PDA

View Full Version : My idea: Stolen!!

Gib
27-Jul-2006, 01:46 AM
Gah!

I was working on a piece for the fiction section that took place largely underground. The other day I see trailers for the movie The Descent.

I lost my story in a fire and now have lost any motivation to re-write it, as it'll look too much like a film-inspired story (though I guess ina way all Zombie stories are).

Ah well...there might be another unique idea rattling around in my noggin.

Maybe...

paulannett
28-Jul-2006, 03:54 PM
The Descent has been out for nearly two years now (though, it's being re-released in the US).

But yep, I think most writers have had entire stories or scenes used in films...

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2006, 04:50 PM
Besides, it happens quite often, people have the same/similar ideas - just look at the whole Da Vinci Code debacle with those poor-ass writers looking to mooch some money out of a crap, yet really successful, book which had a similar theme.

Think about it, 6.3 billion people in the world, two people are bound to have the same idea quite often, it's just a matter of who happens to get it down first (by chance).

Perhaps you could rejig the idea?

Ooh, there was another underground monster movie, I forget the name, but it looked complete tosh and came out at the same time as The Descent did and Neil Marshall commented on it being similar (although he had written his flick without any knowledge of the other project). Needless to say, The Descent was the superior flick.

Dawg
28-Jul-2006, 08:10 PM
Armaggeon vs. Deep Impact
Twister vs. Tornado
Pirates of the Caribbean vs. Pirates vs. some Lance Henikensen flick
The Descent vs. The Cave vs. The Cavern
etc
etc
etc

Most of the time a big time movie comes out and there are those who leech off of it to make a quick buck with an inferior product. Sometimes it is two studios with a similar movie the same year.

Just the way it happens.

;) Dawg

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2006, 09:43 PM
Or you have a situation like The Island ... looking a lot like THX1138 :rockbrow:

What happened with that "Clonus Horror" thing, did the guy who made that little seen flick get any money out of Bay? At least The Island had Scarlett Johansson! :p

Adrenochrome
28-Jul-2006, 09:51 PM
Or you have a situation like The Island ... looking a lot like THX1138 :rockbrow:

What happened with that "Clonus Horror" thing, did the guy who made that little seen flick get any money out of Bay? At least The Island had Scarlett Johansson! :p
Logan's Run **cough cough**

I remember seeing The Clonus Horror when I was a kid...thought it was a great story....THX1138 is one of my favorite flicks of all time.......The ONLY thing good about The Island was Johansson....

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Scarlett Johansson

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/entertainment/2006-06/09/xin_510603091049888170462.jpg

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2006, 10:07 PM
*right click ... save picture*

That's going straight in the Scarlett Johansson folder for future amusement :lol:. I remember when me and a mate went to see The Island in the cinema, we just gawped at SJ throughout, it was great. Then we saw Fantastic Four and gawped at Jessica Alba for the entirety ... that was a good day. :D

MikePizzoff
28-Jul-2006, 10:20 PM
Gah!

I was working on a piece for the fiction section that took place largely underground. The other day I see trailers for the movie The Descent.

I lost my story in a fire and now have lost any motivation to re-write it, as it'll look too much like a film-inspired story (though I guess ina way all Zombie stories are).

Ah well...there might be another unique idea rattling around in my noggin.

Maybe...

Da' su' fo' you! (That sucks for you.)

Danny
30-Jul-2006, 03:16 AM
Ooh, there was another underground monster movie, I forget the name, but it looked complete tosh and came out at the same time as The Descent did and Neil Marshall commented on it being similar (although he had written his flick without any knowledge of the other project). Needless to say, The Descent was the superior flick.

yeah i saw a film like the blair witch (one of my al time favs) shot in the exact same way but involveing aliens around a farm house, it was good, cheap budget even compared to blair (witch or tony, you decide:shifty: ), but very good nonetheless, but was missed in favor of the blair witch.