PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of the Dead Ultimate Edition

Desdinova
08-Mar-2006, 11:50 PM
Hey, I was just hoping (and praying) that we would get a region 2 release of this
fantastic 4 disc set.

Does anyone know if there's a hope in Hell?

Omega
09-Mar-2006, 12:43 AM
You haven't gotten it yet over there? Wow, that's terrible.

axlish
09-Mar-2006, 02:28 AM
I'd get a region free, ntsc to pal conversion DVD player A.S.A.P.

Why settle when you don't have to :)

Desdinova
10-Mar-2006, 11:05 PM
Very very good point.

I have waited and lived with average DVD's for too long! God bless America! :D

tju1973
11-Mar-2006, 01:41 AM
Hope is the beginning of despair.

I agree, get a region free player and order it from amazon or best buy or something from the States...

it is work the $100 for the player and the addition 40 or so bucks for the disks....

plus, I am not sure-- do you have to pay a VAT from the US, or is that only when we buy from y'all?

My Chelsea kit cost almost $100 to have it made and sent to me here from the Chelsea Megastore....

:(

B.O.C. is my favorite band of all time. Mirrors is my favorite album...Nosferatu,I Love the Night, and In Thee are my favorite songs, and Buck Dharma is the MFN MAN--although he is a little balder and and alittle chubbier now...

aren't we all?:)

MinionZombie
11-Mar-2006, 11:11 AM
See if you can find a "handset hack" for your DVD player online. I found one for my Samsung and promptly converted it to region free. I've got a stack of region one dvds...as per usual, Region Two gets butt-fudged with "vanilla DVD" releases on many films - e.g. Sin City - I waited for the region one monster DVD to come out and got it for Xmas.

I also bought the 2 disc Divimax R1 Day DVD and obviously got the 4 disc Ultimate Dawn R1 DVD as soon as it came out - and it's freakin' awesome. It is indeed the ultimate DVD and it's great to have 3 versions of the film, as well as some cool extras - and you get to see Cereval rocking the devil horns for the camera in the mall - surely that's worth the £20 alone! :D

Burbank
11-Mar-2006, 12:18 PM
I have made my DVD player region free and have a quite a few region 1 DVD's. However, I've not yet got The Ultimate Dawn yet because my DVD player is in my room and hooked up to a bog standard bedroom TV and I'd like to watch Dawn on the big ass TV and sound system we have downstairs and that DVD player can't be de-regionised (trust me I've tried).

I think it's really lame that region 2 dvd's are either poorly releases with little or nil extras or take forever to come out, while region 1 DVD's are normally packed with quality extras.

I don't know what the process of changing a DVD's region is but I'm sure if can't be that hard.

axlish
11-Mar-2006, 02:33 PM
I think it's really lame that region 2 dvd's are either poorly releases with little or nil extras or take forever to come out, while region 1 DVD's are normally packed with quality extras.

I pretty much agree with you here, but in some cases, Region 2 has the better release (Martin is one that comes to mind). This is why I need a pal to ntsc conversion player. In some cases, there is no region 1 release at all (Dellamorte Dellamore, Battle Royale, Spaced!).

I don't know what the process of changing a DVD's region is but I'm sure if can't be that hard.

You can use DVD Decrypter (or just about any other freeware DVD ripping tool) and that will remove the region coding. That is only half the battle though. You need to convert it from NTSC (29.97 frames per second) to PAL (25 frames per second), and that isn't as easy. Basically, any DVD player that can convert NTSC to PAL (or vice versa) will also have a region hack. The reason comapanies do this is so they can make several thousand units of the same machine, and can ship it all over the world. It would be more expensive for the companies to make separate players for R2 PAL and R1 NTSC.

If anyone needs any suggestions on a player, I'd be glad to help.

Before you ask me though, go to www.videohelp.com and look under the tab "DVD Hacks" and search to see if your current player is hackable.

dogma789
11-Mar-2006, 07:04 PM
Post deleted.

MinionZombie
11-Mar-2006, 09:13 PM
PAL runs a little quicker than NTSC.

PJoseph
12-Mar-2006, 11:50 PM
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php

Give that list a try. If it works, then get yourself a Region 1 version! I found a hack for my DVD player and it worked great.

pJ

Eyebiter
14-Aug-2006, 03:55 PM
Has the price gone down at all, or is it still 35 bucks?

AssassinFromHell
14-Aug-2006, 04:16 PM
Has the price gone down at all, or is it still 35 bucks?

I just picked up the UE...finally...the other day, and yeah, its still around 35 dollars. I would have passed it up for another time, but everytime before I did that, it wasn't there when I went back. So I figured, what the hell...:D

Trancelikestate
14-Aug-2006, 05:58 PM
I got lucky and picked it up for 30 at the store i work at but we were trying to sell it for 50! haha, i bought it instead. but the only disc i havnt checked out is the euro version. i just always grab the extended version by default!:p

Danny
14-Aug-2006, 07:29 PM
dont know if it helps on the topic of regions but ive got 2 recordable dvd players and they play all regions without messing with em, but you can also view picks and ..amazingly they play dvds made by nero! *every forum member gasps*:lol:

creepntom
14-Aug-2006, 08:31 PM
um, which edition is this one?

i have a 4 dvd set that has the original theater release, the euro release, the extended release, & the director's cut, or something like that

is this the same thing? anyone got a pic?

MinionZombie
14-Aug-2006, 08:36 PM
That's the "Ultimate Edition" (written on the box), look no further for the best version of Dawn of the Dead you could ever own.

Trancelikestate
14-Aug-2006, 08:37 PM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/kal-el5676/B0002IQNAG.jpgyeah thats the same one. it just has the original dawn picture on the cover, and it's an unfoldable cardboard case. this picture.

LivingDeadBeat
24-Oct-2007, 12:21 AM
I have a Playstation 3 which is region free, but some region free DVDs I have play in black and white on my TV. I think this may be due to the whole Pal/NTSC thing. Is the Ultimate Edition NTSC? I really wanna buy it but not if it won't play in colour on my TV.

Legion2213
24-Oct-2007, 12:54 AM
DotD Ultimate is indeed NTSC.

Do yourself a massive favour and get a DVD player that can cope with NTSC DVD's...the Ultimate edition is a fantastic DVD set, and it will only cost you £13 delivered from Amazons US site (compared to around £25 on ebay or amozon UK).

http://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Dead-Ultimate-Ted-Bank/dp/B0002IQNAG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-2987027-3386866?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1193187066&sr=8-1

You could also treat yourself to the R1 "Day of the Dead" 2 disc Divimax special edition by Anchor Bay as well then.

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Divimax-Special-Terry-Alexander/dp/B00008G8L9/ref=pd_bxgy_d_text_b/105-2987027-3386866

These are the only "Dawn" and "Day" DVD's that you will ever need IMO. :)

Edit: If you get an R1/NTSC DVD player, the savings will rack up if you buy the bulk of your DVD's from the US, I just got the first three Star wars movies (ep 1,2&3) for $36/£18 delivered, they'll cost you around £40 over here.

LivingDeadBeat
24-Oct-2007, 01:04 AM
That sounds pretty good. Thanks mate. What kind of price range am I looking at for a player which will play NTSC as well as PAL?

Legion2213
24-Oct-2007, 01:14 AM
I bought my DVD and TV several years ago, any fairly modern TV and DVD should have this capability (do some research before spending your cash though!!!)

There are a few multi Region capable DVD players from around £35 on the first page of this amazon search I've just done.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_link_44855665_5/203-6563569-5525529?ie=UTF8&node=4085971&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=1N73RCZSQ10EJTXY06WQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=151071591&pf_rd_i=560858

Good luck with your quest!

Edit: These folks should be able to steer you towards the right choice or provide some usefull info... http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php

LivingDeadBeat
24-Oct-2007, 01:34 AM
Thanks man, You've been a great help. I may just wait until i get a new HDTV, which may be around Christmas, as it will no doubt be able to Play NTSC as well. I have a TV which I can play NTSC DVDs on, but it is really small and the picture/sound quality is horrible.

Legion2213
24-Oct-2007, 01:43 AM
No worries, you're welcome!

I could do with a nice HDTV myself...nowt wrong with my current one, but those new fangled HD ones sure are pretty! :D

Doc
26-Oct-2007, 07:10 PM
Question....What does the 4th disc in the Ultimate Edition include? I know the first 3 are the U.S. theatrical version, extended version, and Euro version ,but what's the 4th?:|

MinionZombie
26-Oct-2007, 09:13 PM
Extra features.

"Document Of The Dead": The longer 95 mins documentary filmed during the making of "Dawn Of The Dead" by Filmmaker Roy Frumkes
"The Dead Will Walk": An all-new 75-min documentary featuring interviews with cast and crew members Claudio Argento, Dario Argento, Pat Buba, Tony Buba, Zilla Clinton, David Crawford, David Early, David Emge, Ken Foree, Michael Gornick, John Harrison, Clayton Hill, Sharon Ceccatti-Hill, Jim Krut, Leonard Lies, Scott H. Reiniger, Chris Romero, George A. Romero, Gaylen Ross, Tom Savini and Claudio Simonetti
On-set home movies (with audio commentary by zombie extra Robert Langer)(13 mins)
Monroeville Mall tour with actor Ken Foree (12 mins)

(from DVDcompare.net)

Doc
27-Oct-2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks Mr. MinionZombie sir I'm more of a Day fan but this Ultimate Edition of Dawn is to hard to resist. :)

MinionZombie
27-Oct-2007, 03:25 PM
Dawn of the Dead:UE is an absolute MUST HAVE.

Doc
27-Oct-2007, 04:08 PM
How much did it cost when you got it?

LivingDeadBeat
27-Oct-2007, 04:58 PM
About $20 on Amazon US

MinionZombie
27-Oct-2007, 08:09 PM
I pre-ordered it as soon as I saw it come up online, set me back about £26/27-ish. But due to the weight (being an issue as I was importing it) f*cking Customs & Excise (aka a bunch of thieves and bandits) charged me a f*cking tenner, and because that then goes to Royal Mail with a debt on it essentially, Royal Mail retain it for f*cking two goddamned weeks and then finally get around to giving me a notice, and they whack an extra £3 on top of the aforementioned extra tenner for their trouble...

So I ended up spending about £40 because of that fuss and it was 2 weeks late ... still worth it though.

A cold translation of that into dollars is (with current exchange rates) $82. But everything's more expensive in the UK regardless.

acealive1
27-Oct-2007, 08:51 PM
thats totally horrible,bro. :barf: on royal mail next time

Doc
28-Oct-2007, 05:53 AM
I pre-ordered it as soon as I saw it come up online, set me back about £26/27-ish. But due to the weight (being an issue as I was importing it) f*cking Customs & Excise (aka a bunch of thieves and bandits) charged me a f*cking tenner, and because that then goes to Royal Mail with a debt on it essentially, Royal Mail retain it for f*cking two goddamned weeks and then finally get around to giving me a notice, and they whack an extra £3 on top of the aforementioned extra tenner for their trouble...

So I ended up spending about £40 because of that fuss and it was 2 weeks late ... still worth it though.

A cold translation of that into dollars is (with current exchange rates) $82. But everything's more expensive in the UK regardless. Dude that sucks :eek:

ProfessorChaos
28-Oct-2007, 06:21 AM
my copy of this holds a special place in my heart, as i was given this dvd by a friend for my birthday when we were in iraq. my copy was purchased in baghdad....how cool is that?

plus i got it for free:cool:

Doc
28-Oct-2007, 06:24 AM
my copy of this holds a special place in my heart, as i was given this dvd by a friend for my birthday when we were in iraq. my copy was purchased in baghdad....how cool is that?

plus i got it for free:cool: That's nice:) Your very luck.

MinionZombie
28-Oct-2007, 12:00 PM
Ach, it's happened to me before a few times. One time I was caught up in it at Uni, but the postal depot was miles outside the city - and not having a car, and there not being any goddamn bus links to there - I just left it for the 3 weeks in which you have to claim it and then had it sent back, so ultimately I was down a fiver as Royal Mail had to post it back to the sender. But I wasn't spending an extra 13 to 15 quid in bloody fees. I ended up doing so because I suddenly realised I'd been too loose with the spending, so I had to claw back somehow.

Yeah, Customs & Excise suck in this country.

Legion2213
28-Oct-2007, 08:41 PM

A cold translation of that into dollars is (with current exchange rates) $82. But everything's more expensive in the UK regardless.

Gutted for ya...anything over £18/$36 and those bastards at C&E and the Post office are buzzing around like flies on sh*t...extracting their pound of flesh and large chunks of your cash to boot. :mad:

Edit: when the revolution comes, they will be first against the wall!!!