PDA

View Full Version : The Strain (TV series) - Guillermo del Toro's vampire trilogy

Neil
21-Sep-2012, 08:55 AM
Although I found the trilogy of books a little up and down in quality, it had enough good elements for me to be interested in the idea for a TV series... and here it is...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58475

FX has greenlit a pilot for a series based on “The Strain” series of vampire novels co-written by filmmaker Guillermo del Toro (“Hellboy”) and Chuck Hogan.

Del Toro will direct the pilot from a teleplay by del Toro and Hogan.

Carlton Cuse, already hard at work overseeing USA’s upcoming “Pyscho” prequel series “Bates Hotel,” is producing and will serve as “Strain” showrunner should it go to series.

The novels follow scientists working to combat a swarm of hungry vampires that are feasting on humanity.

Del Toro envisions the first two books, “The Strain” and “The Fall,” will likely form the series first two seasons, while “The Night Eternal,” the final book in the trilogy, could be split into seasons three and four.

Neil
26-Apr-2013, 09:26 AM
Filming starts in September. Hoping for a nice dark series out of this!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62141

Los Angeles, April 18, 2013 – FX has cast House of Cards star Corey Stoll in the lead role in its drama pilot The Strain, based on the best-selling vampire novel trilogy from Academy Award®-Winning Filmmaker Guillermo del Toro and Author Chuck Hogan.

Del Toro and Hogan will co-write the pilot script, with del Toro attached to direct. Award-Winning Writer and Producer Carlton Cuse (Lost, Bates Motel) will be an Executive Producer and oversee the series with Del Toro. He will serve as Showrunner as the pilot goes to series. Hogan and Gary Ungar will also serve as Executive Producers. FX Productions will produce.

The Strain is a one-hour high concept thriller that tells the story of Dr. Ephraim Goodweather (Stoll), the head of the Center for Disease Control Canary Team in New York City. He and his team are called upon to investigate a mysterious viral outbreak with hallmarks of an ancient and evil strain of vampirism. As the strain spreads, Eph, his team, and an assembly of everyday New Yorkers, wage war for the fate of humanity itself.

I'd like to know how many episodes are planned!

MissJacksonCA
07-Jul-2013, 06:30 PM
I feel ashamed to admit I was at Wal-Mart and saw in the $1 book bin a GDT book but hell for a dollar I'll buy anything... it was pretty good. I'm excited about the pilot. When I read that book it felt ripe for the taking and FX really does a great job with all their TV programs for the most part. I think a lot of TV show ideas are kind of played out and vampires are soon to be passé God willing but I genuinely look forward to this.

Neil
08-Jul-2013, 08:35 AM
I feel ashamed to admit I was at Wal-Mart and saw in the $1 book bin a GDT book but hell for a dollar I'll buy anything... it was pretty good. I'm excited about the pilot. When I read that book it felt ripe for the taking and FX really does a great job with all their TV programs for the most part. I think a lot of TV show ideas are kind of played out and vampires are soon to be passé God willing but I genuinely look forward to this.

Was that the first book of the three?

The latter ones are not as good IMHO, but I'm still looking forward to the series!

ps: John Hurt is to play Professor Abraham Setrakian in the TV series (pilot) - http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/john-hurt/26076/john-hurt-joins-vampire-sci-fi-series-the-strain

MissJacksonCA
10-Jul-2013, 05:08 AM
Yes, The Strain is the first of the three... its an amazing read, I always hear people describe a book that's so engrossing you can't put it down and this was one where that held true. Like an old John Carpenter film I felt captivated by the atmosphere created and was compelled to keep that book at hand to read relentlessly.

Neil
22-Nov-2013, 01:28 PM
David Bradley takes over as Prof. Abraham Setrakian instead of John Hurt. Could be good!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/65198

...begins production later this month in Toronto and the series is scheduled to premiere in July of 2014 on FX

Good, that will fill in when next year's Game Of Thrones has finished :)

Neil
09-Jun-2014, 09:29 AM
...finally! I do hope it lives up to the source material!

uALG7kjctzM

http://cdn.bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/the-strain1.jpg

Neil
07-Jul-2014, 09:12 AM
Reviews seem pretty +ve - http://www.ibtimes.com/strain-review-twist-vampires-makes-new-fx-show-must-watch-1597194

“The Strain” had audience members jumping in their seats, even letting out the occasional surprised yelp. While promos and art for the show teased gore in store, it appeared only minimally in the pilot. Instead, most of the chilling aspects that made viewers jump were due to the suspense. That said, the final moments of episode 1 feature one of the most insane scenes I’ve ever seen on TV, right up there with some of the mind-blowing deaths on “Game of Thrones” and “The Walking Dead.”

EvilNed
07-Jul-2014, 11:16 AM
Can't wait.

Me and my friends usually have a show that we follow together on breakfast mornings on the weekend, watching the latest episode.
We've decided to make this our next show. Such a shame it airs sundays, tho, I'll be roughly a week behind.

Neil
07-Jul-2014, 11:21 AM
Can't see any release date for this in the UK yet :(

Neil
13-Jul-2014, 04:33 PM
Well the reviews seem to like/love it :) - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67976

Still no word when it's on in the UK :(

kidgloves
15-Jul-2014, 09:17 PM
Watched this last and it was pretty good. A miss mash of previous vampire efforts. It reminded me a lot of a 70's movie with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee called Horror Express which shared the shit out of me when I was a kid.

Neil
16-Jul-2014, 09:01 PM
Watched this last and it was pretty good. A miss mash of previous vampire efforts. It reminded me a lot of a 70's movie with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee called Horror Express which shared the shit out of me when I was a kid.

When's it on in the UK? Grrrrrrrr!

rightwing401
22-Jul-2014, 06:08 AM
Well, I watched the first two episodes. The suspense and horror parts of the show were well done, and the barbed tongue attacks were nice to see.

Now for my complaints.

** spoiler alters**

There's way too much stupidity in the acting government authorities to the situation for me to suspend disbelief. Aside from the two main characters, the rest of the CDC heads do things that I'm positive would get them canned in real life.

First point. All the talk outside the plane about the dangers of viruses and bacteria, all the care given towards safely inspecting the interior of the plane, then they just pop open an undocumented alien crate wearing no protective gear at all. Doesn't add up.

Then the CDC director letting the 4 surivors out of quarantine after less than a day when there's an entire freaking plane full of dead people due to unknown reasons, and his objecting to the two main characters' protests and the evidence they try to present to him with the equivalent of sticking his fingers in his ears and going "la la la la, I can't hear you, it was carbon monoxide poisoning"

And finally, the centuries old master vampire who wants to sneak into the U.S., and by starting with slaughtering an entire plane full of people as his first act in the country. Doesn't make any sense there, no matter how old and powerful you are.

I'll probably keep watching, but the show definitely has lost some points with me.

EvilNed
04-Aug-2014, 09:45 AM
@rightwing401

Agreed on the governments actions seeming kinda stupid. I hate it when characters actions are motivated by "the plot needs to move forward" rather than what's the sensible way to do. "Lazy writing" so to speak.

Some of the plot reminds me of the videogame Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Although in that game, the mysterious coffin rolls in on an empty ship rather than lands on a plane.

It could go in any number of ways from here and these coming episodes will be interesting to see how they play out.

thesurvivor
04-Aug-2014, 07:46 PM
So far the show isnt that good, i understand that its getting started but lets be honest. We're not watching this show to see a guy deal with his divorce, or watch people d*cks fall off.
I understand that they're trying to characterize right now, but there are better ways of doing this. Ive seen so many loving fathers going there divorce because they love their job and are never around, that no one gives a sh*t anymore. Tv writers think that we need to be told every detail step by step about a characters sad generic life. Take HBO's hit show "true detective" we wernt draged threw these people lives step by step, we put the peices together. We were shown their personal lives but the thing is that we liked these characters before they tried to show their personal lives. Thats the thing tv writers need to learn. We need to like characters before we can care. And right now the strain doesnt do that for me. And since there isnt much vampire killing right now im forced to be draged through these characters lives.
I havent given up on the show yet because it has potential. I never read the book because i dont like reading. As far as cgi on the vampires it looks pretty good. Ill give it a few more episodes

Aslo check out my post "us against the world" in the fiction discussion section. Vote in the poll too

Neil
22-Aug-2014, 09:59 AM
UK 17th of Sept. What a wait!

Neil
04-Nov-2014, 10:49 AM
Quite enjoying it so far... 7 episodes in...

Neil
02-Aug-2015, 11:47 AM
Didn't realise season 2 had already kicked off in the US. We'll get it here in the UK the end of this month. ;)

EvilNed
02-Aug-2015, 10:45 PM
I watched season 1. It was mildly entertaining. I'll be giving Season 2 a watch. It's braindead enough.

Neil
17-Oct-2016, 11:07 AM
Hang on... Is this starting to go off plot compared to the books?

rightwing401
03-Nov-2016, 06:16 AM
It went off plot at the end of season 2 with a character's death that shouldn't have happened.

I found season 3 more interesting, since at this point half of New York has fallen to the vampires. I enjoyed watching military special forces conducting search and destroy sweeps on vampire nests.

Hope season 4 is just as entertaining.

Neil
03-Nov-2016, 09:44 AM
It went off plot at the end of season 2 with a character's death that shouldn't have happened.

I found season 3 more interesting, since at this point half of New York has fallen to the vampires. I enjoyed watching military special forces conducting search and destroy sweeps on vampire nests.

Hope season 4 is just as entertaining.

If I recall in the third book the world (USA?) is dominated by the vampires with humans living in "farms" (blood banks)? And Ephraim's son is living in a mansion protected by The Master etc?

I wonder if in the next series we'll get to that sort of position?

Neil
15-Mar-2018, 09:32 PM

Hope season 4 is just as entertaining.Only just spotted series 4 has come and gone! Somehow I missed it on UK TV.

Anyhow, download it now on catch up...

shootemindehead
16-Mar-2018, 11:23 AM
It's been cancelled too.

EvilNed
16-Mar-2018, 12:28 PM
I've seen up to the end of Season 3 which had a totally "What the fuck?" ending that really had me wanting for more.

Neil
16-Mar-2018, 08:05 PM
I've seen up to the end of Season 3 which had a totally "What the fuck?" ending that really had me wanting for more.

So far so good with series 4... I'm enjoying it!

Neil
18-Mar-2018, 01:07 PM
OK... Enjoyed the final series, except I felt the last episode felt rather weak... But still worth the watch!