PDA

View Full Version : ten games youll never forget

Danny
09-Jul-2006, 06:51 AM
okay just for kicks i thought id start a thread for everyone to sahre there top ten all time favourite video games, ones theyve played till there thumbs bled , to ones that merely stuck with you for no apparent reason.

heres mine:

10:final fantasy 8, first playstation game and first 3-d game i ever played.
9:castlevania GBA series
8:resident evil 2, the bes tin the seires, period
7:halo 2
6:shenmue 2
5:half life 2, blody fantastic, i wouldnt have it any other way
4:stubbs the zombie, sheer fun
3:the legend of zelda ,oracle of ages, my favourite zelda game along with its companion ,oracle of seasons.
2:pokemon red, hey we may be ashamed to admit it now, but back in the day the younger members of this site burnt out many valuable hours of our lives on this game so its gonna stick with me.

and it was hard to decide my all time favourite game but its got to go to:

SILENT HILL 2:restless dreams, easily the greatest game ive ever played, with easily the least cliche plot twist in a video game to date, which i wont ruin for those who havent played it,and if thats so i suggest you do as its only £5 now and its a true classic its influenced everything in the creative process when i make short films from writing to camera angles, (screwy konami dudes i owe you one), and its main theme is easily the most recognisable one out of all these and thats why its my favourite video game ever, whats yours?:D

EDIT: one thing i gotta say is i cant believe gamespot gave silent hill 2 only a 7?!?!, even people who hate it compared to resi will admit its better than that!

OddDNA
09-Jul-2006, 03:05 PM
my list would have...(in order of hours wasted)

The Maddens

Civilization IV

Street Figher 2

Balder's Gate

Legend of Zelda for NES

zombiegirl
09-Jul-2006, 03:21 PM
There are many more games I love but here are my top 10.

10. Gran Turismo 3
9. Outbreak
8. ClockTower 3
7. Silent Hill 2
6. Dino Crisis 2
5. Destroy All Humans ( Damn Funny Game )
4. Devil May Cry
3. Parasite Eve
2. Resident Evil 4
1. Resident Evil 2

axlish
09-Jul-2006, 03:47 PM
10.Castlevania 2
9.The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time
8.Resident Evil - Code Veronica
7.Rygar (NES)
6.Goldeneye
5.NHL 95 (Genesis)
4.Soldier of Fortune 2
3.Resident Evil 2
2.Dr. Mario
1.Tecmo Super Bowl

Eyebiter
09-Jul-2006, 07:04 PM
1. Asteroids Atari 2600
2. X-Com
3. Gunship 2000
4. Civilization III
5. Baldur's Gate
6. Panzer General
7. Hearts of Iron 2
8. Fallout
9. Master of Orion 2
10. Master of Magic

MikePizzoff
09-Jul-2006, 07:50 PM
In no particular order...

10) Resident Evil (PSX)
9) Grand Theft Auto III (PS2)
8) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)
7) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (XBOX)
6) Halo: Combat Evolved (XBOX)
5) Super Mario World (SNES)
4) Spy Hunter (NES)
3) The Simpsons (MAME)
2) Altered Beast (SEGA)
1) Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SEGA)
0) Silent Hill 2 (had it on both XBOX and PS2 and different points in time)
-1) Area 51 (MAME and PSX)

I could keep going, but I'll stop at negative 1.

CoinReturn
10-Jul-2006, 03:51 PM
10. Super Mario 64(N64) - the first time I said "wow" out loud to a videogame.
9. Geometry Wars: Retro/Evolved(360) - Great arcade style shooter, one of the most addictive games ever.
8. Oblvion(360) - One of the most lush worlds ever created, you could simply walk around aimlessly and quests, dungeons, and people would find you.
7. Resident Evil 4(GC) - Nothing quite like the first time getting your head cut off by a chainsaw. The feeling of dread while being hunted by dozens of villagers has yet to be replicated.
6. Rez (PS2) - One of the strangest games ever, saying its a trippy experience is an understatement.
5. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1) - Awesome sidescrolling hack n slash. The music and rpg elements helped make it one of Playstations greatest.
4. Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) - Still my favorite Zelda, though its looking as if Twilight Princess will take the crown when its released for Wii.
3. Shenmue 1&2(Dreamcast) - Heres hoping they continue this epic story with another sequel.
2. Chrono Trigger(SNES) - Perhaps the greatest game of the 16-bit era, its story and characters were among the best ever.
1. Chrono Cross(PS1) - My favorite game of all time. The enviornments, music, characters and story make this game.

p2501
10-Jul-2006, 04:00 PM
EDIT: one thing i gotta say is i cant believe gamespot gave silent hill 2 only a 7?!?!, even people who hate it compared to resi will admit its better than that!

gamespot is very capricious/fagtastic with their ratings. i think it was them that raved over doom 3 when it came out, and we all know that game sucked.

they tend to rate games based on popularity, not conten.

BTW great picks all. people tend to overlook FF8.

10 - Wing Commander 2 for SNES - old school joy defined.
09 - Parasite eve 2 - it defines replayability for me.
08 - Kid Icarus - my favorite NES game, bar none.
07 - Gpolice - one of the best flight games ever. it's fraking hard to boot!
06 - GTA3 - You never forget your first dead hooker.
05 - Halo - my god a shoooter that you can actually employ combat tactics in! WORT WORT!
04 - Ace combat 04 - the best flight game ever.
03 - FF7 - 8 years later i still want Sepiroth ****ing dead.
02 - KOTOR2 - It still the most fully relaized RPG i've played.
01 - Halo 2 - because it was completely worth the wait.

bassman
10-Jul-2006, 04:08 PM
01 - Halo 2 - because it was completely worth the wait.

You really think so? That was probably the last game I got for XBOX and I wasn't impressed. It was basically the same as the original only with a few new guns and little things here and there. The dual weapon thing was probably the only thing that made it a different game....

CoinReturn
10-Jul-2006, 04:17 PM
You really think so? That was probably the last game I got for XBOX and I wasn't impressed. It was basically the same as the original only with a few new guns and little things here and there. The dual weapon thing was probably the only thing that made it a different game....
Did you play it on Xbox Live? Thats like, 90% of the fun.

p2501
10-Jul-2006, 06:33 PM

the plot is impeccable. the game physics were damn functional, and it was fun. i could give a **** less about "new guns". as the existing weaponry was so well implemented.

but the fact the game took 3 years to be released and i was dying for it towards the end, and it delivered on every level. it's rare that anything in life is worth the wait.

plus the mulitplayer is like crack with a sideorder of bacon.

Bunker65
10-Jul-2006, 06:56 PM
the plot is impeccable. the game physics were damn functional, and it was fun. i could give a **** less about "new guns". as the existing weaponry was so well implemented.

but the fact the game took 3 years to be released and i was dying for it towards the end, and it delivered on every level. it's rare that anything in life is worth the wait.

I agree 100% with you on this :).

Here's a list of some of my all-time favorite's. After the first 2 there is no particular order:

1. Halo (Xbox)
2. Halo 2 (Xbox & 360)
3. Call Of Duty 2 (360)
4. Splinter Cell (Xbox)
5. Top Spin (Xbox)
6. Virtua Tennis (Dreamcast)
7. Resident Evil games (1, 2, 3, CV, 4 - various systems)
8. Missle Command (Arcade)
9. G.R.A.W. (360)
10. Star Wars - Rogue Squadron

Honorable mention: Pong :D.

p2501
10-Jul-2006, 06:59 PM
How is GRAW?

i'm finally buying my 360 in Aug/Sept. thus far the only games i'm grabbing will be dead rising and BF2. so a third would be nice.

bassman
10-Jul-2006, 07:55 PM

See, I didn't think the plot was all that original compared to the first game, the physics were basically the same, and yes....it was fun. Equally as fun as the original.

I understand where you're coming from, though. I'm sure I wasn't as excited about it as you guys were. It just seemed like a copy with a few minor things added so they could make some more cash off the popularity that was booming from the original....

Bunker65
10-Jul-2006, 08:06 PM
How is GRAW?

i'm finally buying my 360 in Aug/Sept. thus far the only games i'm grabbing will be dead rising and BF2. so a third would be nice.

I thought G.R.A.W. was great :). It has varied missions which allow you to command your squad, tank squads, helicoptor's.. You have a few solo missions as well that can be very tough. When you bump up the difficulty to hard it's very challenging.

I've had fun playing it on Live. There is a bit of a problem with the lobby system but once you get into a game it's usually alot of fun especially if you can get a good group of guys to do the online missions with.

If you are inclined to pay extra you can download additional missions via the Xbox Live Marketplace.

CoinReturn
10-Jul-2006, 08:36 PM
p2501, if I could make a suggestion: I have BF2 for PC, and to be honest with you, the 360 version doesn't stack up. It's buggy, doesn't control well, and its very repetitive. When you get your 360 I emplore you to download the multiplayer demo off of XBL and see for yourself. GRAW would make a great replacement, that game is incredible. Good choice with Dead Rising though, that game looks killer.

p2501
11-Jul-2006, 02:15 AM
p2501, if I could make a suggestion: I have BF2 for PC, and to be honest with you, the 360 version doesn't stack up. It's buggy, doesn't control well, and its very repetitive. When you get your 360 I emplore you to download the multiplayer demo off of XBL and see for yourself. GRAW would make a great replacement, that game is incredible. Good choice with Dead Rising though, that game looks killer.

i have BF2 for the original xbox, and while it's not perfect i do enjoy the crap out of it. the game is indeed flawed, but i have a good cicrle on my freinds list so that tends to compensate for a lot.

haing said that, i'll defenitely grab the demo before buying the game, and thanks for the heads up.

Danny
11-Jul-2006, 02:31 AM
heres another 360 suggestion avoid:

CONDEMNED - waste of time and effort , bad pysics engine, i got stuck on objects sometimes likes cardboard boxes, weak enemies a.i mutch worse than enemies in the origional halo.
and though the lighting may be good character models are basic at best, especially compared to high end ps2 games like silent hill 2 or metal gear solid two, they dont even compare to final fantasy X.

and another huge, albiet surprising, 360 dissapointment-

TONY HAWKS AMERICAN WASTELAND - ive been a loyal player of the birdman games since pro sater 2 on the ps-one back in the day and i was hooked and i love THUG 2 , but this is aweful, its glitchy, poorely designed and to focus ,which you need to do to continue story mode, YOU HAVE TO PRESS THE THUMBSTICK IN WHILST BALANCING A GRIND OR MANUAL?!?! i dont think i need to give any more points on why that sucks as it wasnt a next gen game, simple as.:mad:

MikePizzoff
11-Jul-2006, 03:14 PM
heres another 360 suggestion avoid:
TONY HAWKS AMERICAN WASTELAND - ive been a loyal player of the birdman games since pro sater 2 on the ps-one back in the day and i was hooked and i love THUG 2 , but this is aweful, its glitchy, poorely designed and to focus ,which you need to do to continue story mode, YOU HAVE TO PRESS THE THUMBSTICK IN WHILST BALANCING A GRIND OR MANUAL?!?! i dont think i need to give any more points on why that sucks as it wasnt a next gen game, simple as.:mad:

I've been a fan of the THPS series since BEFORE the first game came out. I remember getting the demo for the first one about 9 months before it came out, in a magazine. It was only the first level (the only one that they had finished at that point in the games design). I played that **** every day for an entire summer. I remember it only had two songs on it, which will forever be burned into my brain - Primus "Jerry Was A Race Car Driver" and Suicidal Tendencies "Cyco Visions". You could only pick from two skaters, Bob Burnquist and... I forget who the other one was... it was some street skater. I then remember about 1 year later always playing crappy demos for horrible skateboarding video games... that were REALLY bad. I think quite a few of them got scrapped before they came out.

Rottedfreak
20-Nov-2006, 09:42 AM
Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask - A very dark and emotional addition to the series, being to do everything again in any order was great.
Eternal Darkness - Creepy
Silent Hill 2 - gave me goosebumps
Final Fantasy 4 - Nice little adventure
Star Wars Rogue Leader - arcadey shoot em up that captures the films space battles quite well.
Body Harvest - old school shoot em up
Perfect Dark - Loved it to bits
Resident Evil 4 - Action horror, think Dawn remake.
Transformers - I'm a Transformers fan and this game puts other Armada media (the comic book and TV show) to shame.
Starfox 64/Lylat wars - Bloody brilliant! The sequals aren't a patch on this gem.

capncnut
20-Nov-2006, 11:03 AM
Okay, here's my top 10 unforgettable gaming experiences, the best platforms to find them on and reasons why they affected me so.

In order:
Deus Ex: Invisible War (PC) - Mindblowing story
Shenmue (DreamCast) - Epic and cinematic
Silent Hill 2 (Xbox) - Beautifully crafted horror
Resident Evil 2 (DreamCast) - Hell yeah!
Half Life 2 (PC) - Amazing graphics
Halo (Xbox) - Stunning weapons and gameplay
Metal Gear Solid (PSone) - The first game that made me cry
Final Fantasy VII (PSone) - So much fighting yet so tender
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Xbox 360) - How big?
Fahrenheit (Xbox) - One of a kind really

I probably left a whole bunch out but hey it's 12 in the afternoon and I haven't slept yet! :D

Eyebiter
20-Nov-2006, 12:28 PM
Ten games is a short list if you count all the old atari, C64, and dos games

slickwilly13
20-Nov-2006, 02:23 PM
This is in no order, either.

1. Resident Evil 4 *GC*

2. The Legend of Zelda *NES*

3. Super Mario Brothers 3 *NES*

4. Space Invaders *Atari 2600*

5. Hogan's Alley *Arcade*

6. Final Fantasy 2/4 *SNES*

7. Pacman *Arcade*

8. Donkey Kong *Arcade*

9. Galaga *Arcade*

10. Street Fighter 2 *Arcade*

Too many to list.

Terran
20-Nov-2006, 03:37 PM
Seaquest (Atari)

Haunted House (Atari)

Super Mario Bros 1,2,&3 [NES] (how can you include one and not the others)

Destiny of an Empire [NES]

Contra 1&2

Castlevania Simons Quest (NES) (What a Terrible Night for a curse...as if there was ever a good night for one)

Zelda (NES)

Battle Of Olympus (NES)

Dragon Warrior [NES] (Who knew a kid had the patience to walk back in forth through 8 squares of map for 12 hours straight day after day)

Blaster Master [NES]

Mortal Combat 1,2,& 3 (Sega Gen)

Super Mario 64 (N64)

Zelda Ocarina of Time (N64)

Golden Eye (N64)

Resident Evil 2 (N64)

Soul Caliber (Dreamcast)

Phantasy Star Online (Dreamcast)

Final Fantasy 10 (I played something like 300+ hours on that game...and that only counts the time that got saved)

Grand Theft Auto Libery City, Vice City,& San Andreas (PS2,PS2, Xbox)

(In pseudo chronological order)

I know this isnt ten games....but its hard to single games out....cause if you asked for just ten it would be the earliest ten...from like Atari and NES beacuse those would have had the most effect on what games I gravitated to later in life....
Also I probally left out some very important games....but since these are the ones that immediately came to mind then they must be the most important...

You may notice I did not have any SNES games....thats because I did not own an SNES till the era of Dreamcast....so I couldnt really put them in there as being important as these other ones

capncnut
20-Nov-2006, 10:45 PM
Okay, you twisted my arm. Here's the retro countdown.

In order:
Pac Man (Atari 2600)
The Great Escape (ZX Spectrum)
Star Wars (Arcade - 'Vektorgraphix' sit-in model)
Super Mario Bros (NES)
The Hobbit (ZX Spectrum)
Dragon Trek (Dragon 32)
Aladdin (Sega Megadrive)
Terminator 2 (Arcade)
Galaxian (Atari 2600)
Manic Miner (ZX Spectrum)

I think that should do it! :D

Terran
20-Nov-2006, 11:03 PM
Star Wars (Arcade - 'Vectorgraphix' sit-in model)

*Drools*....

That thing OWNED!