PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King's IT (film) - 2017

Neil
09-Jun-2012, 11:02 AM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/56290

The best news? IT will be two films instead of one, and hopefully this will allow the story to breathe. I hope Warners goes for the R instead of the PG-13 with this one, and the mind already wonders at the casting. Who should be Pennywise is probably the most obvious question, and I hope that the writers keep it period (1957 and 1985 instead of 1984 and 2012... which makes me realize that It's time is coming around again...).

IT is a sprawling story, with side trips to as far back as the beginning of time, so two movies may not be able to do the book justice. Also, I know of one controversial scene towards the end that probably won't make it in. I'll keep my ears close to the ground on this one. So is there anyone that can come close to Tim Curry's iconic work here? And who should be cast as the Losers? For some reason I can see Tobey Maguire as Ben Hanscomb and Patton Oswalt as Eddie Kaspbrak... anyone else?

Mike70
09-Jun-2012, 03:41 PM
i'd rather see "It" redone as a miniseries if it has to be remade. i'm not a huge fan of the first one, which i thought suffered from ridiculous casting (aside from tim curry). so, i'm not at all against the idea of revisiting "It." i just think that a 3 part miniseries makes more sense and can cover more ground.

shootemindehead
09-Jun-2012, 04:05 PM
I wonder how faithful any film can be to the original book. Don't the kids start screwing each other at the end? Can't imaging any hollywood production going that far.

In fairness it's going to be be difficult to top Tim Curry as Pennywise. But, I hope Toby MacGuire is never allowed near another film...ever. Can't stand him.

Danny
09-Jun-2012, 05:45 PM
In fairness it's going to be be difficult to top Tim Curry as Pennywise.

This was my very first thought. He is damn near impossible to follow up as an actor.

LouCipherr
11-Jun-2012, 03:35 PM
i'm not a huge fan of the first one, which i thought suffered from ridiculous casting (aside from tim curry). so, i'm not at all against the idea of revisiting "It." i just think that a 3 part miniseries makes more sense and can cover more ground.

This.

The problem with "IT" - for me - was the book is WAY too fucking bloated (in typical King style). While I love the guy and most of his books, IT was a prime example of things gone wrong in King's writings. I don't need 4 chapters of 'flashback' in one kid's life to get acquainted to him and his relationship to the story. It's unnecessary and it screws the pacing of this book. I made it through it, but man, it wasn't an easy task. Someone needs to tell Stephen that TOO MUCH detail can be worse than NOT ENOUGH.

Regardless, I'd love to see this as a miniseries again (casted and shot properly) - but making it "two movies" - that's going to be a big mistake. Cut out all the unnecessary BS and you could easily cover this in one 2-2.5 hour movie. It's gonna be a bit long, but it will work.

rongravy
12-Jun-2012, 12:41 AM
Yeah, but doing it as a TV miniseries means it'll definitely be more PG. I want movies since they'd be able to gore it up and not cut the balls off it.
I'm reading the book again, I like it, but it's pretty drawn out at the beginning.
I'd also like them to redo The Stand, but no miniseries please.

Mike70
12-Jun-2012, 01:19 PM
This.

The problem with "IT" - for me - was the book is WAY too fucking bloated (in typical King style). While I love the guy and most of his books, IT was a prime example of things gone wrong in King's writings. I don't need 4 chapters of 'flashback' in one kid's life to get acquainted to him and his relationship to the story. It's unnecessary and it screws the pacing of this book. I made it through it, but man, it wasn't an easy task. Someone needs to tell Stephen that TOO MUCH detail can be worse than NOT ENOUGH.

Regardless, I'd love to see this as a miniseries again (casted and shot properly) - but making it "two movies" - that's going to be a big mistake. Cut out all the unnecessary BS and you could easily cover this in one 2-2.5 hour movie. It's gonna be a bit long, but it will work.

i'm with you on that. every time i've read one of the man's books, i've thought to myself "does this dude actually have an editor??" there are parts of "It", "the stand", and several other of his books that should've had the red pen of death taken to them. less is always better.

Tricky
12-Jun-2012, 03:37 PM
Yeah, but doing it as a TV miniseries means it'll definitely be more PG. I want movies since they'd be able to gore it up and not cut the balls off it.

I dont know about that nowadays, you've been watching The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones havent you? Gore and boobs all over the joint!

LouCipherr
12-Jun-2012, 03:59 PM
I dont know about that nowadays, you've been watching The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones havent you? Gore and boobs all over the joint!

I think you're right - it just depends on what channel they put the miniseries on.

How about a Showtime or HBO mini-series? THAT would rock. We could get the gore, boobs, and all the language we could handle. :lol:

Mike70
12-Jun-2012, 04:17 PM
How about a Showtime or HBO mini-series? THAT would rock. We could get the gore, boobs, and all the language we could handle. :lol:

yes, indeed. i think that either network could do this up right. in fact, i would prefer that something like "It" be done by a cable network. the creepy sexual undertones that are so important to the book could be explored in a way on cable that network tv might be uncomfortable with.

rongravy
12-Jun-2012, 09:19 PM
Never seen GoT. Is that where the boobage is? Never seen tig ol' bitties on Walking Dead.
I hear you, though. Leave out any sex and keep the gore and language in there and I'm fine with AMC doing it, but HBO sounds better. Who knows?

Btw, how about Crispin Glover as Pennywise? He's weird as get out.

Tricky
13-Jun-2012, 12:59 PM
Never seen GoT. Is that where the boobage is? Never seen tig ol' bitties on Walking Dead.
I hear you, though. Leave out any sex and keep the gore and language in there and I'm fine with AMC doing it, but HBO sounds better. Who knows?

Btw, how about Crispin Glover as Pennywise? He's weird as get out.

There is plenty of boobage on GoT, you should definitely watch it, aside from the bloodthirsty gore and nudity its a bloody good series too, immense storytelling!

krisvds
13-Jun-2012, 04:53 PM
yes, indeed. i think that either network could do this up right. in fact, i would prefer that something like "It" be done by a cable network. the creepy sexual undertones that are so important to the book could be explored in a way on cable that network tv might be uncomfortable with.

True true. But let's not forget HBO turned a fourteen year old GoT character ( the Khaleesi) into a twenty-something because of some graphic sex scenes. Getting It right might prove trickier than we think.
Also; I love that book to bits.

LouCipherr
13-Jun-2012, 07:31 PM
Also; I love to look at tits.

Fixed. :lol: :p :D

krisvds
14-Jun-2012, 04:48 AM
Fixed. :lol: :p :D

Why you ..... How did you ....
LMAO!

SymphonicX
14-Jun-2012, 08:33 AM
I have to admit, I never fully finished the book.
I hated that movie though - well it was a miniseries cut into a movie or something wasn't it? Tim Curry was amazing but damn...it was just a spider...?? what a cop out!

LouCipherr
14-Jun-2012, 12:17 PM
Why you ..... How did you ....
LMAO!

:lol:

Sorry man, couldn't resist. :D

Mike70
14-Jun-2012, 05:21 PM
But let's not forget HBO turned a fourteen year old GoT character ( the Khaleesi) into a twenty-something because of some graphic sex scenes. Getting It right might prove trickier than we think.

nothing for me to forget. i had no idea what the hell GoT or Khaleesi was until i looked it up. i've never seen a second of that show and have no idea what the hell it is about.

i don't watch tv (except for science/discovery, a bit of animal planet - but that's about it and i've seen like 4 movies in a theater in the last 5 years. i'm a real hater of most modern "pop culture" stuff. now if you want to talk about the 60s, 70s, or some of the 80s that's a different story.

krisvds
14-Jun-2012, 05:56 PM
Check out a couple of episodes of GoT Mike, chances are you'll like it. It's quite good.
Agree with you for the most part on the modern 'pop culture' stuff but let's not forget these past couple of years a fair few good tv series saw the light of day. Deadwood, Breaking bad, The Wire (especially The Wire), ... It's not all bad.

rongravy
15-Jun-2012, 01:03 AM
I hated that movie though - well it was a miniseries cut into a movie or something wasn't it? Tim Curry was amazing but damn...it was just a spider...?? what a cop out!
Have ANY of his books made into movies had an ending that didn't suck donkey nads?

krisvds
15-Jun-2012, 09:24 AM
Yes:

Carrie; classic jump scare right at the end, after Carrie tore the house down. Liked it.
The Shining: Kubrick delivers a great WTF moment that makes the getaway/happy ending less happy. Chilling.
Misery; Great film. True to the book as well.
Stand By Me; one of the best.
The Mist; better ending tha the short story IMO
Shawshank Redemption ,

:)

LouCipherr
15-Jun-2012, 11:57 AM
Yes, agreed - Shawshank for sure...and how about Pet Semetary? The ending wasn't exactly "surprising" but it didn't suck like, say, The Tommyknockers, It, Night Shift, and a metric shit-ton of others. ;)

rongravy
16-Jun-2012, 12:05 AM
Yes:

Carrie; classic jump scare right at the end, after Carrie tore the house down. Liked it.
The Shining: Kubrick delivers a great WTF moment that makes the getaway/happy ending less happy. Chilling.
Misery; Great film. True to the book as well.
Stand By Me; one of the best.
Shawshank Redemption ,

:)
Ok, how about lately...
Kidding.
Ok, I'll agree on all of those except The Mist. Not a fan of that one.

Mike70
17-Jun-2012, 01:09 AM
. Deadwood, Breaking bad, The Wire (especially The Wire), ... It's not all bad.

can't stand any of those. the only tv show i've really enjoyed in the last few years was Rome. i'm a classicist and that was the best and most realistic depiction of the ancient world that's ever been put on film - even if taking a few historical liberties along the way.

you have to go way back to "enterprise" to find a tv show that i followed from beginning to end. before that it was probably babylon 5. i don't watch much modern stuff. i'm a twilight zone, outer limits, night gallery, boris karloff's thriller, alfred hitchcock presents, etc. kind of guy.

i thought "firefly" was one of the best shows ever but unfortunately, it only lasted 15 eps.

LouCipherr
21-Jun-2012, 04:27 PM

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/WAITthenwalkaway.jpg

MikePizzoff
25-Jun-2012, 10:04 PM
:lol: So am I the only one here that actually likes IT (the movie/miniseries)?

Mike70
26-Jun-2012, 12:43 AM

you might very well be. :lol:

it is the cast i can't get past. john boy from "the waltons", the dude from "night court", venus flytrap from "WKRP in Cincinnati", that dude from the early 80's bike movie ("breaking away" or some shit like that), jack tripper from "three's company." TERRIBLE. i just could not take those people seriously in the roles they were cast in.

then again, i might be the only person here willing to admit that he thought "event horizon" was a great movie.

LouCipherr
26-Jun-2012, 12:19 PM

YES!

krisvds
26-Jun-2012, 04:32 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/WAITthenwalkaway.jpg

http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/stephen-king-approves-of-the-mists-new-ending/

So there. You CAN have your bacon and eat it.

Mike70
26-Jun-2012, 06:08 PM

if it is a bacon flavored cake, Lou might become your new best friend. :lol:

LouCipherr
26-Jun-2012, 06:46 PM
ya gotta admit krisvds, that picture was funny. :lol: :D

http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/stephen-king-approves-of-the-mists-new-ending/

Yeah, I heard about this when the movie came out. Didn't agree with it then, and don't agree with it now even after multiple viewings.

It angered me intensely when SK gave the thumbs-up for Darabont's ending of The Mist. The movie ending sucked horribly.

Just in case people haven't seen it yet (what are you waiting for?!), I'm going to put this in a spoiler tag:

There is no way someone would've opted to shoot their own son before waiting at least a few hours in that car. It was a totally ham-fisted approach to try and give the movie an 'ending' instead of leaving it open like the story. I just can't see someone thinking to themselves, "Gee, we just ran out of gas a few minutes ago... fuck it, time to kill everyone in the car!"
Give to me an incredibly large break! The movie should've ended just like the story.

Other than the ending, Darabont (as usual) did a great job on the film. He seems to be the only one who can nail the "Stephen King book-to-movie" thing for some reason.

Perhaps they should get Darabont to direct the new version of IT?? THAT I would love to see!!

if it is a bacon flavored cake, Lou might become your new best friend. :lol:

Quoted for truth! :D

BTW: did anyone pick up the Blu-Ray of The Mist and watch it in Black & White? WAY better than the color version! It gives it an even more creepy feel, and, if you ask me, the CGI looked and fit into the movie better in B&W than in color.

krisvds
27-Jun-2012, 05:19 AM
Hmmmm; Might have to pick up that blu-ray soon-ish then. Really like the film and its bleak oppressive ending (sorry ;) but the CGI was all kinds of dodgy at times. The black and white treatment seems like a great idea, even further enhancing the pulpy 'B' feel of it all.
If only Darabont did 'IT'. The heavy fifties nostalgia and all the classic monster appearances throughout seem right up his alley.

Oh, Lou, that pic was very funny, right click saved as'ed it (ok that sounds weird) right away.
Saw a kinda funny meme some time ago, forgot where it was but it read; No Hope, No Jobs, No Cash (dead celebs), ... please Kevin DON'T DIE!!!

LouCipherr
27-Jun-2012, 02:22 PM
Believe me, the B&W version adds such a great 'creepy' feel to the film, and the CGI does indeed blend a hell of a lot better than it does in color. It's worth it to pick up the blu-ray if just for that B&W version. ;)

Yeah, I'd LOVE to see a Darabont version of "IT" - with his track record of just nailing SK stories on film, that, I think, would be an awesome watch.

Saw a kinda funny meme some time ago, forgot where it was but it read; No Hope, No Jobs, No Cash (dead celebs), ... please Kevin DON'T DIE!!!

You mean this one?

http://memearchive.net/memerial.net/3370/no-hope-no-cash-no-jobs.jpg

krisvds
27-Jun-2012, 06:13 PM
^^

That's the one!
lol!

Neil
05-May-2015, 08:55 AM
Total, utter huh? - http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=44207

Pennywise the clown is one of the most enduring horror images on screen, one of the evil incarnations of the demon that haunts a town in Stephen King’s It. Now someone has been found to inherit the role from Tim Curry, who brought him so memorably to life in the 1991 TV miniseries version. Will Poulter is that brave soul.

Neil
25-Apr-2016, 11:40 AM
Well, looks like IT's going ahead :) - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Stephen-King-It-Movie-Really-Happening-Part-1-Has-Release-Date-126717.html

Part one has a release date of September 8, 2017.

bassman
29-Mar-2017, 08:30 PM
Looks like it may not be the train wreck that was expected....

FnCdOQsX5kc

shootemindehead
30-Mar-2017, 10:16 AM
Can't say I'm mad about the "updated" 80's setting.

Part of the charm of the book was its 50's time period for the Losers Club.

Neil
02-Sep-2017, 12:50 PM
Positive feedback here - http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1696480/it-has-screened-here-are-the-early-reactions

8mPu0wkE9dA

Neil
08-Sep-2017, 04:50 PM
Very positive review at Cinema Blend - http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/1692089/it-review

And AICN - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/78498

ProfessorChaos
09-Sep-2017, 04:38 PM
the wife and I tried to go see this last night, we ordered tickets online in advance but once we got there the theater was packed to the gills. The only seats available were right in the front row where we would end up with a sore neck and headache from looking straight up at the screen the whole time, we decided to talk to management and get tickets for a later date, and plan to go back later in the week once the initial rush dies off. From what we saw, the other two screens showing this had lines out the door waiting to get in, I would imagine this movie is going to make a hell of a lot of money this weekend.

Neil
09-Sep-2017, 06:19 PM
I'll probably see it the week after next...

Neil
13-Sep-2017, 11:50 AM
So there's talk of IT Chapter 2? So there are going to be two films?

EvilNed
13-Sep-2017, 12:31 PM
the wife and I tried to go see this last night, we ordered tickets online in advance but once we got there the theater was packed to the gills. The only seats available were right in the front row where we would end up with a sore neck and headache from looking straight up at the screen the whole time, we decided to talk to management and get tickets for a later date, and plan to go back later in the week once the initial rush dies off. From what we saw, the other two screens showing this had lines out the door waiting to get in, I would imagine this movie is going to make a hell of a lot of money this weekend.

It made close to 200 million in it's opening weekend worldwide, which broke all kinds of records. Not bad for a film with a production budget of 35 million.

So there's talk of IT Chapter 2? So there are going to be two films?

Correct. Part 2 will be the kids grown up - like in the book.

ProfessorChaos
17-Sep-2017, 03:52 PM
well, got around to seeing this last night. i don't really see what all the fuss is about, it came across to me as another modern unnecessary remake with too many damn jump scares and having kids swear a bunch to get some lols from the audience.

the wife and i both thought that the redesign of pennywise missed the mark, and his dancing and movements were almost comically absurd.

while it wasn't terrible, it's not worth the praise it's getting IMO. not sure if i'll see the 2nd chapter in theaters or wait till it's on home video. 6/10

and this film (and all the previews for upcoming films) has made me realize that i really don't think i want a remake of pet sematary after all. the film industry is abysmal these days.

shootemindehead
17-Sep-2017, 10:44 PM
Yeh. What I've heard is that it's grand for the kid actors and 80's nostalgia, but short on actual scares - most of them being the loud noises type.

Like the recent 'Wonder Woman' film, it seems to have hit a vein of popularity that will no doubt be lost on me.

Neil
21-Sep-2017, 11:35 AM
Well, I thought it was pretty good. Some nice visually impressive/inventive scares, and a nice 1980s/90s vibe.

Now, if anyone else goes to see it, please tell me what the opening scene was before the paper boat scene. I turned up to the film 10 minutes after the start time expected another 10-15mins of adverts, and the film had already begun! So I missed some sort of a scene in a basement with a facemask or something?

shootemindehead
21-Sep-2017, 03:08 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but I know that the opening scene is Georgie having to go down into the basement to get grease to seal his paper boat that Bill is making for him and he's afraid of going down there. Ties in with a scene later on.

Neil
21-Sep-2017, 06:21 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but I know that the opening scene is Georgie having to go down into the basement to get grease to seal his paper boat that Bill is making for him and he's afraid of going down there. Ties in with a scene later on.

Hmmm... I need some clarity on that then!

Go and see it and explain it to me :)

shootemindehead
21-Sep-2017, 11:30 PM
I'm probably going to leave it til the small screen.

Haven't been that impressed by what I've heard so far.

EvilNed
25-Sep-2017, 06:41 AM
Well, I thought it was pretty good. Some nice visually impressive/inventive scares, and a nice 1980s/90s vibe.

Now, if anyone else goes to see it, please tell me what the opening scene was before the paper boat scene. I turned up to the film 10 minutes after the start time expected another 10-15mins of adverts, and the film had already begun! So I missed some sort of a scene in a basement with a facemask or something?

I saw it yesterday.

There's three scenes before Georgi goes out with his boat if I recall correctly. The first scene establishes Bill and Georgies relationship in Bills bedroom. Bill asks Georgi to fetch wax from the basement to waterproof the baot with. The second scene has Georgie descending into the cellar, looking for the wax. It features a faux scare as Georgie thinks he sees two glaring eyes in the darkness, but it turns out to be nothing. Georgie runs back up and then Bill fixes the boat with the wax.

I thought the film was alright. Not really scare, which left me disappointed. We're in such a good place with horror films these days that it really surprised me that this film - of all films - decided to go with such a loud take on horror. The music is all over the place and nothing is ever left to the imagination. We get to see everything to the tune of amped up Psycho strings. Not really unnerving at all. But maybe this horror film is meant for a younger crowd? Like "my first horror film" sorta thing?

The kids were great. I really think they nailed it with them. They manage to carry the film succesfully.

Bill Skarsgård, who plays the clown, is a swedish actor (and yet another son of Stellan Skarsgård). There's been a lot of hype focused on him, but really I don't think he got to do alot. While he's ever present, he either just gets to stand and look menacingly or he leaps out at the kids at which point he's all CGI anyway.
I think I much prefer Tim Curry's clown.

bassman
25-Feb-2019, 01:09 AM
Late 2019 will see the release of an in-depth documentary on the original IT miniseries, Pennywise: The Story of IT. I’m not exactly a fan of the miniseries, but I’m a sucker for making-of docs and this looks to be quite good!

7uONgK8_vu0

https://www.joblo.com/assets/images/arrow/news/2019/02/Pennywise-The-Story-Of-It.jpg