PDA

View Full Version : UMD's being phased out.

p2501
17-Jul-2006, 03:46 PM
Trying to back track an article.

aparently Sony finally dropped a press release indicating that they are no longer going to be producing UMD's by Q4 2006. and will switch over to stick memory to supply movies to the unit. (i suspect this will tie into their download services). anyways i'm trying to locate the press release or a new article encapsulating it.

anyone seen this?

Bunker65
17-Jul-2006, 04:09 PM
I found this article:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060713-7258.html

Hopefully that's what you were looking for :).

p2501
17-Jul-2006, 04:10 PM
that'll do. thanks.

MinionZombie
17-Jul-2006, 04:53 PM
UMD can kiss my rosy white ass, what an utterly, unbelievably retarded format. Who the hell wants to watch a widescreen, BIG extravaganza like Lord of the Rings on a piffling little screen the size of your palm with speakers the size of peanuts.

Surely it's dumb-dumb obvious (especially with not being able to play the discs on standard DVD players) that in this day and age of home cinemas that UMD was going to be the black sheep of movie disc tech, lol.

$ony - idiots.

Danny
17-Jul-2006, 04:53 PM
i cant say im surprised.

*que image of sony going down to the noise of a plane crashing*

gizmondo anyone?:rockbrow:

p2501
17-Jul-2006, 05:03 PM
UMD can kiss my rosy white ass, what an utterly, unbelievably retarded format. Who the hell wants to watch a widescreen, BIG extravaganza like Lord of the Rings on a piffling little screen the size of your palm with speakers the size of peanuts.

Surely it's dumb-dumb obvious (especially with not being able to play the discs on standard DVD players) that in this day and age of home cinemas that UMD was going to be the black sheep of movie disc tech, lol.

$ony - idiots.

yes and no. i like the format. the discs a hard as hell to damage, and if you haven't see the screen on a psp in a non-retail enviroment, don't knock it. I'm content with the PSP's price tag just for it's video features. to me the fact it plays games is pure gravy.

in truth what killed the UMD format was A the lack of a home UMD/PSP player, and the overall price. $25-20 bucks for a single video simply wasn't worth it. hence why i buy mine used from Gamestop, or eBay.

Craptacular pics from my cammy phone at werk.

far
http://static.flickr.com/69/191844146_e7b044f46e.jpg?v=0

close
http://static.flickr.com/66/191848351_38578c9eb3.jpg?v=0

MikePizzoff
17-Jul-2006, 05:08 PM
My buddy's got DOTD 78 for his PSP and, in my opinion, it's really great looking. Colors are great and the clarity is so good on that screen. I guess it's kinda like having a mini HDTV.

p2501
17-Jul-2006, 05:18 PM
My buddy's got DOTD 78 for his PSP and, in my opinion, it's really great looking. Colors are great and the clarity is so good on that screen. I guess it's kinda like having a mini HDTV.

ahahaha, i'm watching that right now.

look one post up.

bassman
17-Jul-2006, 06:47 PM

$ony - idiots.

My thoughts exactly.

DVD's work fine. And on a screen larger than a "Post It" note!

MinionZombie
17-Jul-2006, 11:13 PM
hahaha, doing the two most important things you can ever do - watching Dawn and reading MY posts. :cool:

It's not the quality of the picture I'm complaining about, it's the dinky size. I want a movie on a big screen, anything less than 20 inches just isn't worth it to me ... lol ... and now the floodgate of penis and/or gay jokes opens...

Danny
18-Jul-2006, 12:28 AM
anything less than 20 inches just isn't worth it to me ... lol ... and now the floodgate of penis and/or gay jokes opens...

*raises hand opens gob to speak but decides its better not too*:lol:

p2501
18-Jul-2006, 01:29 AM
hahaha, doing the two most important things you can ever do - watching Dawn and reading MY posts. :cool:

It's not the quality of the picture I'm complaining about, it's the dinky size. I want a movie on a big screen, anything less than 20 inches just isn't worth it to me ... lol ... and now the floodgate of penis and/or gay jokes opens...

fair point but at 20 inches you loose alot of portability. it's the reason i try not to lug around a laptop with me. so to that end the picture quality and size on the psp is absolutely kick ass.

general tbag
18-Jul-2006, 04:11 AM
umd always reminded me of beta max, sony and there own formats.

this only gices fuel of a total flash psp down the road and doing away with the umd altogether. also on a side note, if not mistaken the recordable umds sony promised never hit the market.

Eyebiter
18-Jul-2006, 12:20 PM
Well in the short term UMD disk prices should fall as the stores sell off their inventory. If there are movies like Dawn 78 you want now is a good time to find them.

p2501
18-Jul-2006, 01:20 PM
bingo. i've been waiting for this to happen.

on the flip side the i expect the prices for flash memory to go up.

umd always reminded me of beta max, sony and there own formats.

this only gices fuel of a total flash psp down the road and doing away with the umd altogether. also on a side note, if not mistaken the recordable umds sony promised never hit the market.

fair enough. but most companies have their own propritary formats now days. look at digital cameras, how many of them offer cross compatable media?

Propritary fromats are perhaps the weakest way manufacturers lock in customers to their brand.

general tbag
18-Jul-2006, 01:49 PM
bingo. i've been waiting for this to happen.

on the flip side the i expect the prices for flash memory to go up.

fair enough. but most companies have their own propritary formats now days. look at digital cameras, how many of them offer cross compatable media?

Propritary fromats are perhaps the weakest way manufacturers lock in customers to their brand.

i could of told you umd would of flopped from launch , people are sick and tired of buying the same movie on each different platforms. if the umd recordable discs would of been avaliable, it probaly would of survived. but that memory slot was death to it.

as far as memory prices they are dropping pretty fast. last year i got a 1 gig version for 120 cdn and that was considered cheap .

1GB $27.60
2GB $55.99
4GB $146.24

you can also use a cable and use cf or any other memory or pop a 2.5hdd on it.

i hope they go to a flash memory type deal , it make it feel less fragile.