PDA

View Full Version : Day of the Dead Remake Cast Announced

punkmisfitsguy
18-Jul-2006, 11:43 PM
On G4 tv just now.

Ving Rhames, Mena Suvari, Michael Welch, Annalynne McCord, Stark Sands and Nick Cannon

sorry if it is a repost

EvilNed
19-Jul-2006, 12:35 AM
Mena Suvari? What the ****?

Monrozombi
19-Jul-2006, 12:41 AM
Wow, can this get any worse???

OddDNA
19-Jul-2006, 12:43 AM
If this is the cast all hope is lost. They are all kids?

Day of the Lord of the Flies of the dead!

Guru ofthe Dead
19-Jul-2006, 04:28 AM
Well maybe I can find some sucker to buy my ticket. I won't pay for this one.

Mr.E
20-Jul-2006, 01:55 AM
Ving Rhames is gonna play Capt. Rhodes!?!?!
Nick Cannon is Salazar!?!

Read this:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=91

:dead:

darth los
20-Jul-2006, 02:15 AM
Is this going to be a continuation of the YAWN 04' Universe? I hope the zombies aren't runners. I'm holding out hope that someone besides GAR will make a good zombie flick. Let's not kid ourselves, GAR is the best to ever do it, this is literaly HIS genre, but unless you want to wait 15 years for his next zombie movie we have to hope that someone can get the formula right. It's kind of like the N.B.A. I'm a huge fan. Michael Jordan was the best to ever play, but guess what, he's not here anymore. Should I just stop watching all together? Is michael bigger than the game? Is GAR bigger than the genre? I guess that it's a personal question that we all must answer individually. I like many others I will fork over the ten bucks and most likely be disappointed... again. What a cruel joke.:moon: :lol:

AcesandEights
20-Jul-2006, 02:39 AM
Ving Rhames is gonna play Capt. Rhodes!?!?!

Well, that certainly is...interesting.

Director Steve Miner’s in Bulgaria right now prepping for the shoot...

Bulgaria!?

Nick Cannon is playing Salazar, and people are going to see him in a whole new light after this role.

God, I hope so. Nick Cannon, in his current incarnation, doesn't scream serious, or even reasonably believable actor. I hope I am surprised.

thecoldwarrior
20-Jul-2006, 03:25 AM
I actually cant wait to see it!!! I have not seen a Universal movie I did not like. My only gripe is that Rhames should not be in both. It just does not make sense to me. As for the others, I dont know any of them by name. If they are, as said, all kids then that does not sound promising (i am of course assuming you mean teens or better, not actuall kids ie under teens). You know if we all chipped in a mear $100,000 a day we could suport a zombie series, or for much less just put it on scifi. Hehe, yeah right.

AcesandEights
20-Jul-2006, 04:55 AM
If they are, as said, all kids then that does not sound promising (i am of course assuming you mean teens or better, not actuall kids ie under teens).

I don't know if the cast can generally be refered to as kids, but they are currently skewing younger than the original, but who knows what roles some of these people will be playing. Their age may or may not be suitable depending on the film and how it's presented.

We don't know enough about the rest of the cast to say for certain how the general age of the cast will average out, of course.

Rhames is 47
Stark Sands is age 28
Suvari is 27
Cannon is 26
Annalyne McCord age unknown (assumed mid to late 20s)
Michael Welch is 19

Compare to the ages of the actors in Day when principal filming was done (ages are approximations based on what info I could get)

Richard Liberty was 54
Jarlath Conroy was 41 (damn, he looked older than that)
Gary Klar was 39
Terry Alexander was 38
Sherman Howard was 37
Joseph Pilato was 36
Lori Cardille was 31
Ralph Marrero (Rickles) was 28
Nicotero was 22
John Amplas (Fisher) was ??? (mid-twenties, I guess)
Taso Stavrakis (Torrez) ???
Phil Kellams (Miller) ???
Anthony Dileo Jr. ???

MinionZombie
20-Jul-2006, 10:34 AM
omfg ... this movie DEFINATLEY WILL SUCK. What's with all the MTV hip hoppers?

pfft, it won't be legendary like the original. Like all of these sh*tty remakes, they come out, cause a splash and temporary distraction, then they fade out and p*ss off. That cast list couldn't be more wrong.

Day of the Remake will suck so many balls there won't be any balls left dry on the planet, it's official.

Below 30 are still "kids". Day had adults taking it seriously, DOTR has a bunch of whiney Californian smoothie slurpers that attend trendy parties before getting papped on the way out, they wear excessively trendy clothes and at least half of them are well known (at least in America, I've got fudge all idea who Nick Cannon is, though he looks like a complete wanker who definately doesn't fit a zombie cast in any way possible).

Ack, Day of the Remake can suck my ass and like it, I certainly won't be paying to see it once...

Geophyrd
20-Jul-2006, 12:20 PM
If we didn't dig the zombie flicks, why are you on this site? I can understand that its not a GAR movie (despite the title, DOTD 04 wasn't GAR but it was good) but jeez...chill. And you will see it, if for no other reason than to have something to kvetch about..

paulannett
20-Jul-2006, 02:36 PM
Sorry, I think I'm in the wrong forum... I could have swore this was the Dead Discussion forum, not the whiny little ****ers forum. This post also applies to the Land of the Dead board.

Geophryd, you hit the nail on the head.

:mad:

Phildogger
20-Jul-2006, 02:55 PM
We have earned the right to bitch. When Zombie films were uncool, we were there. When Zombie films were back in fashion, we were there. When Japanese remakes were in style, we were Zombie Fans.

This is bad news. I was afraid for the Dawn remake, but I ended up liking it. This looks like worse news. Mena Suvari? god help us. That wall-eyed waif can't act. nick Cannon? Do we really need a "pimp my Zombie" movie?

We need movies with ADULTS. Not Infants! GAR is gonna puke when he sees this one.

:mad:

p2501
20-Jul-2006, 05:33 PM
On G4 tv just now.

Ving Rhames, Mena Suvari, Michael Welch, Annalynne McCord, Stark Sands and Nick Cannon

sorry if it is a repost

Day of the Dead 2k7: it's chock full 'o' Fail.

zombiegirl
20-Jul-2006, 06:21 PM
I'm not exactly doing back flips with the cast that was chosen for this movie, nor do I like the fact that it is a remake, but I will reserve judgement and take the movie for it's own merits. It is after all a zombie movie and that is it's most redeeming quality.
Dawn 04 wasn't exactly a masterpiece either but if you ignore the title and don't watch it like a remake it's enjoyable. :)

bassman
20-Jul-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm not exactly doing back flips with the cast that was chosen for this movie, nor do I like the fact that it is a remake, but I will reserve judgement and take the movie for it's own merits. It is after all a zombie movie and that is it's most redeeming quality.
Dawn 04 wasn't exactly a masterpiece either but if you ignore the title and don't watch it like a remake it's enjoyable. :)

I just wanted to add to/alter your comments alittle.....

What you should have said was: If you completely shut down your brain, enter a vegetable, coma-like state, and watch MTV programming....You'll think it's a great film!:p

thecoldwarrior
20-Jul-2006, 08:34 PM
Yup, thats what I figured and I think they might be a little young. It wil really depend more on IF they can do a good job or not. I'm several months away from 30, so I guess I still fit in this catagory. I just mean I want the movie to be good, if they can pull it off then no prob with me. Its just that from a mass audience, sales point of view, you dont normally get a quality film.

Anarchist86ed
20-Jul-2006, 08:54 PM
You gotta be frakking kidding me.......

OddDNA
20-Jul-2006, 08:54 PM
Dawn04 at least let me hold out hope (In the end I liked it) because while that cast was not exactly what I hoped for it was believable. Ving Rhames? sure I can see him as a tough guys beating up zombies. Sarah Polly...ehh I liked go, she seems like she could be vaulnerable and street smart simultaniously Mekhi Phifer...sure why not...

But this cast on the other hand...Not a single one barring Ving has one character trait to their credit...if they added one maybe but not a whole cast of OC rejects. Would the US govt. really trust a research project of that magnitude to a bunch of 20-somethings? and how many 20-somethings have a PHD + experience in any branch of science?

If we didn't dig the zombie flicks, why are you on this site? I can understand that its not a GAR movie (despite the title, DOTD 04 wasn't GAR but it was good) but jeez...chill. And you will see it, if for no other reason than to have something to kvetch about..

I love zombie movies, I love GAR zombie movies perticularly. It just seems movies like this are making a mockery of the foundation GAR laid. I know I might seem like I am going a little overboard, but I am not. To me a man made a GREAT film and it is being re-hashed subpar for a quick buck. Like the Ghandi II skit for Wierd Al's UHF...it was funny because it is so anti what the movie originally was.

It is hard enough telling people my fav movie is Dawn of the Dead then explaining that is the not the 2004 one but made in the 70's and if you watch it openmindedly you may think it is a good film. When all they know of the zombie Genre is the crap that is being pumped out now. While they roll thier eyes and walk away.

bassman
20-Jul-2006, 09:07 PM
Omar Epps...sure why not...

Omar Epps? Omar Epps wasn't in "Yawn".

You must be thinking of Mekhi "there are certain rocks with better acting skills and personality than myself" Phifer.

Svengoolie
20-Jul-2006, 09:37 PM
It is hard enough telling people my fav movie is Dawn of the Dead then explaining that is the not the 2004 one but made in the 70's and if you watch it openmindedly you may think it is a good film. When all they know of the zombie Genre is the crap that is being pumped out now. While they roll thier eyes and walk away.

Not hardly.

Zombie fans had been getting that kind of reaction from "normal" folks for over twenty years before Dawn 04, RE, 28 Days Later, and the rest of the resurgence hit the scene just a few short years ago.

The new stuff has pretty much gotten the same reaction that the old stuff did when it was new almost a lifetime ago: the kids love it (for the most part), the horror freaks are divided, and the general public (those not into zombie flicks or any horror flicks for that matter) could care less, really--at best, their reaction will be the "roll their eyes" thing you were talking about, and at worst they're whipping out the pepper spray...

The zombie sub-genre is villified for two main reasons--the subject matter and the attitudes of the fans themselves.

Personally, I think it's unfair that this prejudice exists because of the subject matter--I don't think it's any more far out than any other sci-fi or horror sub-genre like vampires or even Star Trek. It's just different.

But, as for the fans....if people act in real life the way they do online...then it's no wonder the general public is leary of zombie fans. :rolleyes:

BTW, you were in such a hurry to slam a film that you've never seen....

Would the US govt. really trust a research project of that magnitude to a bunch of 20-somethings? and how many 20-somethings have a PHD + experience in any branch of science?

Since there is a presence of a character named Salazar, I'm going to assume that this one is going to be based at least in part on the original script for Day of the Dead. In that script, Sarah wasn't a PHD...she was just a survivor--so casting Mena in that role isn't as far out as you might think.

Debbieangel
20-Jul-2006, 11:01 PM
Hey I can remember waiting and waiting and waiting for them to make a zombie movie...I am glad to see more and more of them coming out!!!
So we can whine all we want atleast they are there for us to view right? By the why do ya want cheese with your whine? just kidding!!
Really, tho some of the zombie movies they have out there smell worse than the zombies like "Burial Ground" now that one stunk!!! That one needs shot,burned and buried never to come back!!!
I think it is going to be really interesting to see Ving do "Rhodes" for sure. Heres hoping its worth putting the bucks down to see"fingers crossed".
Hey does anybody know where it is going to be filmed?

OddDNA
21-Jul-2006, 12:27 AM
Not hardly.

Zombie fans had been getting that kind of reaction from "normal" folks for over twenty years before Dawn 04, RE, 28 Days Later, and the rest of the resurgence hit the scene just a few short years ago.

The new stuff has pretty much gotten the same reaction that the old stuff did when it was new almost a lifetime ago: the kids love it (for the most part), the horror freaks are divided, and the general public (those not into zombie flicks or any horror flicks for that matter) could care less, really--at best, their reaction will be the "roll their eyes" thing you were talking about, and at worst they're whipping out the pepper spray...

The zombie sub-genre is villified for two main reasons--the subject matter and the attitudes of the fans themselves.

Personally, I think it's unfair that this prejudice exists because of the subject matter--I don't think it's any more far out than any other sci-fi or horror sub-genre like vampires or even Star Trek. It's just different.

Well before those dumb movies came out most people knew NOTLD mostly and they would at least give Dawn a chance, now since every zombie movies sux for 20 years they are harder to convince.

Cody
21-Jul-2006, 03:51 AM
im going to bed and having a nightmare tonight

MinionZombie
21-Jul-2006, 08:09 AM
Damn straight, since when did a forum load of zombie fans have to agree. Also, we want GOOD zombie films, not blatant tosh. Guaranteed Day of the Remake WILL suck so many, many, many balls. It's clearly going down Hollywood's "paint by numbers" style of construction...which is a surefire sign of suckiness.

HLS
21-Jul-2006, 03:19 PM
On G4 tv just now.

sorry if it is a repost

I never heard of those actors

DjfunkmasterG
21-Jul-2006, 03:24 PM
I never heard of those actors

WHAT!

Ving Rhames - Dawn 2004, Pulp Fiction
Mena Suvari - American Beauty
Nick cannon - Love Don't Cost a Thing, Drumline

So far with Mena and Ving the cast is ok.

They need to cast Vincent Chase and Johnny Drama.

I vote Johnny Drama as Steel, and Vincent as Miguel! :D

p2501
21-Jul-2006, 04:46 PM
WHAT!
:D

consider the source. :confused:

Graebel
21-Jul-2006, 11:58 PM
I liked Dawn 04.......but when I read the cast list of this I kinda threw up in my mouth.:dead: Mena Suvari as Sarah????????

If we have to have a teeny bopper at least pick a semi-realistic one. JC on a pogostick.

That said, of course I will watch it. I'll just have to *sniff* wait until it comes out on DVD.

Moon Knight
22-Jul-2006, 05:57 AM
"Obviously, we’re all extremely excited about landing this cast,” Reddick tells Fango. "Mena Suvari has the intelligence, strength and beauty needed for the role of Sarah, and Ving…well, he’s the man, what more can I say? Nick Cannon is playing Salazar, and people are going to see him in a whole new light after this role."

I like Ving, but again in a dead film as a different character? I dont know. Nick Cannon does not belong in this film, but judging by how this remake is getting handled, maybe he does.

so sad.

Maitreya
22-Jul-2006, 07:38 AM
While I'm not too thrilled with the way they chose the cast, I say always look on the bright side! There's no POSSIBLE way that this can be worse than Contagium or either House of the Dead.

No sci-fi quality filming! No zombies that feast on humans but can still magically talk! No flashes to video game segments! No zombie transmissions by mosquito bites! No indestructable thermos! My guess is there's also no turning while having a conversation with someone and not having a death/reanimation time!

All in all I'd say they're on the right track then

general tbag
22-Jul-2006, 09:49 AM
i cant see rhames as rhodes...

another link
http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_9403.html

MinionZombie
22-Jul-2006, 10:39 AM
I can't see any of these moops as anyone in the movie, that cast couldn't be more wrong ... like Graebel said, I'll watch it - but I certainly won't pay for the displeasure ... and I'll only see it to see how utterly uselessly awful it is, which will give me more fuel with which to burn it with. :lol:

AcesandEights
22-Jul-2006, 11:37 AM
I liked Dawn 04.......but when I read the cast list of this I kinda threw up in my mouth.:dead: Mena Suvari as Sarah????????

If we have to have a teeny bopper at least pick a semi-realistic one.

She's like a year younger than you, Graebel. Sheesh, you kids and your overreactions :p

Mikey
22-Jul-2006, 01:06 PM
im going to bed and having a nightmare tonight
You have the coolest avatar I've seen.

Graebel
22-Jul-2006, 04:08 PM
She's like a year younger than you, Graebel. Sheesh, you kids and your overreactions :p

Mena Suvari comes across as a girl, not a woman. Sarah was a woman. Age matters less than presentation IMO.

That'd be like casting Mena as Sarah Connor instead of Linda Hamilton in T2.:dead: Completely bizarre casting choice.

Some awesome young actresses have made outstanding action heroines - Sigourney comes to mind in Alien. But we're talking about an actress whose big break was American Pie.

MikePizzoff
22-Jul-2006, 04:22 PM
This is going to be a stupid ****ing teeny-bopper movie. Why the hell did they have to get a cast so young?! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh well, not like I was looking forward to this anyway.

coma
22-Jul-2006, 04:31 PM
Day of the Remake will suck so many balls there won't be any balls left dry on the planet, it's official.

Below 30 are still "kids". Day had adults taking it seriously, DOTR has a bunch of whiney Californian smoothie slurpers that attend trendy parties before getting papped on the way out, they wear excessively trendy clothes and at least half of them are well known (at least in America, I've got fudge all idea who Nick Cannon is, though he looks like a complete wanker who definately doesn't fit a zombie cast in any way possible).

Thats Balls comment is funny as hell, and sadly, true.

I think Nick Cannon is a backstreet boy or something.
EDIT:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0134244/
not backstreet, but probabl;y a "Street smart urban black guy". I hate to inform Hollywood, but I have known my share of Book reading, chill black guys,and plain old normal guys. I'd bet anyhing that he'll play all rapperish/gangster.
Ving Rames sucks. He's always the same with that fake ass barry white voice.
Pilato is King.
KING, I tell you!!!!

WHAT!

They need to cast Vincent Chase and Johnny Drama.

I vote Johnny Drama as Steel, and Vincent as Miguel! :D

I think that would be WAYY better. for real.
Kevin Dillon in the Blob remake?
Now THAT'S an entertaining crapfest!!!!

MinionZombie
22-Jul-2006, 05:01 PM
But we're talking about an actress whose big break was American Pie.

Damn straight, I mean how crappy must her career be going that she's gotta star in a turdy remake of a cult horror movie for horror fans only? lol ... from prestige like American Beauty to skulking around underground in a zombie pic directed by Steve "I've Lost My Touch" Miner...lol, poor girl. :lol:

Sir James Forbes
24-Jul-2006, 11:45 AM
Suddenly, I've lost the excitement.

After surviving Dawn, I was hoping that they either blasted the initial onslaught, or got back on the fueless boat and drifted somewhere else. Now we'll never know. Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed Dawn04 a lot, especially considering I thought it was blasphemy originally to be remaking this film at all. But having Ving as Rhodes! Come on, all continutiy will now be lost. And Rhodes was a ******* anyway. How can one go from watching the hero of Dawn to seeing him as the villian? Unless, of course, this remake paints him as the nice guy?

deadwrtr
25-Jul-2006, 01:59 PM
Willem Dafoe. Picture it: Shoot that woman or YOU'RE dead.

bassman
25-Jul-2006, 02:21 PM

Nice observation. Never thought about that but it sounds perfect. He's got that bad-a** look about him. His stares, too.....perfect.

Dafoe is the man.

"Then the worm has definitely turned for you, man. Feel good? Feelin' good is good enough" - Dafoe as Elias in "Platoon"

coma
25-Jul-2006, 04:26 PM
Best casting change ever.
Nice!:)

Cykotic
25-Jul-2006, 04:34 PM
I'm not gonna judge it until I see it...

Adrenochrome
25-Jul-2006, 04:45 PM
He's the only person I could see playing Rhodes. Nice call!

But I doubt that thxleo will like this idea....that is, if he's seen the Boondock Saints.;)
The one scene where he's swaying and dancing to the music, figuring out the crime-scene....classic Dafoe

jim102016
26-Jul-2006, 07:18 AM
Very rarely can you compare to the classics, but its nice to see a DAY with some prospects...how many of you wanted to take a mallet and bang away at your nuts after about ten minutes of Continuem? Enough said.

I think its a mistake to cast Ving Rhames, he's already been in the DAWN remake....but I'm sure the studio and maybe the director too have their eyes on the prize ($$$) and aren't worried about the small details such as Mr. Rhames being in two remakes of two movies that were originally from the same great director a decade apart from one another?

Any idea why they chose Bulgaria/Romania for the filming? Surely there are closer places to film that are cheaper on the wallet than the states. Hopefully we won't see them running around in Cold War-era Soviet uniforms with AK-47s pretending to be Americans.

Overall, it'll be a while before Mr. Romero has another movie going (hopefully not too long) so this remake may hold off the hunger pains until he comes to town again. But, Ving Rhames needs to go! Can anyone suggest a better, younger actor? Maybe we can start a petition?

thxleo
29-Jul-2006, 01:24 AM
I think they should write in a scene where Ving Rhames gets bit by a zombie and another guy asks if he is okay. He could then say..."Nah man. I'm pretty ****in' far from okay." Also, how about a scene where he sees a zombie that he has been looking for, like Bub maybe, and he yells "Mutha****a!". Then we could have him get captured by the scientific team in the mine and they anally rape him. That would rock.

Kaos
29-Jul-2006, 04:48 AM
Since we have nicknames for movies (Yawn 2K4 et al). I'll throw in a new one for the Day remake....Gay 2K7. And if that is not PC enough, then Ghey 2K7.

(But you know I'm gonna watch it though!)

ngm231
30-Jul-2006, 12:40 AM
why do they have to make remakes of everything, andwhy do they have to castsuch ****ty actors. :mad: *except for ving rhames