PDA

View Full Version : Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies review

Sammich
22-Jun-2012, 06:40 AM
I started watching this movie with very low expectations, but was damn surprised!

The usual course that these types of movies take are into absurdity. The Lincoln character could have been turned into a ridiculous caricature with an exaggerated southern accent and comical mannerisms. Fortunately, this isn't the case. The actor that protrays Lincoln didn't just show up for a paycheck, but was believable and appeared to be very into the role and holds the entire movie together.

The zombie rules are essentially the usual standard. Get bit, zombie blood in open wounds, eyes or mouth and you turn in 24 hours. The zombies are all shamblers with the main exception that they are all blind and attracted by noise.

The movie does have lots of gore and some funny zombie killing scenes, but doesn't stray into the over the top b.s. like in Dead Alive.

Zombie make-up was decent. There are of course CGI effects due to the low budget.

The filming locations appear to be actual civil war sites and helps to add to the atmosphere.

There are a couple other historical figures that appear, both playing significant roles in history following the movie.

Firearms realism in film is one of my obsessions. The civil war era revolvers used held 6 rounds (yeah!), but the muzzleloaders were being fired in a semi-auto rate (boo!). IIRC a capable soldier back then could get off 3-4 rounds per minute. Unfortunately, we don't get to see anyone reloading the guns.

It is amazing the production values that were accomplished with the meager $150,000 budget- directing, acting, cinematography- everything was done very well. I have seen movies costing 10x that amount that were utter shite.

I give the Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies 3 out of 5 stars.

AcesandEights
22-Jun-2012, 02:14 PM
Well, if you say this is worth seeing, I will definitely give it a shot. I know how much heat Asylum productions have taken on this board (for wholly understandable reasons), so I feel if it gets what sounds like a fair shake here, the film must stray into passable status, or possibly even be entertaining.

the muzzleloaders were being fired in a semi-auto rate (boo!)
I'm not a big firearms stickler, but that's about as outrageous as it can get.

Sammich
22-Jun-2012, 08:47 PM
Well, if you say this is worth seeing, I will definitely give it a shot. I know how much heat Asylum productions have taken on this board (for wholly understandable reasons), so I feel if it gets what sounds like a fair shake here, the film must stray into passable status, or possibly even be entertaining.

The difference from prior corny Asylum movies is that LvZ has a serious tone to it. Some may find that the story is slow, but it is probably because they are used to action and monsters being the centerpiece. The plot focuses on the characters, primarily Lincoln rather than the zombies.

SymphonicX
23-Jun-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm surprised to see a positive review - I saw the trailer at Prometheus and I didn't get to the end without an almost 360 degree rotation of my eyes....it does actually look....horrible...

But i like the idea of it's meager budget, that's appealing - and it's these absurd and crass ideas that are sometimes quite good fun - although to be honest, I don't think I'll see this one with any enthusiasm....

slickwilly13
23-Jun-2012, 04:07 PM
I thought he was killing vampires? A diffrent movie?

AcesandEights
23-Jun-2012, 10:18 PM
I thought he was killing vampires? A diffrent movie?

Yes. AL Vampire Hunter is the major theater release and AL vs. Zombies is the "mockbuster" by The Asylum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Asylum) who specialize in piggybacking their straight to video releases on top of current release blockbusters (e.g. The Day the Earth Stopped instead of the Day the Earth Stood Still etc.).

SymphonicX
24-Jun-2012, 09:03 AM
OHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Wow.....

that changes everything! I didn't realise there were too different movies...."Abraham Lincoln vs (insert interchangable monster here)"

Christopher Jon
24-Jun-2012, 10:19 AM
Without Honest Abe, where would this country be?

I'm waiting for Abraham Lincoln vs The Saucer Men. It's up to Lincoln and an elite squad of Union Commandos to save the world from intergalactic slavery. Or what about Lincoln vs. Predator? Dutch: You ain't afraid of no man. Lincoln: This ain't no man. Abraham Lincoln and the Temple of Doom? Abraham Lincoln Strikes Back? I could keep going.

slickwilly13
24-Jun-2012, 03:41 PM
How about the one where he loses the Civil War against the South?