PDA

View Full Version : Using 2 Cameras - will it show?

Pistolero Films
08-Mar-2006, 07:34 PM
For those of you who have already gone thru this. I have two cameras - an Xl1 and a Vx1000. I was planning to use both for fight scenes where it is hard to recreate for different angles.

Is there going to be a huge differenence between the scenes cut?

What cameras did you use? and how did you manage this?

DjfunkmasterG
08-Mar-2006, 09:50 PM
Do not use Cameras that different.

I made that mistake and I have varying degrees of difference in my footage. If you cannot get (2) like camera's use only one. It was a mistake I made and regret everyday when editing.

However, using (2) Camera is an issue your DP should be worrying about, not you. Get someone who knows something about cinematography and explain to them (Walk them throught it) with the actors present, and let them know what you want to accomplish.

I am now using a DVX100 to finish DEADLANDS, and MY DP called everyone he knows with DVX units and borrowed them so all the footage will match and be easier for me to edit. The next sequence we are filming will have 5 cameras.

(1) on the roof of a house
(1) on the ground
(1) on a hi-hat
(1) on homeade 90 degree angle attached to the rear seat of a car
(1) attached to a zombie

We spent 5 hours last Saturday blocking all the shots so no camera picks up the other.

You (The Director) and Your DP should be going over every shot possible. Explaining how each will work and him choosing the best angle to shoot from. Just explain how the scene should play out, and walk through it as you see it. Then let him walk through it so he can show you how it has to be done. 90% of the time it will match or exceed your original vision.

Dawg
08-Mar-2006, 10:26 PM
That's all good and all, but remember, most of us are dirt poor and using five cameras, let alone two, may not be part of the budget.

Dawg

DjfunkmasterG
09-Mar-2006, 12:03 AM
Not in my budget...

It is calling people who have the same camera willing to work for screen cred.

Dude, the only person getting paid onmy whole shoot is the Make-up FX artist. Everything else was gimme's.

I paid for the equipment, the Insurance, and some food. All permits, courtesy of the city or town I film in. Papa JOhns has been hooking us up with free pizza. Every actor and or extra is working for food and screen cred only.

$7,000 budget. Take out equipment, food and Insurance the rest is make-up FX which = about $1700.00

Everyone from the DP to the producers have been bending over backwards to get the **** we need so I don't shell out more cash. They are all dedicated. Hell when i was losing faith in the project they were the one's picking me back up. Surround yourself with great people and you got it made.

Dawg
09-Mar-2006, 12:15 PM
Sounds cool. Question about Insurance though. How much did it cost you, through who, and what does it cover and amount of coverage?

I haven't used Insurance myself, which is probably a mistake. I cover that with those on the set with Liability Disclaimers. (And yes, we all heard the Lloyd Kaufman story about the horse supposedly kicking the woman during a shoot in NYC and she sued even though no one witnessed it.) :)

Dawg

DjfunkmasterG
09-Mar-2006, 12:26 PM
For $1,000,000 of General Liability it cost me $750.00. It just covers General Liability. Basically if you closed a road like I did and knocked down a lite pole or did damage, it would cover you upto $1,000,000.00.

Here is the email contact for my insurance company.

patricia@ productioninsurance.com (Take space out after @ sign)

This is called Short term Production Insurance. Covering any shoot that can be completed within 60 days. I needed it to close the road.

Stunts and even fake guns will not get you insured. So make sure you tell them you're not using that or doing stunts. Otherwise the premium is through the roof.

I still use Liability disclaimers, but I will be honest with you... they don't mean jack. My Lawyer even told me they won't stand up in court (Maryland Law) check your local laws to see if you are covered.

I have to find my Liability forms, I have my Talent releases ready for tomorrow, but not my General Release of Liability. Any chance you have a template?

Cereval
09-Mar-2006, 11:39 PM
For those of you who have already gone thru this. I have two cameras - an Xl1 and a Vx1000. I was planning to use both for fight scenes where it is hard to recreate for different angles.

Is there going to be a huge differenence between the scenes cut?

What cameras did you use? and how did you manage this?

http://www.preciousnightmare.com/ctd/production/2003%2009%20(September%2027-28)/092703_12.jpg

IMHO, double camera setups for low budget tend to be a little self-defeating. I've done it only a few times, most notably on CTD (http://www.circling-the-drain.com). I needed a two-shot setup to catch a far and close-up of a headblast. I used a Canon XL1 and an XL2 (I think) ... since they were both from the same family, results matched.

But ...

Regardless of what cameras you use, if they have the similar enough specs AND you white balance AND you set your F-Stop, syncing them as alternate angles in post shouldn't be a problem.

Pistolero Films
12-Mar-2006, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've been doing some research and I guess I will only be using the xl1 and similar models.

Anyone wanna buy a used vx1000? :)

Cereval
13-Mar-2006, 12:37 PM
Anyone wanna buy a used vx1000? :)

How used and how much? :rockbrow:

Pistolero Films
15-Mar-2006, 05:59 PM
Used, very used. Comes with beechtek xlr adapter and extra mic and two batteries.

I have no clue what it is worth now.

DjfunkmasterG
15-Mar-2006, 07:17 PM
A used VX 2000 goes for $1300.00 so I imagine a 1000 would be around $900.00 or less. If it has over 100 hours I would guess about $775.00 plus the Beechtek adapter and mic.

Here is an auction for one that includes tons of extras including a wide angle lens. it is $1250.00 and the camera is in PRIMO condition

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-DCR-VX1000-VX-1000-Camcorder-Package_W0QQitemZ7599918070QQcategoryZ20333QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem