PDA

View Full Version : Cameron Romero directs "The Screening"

Neil
26-Jul-2006, 05:56 PM
Like father like son it would seem - Cameron Romero is following in his father's footsteps and has directed a horror film called "The Screening".

The Screening
Synopsis

“Do for the eye what the phonograph does for the ear” – Thomas Alva Edison, 1888.

Thomas A. Edison gave birth to the motion picture, with the invention of the “Kinetoscope”. It created the ability to capture life and movement on film. Only it was the ability to capture death that interested Edison’s unknown assistant Rupert Borgia.

Hanged for the murders he committed to film, Rupert Borgia considered himself an artist. Coming from a family bloodline wrought with murdering Popes and ruthless dictators, Rupert lived up to his name. His art was death painted across a canvas of flesh.

New Jersey, 1976, almost 100 years later, Luther Borgia picks up where his ancestor unwillingly left off. Luther is accosted by law enforcement after a battered woman claimed she was kidnapped and tortured in the basement of his farm house. The police recovered thirteen cans of used super 8mm film, all containing footage of his depraved acts.

Rumors leak from within the legal proceedings that anyone found watching the footage became psychologically unsound. The footage is then played for the jury at Luther Borgia’s trial. Regardless of said rumors, the films were shown to the members of the jury. To this date no comments have been made from anyone in that court room on the events that followed.

Thirty years, after the trial the Lewton Theater has planned an event. Hundreds of special invitations have been sent. Live music and dancers are scheduled. A band named “Borgia” that stands for everything that Luther Borgia was, is put on the bill as hosts. Certain VIP members of the press are brought in to cover the event, an event that revolves entirely around the Borgia name. It’s the first opportunity since the trial and execution of Luther Borgia to screen the films that he and his infamous ancestor so passionately created.

No one knows who organized the event. No one knows if the rumors surrounding the films are true. No one seems to have the answers…

“By entering the Lewton Theater, you hereby absolve all those associated with this evening’s event from any liability in regard to your health, state of mind or any force majeure that may result in personal injury or damage to yourself or your belongings…”

“Enjoy the show.”
-The Lewton Theater

Cameron Romero's bio

Cameron Romero was born with the filmmaking gene. The son of famed George A. Romero, Cameron has aspired to become a filmmaker from the moment he walked onto the set of “Knightriders.”

Working his way up the chain, Cameron started as a Production Assistant for several location-based productions in the early 90’s before shifting focus to the business / marketing side of the industry for almost a decade.

In the past couple of years; Cameron has careened back into the motion picture industry as a writer / development consultant.

Last year, Cameron’s PR / Marketing company organized the largest non-sporting event in Pittsburgh’s history as celebrities converged on Pittsburgh for the premiere of his father’s last installment, “Land of the Dead.”

Immediately following, Cameron went into pre-production on “The Screening;” originally titled “24FPS,” and since has directed commercials and short films for such corporations as Lending Tree and Verizon.

Cameron is currently helming a team of professionals in the motion picture industry as they prepare to open a new film studio facility outside Pittsburgh that will encompass all aspects of any production from concept / development to pre-production, principal photography and true Hi-Def post production. Batpack Studios will also offer full 3D modeling and animation as well as full motion capture technology. Cameron has been quoted as saying that “Batpack Studios is not a film studio, but is instead, a studio for filmmakers. We don’t have any suits with no on-set experience telling people how to make their movie.”

Stills from "The Screening"

http://www.homepageofthedead.com/media/the_screening_1s.jpg (www.homepageofthedead.com/media/the_screening_1.jpg) http://www.homepageofthedead.com/media/the_screening_2s.jpg (www.homepageofthedead.com/media/the_screening_2.jpg) http://www.homepageofthedead.com/media/the_screening_3s.jpg (www.homepageofthedead.com/media/the_screening_3.jpg) http://www.homepageofthedead.com/media/the_screening_4s.jpg (www.homepageofthedead.com/media/the_screening_4.jpg)

For the official website, which includes loads more info and a trailer, click here! (http://www.screeningthemovie.com)

bassman
26-Jul-2006, 06:07 PM
That's great.

Also, If/When Romero throws in the towel.....maybe the "of the Dead" torch could be passed on to Cameron?:D :D :D

MinionZombie
26-Jul-2006, 10:26 PM
I was reading an email interview he did and it certainly sounds like a cool flick, also checked out the trailer on the official website, and it too looks rather cool. Seems to be plenty of gore on offer, and it certainly is a premise that could pay off quite nicely.

I like the idea of mixed media formats too, however, going HDV as the main format I'm not too sure about...however, I'll wait and see, but of course if the film is wicked then the format doesn't matter (heck, 28 Days Later was shot on a Canon XL1)...

DjfunkmasterG
26-Jul-2006, 10:37 PM
Sounds like a rip off of the The Ring.

Watch a Video tape you die!

Watch the screening you become insane. :rolleyes:

I would rather see him do a dead film, something somewhat original.

MinionZombie
26-Jul-2006, 10:44 PM
How is doing what his dead is best known for straight off the bat original? :lol:

Besides, there's only a handful of stories out there and everybody's been copying everyone else since forever. Like Orson Welles said - everything had already been done when he was on a roll.

(Yes that can be taken with a pinch of salt, you didn't see Terminators running around when old men were muttering "Rose Bud", but the basics of storytelling is what I'm on about).

DjfunkmasterG
26-Jul-2006, 10:50 PM
How is doing what his dead is best known for straight off the bat original? :lol:

Besides, there's only a handful of stories out there and everybody's been copying everyone else since forever. Like Orson Welles said - everything had already been done when he was on a roll.

(Yes that can be taken with a pinch of salt, you didn't see Terminators running around when old men were muttering "Rose Bud", but the basics of storytelling is what I'm on about).

Basic story telling is fine, but face facts the premise is a rip of The Ring movies, whats worse it is a copy of RINGU. Sorry, but I would rather him do one of his dad's scripts for a zombie flick before some half baked rip off of a horror franchise.

Mikey
02-Aug-2006, 12:41 AM
We all know George is getting long in the tooth, and I'm not sure he'll make another dead flick...

So, my question is, does Cameron take the reigns and start to make zombie movies in George's tradition?

Danny
02-Aug-2006, 01:21 AM
hell no, the only person who i think could continue it would be...off the top of my head..... heh, id love to see tim burton do a dead film, with jhonny depp as a zombie:lol:

Fulcifan91
03-Aug-2006, 02:57 AM
If it were up to me, I'd prefer the dead series to stop when George either passes, or just announces that hes not making anymore.

bassman
03-Aug-2006, 12:18 PM
hell no, the only person who i think could continue it would be...off the top of my head..... heh, id love to see tim burton do a dead film, with jhonny depp as a zombie:lol:

ehhh.....Burton has lost my faith over the years. The last film of his that I really liked was "Sleepy Hollow". He's also in the process of making a film adaptation of the musical, "Sweeney Todd". WTF?

He's too much of a artsy-fartsy wannabe, "I'm goth and that's cool" guy these days. I mean, he always was....but at least he made good films at first....

Besides....I don't want to see a zombie movie where they all have scissors for hands....

:p

radiokill
03-Aug-2006, 12:47 PM
He's also in the process of making a film adaptation of the musical, "Sweeney Todd". WTF?

I've been liking the idea of the Sweney Todd adaptation. I loved Corpse Bried and Nightmare Before Christmas. I'd like to him go even darker with a live action musical.

edit: Did anyone ever see Burton's Frankenweenie short? It's on the Nightmare DVD...pretty funny.

I liked Sleepy Hollow, but it's been so long since I've seen it that I don't remember it. I remember thinking that it didn't really seem like Burton.

Who was responsible for the action sequences at the beginning of Saving Private Ryan. Surely it wasn't Spielberg alone? I was thinking whoever was responsible could team with Peter Jackson and someone who could write a good Zombie script......nevermind I'm rambling.

bassman
03-Aug-2006, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I saw Frankenweenie. It was a pretty neat little flick. "Vincent" was good as well. Can't go wrong with a film about the man, Vincent Price.

I think Burton should go back to his roots, call up Paul Ruebens and start working on another "Pee Wee" flick.:D

But about who I would like to see direct a zombie flick...
It would be nice to see David Fincher(Fight Club, Seven, Zodiac - I'm counting the days for this one), Robert Rodriquez, or Quintin Tarantino do a zombie flick. Of course, the latter two are. "Grindhouse" baby!

radiokill
03-Aug-2006, 01:13 PM
I think Burton should go back to his roots, call up Paul Ruebens and start working on another "Pee Wee" flick.

Could you see Pee Wee fleeing from zombies on his bicycle? I just a got mental picture and couldn't help laughing.:lol:

I've wondered about Tarantino doing a zombie flick. Seems like his type of thing.

bassman
03-Aug-2006, 01:23 PM
Could you see Pee Wee fleeing from zombies on his bicycle? I just a got mental picture and couldn't help laughing.:lol:

I've wondered about Tarantino doing a zombie flick. Seems like his type of thing.

He kind of is. He and Rodriquez are making two flicks that will be put together in a flick called "Grindhouse". Rodriquez is directing the zombie segment while Tarantino is directing a slasher segment. Of course.....you know they will work together on them both. So we've got a zombie film from them both, technically.

Besides, "From Dusk Till Dawn" kicks a whole hell of alot of a** and that was those two teaming up. I can't wait for "Grindhouse" next year...

Speaking of Pee Wee(Paul Ruebens) did anyone see him on "Reno 911" earlier this week? Funny, funny stuff.

radiokill
03-Aug-2006, 01:33 PM
He kind of is. He and Rodriquez are making two flicks that will be put together in a flick called "Grindhouse". Rodriquez is directing the zombie segment while Tarantino is directing a slasher segment. Of course.....you know they will work together on them both. So we've got a zombie film from them both, technically.

Besides, "From Dusk Till Dawn" kicks a whole hell of alot of a** and that was those two teaming up. I can't wait for "Grindhouse" next year...

Speaking of Pee Wee(Paul Ruebens) did anyone see him on "Reno 911" earlier this week? Funny, funny stuff.

I missed reno...wish I had tivo.
That's great news about Tarantino and Rodriquez, though.

Danny
03-Aug-2006, 11:11 PM
pee wee herman? *shudders*....

and i think burton would pull of a dead film, but as long as he got chemical sprayed before shooting to make sure danny elfman didnt sneak in with him, he did some good work but that would ruin a dead film.

if hes still alive, if not this just sounds more stupid than it should.

bassman
04-Aug-2006, 12:15 PM
pee wee herman? *shudders*....

and i think burton would pull of a dead film, but as long as he got chemical sprayed before shooting to make sure danny elfman didnt sneak in with him, he did some good work but that would ruin a dead film.

if hes still alive, if not this just sounds more stupid than it should.

I love Danny Elfman's work, man. Oingo Boingo, baby!:p

bassman
22-Aug-2006, 01:44 PM
The trailer has been released....

www.screeningthemovie.com (http://www.screeningthemovie.com)

Danny
30-Aug-2006, 01:46 AM
well its safe to say that looks like crap, but since he didnt put his dads work as one of his influences i aint surprised.:p

capncnut
14-Oct-2006, 09:18 PM
well its safe to say that looks like crap, but since he didnt put his dads work as one of his influences i aint surprised.:p

I didn't think it looked too bad for a first stab (no pun). It seems to be a sort of 28 Days Later/Demons hybrid which is fine by me. The more this man perfects his craft, the more prepared he'll be when that innevitable torch gets handed down. The gore sequences look great!

MinionZombie
15-Oct-2006, 11:01 AM
Indeed, I too am keeping an open mind, it's clearly a small budget indie production, but that's often where the best films are made. The Screening should at least be good for a couple of gory viewings, I'm looking forward to it. And likewise - practice makes perfect for the inevitable bearer of the Romero torch...

capncnut
15-Oct-2006, 08:09 PM
Indeed, I too am keeping an open mind, it's clearly a small budget indie production, but that's often where the best films are made.

Totally agree, and not just horror films either. Artists such as Gaspar Noe, Larry Clarke and Richard Linklater have made PHENOMENAL indie flicks in the past. Then what happens to 'em? 5 years later they become 'cult classics' and end up earning the major studios (hiss) millions of $$$!