PDA

View Full Version : Hungry Wives ......or....

Adrenochrome
03-Aug-2006, 12:24 AM
as the disc I just received from Blockbuster online says "Season of the Witch" - This may be the only GAR flick I've never seen.......gonna give it a go tonight.:D
Don't know why I'm posting this......got the "email checking, gotta look in on HPOTD" blues, I guess.:D

MaximusIncredulous
03-Aug-2006, 06:33 AM
Don't forget to let us know how it is.

MinionZombie
03-Aug-2006, 10:33 AM
I recorded it off late night Channel 4 from quite a while ago. It's very clearly an early GAR film, far from his best, but it somehow drew me in quite a bit. You get that early GAR flavour (mainly through his editing) that we lost in his later films (when he gave up the cutting job). There's a sequence near the end, a home invasion of sorts, that I thought was utterly fantastic.

Hmmm, it's definately not his best, and it's an alright flick, I guess it's only for GAR fans ... and even then it might only be for some GAR fans...

axlish
03-Aug-2006, 02:39 PM
I love the film. It is a similar set up to Martin, just different pieces of the story. It is as political as any of his work, and only suffers due to budgetary contraints. I really enjoy Ray Laine as an actor. He really embodies the era. That is one thing about Romero's work, he writes like no other. He is not afraid of mixing in the dialect of the day, if you will.

Adrenochrome
03-Aug-2006, 04:11 PM
Loved it.
It definitely captures the early 70's lifestyle.

(On the DVD I watched there is a GREAT interview with Romero on one of the extras.
It's worth renting or buying JUST for that.)

I was drawn into the flick from the opening "dream sequence" - VERY surreal -and it kept my attention til the end.

MZ is right in that it "might only be for some GAR fans..."

axlish
03-Aug-2006, 04:14 PM
MZ is right in that it "might only be for some GAR fans..."

Nah, only the "real" GAR fans :sneaky:

Adrenochrome
03-Aug-2006, 04:35 PM
Nah, only the "real" GAR fans :sneaky:
Ya, you're right. Hell, there are only a few of us that loved Bruiser.

I was wrong, however....there is ONE more GAR flick I haven't seen - There's Always Vanilla...came out the same time as Hungry Wives. - Well, it's on the que list!!!

axlish
03-Aug-2006, 05:25 PM
Ya, you're right. Hell, there are only a few of us that loved Bruiser.

I was wrong, however....there is ONE more GAR flick I haven't seen - There's Always Vanilla...came out the same time as Hungry Wives. - Well, it's on the que list!!!

There's Always Vanilla should be on the opposite side of the Season DVD that you rented :confused:

Adrenochrome
03-Aug-2006, 05:32 PM
There's Always Vanilla should be on the opposite side of the Season DVD that you rented :confused:
oh my!!! Funk Yeah!!!! I had no idea! Thanks man!
It wasn't listed as being on there, or, I failed to read the cheapie envelope thoroughly.:rolleyes:
Much thanks, friend!

woot woot!!!! such a great suprise!

MinionZombie
03-Aug-2006, 05:37 PM
Yeah I liked Bruiser, I've got it on DVD too. It was a good flick, certainly not legendary Romero, but any GAR is good enough for me, especially as it's generally so few and far between - moreso these days.

Adrenochrome
04-Aug-2006, 12:02 PM
Well, watched "There's Always Vanilla" - At least the title makes sense now. :)
It was weird seeing people from Night pop up, especially after only seeing them in Night and not much else! (George Kosana, Russell Streiner, Judith Ridley to name a few)
Not bad; watchable....and definitely different for a GAR flick (director/cinematographer/editor only) which was a treat. I like seeing his projects where he's not (also) the writer and I can appreciate his other skills - especially so early in his career.
His flicks have a certain feel to them no matter what genre.

Tied2thetracks
04-Aug-2006, 04:50 PM
I love Bruiser but Jacks Wife is a move that I cant stay awake for. Not very good. (this from the guy who slept through clerks 2)

bassman
04-Aug-2006, 04:52 PM
(this from the guy who slept through clerks 2)

You did WHAT???????

Night2008
23-Feb-2007, 06:33 PM
It was weird seeing people from Night pop up, especially after only seeing them in Night and not much else! (George Kosana, Russell Streiner, Judith Ridley to name a few).

Yeah, I bought Serial Killer AKA Claustrophobia , only because Judith O'Dea is in the movie for the first 5 minutes only. It was really hard to believe that the older woman from that movie is really her.

Oh, by the way for anyone who collects NOTLD memorbilla. I suggest SOMETHING TO SCREAM ABOUT. It is a documentary about women in b side horror films. Judy O'Dea is on it, not a whole lot cause the film focuses on the other girls more. But, we learn trivia and stuff about Judith and its nice..

Tied2thetracks
23-Feb-2007, 06:37 PM
SOTW is a steaming pile that I have yet been able to finish, I have owned it for 5 years. Its like taking a sleeping pill. Even if htey hadn't run out of money I don't see any hope for this "film"

coma
23-Feb-2007, 06:52 PM
When Halloween 3:season of the witch came out, GARS season was rereleased to ride on the coattails. I went to a theatre and was bored out of my mind. It just sucked. I had to stay becasue I had to wait for a ride but I really wanted to run screaming ....or yawning aggresively.:)

Tied2thetracks
23-Feb-2007, 06:54 PM
wow, we aren't bumped to the media section yet?

Kaos
23-Feb-2007, 07:00 PM
wow, we aren't bumped to the media section yet?

My pleasure.

jdog
23-Feb-2007, 08:39 PM
personally i liked the film, not your average GAR put not to bad. ( hell i think i will go watch it right now since i have nothing better to do)

capncnut
23-Feb-2007, 11:22 PM
I enjoyed Season of the Witch. I particularly loved the deliberate overuse of Donovan in some of the sequences, very unsettling.