PDA

View Full Version : "VHS" - my new short film...

MinionZombie
31-Jul-2006, 10:45 AM
http://media.putfile.com/VHS

Check it out bitches, from the literally no budget world of DeadShed Productions comes my new short film I've been knocking together gradually over the past couple of months.

It's about the violent reaction of one videotape against someone who hopped on the DVD bandwagon immediately and dropped VHS like it had done nothing for him, I guess I'm exising my DVD buyer's guilt with this short, dark comedy.

Next up I'm planning on doing another short film, which would be zombie based, but that project is to be just a bit of a lark around for fun.

Enjoy "VHS" and lemme know your thoughts. :cool:

(btw, watch it right to the end for the denouement).

DjfunkmasterG
31-Jul-2006, 11:17 AM
"Were you dropped on your head when you were a baby?" :lol:

That was pretty good dude. I liked it. It was funny, edgy, and enticing. I only have 2 issues.

1. The sound
2. Some of the stuff involving the dark plastic tarp is very hard to see.

Otherwise, great stuff. You should clean up the audio and submit that to some small short film festivals.

deadwrtr
31-Jul-2006, 12:10 PM
I liked it. Nice music and sound (though the VHS voice sounded familiar...) although the spinning bit went on for a bit too long. I also liked the pacing and camera angles. Perhaps the VHS voice could be accompanied by crinkling tape sound effects. As it stands, at first, it seemed the cameraman was talking, though the origins soon became clear.

Nice job though!

Danny
31-Jul-2006, 12:10 PM
cant see it just green, any chance of a youtube version?

MinionZombie
31-Jul-2006, 12:31 PM
Did my best on the sound front really, remember that it's significantly decreased in a 20mb WMV. In the full-on .vob render for (ironic as this is) the DVD master the sound is much better and much clearer. WMV tends to muddy the audio a bit, but trust, it's much better in the full render.

I wanted to make the "within the videotape" section quite dark, I had extra lights in there to highlight Ben much better (having learnt my lesson on "Trapped"), only thing is making it nice and dark in the edit means a lot of the detail to the black polythene set is missing ... but I kinda did it on purpose thinking it looked a tad iffy sometimes. I also have "a thing" for high contrast (not surprising really from a mad-fan of "Fight Club").

Add in some image degradation, again down to WMV which muddies the image a bit, and that explains the darkness I went for during the middle part of the film.

Deadwrtr - perhaps the voice of the VHS sounds familiar cos I was doing that dialogue (if you've seen either "Smack Addict" or "Manhunt Did It" - two films I made about 6 months ago - then that'll be where you recognise my voice from, ooh, or "Coming Home", which I did for BBC Local TV). It also sounds better in the full render (wmv smoothes over detail quite a bit), where it has an echo and a more ethereal quality to it.

Also, again cos of sound degradation the crinkling videotape sound I added in to the "in the videotape" section has been almost all muddied over, WMV doesn't go in for detail it seems, lol.

And - the spinning bit, aye, it was intentional to go overlong on that part (the initial idea was a kind of spoof of that bit in "SAW"), a side note - the audio for that sequence is the sound of a videotape being fast forwarded, digitally manipulated.

Hellsing - what on earth is up with your computer? lol.

Glad you guys are digging it. :cool:

Dj - that's the plan, if something suitable comes along I'll submit it, sadly a lot of competitions in the UK are more geared towards people with money and crews and usually a grant from the London Film Council, the little guys aren't recognised here. :(

You folks can check out a write up of it on my website - www.deadshed.com

DjfunkmasterG
31-Jul-2006, 12:43 PM
Then send it across the pond. The US has tons of Short Film Festivals. :D

MikePizzoff
31-Jul-2006, 07:54 PM
Hey, great job! Pretty original concept and lots of great angles! I now also (finally) know your name.

Adrenochrome
31-Jul-2006, 08:16 PM
LOL - "Dammit, now I'll never track properly." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's my favorite line!!!

Loved it!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Dude, I want to show this on one of my movie nights!!!! (as an opening feature along with some other shorts) How can I obtain a copy?

MinionZombie
31-Jul-2006, 10:12 PM
Well I'm currently poor, lol, so it'll have to be via online somehow.

Perhaps I can split the file up into smaller chunks and larger files and then it'd be a case of downloading the files and then piecing them together in edit software ... perhaps I could upload to ThatVideoSite.com (which allows you to download).

Perhaps Dj has a suggestion on this front?

chukrok
01-Aug-2006, 12:58 AM
Great work. I really enjoyed it. I also dug the "never track" line.