PDA

View Full Version : Rep power?

MikePizzoff
07-Mar-2006, 01:36 PM
Does your rep power ever go up? If it does, how so? Cause I mean some of us have been posting on this site for years now... I'd say we have seniority!

p2501
07-Mar-2006, 02:59 PM
meh, who cares?

it does seem to increase base dupon the volume of your post and a few other factors. but really who cares? seniority is for jerks.

Andy
07-Mar-2006, 03:29 PM
Your reputation power is based on 3 things..

Your postcount
How long you've been registered
Your own reputation level.

its more swayed by your own level than anything else, so the better your own standing in this community, the better reputation you can give to others :)

MinionZombie
07-Mar-2006, 03:59 PM
I don't 'get' this rep power thing, there's really no need - surely your star-status explains it enough, especially as we all already know each other here and many of us have known each other for years now. I'd say almost all people ignore the tick/minus button and so nobody's rep power is going up - even us old-schoolers who are sitting at over 100 posts are still on rep power 1.

Hmmm...don't see the need to be honest.

Andy
07-Mar-2006, 04:03 PM
well true but its not my fault people arn't using it :p

its good system when used. if neil asks me to turn it off i will.

Burbank
07-Mar-2006, 05:26 PM
I quite like the idea... I've only had one bit of feed back but it's good to know your posts are appreciated.

p2501
07-Mar-2006, 08:30 PM
Perhaps this has been covered but i missed it if it was.

Does the increased "power" yeild any benefits?

Neil
07-Mar-2006, 09:08 PM
Typically I've only see a reputation system working on more technical forums. ie: Where information or valuable details are being offered by users. Adding to someone's reputation is a pat on their back for the time/effort they spent in helping you.

If after a while it proves not to be useful here then we can think about turning it off. Howver, for the meantime let's go with the flow and see what happens :)

DjfunkmasterG
07-Mar-2006, 09:17 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way but...

We lost our forum status switching over and now we have warning levels which could be a hinderance if some evil bastard decides too be a jerk and start clicking BAD POSTS or something.

Now there is rep power... I mean unless people click the little check marks, you really get no rep power. So of use have been here for years. This June I will have been a solid posting member for 3 years and was kinda bummed to see my post count and forum status dropped too noob level. (No offense to the real noobs). I was never a post whore, I always had more replies than posts, not a lot more, but I didn't go hogging up the forums with useless stuff like some posters do... well unless I get into an argument with someone.

No offense, but the REP thing is a bad idea. I would rather have my forum member status returned.

AssassinFromHell
07-Mar-2006, 09:37 PM
Whats the big deal about the rep deal? If people don't like it, ignore it. Alot of people don't seem to like it. Think about it for a second. If alot of people don't like it, alot of people won't look at it. If alot of people wont look at it, alot of people won't use it. So...where's the problem?

Andy
07-Mar-2006, 09:49 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way but...

We lost our forum status switching over and now we have warning levels which could be a hinderance if some evil bastard decides too be a jerk and start clicking BAD POSTS or something.

Now there is rep power... I mean unless people click the little check marks, you really get no rep power. So of use have been here for years. This June I will have been a solid posting member for 3 years and was kinda bummed to see my post count and forum status dropped too noob level. (No offense to the real noobs). I was never a post whore, I always had more replies than posts, not a lot more, but I didn't go hogging up the forums with useless stuff like some posters do... well unless I get into an argument with someone.

No offense, but the REP thing is a bad idea. I would rather have my forum member status returned.

The warning system can only be used by administrators and super moderators, so there is no chance of people jerking it about by reporting bad posts as its not connected or influenced by the bad post system at all, all the bad post system does is send a message to the staff saying such and such has reported a post giving this as their reason, please look at it.

With the rep system, there are automatic failsafes to stop people abusing it.. ie.. you can only give rep to so many people in 24 hours and you can give the same person rep in a certain time, still if you feel its being abused against you you can always contact one of us and we can look into it (we can see who's let comments and points, and we can edit or remove them).

your normal rank and status will be returned when your postcount gets higher, again your rep or warnings have no influence on your rank at all. thats purely done off postcounts.

if you want a higher rep, why dont you HpotD veterans just give each other rep points?

AssassinFromHell
07-Mar-2006, 11:54 PM
if you want a higher rep, why dont you HpotD veterans just give each other rep points?

Because ****ing and moaning boosts our post count. :p

DjfunkmasterG
08-Mar-2006, 11:04 AM
Because ****ing and moaning boosts our post count. :p

What he said! :D

I still rather have my old rank back. Took me 2 years to get to 2000 posts.

Andy
08-Mar-2006, 11:21 AM
you can moan and give rep to each other, that way both increase :p

MikePizzoff
08-Mar-2006, 11:39 AM
I've givin positive rep to a few people but I guess they didn't appreciate it :(

Andy
08-Mar-2006, 11:42 AM
there u go ive given you some, but remember the person your giving rep too cant see who gave it to them :p

DjfunkmasterG
08-Mar-2006, 01:45 PM
I've givin positive rep to a few people but I guess they didn't appreciate it :(

I gave ya some REP :evil:

erisi236
08-Mar-2006, 02:11 PM
*reps*

there 3 of you have gotten *rep* from me....but which 3? :D

mista_mo
08-Mar-2006, 02:15 PM
hmm...I like the idea of the rep thingy...I see no harm in keeping it, I mean, again, if you don't like it, just ignore it..personally I like the idea.

AssassinFromHell
08-Mar-2006, 07:20 PM
I've probably given all of you rep. I give them out like candy!

Consider this your early Halloween guys! :p

MinionZombie
08-Mar-2006, 07:25 PM
And yet everyone's rep power still seems to sit at 1...weird, I've yet to see a rep power above 1 - that isn't Neil or Andy.

AssassinFromHell
08-Mar-2006, 07:26 PM
And yet everyone's rep power still seems to sit at 1...weird, I've yet to see a rep power above 1 - that isn't Neil or Andy.

Rigged for self-indulgence purposes. :eek: :p :D

Andy
08-Mar-2006, 07:33 PM
ive made it slightly easier to get increased rep by decreasing the increments, before it went up at 10, ive halved it and set it to 5.

so when you get 5 points yourself, it'll go up ;)

MinionZombie
08-Mar-2006, 07:39 PM
Oooohhhhhhhhh I seeeee.

I checked my User CP and found I had gotten some reps, cheers whoever gave me rep! But then I was wondering why the rep power hadn't changed...for some reason I'd gotten it into my head that one 'vote' equalled like one point on the rep...lol...don't ask why, I'm tired out - I'm not used to doing stuff during the day, ha!

Hmmm...I've got "five points"...haven't seen a move...*ach* I duno...very tired out today :skull: :|

erisi236
09-Mar-2006, 02:07 PM
*sighs*

all those posts I've made and only 1 rep, you bunch of bums! :D

Mike70
10-Sep-2008, 05:21 PM
so will the rep system ever return? i admit that i wasn't too terribly taken by the whole thing but i've wondered about whether it would make a reappearance from time to time.

darth los
10-Sep-2008, 05:39 PM
so will the rep system ever return? i admit that i wasn't too terribly taken by the whole thing but i've wondered about whether it would make a reappearance from time to time.

The rep system caused more trouble than it's worth. Your post count and being recognized by the regulars should be enough. I don't even miss it at all. Also it's too easily abused. If someone doesn't like you they can mess with your rep #. UNCOOL

Mike70
10-Sep-2008, 05:42 PM
The rep system caused more trouble than it's worth. Your post count and being recognized by the regulars should be enough. I don't even miss it at all. Also it's too easily abused. If someone doesn't like you they can mess with your rep #. UNCOOL

i couldn't stand it either. in fact, i was one of the most vocal opponents of it. i do wonder if it'll ever return and i certainly hope it doesn't.

MinionZombie
10-Sep-2008, 05:59 PM
It was indeed more trouble than it was worth, and I'm glad it's not used anymore. Just a nuisance and not at all necessary, MUCH better without it.

Damn your thread necromancy! :D

Mike70
10-Sep-2008, 06:00 PM
Damn your thread necromancy! :D

blame my extreme state of boredom.

is it 3:30 yet?

just imagine khardis with -3,243 rep. that'd be funny.

Andy
10-Sep-2008, 06:01 PM
I Dont think the rep system had any fans here, so i very much doubt it will be making a return :).

darth los
10-Sep-2008, 06:18 PM
i couldn't stand it either. in fact, i was one of the most vocal opponents of it. i do wonder if it'll ever return and i certainly hope it doesn't.

Well it's it's only a matter of time before the bigs weigh in on this but i'd wager it's gone for good.

Chic Freak
10-Sep-2008, 07:24 PM
just imagine khardis with -3,243 rep. that'd be funny.

It would be a liberal media conspiracy set in motion against him by the far-left rights-snatchers, is what it would be :lol:

Ooh, I'm such a biatch.

capncnut
10-Sep-2008, 09:27 PM
Like I said to Andy a little while ago, I cruise a lot of forums where the flaming assholes have maxed rep points, whereas a lot of the good time posters have nil. It's a system too easily abused.

Danny
10-Sep-2008, 10:29 PM
there pointless for anything except people pised off so keep em gone.

DjfunkmasterG
11-Sep-2008, 12:40 AM
PLEASE, do not bring the rep system back. That thing was a headache, especially when the assholes were trolling the forums.

clanglee
11-Sep-2008, 01:07 AM
This whole rep thing must have been way before my time. Sounds like it didn't work out too well. Ahh well. . .

Neil
11-Sep-2008, 07:36 AM
Here was my first ever comment on the reputation system:-

The other thing is usually (IMHO) reputation is a reward for advice. eg: On a technical forum if someone had clearly spent time looking into something for you and given you a nice clear reply even with example code, you'd give them some reputation points as a thank you...

On the forums here, it's hard to see how "reputation" could be used as such a reward? Has anyone seen it used on forums like these, and not on "technical" subject discussions?

We most certainly do not want it back...

Mike70
11-Sep-2008, 10:59 AM
well, i resurrected this thread to see what we all thought about the rep system now that we are a few years down the road. as i expected, nobody wants it to come back. i know that i certainly don't ever want to see it again but i wanted to hear from some other folks.

i agree with the rest of you, the rep system needs to continue to sleep with the fishes in a set of nice fitting concrete shoes.