PDA

View Full Version : Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D...

MinionZombie
31-Aug-2012, 10:10 AM
Nope, not a 3D conversion of the original, but a direct sequel to the 1974 flick. Weird, I know...

http://dailydead.com/new-teaser-poster-for-the-texas-chainsaw-massacre-3d/

GUNNAR HANSEN, the original Leatherface who has never acted in another Texas Chainsaw franchise film, is set to appear in a cameo, with MARILYN BURNS, the original film’s lead actress, playing the role of Verna Carson. Reprising his role as the Grandfather, JOHN DUGAN also makes his first series appearance since the original film.

Beloved character actor BILL MOSELEY, who played the role of Choptop in Tobe Hooper’s 1983 sequel, will play Drayton Sawyer in this film. Moseley will be standing in for Jim Siedow, who previously played the part before his passing in 2003. The two actors appeared together in the 1983 film and were quite comfortable together. Director Luessenhop explains how “Moseley is the perfect choice to capture some of the essence that Siedow had brought to the character.”

Playing Leatherface will be discovery DAN YEAGER. Director John Lussenhop knew he was perfect for the role immediately, after a chance meeting. He describes the 6’ 6” actor as having “huge farm boy arms, a brooding brow. He’s quiet, circumspect, and immediately struck a menacing chord with me. After five minutes, I could no longer think of anyone else for the role.”

ALEXANDRA DADDARIO (PERCY JACKSON & THE OLYMPIANS: THE LIGHTNING THIEF,HALLPASS) has been cast in the lead female role of Heather Miller. The story centers around Heather, as she makes a trip to small-town Texas to collect her inheritance, unaware that her inheritance includes a live item – her cousin, the notorious serial killer Leatherface.

Rounding out the cast of friends visiting the inherited house are TANIA RAYMONDE (“Lost”) playing the role of Heather’s best friend Nikki, with acclaimed R&B singer TREY SONGZ making his film debut as Heather’s boyfriend Ryan and KERAM MALICKI-SANCHEZ (PUNISHER: WAR ZONE and JOHN Q) as Ryan’s friend. SHAUN SIPOS (“Melrose Place,” FINAL DESTINATION 2 and the upcoming HICK) plays Darryl in the film, a hitchhiker along for the ride who knows more than he lets on.

An all new cast of law enforcement and government professionals take on Leatherface in this chapter of the saga: THOM BARRY (THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS, INDEPENDENCE DAY, “Cold Case,”) plays the role of Sheriff Hooper, with PAUL RAE (TRUE GRIT) in the role of town mayor Burt Hartman. SCOTT EASTWOOD (FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS, INVICTUS, GRAN TORINO) will portray Deputy Carl Hartman, a young officer who is battling a powerful attraction to Heather while hunting Leatherface. Noted character actor RICHARD RIEHLE (OFFICE SPACE) will play Sawyers family attorney Farnsworth.

http://c534909.r9.cf2.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Texas-Chainsaw-Teaser.jpg

LouCipherr
31-Aug-2012, 12:37 PM
Well, so far, the only redeeming factor of this movie will be Moseley.

...and in 3D? Really?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/FORUM%20PICS%202/thestupiditburns.jpg

MinionZombie
31-Aug-2012, 05:20 PM
Everything has to be in 3D these days, it's moronic ... just a ploy to get more cash, simple-as.

This'll be interesting as numerous original talent is involved, but it also sounds rather weird ... plus 'an R&B singer making his acting debut' ... ugh. :rolleyes:

MoonSylver
31-Aug-2012, 06:35 PM
Well, so far, the only redeeming factor of this movie will be Moseley.

True dat. But love that friggin guy, so I'll checkit. Plus, TCM is a "franchise" (using the term loosely) that has been all over the place, so...I'm all for a direct sequal to the original at this point. WTF not? If your continuity efforts can't even hold a candle to the HALLOWEEN and FRIDAY THE 13th SERIES, you might as well! :lol:

MinionZombie
14-Sep-2012, 05:08 PM
There's a trailer out for it now - thoughts?

nGggxavtxiA&hd=1

bassman
14-Sep-2012, 05:53 PM
Blah. More of the same, only wrapped in a silly 3D marketing gimmick. If it's ever on the tube i'll check it out, but i'm certainly not paying for it.

MinionZombie
14-Sep-2012, 06:09 PM
Blah. More of the same, only wrapped in a silly 3D marketing gimmick. If it's ever on the tube i'll check it out, but i'm certainly not paying for it.

What confused me with that trailer is, after the trumpetting of the fact that various members of TCM1 and 2 are appearing in the movie, why were none of them in this fairly mediocre trailer? :confused:

bassman
14-Sep-2012, 06:27 PM
Yeah, seeing Moseley play Drayton is probably the only thing of interest to me. Should be interesting. If there's no chili contest, i'll be very disappointed. :p

Actually.....this is making me want to give TCSM2 a viewing. I didn't like that movie at first but it's really grown on me over the years. Moseley as Chop Top is fantastic. "Lick my plate you dog dick!" :lol:

MinionZombie
14-Sep-2012, 06:42 PM
Interesting - I've always loved TCM2. Very different from the first, sure, but it's good that it isn't just the same old thing again. Really nice that it went in a totally different direction, and was fun-as-hell as a result. I can never read a Chop Top quote without saying it in his voice ... even reading the quote, I read it in my head as Chop Top. :lol:

bassman
14-Sep-2012, 07:06 PM
Yeah, I think my initial problem with part two was that it was so different. I was expecting something more akin to the first film, so when part two kicked off I was a bit thrown back. But like I said, over the years i've grown to love it. The recent special edition set is fantastic.

Can't say I cared for the following two sequels. Haven't seen them in years, though.

MinionZombie
14-Sep-2012, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I think my initial problem with part two was that it was so different. I was expecting something more akin to the first film, so when part two kicked off I was a bit thrown back. But like I said, over the years i've grown to love it. The recent special edition set is fantastic.

Can't say I cared for the following two sequels. Haven't seen them in years, though.

Yeah I've got the SE DVD from a couple of years back - a very good set. I'm yet to listen to Hooper's commentary, but the cast commentary is excellent, plus the making of documentary is spiffing. My first exposure to anything Texas Chainsaw was the clip from TCM2 as-seen in The Burbs when Hanks is channel-hopping. I saw that as an impressionable kid and thought "wow! I've gotta see that!", and so when I finally found out it was TCM2 (at a time when it was still banned in the UK) then I knew I had to find that flick. I saw it on TV (a censored version, and being on TV it didn't require BBFC permission), then got it on VHS uncut when it was passed by the BBFC (and discovered just how much had been chopped out - including that very sexual scene between Caroline Williams, Leatherface, and his Saw) ... and now of course the excellent DVD. The flick is just so barmy that it's impossible not to love. :D

As for 3 and 4 - the third one has some good bits in it, and has a really good cast, but it is very derivative. I've got the uncut version on DVD and I've seen it about three times now I think. It's an okay chainsaw flick, but not amazing. As for part 4, weirdly, there are some good bits in that movie, but generally it's terrible ... but in some ways it's terrible in a good way. Again I've seen it about three or four times ... the script is just dreadful, but certain set pieces are quite enjoyable in a trashy sort of way ... plus seeing two future Hollywood A-Listers going all googly-eyed and over-the-top-crazy is pretty funny. Also, fun fact, the teacher who does the strip tease in the strip club in that high school football movie Varsity Blues, is the same woman who played the female member of the Leatherface clan in TCM4.

LouCipherr
14-Sep-2012, 08:01 PM
Actually.....this is making me want to give TCSM2 a viewing. I didn't like that movie at first but it's really grown on me over the years. Moseley as Chop Top is fantastic. "Lick my plate you dog dick!" :lol:

I can never read a Chop Top quote without saying it in his voice ... even reading the quote, I read it in my head as Chop Top. :lol:

"DOG WILL HUNT!" *scratches skull plate with a coat hanger*

:lol:

MikePizzoff
19-Sep-2012, 10:35 AM
The first gripe, among many, is how fucking clean and polished looking the house is. Even in the recent sequel/prequels, they made the house dirty and dingy and creepy. Yet this supposed direct sequel to the original, the house is clean?!?

LouCipherr
19-Sep-2012, 12:33 PM
<cue cheesey 'Entertainment Tonight'-type music>

Welcome to another episodes "Hollywood Re-imagining"!

Today, we have the fascinating story of Leatherface. A man who has pulled himself up from the doldrums to rise from serial murderer to house maid! You won't believe what he's done to his house!

And, don't miss the next incredible episode of Hollywood Re-imagining! when we talk Robocop. Listen to his unbelievable story of how he went from Hollywood badass to joining the Might Morphin Power Rangers!

Next week, on Hollywood Re-imagining!

http://www.toplessrobot.com/Robocop-suit.jpg

:lol: :lol:

JDFP
27-Sep-2012, 11:37 PM
I might be in the minority - but I thought the "Texas Chainsaw" remake was far better than the original. I never cared for the original anyway - it was always a bit hokey to me (basically a cheap exploitation film). Plus, it was a pleasure to have multiple close-up shots of Jessica Beal's fine ass(ets) as well.

I liked "Texas Chainsaw: The Beginning" as well - so I'll certainly be checking this one out.

j.p.

MoonSylver
28-Sep-2012, 04:02 AM
I might be in the minority - but I thought the "Texas Chainsaw" remake was far better than the original. I never cared for the original anyway - it was always a bit hokey to me (basically a cheap exploitation film). Plus, it was a pleasure to have multiple close-up shots of Jessica Beal's fine ass(ets) as well.

I liked "Texas Chainsaw: The Beginning" as well - so I'll certainly be checking this one out.

j.p.

True, the first one basically is that, but that's also looking at it from the distorted lens of history. It was one of a new wave of pretty shocking & here-to-fore unseen types of films. It's definitely a film that is more than the sum of its parts, IMO.

That said, the remake is a pretty fine film of its own...other than what happens to Leatherface...:mad: :rant:

As for Jess Biel, her ass distracted me so bad it was the only thing I could remember from my first watch of the film. i had to watch it again just to say I saw it! :lol:

MinionZombie
26-Oct-2012, 10:30 AM
Look familiar?

http://c534909.r9.cf2.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Texas-Chainsaw-Photo-03.jpg

LouCipherr
26-Oct-2012, 12:29 PM
Look familiar?

Yes, Bill Moseley looks very familiar... :lol: :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
26-Oct-2012, 06:41 PM
Whomever wrote the article is moron, TCM 2 was in 1986

- - - Updated - - -

Might I also add, they are not doing a very convincing job of making the film feel like the 70's. The actors are way too modernized. The costumes aren't even close, and the hair styles are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY OFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Also, if you're going to re-do this for 3D, you CAN STILL play with the color palette, and make the film stock look more 70's-ish.

Come on, Hollywood doesn't even fucking try anymore.

MinionZombie
26-Oct-2012, 07:11 PM
I got the impression - or seem to remember reading - that it isn't set in the 1970s, but a while later.

I'd have to dig a description out again, but the TV are recliner are calling my name. :D

MinionZombie
12-Dec-2012, 06:22 PM
Some behind-the-scenes B-Roll footage in rough form with no on-set audio:

ZECyAv4z-n0&

This marks the first time we get to see sight of familiar faces from the franchise popping up - see who you can spot.

It's a Chainsaw movie, so I'm gonna see it, but aside from the connections to the original movie (and the familiar faces), I'm not exactly brimming with excitement. :shifty:

aaron2
14-Dec-2012, 01:32 PM
The trailer looks good!
Though i really find the poster very creepy and seriously dead daring! I have seen the Texas Chainsaw:The Beginning and did not like it so hope this time it is better

Purge
19-Dec-2012, 03:30 PM
I got the impression - or seem to remember reading - that it isn't set in the 1970s, but a while later.

This.

I'm looking forward to it because it's a direct sequel to the original, although Yeager seems to be a bit lankier than Hansen. Maybe Leatherface discovered P90X.

MinionZombie
05-Jan-2013, 12:09 PM
Mark Kermode's review:

yCxYgGH27uE

He thinks it's shit.

Blu-Ray.com's review:

http://www.blu-ray.com/Texas-Chainsaw-3D/161565/?show=preview

They also think it's utter shit.

One bit that made me laugh, but also go "EH?!" was this:

After the Sawyer Farmhouse ambush of 1973, which left survivor Sally a psychological wreck, the community of Newt, Texas is aching for revenge, silencing Sheriff Hooper (Thom Barry) as they burn the property to the ground, seemingly killing everyone inside, including family leader Drayton (Bill Moseley). However, an infant has survived, placed into the care of a bitter couple for safekeeping. 40 years later, the baby has grown up into a 20-year-old named Heather (Alexandra Daddario), a supermarket butcher who longs for a better life.

If that's really the case in the movie, then good lord. :eek:

Sounds like the references to the original are more kept in one bit up-front that isn't done very well, and then it's just another shonky-as-all-buggery rehash.

The more I saw of it, the dodgier it looked ... particularly *sigh* "Trey Songz" (whoever the hell that is) being in it (one preview clip displayed the most hideous underacting I've ever seen, in a moment which seemed to suggest he didn't actually give much of a stuff about being chased by a chainsaw-wielding nutjob) ... these reviews confirm it.

Over on Daily Dead it got a 2.5 and a 3.5 out of 5 (the latter coming from someone who ... *sigh* ... hasn't seen the original movie).

Neil
07-Jan-2013, 02:29 PM
Tops the US box office! - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20930368

Horror film Texas Chainsaw 3D has unexpectedly topped the US box office, ending The Hobbit's three-week reign.

The movie, set immediately after the events in Tobe Hooper's classic 1974 slasher picture, made $23m (£14.3m) in its opening weekend.

It immediately made back its $20m budget for film company Lionsgate.

bassman
07-Jan-2013, 02:42 PM
That's insane. How could this rehashed stuff beat out Hobbit and Django??? I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I bet "A Haunted House"(AKA Scary Movie 17) or whatever it's called, will also kill at the box office.

I imagine the people behind this Chainsaw entry are already planning a sequel....

Purge
07-Jan-2013, 03:22 PM
Saw it Saturday night.

I wanted to see it mostly to find out what happened to the Sawyers after the first one, so I figured the opening would be interesting and the rest of the flick would be by-the-numbers. I was right. The acting was weak and there were those "little things" that made the crowd groan, like how their van couldn't smash through the gate in front of the mansion or how Heather got right back up after being plowed into by the police cruiser. I also think it was a major mistake to make Leatherface seem sympathetic at the end.
4 out of 10.

MinionZombie
07-Jan-2013, 04:55 PM
I was about to come here and post about it raking in $23m at the box office - in spite of the torrent of dreadful reviews - unbelievable.

You could have totally done something really cool with the property, but it seems that they just opted for utter tosh instead.

In terms of sequels, I read that, yes, they always planned on sequels. Indeed, at one point they planned a trilogy and - get this - they were going to start with #2 (which was apparently going to only take place in a hospital :confused:), and then the second flick would be #1 in the trilogy so you'd see why the events of the first-in-the-trilogy-but-second-in-chronology happened, and then the third would be the third (following the second chronologically, but the first in terms of release) ... yeah, sounds like an idiotic idea to me too, so no surprises that didn't go ahead, but forshame that they just threw out this junk with one of the biggest and dumbest plot holes in cinema history - that 39 years later, a baby girl can grow up to be in her mid-twenties. :stunned::rolleyes:

Deary me indeed.

LouCipherr
07-Jan-2013, 06:38 PM
That's insane. How could this rehashed stuff beat out Hobbit and Django??? I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

You're right, you shouldn't be. When we have a viewing public that causes shows like "Honey Boo Boo" to rake in ratings like there's no tomorrow (here in the US at least), well, it makes things like this a whole lot easier to understand.

I'm not surprised this movie was labeled as crap. I mean, c'mon. They remade ANOES - it sucked. The remade Friday the 13th - it sucked too. RZ remade Halloween - an atrocious abomination. They remade The Thing (you can call it a "prequel" all you want, but if it's named the same as JC's.....) - garbage.

I guess they haven't caught on to the "pattern" yet over there in Hollywood.

slickwilly13
07-Jan-2013, 08:25 PM
It is just a flash-in-the-pan top ticket selling movie. After it fizzes out, The Hobbit or another movie will take number one.

MoonSylver
08-Jan-2013, 04:17 AM
It is just a flash-in-the-pan top ticket selling movie. After it fizzes out, The Hobbit or another movie will take number one.

Yep. Don't forget, The Hobbit & Django have been out for a while now. This is opening weekend of Texas Saw. Probably everyone who wanted to see it DID. I'm expecting a huge drop off next weekend, a la the "F13th" remake.

Neil
09-Jan-2013, 02:24 PM
Next one already in the works - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Another-Texas-Chainsaw-Movie-Already-Works-35004.html

Millennium Films has already begun work on a sequel to Texas Chainsaw 3D, which, for some mysterious and completely illogical reason, is now being referred to as Texas Chainsaw 4. Carl Mazzocone, Mark Burg, Avi Lerner, Tobe Hooper, Trevor Short, John Thompson, Danny Dimbort, Lati Grobman and Christa Campbell are all set to produce the next film and are planning to get production going later this year down in Louisiana. While John Luessenhop directed the most recent installment of the franchise, the site makes no mention regarding whether or not he will return to direct the sequel.

MinionZombie
09-Jan-2013, 05:48 PM
Total Film gave this flick 1/5 - another awful review for this dreck.

I also read on total film that they're planning a seven film series. :eek::stunned::eek: ... I hope that's an error, or the writer mis-reading something, or just a rumour ... because if that's true, then geez, the creators are bigger bastards than we thought. :|

I still can't get over the fact that a baby born 39 years before the events of the main part of the movie grew up to be in her twenties ... I just can't fathom why that was ever put on the page in the first place, nevermind left on the page for the entire duration of making the movie!

rongravy
14-Feb-2013, 12:44 PM
Not going to lie, I came into this with very low expectations. Maybe it helped, but it turned out to be a pretty good movie. I saw Nicotero's name in there on the FX. Not sure if I was just baked, but I swear I saw Kirkman's name in there, too, as a producer? I could be, and probably am, wrong, but I thought I saw it. Anyhoo...
I have only ever liked TCM 2 and 3. Leatherface is on my list higher than Michael Myers, but not by much. I've just never been a big fan, and they've never really done much with him in my book.
I'd be down for more of these for the gore alone. Alot of awesomeness, heads caved in, people sawed in half...
So much goodness going on. I recommend it. As far as the backstory, I don't really give a rat's ass if it all matches up agewise with the girl.
More, please.