PDA

View Full Version : Chernobyl Diaries (film)

Neil
16-Mar-2012, 05:38 PM
P7ZTLckhg_g

MinionZombie
16-Mar-2012, 06:00 PM
As Danny can atest to, you say "Chernobyl", and I come running with my morbid fascination with the place...

Was a little "hmmm" when I saw the preview image connecting it to the Paranormal Activity dude, but I see it's more of a 'produced/presented by' situation, and indeed - thankfully - not a 'found footage' jobby. This could be really predictable, or it could be really cool, but just for taking place in Chernobyl (and seemingly being partly filmed there) this is a must-watch for me. Thanks for the heads-up ... I hadn't even heard of this flick until just now.

Neil
16-Mar-2012, 06:35 PM
^^ Knew you'd be first to bite this :)

MinionZombie
16-Mar-2012, 07:08 PM
^^ Knew you'd be first to bite this :)

:D

I've even downloaded the trailer in HD so I can look at it more closely, repeatedly. :p

Neil
16-Mar-2012, 07:32 PM
:d

i've even downloaded the trailer in hd so i can look at it more closely, repeatedly. :p

lol!!

EvilNed
16-Mar-2012, 07:59 PM
MZ, did you see the Universal Soldier film set there? It was actually very good for being a fifth installment.

bassman
16-Mar-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm going to see this right after I watch Paranormal Activity again!

Which is never....

Sammich
17-Mar-2012, 07:24 AM
Man, how MANY TIMES are they going to make the same "idiot couples go somewhere they shouldn't to do stupid things that gets them killed" movie? What will the sequel be? A group of college friends vacationing in Japan decide to skydive into Fukushima to have some sauna time in reactor #4's spent fuel rod pool?

MinionZombie
17-Mar-2012, 11:44 AM
MZ, did you see the Universal Soldier film set there? It was actually very good for being a fifth installment.

Aye I have. It had some good action, but the plot was a tad sketchy in the talky parts - however it was pretty good. Technically it's the third film in the series (there were two 'side sequels' that didn't follow the main flow, and then there was the proper sequel with Van Damme ... which was kinda, hmmm ... and now this latest one, which yeah, was pretty decent). :)

Danny
25-Mar-2012, 05:00 PM
well that looks like dogshit, but of course im going to bloody watch it. mumbling 'get out of here stalker' under my breath as i do :lol:

MinionZombie
25-Mar-2012, 05:30 PM
well that looks like dogshit, but of course im going to bloody watch it. mumbling 'get out of here stalker' under my breath as i do :lol:

And like three times in a row, everytime some shifty looking Stalker happens to walk by on their way to the bar. :sneaky::D

I'm reserving judgement until I've seen it - like I've said, it could be shit, or it could be pretty creepy ... will just have to see when I get around to seeing it.

acealive1
08-Apr-2012, 03:56 PM

actually third because the other films save for the original and part 2 were made without consent of the original writer. so they're nearly black market.

JDFP
08-Apr-2012, 04:23 PM
This is definitely in my Netflix queue (along with 245 other films that are "saved" that haven't come out yet I want to see).

I think I'll save this one for Halloween this year or maybe next year if it's not released by Halloween.

j.p.

MikePizzoff
08-Apr-2012, 11:29 PM
Looks like shit, but I'm a complete sucker for abandoned stuff (as some of you know), so I'll be seeing it for sure.

Rumsfeld
19-Apr-2012, 05:18 PM
I hope that in the next ten years people (like me) start to write more scripts that derail from the traditional couple gets lost and finds something crazy and everyone dies but one person routine. Originality has been lost for some time now and we need to change that.

Danny
19-Apr-2012, 05:47 PM
I hope that in the next ten years people (like me) start to write more scripts that derail from the traditional couple gets lost and finds something crazy and everyone dies but one person routine. Originality has been lost for some time now and we need to change that.

Well its not so much lack of originality but lack of creativity. Originality in horror is literally none existent. it is a 6 point narrative of mental of physical isolation followed by a predetermined series of plot events leading to a resolution. Thats not changed for centuries and wont change anymore than less than 6 of them any time soon.
Its what you tell with the structure, not the structure itself that makes a film good. Look at a lot of the greats, incredible basic plots, but its the execution and subtext that makes it shine.

Rumsfeld
21-Apr-2012, 05:46 PM
Danny, I should have switched originality for creativity. Great observation.

Neil
25-May-2012, 09:52 AM
Oh dear - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55988

However, the real failing of this movie falls at the feet of Oren Peli, whose original story is the basis for CHERNOBYL DIARIES and who had a hand in penning the screenplay with Carey and Shane Van Dyke. This trio gives no life to any of the characters they’ve created making for a horror movie not only lacking horror but also personality. If you’re not having fun watching a horror movie, then there’s something seriously wrong… and there’s plenty seriously wrong with this flick. But is there any sin worse than making a horror film boring? I'm not quite sure about that.

LouCipherr
25-May-2012, 12:16 PM

Which is never....

:lol:

I have to agree with bass on this one. DO. NOT. WANT.

Mike70
25-May-2012, 02:04 PM

Which is never....

i'll probably give this a watch sooner or later (probably later). i did just sit through a movie about genetically altered tree sap turning people into zombies-seriously and no shit; Chiller is unleashing some movies that are sooooooooo bad they have to be seen to be believed. if i can make it through that, i'm sure this will be a breeze to watch.

AcesandEights
25-May-2012, 02:23 PM
i did just sit through a movie about genetically altered tree sap turning people into zombies-seriously and no shit; Chiller is unleashing some movies that are sooooooooo bad they have to be seen to be believed. if i can make it through that, i'm sure this will be a breeze to watch.

Hey, I liked Severed! :) That was still early in the Zombie fad/re-emergence and it was decent for my viewing pleasure ca. '05.

MinionZombie
25-May-2012, 02:27 PM
Oh dear - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55988

Bummer. It looked atmospheric as all get-out, I'll see it eventually, but I won't be seeing this in the cinema (never would have, mind you), but this has put me off getting the DVD.

Saw some bother on the net recently where a Chernobyl charity kicked up a fuss about this movie, saying it was disrespectful etc, and well - clearly they've not heard of the STALKER franchise of videogames. :shifty:

Mike70
25-May-2012, 04:01 PM
Hey, I liked Severed! :) That was still early in the Zombie fad/re-emergence and it was decent for my viewing pleasure ca. '05.

:lol: it's the whole "tree sap" plot device that i can't get around. i will admit that it is a bit more imaginative than the usual reason given for zombie outbreaks.

Sammich
25-May-2012, 09:13 PM
I actually liked Severed because it had an original story compared to the usual rehashed formula crap of:

[Cue loud irritating hipster music]
Obligatory opening scene of a university campus.

A group of frat boys and sorority girls decide to go on a vacation.

One of the frat boys is an obnoxious nobhead whose girlfriend is the stupidest sorority chick

Group gets stranded in a scary location.

Group manages to piss off/summon/release zombies/inbred locals/mutants.

Obnoxious nobhead's girlfriend is the first to get killed and he goes on a temper tantrum blaming everyone else in the group.

Obnoxious nobhead runs off and gets killed.

Group goes on to do stupid things that gets them killed off one at a time.

The only survivor is chick that magically turned into Rambo halfway through the movie.

If you act now, you can get these absolutely free!

Your choice of a "away team red shirt" minority guy- a black gangsta or a nerd asian that gets killed first letting the stupid sorority chick show of her cans one more time before she gets offed.

AND!

You get an ex-army seal special green beret forces super sniper who after doing 5 tours in Nam and 3 in Iraq secretly decided to join the fraternity.

All of this absolutely FREE if you call now!

Purge
28-May-2012, 02:46 PM
Saw CD last night. Rather lame characters and dialogue, but some decent scares. 6/10.

Christopher Jon
28-May-2012, 02:55 PM
A group of frat boys and sorority girls decide to go on a vacation.

One of the frat boys is an obnoxious nobhead whose girlfriend is the stupidest sorority chick

Group gets stranded in a scary location.

Group manages to piss off/summon/release zombies/inbred locals/mutants.

Obnoxious nobhead's girlfriend is the first to get killed and he goes on a temper tantrum blaming everyone else in the group.

Obnoxious nobhead runs off and gets killed.

Group goes on to do stupid things that gets them killed off one at a time.

The only survivor is chick that magically turned into Rambo halfway through the movie
seems legit.