'd hoped but good. Interesting that that the "twist" is really revealed right up front, it's the WHYS of it all that keep you guessing & waiting for the reveal, although if you're paying attention, it's pretty easily figured out. It did have some clever examination of the "teen slasher" horror formula & used it in a new & interesting way.

MikePizzoff
20-Apr-2012, 03:23 AM
Saw it tonight. Absolutely f*cking loved it! Haven't had that much fun with a movie in a very long time. Going into it with as little knowledge as possible was a great move.

I feel like the majority of horror buffs will love it. However, people that are kind of into horror or indifferent about the genre, generally won't enjoy it as much or "get" it.

Gotta go in expecting a [super] fun movie experience - not something that will be serious and scare the pants off of you.

Neil
21-Apr-2012, 07:46 AM
I enjoyed it. Sort of felt like a more adult supercharged buffy episode :)

rongravy
21-Apr-2012, 02:59 PM
I saw it last night. Pretty dang sweeet.
It felt like it was over too fast.

Knighty
22-Apr-2012, 02:10 PM
I would recommend the Visual Guide to the film, complete story ideas and backstories to many of the things seen in the film ;)

AcesandEights
22-Apr-2012, 07:39 PM
Wow, overall more favorable responses on this than I would have guessed. I'm looking forward to catching it eventually, now.

rongravy
23-Apr-2012, 08:04 PM
Wow, overall more favorable responses on this than I would have guessed. I'm looking forward to catching it eventually, now.
Well, it did have zombies in it.

I would recommend the Visual Guide to the film, complete story ideas and backstories to many of the things seen in the film ;)
And where would this be found?

Knighty
23-Apr-2012, 08:15 PM
A shop that sells books or as we Brit's call them 'bookshops' or online ;) . I believe Amazon have it.

Rumsfeld
24-Apr-2012, 11:36 PM
I don't know. I'm skeptical about seeing this.

MikePizzoff
01-May-2012, 12:42 PM
It's funny how people cry and scream for no more remakes and more original shit, but then something original comes along and everyone says "I'm not seeing that."

I'm telling all of you skeptics - the movie is marketed as a teen Hostel/Cabin Fever movie. However, marketing teams get paid to skew trailers in order to attract specific audiences.

I'll leave you at that.

shootemindehead
15-Sep-2012, 12:43 AM
To quote the fella to the left "IS THIS THE SHIT THAT'S SUPPOSED TO KNOCK OUR SOCKS OFF?"

What a pile of overrated crap. Not half as smart as it thinks it is and it's just Whedon taking something that's been done already ('Scream') and dicking about. I can't stand this git, I really can't. But what's worse is how everything he does is feted as some sort of greatness.

This cabin is a woodworm infested shack that the estate agent has hyped as a nice "fixer-uper".

VERY disappointed. But then, it's Whedon...so I should have known better. I suppose I only have myself to blame.

It's the last chance he's getting out of me.

Simply cannot believe the good words being written about this from various quarters.

MoonSylver
15-Sep-2012, 01:43 AM
^^^>>> :| :bored: (< Me, unsurprised.) :lol: :D :nana:

krisvds
15-Sep-2012, 04:37 AM
I'm with shoot'em. Simply cannot understand all the love for this film.

It is seriously not funny ( for a satire, that's a bit of a problem), not scary ( for a horrorfilm, that's not good), is devoid of all suspense (ditto), is filled to the brim with dodgy CGI and isn't as smart as it thinks it is.
In fact, it's the dumbest piece of shit I've seen in a long time. I tries to be a love letter to the genre that mocks all the well known clichés but doesn't do anything with that concept apart from filling the film to the brim with the very dam old, tired conventions. Like a snake finally biting it's own arse so to speak. It felt contrived in Scream and it does so now. I don't like all this meta-bullshit. If this overhyped shitfest is supposed to be among the best the genre has to offer nowadays we're a long way from the seventies/eighties.

Who is this Whedon anyway? Feels like the annoying prick back in highschool constantly raising his finger. 'I know the answer, teacher, I know the answer...' Kid thinks he's smart, gets on everybody's nerves.

Neil
17-Sep-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm with shoot'em. Simply cannot understand all the love for this film.

It is seriously not funny ( for a satire, that's a bit of a problem), not scary ( for a horrorfilm, that's not good), is devoid of all suspense (ditto), is filled to the brim with dodgy CGI and isn't as smart as it thinks it is.
In fact, it's the dumbest piece of shit I've seen in a long time. I tries to be a love letter to the genre that mocks all the well known clichés but doesn't do anything with that concept apart from filling the film to the brim with the very dam old, tired conventions. Like a snake finally biting it's own arse so to speak. It felt contrived in Scream and it does so now. I don't like all this meta-bullshit. If this overhyped shitfest is supposed to be among the best the genre has to offer nowadays we're a long way from the seventies/eighties.

Who is this Whedon anyway? Feels like the annoying prick back in highschool constantly raising his finger. 'I know the answer, teacher, I know the answer...' Kid thinks he's smart, gets on everybody's nerves.

I enjoyed the flick, but wasn't blown away but it.

And as for who's "Whedon?" I've two words for you! Buffy! Firefly!

shootemindehead
17-Sep-2012, 11:02 AM
Alien Resurrection

nuff said...

LouCipherr
17-Sep-2012, 01:29 PM
I've seen this flick (although haven't commented on it 'till now).

Let's just say this one deserved it's own "I have shamed myself...." thread, but I never bothered to write it up because... well... it would've been a large waste of my time. Yes, even more so than the other "shamed myself" flicks. How sad is that? :lol:

clanglee
18-Sep-2012, 07:54 AM
Wow. . I'm in the loved it camp myself. But not surprised it didn't appeal to everyone. Ahhh well, to each his own.

Mike70
18-Sep-2012, 04:09 PM
Wow. . I'm in the loved it camp myself. But not surprised it didn't appeal to everyone. Ahhh well, to each his own.

it's a Clang sighting! quick someone trip him before he gets away...:lol:

clanglee
19-Sep-2012, 10:28 AM
it's a Clang sighting! quick someone trip him before he gets away...:lol:

:lol: I'm still around on occasion man. Just not much gumption to post recently . . . Busy ya know . . . And lazy

MikePizzoff
19-Sep-2012, 10:31 AM
Like I said before (I think), the majority of those who loved it are massive horror fans (particularly 80's), whereas those who hated it are casual horror fans. Thus, I get why some people don't like it.

That said, I still absolutely love it.

LouCipherr
19-Sep-2012, 12:38 PM
Like I said before (I think), the majority of those who loved it are massive horror fans (particularly 80's), whereas those who hated it are casual horror fans. Thus, I get why some people don't like it.

Perhaps, but that's not the case with me. The only reason I say that is, I'm a massive 80's horror fan, and I think this movie was just terrible. In fact, the ending became so ludicrous and completely stupid, my brain has tried to erase it from memory only to fail and fail again.

It's certainly a polarizing movie, that's for sure. There seems to be no middle ground.

krisvds
19-Sep-2012, 03:19 PM
Perhaps, but that's not the case with me. The only reason I say that is, I'm a massive 80's horror fan, and I think this movie was just terrible. In fact, the ending became so ludicrous and completely stupid, my brain has tried to erase it from memory only to fail and fail again.

It's certainly a polarizing movie, that's for sure. There seems to be no middle ground.

Same here, actually. I'm a 70s/80s horror fan myself and just didn't 'get' this film. I don't mind comedy in horror films, thoroughly enjoyed Bad taste, Evil dead 2, Braindead, ROTLD and so on. But this movie, ... Sorry, no. Actually being a horror fan and recognising all the little winks and nods to classic films made this film even worse.

shootemindehead
19-Sep-2012, 06:40 PM
Um, me neither. I'm so absorbed with the genre that picking out the references was relatively easy. In fact, I probably picked out more horror movie references than the majority of Whedonites that this film is mainly aimed at.

The problem with the film for me is that it just didn't work on either level. It's not funny and it's not horror. As much as I despise the "horror-comedy" sub-genre, I am always willing to give such films a chance and on the odd occasion (very odd occasion) you get one that works, like 'Shaun of the Dead'. But, most of the time they are UTTER CRAP.

Not that 'The Cabin in the Woods' is utter crap, but it certainly isn't the genre-changing masterpiece that some ejits are calling it. Mainly, these are the same people that think Whedon shits gold.

I can't help feeling that if they'd got to the lift/underground sequence much earlier, then it would have been better, but it wouldn't have saved the film for me. In the end it's just more Whedon hipster drivel. I guess if your a fan of the atrocious 'Buffy', then you'll like it.

Not that that's a problem. if people like Whedon's stuff, then more power to them, I say.

JDFP
27-Sep-2012, 11:43 PM
I just recently saw this, and all I have to say is that this was probably one of the greatest horror films I've seen in the last decade. I was completely blown away by it - and that's not something that occurs with me seeing a film (and God knows especially a horror film) very often. I was actually surprised by how damn well done it was.

Okay, was it or was it not Cthulhu? My basic taking from the film was that it was a beautiful homage to The Cthulhu mythos.

j.p.

MoonSylver
28-Sep-2012, 03:56 AM
I just recently saw this, and all I have to say is that this was probably one of the greatest horror films I've seen in the last decade. I was completely blown away by it - and that's not something that occurs with me seeing a film (and God knows especially a horror film) very often. I was actually surprised by how damn well done it was.

Okay, was it or was it not Cthulhu? My basic taking from the film was that it was a beautiful homage to The Cthulhu mythos.

j.p.

Not necessarily The Great Old One Himself, but as you say, an homage no doubt

Glad to see you, ya old reprobate. I was wondering when you'd turn up. :D

EvilNed
25-Oct-2012, 08:40 PM
I just saw it, and I really dug it.

That scene when the elevators opened... Damn.

aaron2
23-Nov-2012, 05:24 AM
I am a great fan of Joss Whedon but i think this movie is not getting reviews like all his other work gets..But will be great if you give us the review:)