PDA

View Full Version : Saturday the 14th now on Netflix.... why, exactly? :D

LouCipherr
22-Mar-2012, 07:41 PM
So I was digging through Netflix the other day, looking for something to pass the time and I happened to stumble across Saturday the 14th. I haven't seen that movie since it first arrived on home video! I added it to my queue, got about 15 minutes into it and wondered aloud, "why the hell am I watching this? wtf?!"

Anyone else see this, ummmm, "flick"? Weird to say the least. :D

AcesandEights
22-Mar-2012, 07:48 PM
Gotta be honest, I'll have to "MZ" this one and admit to having never seen it. It sounds like another one of those bad Scary parody films, am I wrong?

rongravy
22-Mar-2012, 08:34 PM
What's amazing is there was a sequel.

LouCipherr
23-Mar-2012, 12:23 PM
Gotta be honest, I'll have to "MZ" this one and admit to having never seen it. It sounds like another one of those bad Scary parody films, am I wrong?

Yes, you are correct. Sorta. I don't think it was a "parody" of a particular film, but was certainly a parody of horror films in general. At least it seemed to be. Honestly, as weird as this flick is, it's kinda hard to tell what they were shooting for! :lol:

What's amazing is there was a sequel.

WHAT!?!? There is actually a sequel to this thing?!?! *insert epic facepalm here*

MinionZombie
23-Mar-2012, 05:31 PM

Cheeky bugger. :p

LouCipherr
23-Mar-2012, 06:57 PM
Cheeky bugger. :p

:lol:

So, MZ - have you seen Saturday the 14th? :p :D

MinionZombie
24-Mar-2012, 11:34 AM
:lol:

So, MZ - have you seen Saturday the 14th? :p :D

:lol: Nope. :D

bassman
24-Mar-2012, 12:42 PM
I've never heard of this either. After looking it up on imdb, I'm going to have to give it a shot. It already gave me a laugh that Jeffrey Tambor is in it!

Now if only my wireless router wasn't a piece of sh*t and I could use netflix.....

Mike70
25-Mar-2012, 04:25 PM
I've never heard of this either. After looking it up on imdb, I'm going to have to give it a shot. It already gave me a laugh that Jeffrey Tambor is in it!

Now if only my wireless router wasn't a piece of sh*t and I could use netflix.....

wow. seriously never heard of this? it's a quirky, kinda goofy movie that for some reason i have fond memories of. i'm pretty sure it revolves around richard benjamin's family and the possession of an "evil book."

the one thing i do remember is that the tv will only tune into "twilight zone" episodes.

slickwilly13
25-Mar-2012, 04:46 PM
I may have watched the movie in the early 80's. Does this movie have a gillman with a dorsal fin on its head?

SymphonicX
26-Mar-2012, 10:09 AM
I've seen the original, once....

And I've seen the sequel....once...

when I was about 12 years old I think. I was a massive fan of Friday the 13th by that point, having spent summer holidays literally renting one after the other after the other....

We were lent Saturday the 14th by a neighbour...at the time I specifically remember it made me laugh about one time, and that was more of a snigger, a slight chuckle.

Number 2 was even worse - although I do very specifically remember a guy trying to feed his girlfriend a bit of food after she'd been turned into a lifesized doll, which did make me chuckle.

Awful movie.

shootemindehead
26-Mar-2012, 04:44 PM
A dreadful piece of shite, but it was in every video shop when I was a kid. Remember sort of seeing it, but couldn't tell you anything about it. Vaguely remember the cover of the video having a terribly drawn vampire on the front.

AcesandEights
26-Mar-2012, 05:08 PM
Wait a second, hold the presses! Contrary to my early report, I have seen this movie! In fact, for years I tried to figure out the title of this film as I could only remember the tiniest bits and pieces of it from my childhood.

Thanks, Lou...I was seriously trying to figure out the name of this movie for ages.

SymphonicX
26-Mar-2012, 05:28 PM
A dreadful piece of shite.

My new favourite phrase...next to "you terrible c*nt"

Mike70
26-Mar-2012, 05:47 PM
A dreadful piece of shite, but it was in every video shop when I was a kid. Remember sort of seeing it, but couldn't tell you anything about it. Vaguely remember the cover of the video having a terribly drawn vampire on the front.

no doubt if i were to watch it today, i would also pronounce it a "dreadful piece of shite" (i'm stealing that phrase by the way). granted, i've not seen this since i was like 12 or 13 and now that i really think about it, i don't care to. i've already fucked up enough fond childhood memories by re-watching stuff as an adult. "land of the lost" being at the top of the list.

-- -------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

"you terrible c*nt"

man, you guys throw that word around almost to the point where it has no force. that is the one word and i mean the one word that you do not use in public over here. it is so taboo that it borders on the ridiculous. it is also the easiest way to cause a woman to come literally unglued over here. if you do call a woman that, you'd better be quick at ducking because shit is going to start flying at your head.

SymphonicX
04-Apr-2012, 06:25 PM
man, you guys throw that word around almost to the point where it has no force. that is the one word and i mean the one word that you do not use in public over here. it is so taboo that it borders on the ridiculous. it is also the easiest way to cause a woman to come literally unglued over here. if you do call a woman that, you'd better be quick at ducking because shit is going to start flying at your head.

LOL and there's the pudding and the proof about social taboos. What one culture sees as the most abhorrent word in the English language, another culture shrugs their shoulders, completely uncaring of it's context or meaning....

Which makes you think about a lot of stuff really...how much value we attach to things, that differ culturally and regionally...how one person can be so deeply affected by a word - yet another person could get called it all day and not bat an eyelid.

It's really down to what you as a person attach to the word - how you define it and what images your mind conjures up - also bringing to the fore all your childhood lessons on manners and respectability, and what you have been told is right, and wrong.

It's an interesting element of society - especially as we share the same language (but I would add, that's pretty much all we share culturally) - I cannot fathom how you could be affected by a word like that - yet similarly some people cannot fathom it's use - it simply denotes too much.

Personally, I feel the same way about that you do about the C word as the N word - over here, the N word is worse than the C word even by American standards - and sometimes the veracity with which this culturally agravating word is used in the US astounds me all the time - that to me is an expression of evil. The C word, well the worst you really could call it is vulgar. It's certainly not used to destroy and devalue either a gender or a culture, and certainly never carried the same weight as the N word.

Makes you think eh.

Thread hijack over.

LouCipherr
04-Apr-2012, 08:02 PM
Wait a second, hold the presses! Contrary to my early report, I have seen this movie! In fact, for years I tried to figure out the title of this film as I could only remember the tiniest bits and pieces of it from my childhood.

Thanks, Lou...I was seriously trying to figure out the name of this movie for ages.

Well, I'm glad I could assist! Even if it's pointing you in the direction of a movie you probably didn't want to see again on some level. :lol: :D

AcesandEights
04-Apr-2012, 08:45 PM
Well, I'm glad I could assist! Even if it's pointing you in the direction of a movie you probably didn't want to see again on some level. :lol: :D

Oh, I'll doubt I'll ever watch it. Maybe a few minutes, maybe, but I'm just glad to connect the dots in my memory.

shootemindehead
05-Apr-2012, 09:02 AM
My new favourite phrase...next to "you terrible c*nt"

Ahem...you're welcome. :D

-- -------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

Aye, it's one of the few "words of curse" left that has any real power in it's use. Although, I'm quick to point out that it's usually just chauvinism when women get their knickers in a twist when they hear it. I've said before to the wife when she goes off on one, that if I'd used "prick, dick, balls or bollocks", she wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

And any woman throwing shit at my head better start ducking too, cos it'll be flying back at her.

...and I can throw better, cos I'm a boy :P

LouCipherr
05-Apr-2012, 12:11 PM
Oh, I'll doubt I'll ever watch it. Maybe a few minutes, maybe, but I'm just glad to connect the dots in my memory.

<subliminal> The masochist in you wants to watch this movie again, Aces. Do it. </subliminal>

:D

GRMonLI
11-Apr-2012, 03:04 PM
I am sad to say that I have both of these DVD's in my collection....I bought them early in my DVD collecting!!!!! LOL