PDA

View Full Version : Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddler's Green review...

AssassinFromHell
28-Jul-2006, 02:57 AM
RzYyahlDaNM

Check that, it's a riot. :D

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2006, 01:01 PM
*Moved this into Games Discussion, while it is Land of the Dead, it's a game, so...:cool:*

AcesandEights
28-Jul-2006, 01:01 PM
'This game was supposed to be payback, for the Master.'

/me Snickers

Damn, two paws out of a possible 10...

That was funny, by the way. Thanks.

Wooley
29-Jul-2006, 05:53 AM
Pretty good. The game needed more zombies. The hardest levels were the first ones, when you are seriously ammo supply deficient. Still, not a horrible game for $20 bucks, and with the mods, I can get my hordes with different maps, and there are some where if you are bitten, you eventually die and become a zombie yourself.

erisi236
29-Jul-2006, 04:52 PM
Heh, even that review is off, he keeps talking about brain eating! Those aren't GAR zombies you dumb dog! :D

DJ.doucheBAG
29-Jul-2006, 08:47 PM
is this sorry sorry game (hey game developers: if you shoot a fecking zombie in the head with a shotgun, IT DIES) what became of "City of the Dead" or is that still gonna come out?

MinionZombie
29-Jul-2006, 10:04 PM
Last I heard City of the Dead was "on hold" (something to do with a company takeover/dissolving - i.e. the title changed developer hands). It was said to still be in the making, but that was the last I heard many months ago, it's most likely not going to make it back as they're no doubt comparing it to RTFG (which is a bit of a silly thing to do, City would have been bigger scale and better made than RTFG by the looks of things and even had GAR's own backing).

DJ.doucheBAG
29-Jul-2006, 10:29 PM
thats a damn shame... COTD looked REALLY good. better then Road to Fiddler's Green. that game was sooooooooo half-baked. the physics sucked and that damn redneck ruined the whole damn game. shame.

Trin
01-Aug-2006, 12:31 AM
Hi all,

I read in an investor's report from Kuju that they declared COTD a complete loss and wrote it off at the end of the last fiscal year. While that doesn't mean they can't resurrect it in some form it sure means that they had no plans to as of that time.

I wrote the infection mod for RTFG, and one of the reasons I became so involved in the game is because it appears to be the only moddable zombie game on the horizon.

Like many others I thought the original RTFG was a very poor game, but I think with the mods that are out and the ones that are in development the game becomes a much better experience. The mods are being written by GAR fans by and large, not by gamers.

RTFG will never compare to what we all believe COTD could've been, but if you are a GAR fan you really should check it out, download the mods, and kick some zombie ass.

LouCipherr
04-Aug-2006, 01:08 PM
'This game was supposed to be payback, for the Master.'

/me Snickers

Damn, two paws out of a possible 10...

So they rate the game about as high as they rate the movie, eh?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.. :lol:)

I had some fun with the LOTD game - usually when Dj and I would gang up and slaughter people in the deathmatch games, but even some of the Invasion maps were 'ok' - but overall it was a lousy game. The physics were the most glaring problem, although as a zombie fan and the fact that there aren't many zombie games available aside from LOTD, I put up with it.......for a few weeks. It's since been retired and not played since. I don't think I'll be pulling it back out anytime soon to play it either.

Had this game been built on the Quake or Unreal engine, and more time was taken on the programming, it had the potential to be pretty damn cool - but alas, it fell short.

LC

Trin
07-Aug-2006, 06:33 PM
I wasn't that bothered by the physics like a lot of people, but that may have just been because I was SOOOO bothered by other aspects of the game.

It is actually built on the Unreal engine (UT2003) though I can understand why you might not realize that from playing it.

So they rate the game about as high as they rate the movie, eh?"

You know, I never thought about it before but to me the game and the movie had a lot of the same problems. Both certainly looked like the Romero universe, but they didn't capture the Romero feel of the orignial 3 movies. Both had huge inconsistencies, plot holes, and just junk I couldn't ignore enough to believe I was really in the same universe as Night, Dawn, and Day. Neither was intelligent or thought provoking like I'd come to expect. At least in the case of the computer game I could mod some of the problems away.

Anyway, I can understand shelving the game, but keep in mind that there are better maps and new mods on the way. It's worth checking back to UndeadGames.com every so often to see if something looks good enough to reinstall it.

ROFL - Sorry for the dp, but I've never gotten that video to work until just now. Hilarious!!

That dog makes a lot of sense. He echoed so many of my thoughts about the game.

Danny
07-Aug-2006, 07:55 PM
Last I heard City of the Dead was "on hold" (something to do with a company takeover/dissolving - i.e. the title changed developer hands). It was said to still be in the making, but that was the last I heard many months ago, it's most likely not going to make it back as they're no doubt comparing it to RTFG (which is a bit of a silly thing to do, City would have been bigger scale and better made than RTFG by the looks of things and even had GAR's own backing).

this is tur ebut a bit more to add is that romero didnt want to take part in it any more (i think) but im 100% that i read in a current games magazine that its been permanentley shelved.

Rhino
14-Aug-2006, 04:57 PM
You're right. The game needed more zombies, and a wider variety of styles of zombies. How many of the same cop and fat old women zombies can you have coming at you at the same time?

The game is really short too. You can breeze through it in an evening even on the hardest difficulty.

This is kind of a nerdy confession, but I really enjoy the radio reports, and the one TV report (in the cutscene) in this game. I couldn't wait to find another radio to hear how things were collapsing in the rest of the world.

Favorite level is the theater because it's cool to find a place to bottleneck three or four zombies and toss a molatov on them saving your other ammo for later.

What was the deal with the puking zombies anyway? Haven't seen that in the Romero universe, just 28 Days Later.

DVW5150
23-Aug-2006, 11:22 AM
So they rate the game about as high as they rate the movie, eh?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.. :lol:)

I had some fun with the LOTD game - usually when Dj and I would gang up and slaughter people in the deathmatch games, but even some of the Invasion maps were 'ok' - but overall it was a lousy game. The physics were the most glaring problem, although as a zombie fan and the fact that there aren't many zombie games available aside from LOTD, I put up with it.......for a few weeks. It's since been retired and not played since. I don't think I'll be pulling it back out anytime soon to play it either.

Had this game been built on the Quake or Unreal engine, and more time was taken on the programming, it had the potential to be pretty damn cool - but alas, it fell short.
:elol: Yes I agree , they used the Quake 3 engine for Return to castle wolfenstien for the ps2 version and it was really good. I love Unreal .
LCThey need to get id software to get involved with the vision , the feel of terror ... Doom 3 shows you what can be done as far as game 'horror'.Adrian Carmack , Tim Willits at id would absolutely get it ... customizable control configuration is a great feature , I'm glad I found this site ... (Ick )ooooppps ! I slipped in some tepid blood ... could someone help me ...whose that in the shadows ? ....whos there ? Oh ,sheeeeiittte ......HAAALLLPP!

loktar
23-Aug-2006, 02:01 PM
Have you guys checked out any of the new mods or maps made for the game? TONS of new things. All problems that reviewers complained about have been fixed. Only for the PC version though.

Not trying to be a spammer but there all at undeadgames.com HPOTD and us actually did a link exchange a while back.

axlish
23-Aug-2006, 02:57 PM
I've actually picked it back up and started playing more lately. The Undead games server has quick downloads now so no longer do you have to search around for individual game files. The modded version of this game is a 10/10 people, get on board!