PDA

View Full Version : Need some equipment advice...

MinionZombie
09-Aug-2006, 06:54 PM
How do folks,

Okay, so I'm now half of a videography partnership (in this biz you have you do everything for yourself, so this is where I finally start making some cash). So what I need some advice/help on is finding some new equipment.

We're fine as we are at the moment, but obviously we'd be looking to improve in due course, and I'm looking to get myself some new equipment. Now, I'm obviously not flush with cash, but let's say I've got £2000 to spend, and I need the following:

1) miniDV camera (screw it, any make/model :D)
2) tripod
3) microphones

I'm thinking around £1500 for the camera, £100 to £200 for a tripod and £100 to £300 for microphones. Obviously these are ballparks, so the boundaries can flex a little.

Basically, I'm looking for recommendations/info/prices/links/advice etc for these pieces of equipment (I'm in the UK, so UK models would be good - for instance the Canon XM2 is UK, the same in the USA is called the Canon GL2).

Cheers dudes, mucho appreciente.

DjfunkmasterG
09-Aug-2006, 07:08 PM
Check eBay seller Electronicsmaxx They deal in a lot of used Camera's on the cheap and do ship overseas plus they have PAL DVX100's.

2000 pounds is what like $2200 USD?

You could get a used DVX100 for about $1600 an Assia Tripod for $199.99 (which has a nice fluid head on it) and a Senheiser Shotgun Mic for about $150 then you could buy a UV PL and FL Kit for about $30.

MinionZombie
09-Aug-2006, 07:33 PM
Cheers for the info, I'm a bit of an eBay-phobe though :D, although I might have to look at something like that having seen some prices ... and actually, Canon's range of cameras in my price range isn't that great. Seems they deal more to the lower end of the scale, while Sony now bums the £1000+ market, and Panasonic kinda covers both areas I suppose...

*sigh*

I hate researching for new equipment...:eek:

DjfunkmasterG
09-Aug-2006, 10:16 PM
Don't hate it dude... It is fun looking up new equipment.

To bad you aren't interested in an NTSC model of a DVX100. I am selling mine with a shot gun mic (the same mic I was talking about) 5 batteries. and extension cables for the mic inputs for $2,000 + S&H

All you need is a tripod. :D

MinionZombie
09-Aug-2006, 10:30 PM
hehe, ah well, besides ... it's the NTSC thing. Preferably I'd like to go brand new (not that you'd be one of those grubby gits that just messes up their goods of course), but it's also something I don't wanna rush into...

I've been doing some initial, rhudimentary research and have jotted down some models for further investigation/idea leaping stones:

Sony DCR-VX2100E
Canon XM2 (although having had a lot of use of them I'd prefer something completely new to me, and better, to be honest)
Panasonic AG-DVC32E
Panasonic AGDVX100A

I'll probably extend the amount of cash I'd spend on the camera to make sure I get a good one to last me. Last camera I got (Canon MV700i) was more of a stopgap, I needed a camera quicksmart and I didn't have any money really, to spend on it, but I needed one to continue my filming as well as the semesterly Uni Videos. :cool:

So this time around, especially as it's for business, not just pleasure, I wanna get something proper bo.

My parents are being really very cool though and they want to help me out, they've been completely behind me and my venture to get into this business 100% all the way. Not once have they wanted me to go off and get some office job to pay them rent or anything, so they wanna help me really get on my feet with this venture especially (as I can start stepping forward further, and getting some cash into my pocket). Where was I (I'm ranting again), oh yeah, they're looking to give me some cash to help me out on this front, so I figure if I also add in some of my cash and (hopefully!) momentarily go without a slab of money in my account then it'll pay off in the end.

I must admit, once you actually GET the new equipment, it's just the best feeling, it's like getting a new computer and everything is all new smelling and cool and you're learning all the new features ... of course, shaggin' is better, lol, but in a man on technology world, getting new tech in your hands just feels groovy.

DjfunkmasterG
09-Aug-2006, 10:41 PM
Sony DCR-VX2100E
Canon XM2 (although having had a lot of use of them I'd prefer something completely new to me, and better, to be honest)
Panasonic AG-DVC32E
Panasonic AGDVX100A

1st choice - good Camera. Some scenes in Deadlands were filmed with the model before (VX2000)

2nd Choice - Total Crap. The XM2 is the GL2 here in america and there are tons of people complaining of the tape drive motors burning out after 6-9 months of use and this is light use. Stay Away from this camera.

3rd Choice - never heard of it, and don't know it

4th choice - is the newer revision of my camera, and was replaced by the DVX100B The only difference is no time recording and a few other features on the B vs the A. My cam has all the features of the A, but the A has better image control. You can still find new DVX100A NTSC models here int he states for about $3900.00

Seriously though... go used. A DVX100 can go 1000 hours before any serious work needs to be done. Mine has 260 hours on it and I had it cleaned and calibrated at 225. Electronimaxx on eBay inspects all their stuff before they sell and they don't sell garbage. I bought mine from them with 180 hours on the camera. Plus you can buy an extended warranty from them for up to 2 years on their products.