PDA

View Full Version : Romero Talks about Day Remake on TV?

radiokill
01-Aug-2006, 08:27 PM
he needs the money for his next film.he used the cash he got from the dawn remake to make land and ive seen him on t.v hes doing the same thing with the cash he gets from day

somebody at IMDB said that. anyone know what TV spot he was talking about?

Adrenochrome
01-Aug-2006, 08:51 PM
somebody at IMDB said that. anyone know what TV spot he was talking about?
I don't think ole "gorehound007" knows what he/she's talking about.

bassman
01-Aug-2006, 09:03 PM
I think that guy/girl is full of it. If i'm not mistaken....Romero didn't make much(if anything) from the Dawn Remake because he doesn't own the rights.

Either way....that person is an idiot. Let them know that.:D

radiokill
01-Aug-2006, 10:39 PM
Either way....that person is an idiot. Let them know that.:D

:lol: :lol: will do.

AssassinFromHell
03-Aug-2006, 10:39 PM
Romero didn't make ****. Sellout Rubinstein was the one sucking up all the cash.

darth los
09-Jul-2007, 05:35 AM
Romero didn't make ****. Sellout Rubinstein was the one sucking up all the cash.

I don't see rubestein as a sellout at all. He's just a business man trying to make his money. We can make all the excuse in the world for GAR but the bottom line is he's the one who "sold out". I mean how does someone not retain atleast a portion of the rights to their intellectual property?

MontagMOI
09-Jul-2007, 02:34 PM
I don't see rubestein as a sellout at all. He's just a business man trying to make his money. We can make all the excuse in the world for GAR but the bottom line is he's the one who "sold out". I mean how does someone not retain atleast a portion of the rights to their intellectual property?

I agree Rubenstein isn't a sellout because he is doing what he has always done - make money. But I think you will find that many creators don't keep the rights to their creations. Eg: Stan Lee and Steve Ditko with Spider-Man, Bob Kane with Batman, Ridley Scott, Dan O'Bannon and Ron Shussett with Alien. I know this isn't always the case but i just wanted to give some examples of popular properties that aren't owned by their creators.

"If possible Sir, only.. if.. possible"

darth los
09-Jul-2007, 03:41 PM
I agree Rubenstein isn't a sellout because he is doing what he has always done - make money. But I think you will find that many creators don't keep the rights to their creations. Eg: Stan Lee and Steve Ditko with Spider-Man, Bob Kane with Batman, Ridley Scott, Dan O'Bannon and Ron Shussett with Alien. I know this isn't always the case but i just wanted to give some examples of popular properties that aren't owned by their creators.

"If possible Sir, only.. if.. possible"

That's true, but those men still got very rich off their businesses. By all means Gar should be way wealthier than he is today. Even if he only copyrighted NOTLD like he was supposed to he'd be rich beyond his wildest dreams. He'd be in George lucas territory. That's just one example. Dawn is but another illustrating what a horrible businessman gar is. I mean get a lawyer dude. Furthermore, i'm sure the people you listed either worked for someone else when they came up with those ideas or atleast owned them for a while. Gar can't even claim that.

axlish
09-Jul-2007, 06:12 PM

Romero gets a nice check every time the rights to any Laurel film gets licensed, in any way. He simply left the partnership in 1985, he didn't relinquish his shares in the company.

acealive1
09-Jul-2007, 07:30 PM
stan lee got shafted,he never got paid/ got underpaid for all his ideas going to movies.

darth los
09-Jul-2007, 08:56 PM
stan lee got shafted,he never got paid/ got underpaid for all his ideas going to movies.

So what do you call what he did to jack kirby? Now there's a guy who got butt raped.

Philly_SWAT
10-Jul-2007, 01:48 AM

Rubenstein has stated that even though he isnt legally required to, he still gives GAR 50% of anything he makes off of the GAR films.

Plus, if I pay you to make a movie with me retaining all future rights, and you agree to it, I am not "screwing you over", just exercising my legal rights. I think GAR is a guy who just wants to make movies, not hold on to them and continue to suck money off of old ideas, ala Lucas.

darth los
10-Jul-2007, 02:02 AM
Rubenstein has stated that even though he isnt legally required to, he still gives GAR 50% of anything he makes off of the GAR films.

Plus, if I pay you to make a movie with me retaining all future rights, and you agree to it, I am not "screwing you over", just exercising my legal rights. I think GAR is a guy who just wants to make movies, not hold on to them and continue to suck money off of old ideas, ala Lucas.

There's nothing wrong with making money until the end of time off of your intellectual property. GAR chose to give the rights to his away. I thought it was an idiotic move but it was his choice to make. Let's not act like he got duped into buying the brooklyn bridge or something. He is not the victim here. He knew full well what he was giving away. This leads me to believe that there's no way he thought that dawn was going to be as big as it has gotten. He lacked that sort of vision. Philly's right, all he wanted to do was give his vision life and make a movie, but there is a business side to the industry that he should have taken advantage of. It's like a basketball player or artist doing what they love. All the want to do is practice their craft but they always get compensated for it first which is the prudent thing to do.

Philly_SWAT
10-Jul-2007, 03:00 AM
He is not the victim here. He knew full well what he was giving away. This leads me to believe that there's no way he thought that dawn was going to be as big as it has gotten. He lacked that sort of vision. Philly's right, all he wanted to do was give his vision life and make a movie, but there is a business side to the industry that he should have taken advantage of.
You know, I'm not sure that it was really him lacking that monetary vision as much as he just didnt give a damn about it. I applaud someone who does what they love and/or believe in without always thinking about "how much money will this make me". Unfortunately, the way that the world has evolved is that money is king, everything else be damned. Thats why you have companies making decisions that it would be cheaper to pay wrongful death lawsuits than to recall products and fix deadly design flaws. How much money could Mother Teresa have made if she went to work for a big HMO? I dont think that she cared about that at all.

darth los
10-Jul-2007, 03:05 AM
You know, I'm not sure that it was really him lacking that monetary vision as much as he just didnt give a damn about it. I applaud someone who does what they love and/or believe in without always thinking about "how much money will this make me". Unfortunately, the way that the world has evolved is that money is king, everything else be damned. Thats why you have companies making decisions that it would be cheaper to pay wrongful death lawsuits than to recall products and fix deadly design flaws. How much money could Mother Teresa have made if she went to work for a big HMO? I dont think that she cared about that at all.

I see what you mean. GAR was a child of the 60's and money wasn't exactly a priority for people of that era as unfathomable as that might seem to us today. I'm on GAR'S side, believe me, but i just gets to me that he doesn't have what's rightfully his. I think that he was pretty much extorted. He wanted to make that film in the worst way. So bad that he would give up the rights to get it made. Also, I think it's mighty big of rubenstein to give him%50 of the profits even though he doesn't have to. I think based on that he gets a bum rap. He knows what the right thing to do is and don't think that gar doesn't appretiate it.

RustyHicks
11-Jul-2007, 12:13 AM
I'm sure Gar does appreiciate it, Rubstien may have
the rights, but he'll never have the charism when
it comes to zombie films that Gar has.
At least Gar gets something, not like when
he did NOTD, people were leeching off of that
like there was no tomorrow. At least
in 1990 he had a chance to put it right.

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 01:18 AM
I'm sure Gar does appreiciate it, Rubstien may have
the rights, but he'll never have the charism when
it comes to zombie films that Gar has.
At least Gar gets something, not like when
he did NOTD, people were leeching off of that
like there was no tomorrow. At least
in 1990 he had a chance to put it right.

GaR says on one of the extras on the notld 90' dvd that one of the main reasons that he decided to do a remake was so that the people originally involved with the film could actually see some money from it.