PDA

View Full Version : Old look of the old forum

Philly_SWAT
09-Mar-2006, 12:34 AM
Is there a way that I can get the forums to display the exact same way they used to, or is that not an option? I like the old way where everything was displayed in a "tree" format, and I could tell at a glance if I had read the new post or not.

Andy
09-Mar-2006, 01:12 AM
Click the "Display Modes" button at the top of the screen and choose "Threaded".

DjfunkmasterG
09-Mar-2006, 01:19 AM
People are to attached to the old forum.

This forum is much better in terms of outline and organization.

Philly_SWAT
09-Mar-2006, 07:37 PM
Unless my memory is WAAAY worse than I think it is, clicking on threaded does not make the forum look the exact way the old forum did. What I mean is when you click on "Dead Discussion" (for example) you see all of the topics threaded on that page. That way you can see each new post under each thread all at the same time, because if you had already read a post, it showed up as a visited link. To me, that seemed to save a lot of time; you could choose what messages you wanted to click.

Neil
09-Mar-2006, 09:46 PM
Is there a way that I can get the forums to display the exact same way they used to, or is that not an option? I like the old way where everything was displayed in a "tree" format, and I could tell at a glance if I had read the new post or not.

In short the answer is no... VBulletin has a sort of "tree view", but it's not a true tree structure as such.

As for seeing if there's a new post in a thread etc, if you're part of the discussion, the email notification will take you straight to the first new post in the thread. So that's very efficient!

glsjaw
10-Mar-2006, 12:05 AM
i have always liked this style of forum because if a thread is happening it keeps getting bumped to the top so others can join in and not lost amongst the pages when new post come in

strayrider
10-Mar-2006, 01:21 AM
New forum looks and works great, IMHO. Great improvements since this site's inception 8 or 9 years ago (it seems like only yesterday).

Anyone else here remember the orginal dark background with the lightning bolt pattern?

LoSTBoY
10-Mar-2006, 08:44 AM
i have always liked this style of forum because if a thread is happening it keeps getting bumped to the top so others can join in and not lost amongst the pages when new post come in

Thats the reason I HATE these Forums!

New threads get lost over popular treads so something I would be intrested in gets overriden by the topic 'post your pic here' or 'word association begin!'

Neil, you have/had a good thing going with your Forum, if you are going to give it up the please give me your code!

DjfunkmasterG
10-Mar-2006, 09:51 AM

This is exactly why I LOVE this new forum. I was so happy when I signed up the new forum looked the way it does. I wish Neil would have done this years ago.

A+++ to Andy and Neil on this.

MinionZombie
10-Mar-2006, 11:09 AM
As for seeing if there's a new post in a thread etc, if you're part of the discussion, the email notification will take you straight to the first new post in the thread. So that's very efficient!

Hence why I've got like 20 to 30 notifications a day from HPOTD :D Not that I'm complaining, I just thought it was kinda humourous.

Neil
10-Mar-2006, 06:40 PM

In most forums that's fine...

In general discussion I'm not so sure. I kind of prefer the last new thread posted stays at the top... What can happen is someone posts a new thread, and meanwhile discussions are happening on 5-10 others and within an hour the new/latest new thread is towards the bottom of the first page...

Yes, "weighted" forums are great most of the time, but like BB and Threaded, each serves it's purpose at times...

dogma789
11-Mar-2006, 12:31 AM
Post deleted.

jdog
11-Mar-2006, 12:52 AM
i like the new system much easeyer to find new posts

Neil
11-Mar-2006, 06:49 AM
Neil, you have/had a good thing going with your Forum, if you are going to give it up the please give me your code!

I think it had a number of very good original features:-
- Being able to set a forum to BB or (proper full) threaded at any time.
- Weighted or non-weighted forums. ie: A reply takes the thread to the top or not.
- Realtime(ish) pop-up PMs. ie: Someone sends you a PM, and it pops up on your screen within a minute or so, even if you're doing nothing.
- Realtime status bar showing number of users on forum and in chatroom.
- Integrated chat room.

The underlying problem with it was the the database. Ideally I would have to re-write it to all be in SQL, which is a BIG undertaking :(

Mike
11-Mar-2006, 08:15 AM
These new forums are starting to grow on me, I can see the benefits over the old forums, but I am just one of those people who has to slowly adjust to change.

MinionZombie
11-Mar-2006, 10:41 AM
Indeed, I have missed a few new posts on these new forums because they've gotten booted down to the bottom of the page. It should stay linear in the order of when they were posted, but if they have new posts within the thread then it should have a bold title - makes sense really. :) :cool:

Neil
11-Mar-2006, 07:18 PM
Indeed, I have missed a few new posts on these new forums because they've gotten booted down to the bottom of the page. It should stay linear in the order of when they were posted, but if they have new posts within the thread then it should have a bold title - makes sense really. :) :cool:

Yes, some forums would make sense to behave like this... Unfortunately although "Loom" offered that behaviour if the forum master desired, VBB does not (every forum is "weighted") :dead:

MinionZombie
11-Mar-2006, 09:17 PM
*wooooooosh!!!* *all that flies over my head* :confused:

Philly_SWAT
12-Mar-2006, 10:19 PM
I think that sometimes in the old forum, someone might post something that was very interesting, and everyone enjoyed reading, but there was just no need to reply to it. With this new forum, a post like that could dissapear in a day because week old, flame war posts would go to the top.