PDA

View Full Version : The Decent

HLS
13-Aug-2006, 07:15 PM
Did anyone see this yet? Well I thought it was cool. My spoiler really is not a spoiler it pretty much says what most on-line reviews mention. The movie had some awesome gruesome scenes!
Well it is about a group of gals that go caving in an unknown cavern and get stuck when the entrance caves in. Inside the caves lives these part human or once human, white creatures that kinda have bat like faces. The women get picked off one by one and disemboweled, torn apart and eaten alive. Cool huh?

Trancelikestate
13-Aug-2006, 07:32 PM
it's not too much like a ripoff of that other cave movie that came out?

MikePizzoff
13-Aug-2006, 07:39 PM
***Descent***

Purge
13-Aug-2006, 08:15 PM
I saw it last weekend. I give it a 5 out of 10.

HLS
13-Aug-2006, 08:51 PM
***Descent***

I figured I missspelled it but the spell check did not bring any thing up.

Yes and no. This was more scarier and more gore. I felt The Cave was better made though. But I know. There is not much to leave to the imagination with a movie about people trapped in a cave.

MinionZombie
13-Aug-2006, 10:11 PM
I don't understand how anyone could rate it either 5/10 or prefer The Cave, lol, The Descent is frickin' excellent. It had me crapping myself with fright. The director acknowledged it had similarities to other movies, but he had no idea they were on the go at all when he wrote The Descent, so it's all good.

It was also a great choice to have a movie with nothing but women (except the bloke at the beginning). It's like the inverse of Dog Soldiers (which had one woman). I preferred Dog Soldiers, but The Descent was an excellent flick and quite sick. Annnnnnd, my 3D Art teacher from high school was a scenery sculptor on the movie, cool huh? :cool:

HLS
14-Aug-2006, 12:46 AM
I don't understand how anyone could rate it either 5/10 or prefer The Cave, lol, The Descent is frickin' excellent. It had me crapping myself with fright. The director acknowledged it had similarities to other movies, but he had no idea they were on the go at all when he wrote The Descent, so it's all good.

It was also a great choice to have a movie with nothing but women (except the bloke at the beginning). It's like the inverse of Dog Soldiers (which had one woman). I preferred Dog Soldiers, but The Descent was an excellent flick and quite sick. Annnnnnd, my 3D Art teacher from high school was a scenery sculptor on the movie, cool huh? :cool:

I figured one of the men here would at least dig the fact that it was all chicks.:kiss: :p
I loved the feeding scene! I wish we could see more of that in the movie.

GRMonLI
14-Aug-2006, 02:36 AM
Spell check would not have picked it up:

"Decent" =
1) Characterized by conformity to recognized standards of propriety or morality.
2) Free from indelicacy; modest.
3) Meeting accepted standards; adequate: a decent salary.
4) Morally upright; respectable.
5) Kind or obliging: very decent of them to lend you money.
6) Informal. Properly or modestly dressed.

and

"Descent" =

1) The act or an instance of descending.
2) A way down.
3) A downward incline or passage; a slope.
4) Hereditary derivation; lineage: a person of African descent.
5) One generation of a specific lineage.
6) The fact or process of coming down or being derived from a source: a paper tracing the descent of the novel from old picaresque tales.
7) Development in form or structure during transmission from an original source.
8) Law. Transference of property by inheritance.
9) A lowering or decline, as in status or level: Her career went into a rapid descent after the charges of misconduct.
10) A sudden visit or attack; an onslaught.

HLS
14-Aug-2006, 03:30 AM
Spell check would not have picked it up:

"Decent" =
1) Characterized by conformity to recognized standards of propriety or morality.
2) Free from indelicacy; modest.
3) Meeting accepted standards; adequate: a decent salary.
4) Morally upright; respectable.
5) Kind or obliging: very decent of them to lend you money.
6) Informal. Properly or modestly dressed.

and

"Descent" =

1) The act or an instance of descending.
2) A way down.
3) A downward incline or passage; a slope.
4) Hereditary derivation; lineage: a person of African descent.
5) One generation of a specific lineage.
6) The fact or process of coming down or being derived from a source: a paper tracing the descent of the novel from old picaresque tales.
7) Development in form or structure during transmission from an original source.
8) Law. Transference of property by inheritance.
9) A lowering or decline, as in status or level: Her career went into a rapid descent after the charges of misconduct.
10) A sudden visit or attack; an onslaught.

Well geee wiz.

lol

I was typing and eating tacos at the same time. Everyone here constantly makes typos. It is no big deal. I wanted to go back and edit it after the fact but the edit feature does not all you to edit the post title. Which sucks.

Danny
14-Aug-2006, 10:25 AM
well personally i found it boring ,kinda like alien in a cave, one by one they get picked off by something in the dark.

veyr 'meh'

if you liked dog soldiers though i suggest a kcikass film called "deathwatch" set in WWI a group of soldiers get lost in what they think is gas but its fog after chargeing the german lines and they find a german trench with only a single german alive the rest are all dead, the german says they dug too deep and found something and next thing you know **** goes abd.

its showing on the sci-fi channel now so check it out the dvds only £3.99 and its owrth it, one of my favourites right now.

MinionZombie
14-Aug-2006, 10:52 AM
Oh gawd, you actually like that heap of turd?! Deathwatch was such a pile of wank, lol, it was as bad as The Bunker ("German soldiers" with British accents). Billy-bleedin'-Elliot running around the trenches in search of spooky noises, a good idea that totally didn't live up to it, ha! Guess there's balance to the universe afterall ... I'll stick with The Descent's corner. :cool:

Danny
14-Aug-2006, 10:54 AM
ha! Guess there's balance to the universe afterall ... I'll stick with The Descent's corner. :cool:

heh, yeah man balance...man....

next up "marmite do you love it or hate it?":lol:

Rottedfreak
14-Aug-2006, 12:53 PM
So does the title refer to the script? movies quality or the characters actions?

Who didn't see the ending coming a mile off?

Philly_SWAT
14-Aug-2006, 01:00 PM
I heard that the Descent was pretty decent.

bassman
14-Aug-2006, 02:51 PM
well personally i found it boring ,kinda like alien in a cave, one by one they get picked off by something in the dark.

Wait, wait, wait. Are you saying that you don't like "Alien", or just comparing the similarities between the two?

As far as "The Descent" goes.....I haven't seen it(probably never will - unless it's on TV) but from the advertisements and such.....it seems just like another teen horror flick like "Hostel" or "Saw II"...:confused:

HLS
14-Aug-2006, 03:23 PM
I heard that the Descent was pretty decent.

LMAO!

But truthfully is there any originality left in horror movies anymore?

MinionZombie
14-Aug-2006, 03:28 PM
Bassman, dude, The Descent is not another "teen horror flick" like those movies, it's much more grown up and wasn't made to cash in on a fad or sell itself above it's own belt *cough* Hostel ... goriest, most violent movie ever MY PAPER WHITE ARSE! *cough* and Saw 2 was just cashing in on the first one in a really cheap, Hollywood way.

The Descent is definately not at all like that, seriously dude, check it out. Just ignore what people are saying here, I thought the movie was great fun (and not at all teeny boppish), heck, I have the double disc DVD in my collection. It scared the bejesus outta me.

Just go and see it, don't expect anything (which should be a standard movie-going act anyway, preconceptions ruin any movie no matter what it is) and trust me, it's a good flick. :cool:

Adrenochrome
14-Aug-2006, 07:18 PM
As far as "The Descent" goes.....I haven't seen it(probably never will - unless it's on TV) but from the advertisements and such.....it seems just like another teen horror flick like "Hostel" or "Saw II"...:confused:
It's just another "jumper" for the simple minded movie goer.

Danny
14-Aug-2006, 07:59 PM
Wait, wait, wait. Are you saying that you don't like "Alien", or just comparing the similarities between the two?

just compareing.

oh adn hells yeah hostel was ****e and saw II was just as white trash mtv style horror as its predictable by the minute predecessor.

in fact in film studies the profesoor showed us that film and said "here the example of a bad movie".

MinionZombie
14-Aug-2006, 08:07 PM
Yes, Saw 2 sucked willy wonka, but Saw was a cool flick - helped by the fact it came from leftfield and surprised a lot of people. Saw 2 was ghey because the money men insisted on a sequel wrapped up from start to finished inside a year to cash in.

Hostel was 50 minutes or dull plot and then about 30 minutes of below par violence, and that eye thing was just stupid. Sure, a Daily Mail reader would vomit at the sight of the movie, but a hardcore gore fiend should have been honking up too, but we weren't, so it failed big style.

Bassman - for the love of gawd, ignore everyone here (except me, natch :D), and go see the movie! :|

Trancelikestate
14-Aug-2006, 08:10 PM
Hostel was 50 minutes or dull plot and then about 30 minutes of below par violence, and that eye thing was just stupid.

You mean the eggyokes coming out of the eye?:lol: :lol: :lol:

MinionZombie
14-Aug-2006, 08:27 PM
The whole eye "thing" was just daft, it didn't look right, and the fact he has to cut off her eye at the stalk/nerve bit is just overdone and not worked into the flow of the movie at all well ... and the puss flying out seemed a bit daft too, surely it would have been a torrent of blood? It just looked so very fake, didn't look realistic to me ... not that I've seen many people with eyes hanging out, but it just didn't look right somehow...

Danny
14-Aug-2006, 08:34 PM
Yes, Saw 2 sucked willy wonka,

i just had a disturbing image in my head involving a puppet and a man in a top hat *shudders*

Chakobsa
14-Aug-2006, 10:36 PM
I watched hostel last week and I have to say that it smoked the pole bigtime.
It's a stupid, mean spirited hamfisted pile of poo and Eli Roth is obviously not as clever as he would like us all to belive.
As is often the case in no brainer movies like this, aimed as it obviously is at an undemanding teen audience, I didn't like any of the characters, I was glad when the annoying twats got what was coming and it's this failiure to generate any empathy with the characters that's often the Achilles heel of movies like this.

HLS
14-Aug-2006, 11:12 PM
I watched hostel last week and I have to say that it smoked the pole bigtime.
It's a stupid, mean spirited hamfisted pile of poo and Eli Roth is obviously not as clever as he would like us all to belive.
As is often the case in no brainer movies like this, aimed as it obviously is at an undemanding teen audience, I didn't like any of the characters, I was glad when the annoying twats got what was coming and it's this failiure to generate any empathy with the characters that's often the Achilles heel of movies like this.

One thing about The descent I did not like is this they apparently traveled miles threw the caves to escape and I find it quite odd how the other entrance just happens to be right by their cars, where they parked at the beginning of the movie thus making the survivor getaway all too flawless. I mean what are the chances?

MinionZombie
15-Aug-2006, 10:48 AM
Ah, but, she didn't actually get away - it was a dream - so wherever the exit was, it is still technically plausible as they would have lost all sense of their position to the above-ground layout, she didn't actually escape, at least, not by the end of the movie...perhaps in the story (rather than the plot) she escaped, but who knows...

BUTCHYPIE
15-Aug-2006, 03:55 PM
I really enjoyed this film. These are some of the best-written female protagonists, I can remember in a horror film.

If you think about it, the creatures are very zombie like: they creep, they eat, they keep on coming.

I highly recommend that all the folks stateside check-out the slightly different edit on the U.K. release. Although there is still some ambiguity in the ending, but for me, this ending solidified the ending down to two possible realities.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

http://www.filmdailies.com/images/The_Descent.jpg

Having seen the U.K. and U.S. endings, I think Sarah DID escape the cave, but is now trapped in a psychotic break. If you notice, there are bones, when she passes out right before the escape sequence, and then runs towards the light. When she "re-awakens" the second time, there are no bones. She and the torch are in the same position. She wakes up the second time, sees her daughter with the birthday cake and is crying, when we go to credits. The audio over this scene is the creatures coming towards her, followed by a short scream, which sounds like Sarah, as we go into the credits. I believe she was hallucinating this entire scene with her daughter, after imagining Juno in the passenger seat. The scream we hear is the creatures finishing with Juno and attacking her inside her hallucination -- a symbol of her insanity.

Now, I see an entirely second possibility, but I'm not sure I can defend it well: I think Sarah may have killed all of her friends. She's the only one who hears the creatures in the beginning. She has the panic attack, when she gets stuck, and then starts seeing these things, that no one else sees at first. Suddenly, they're getting killed, and other people supposedly see them as well. (She also hears the childish laughter, which is probably an auditory hallucination, although it could be the child creature we see near the mother creature). If Sarah was the murderer, it would better explain the Carrie-like blood splatter all over her. I don't buy the "blood pool" as the bones were all stripped clean and blood doesn't stay liquid and bright red like that. You don't see any fresh carrion after the moose on the topside... I know she kicked some creature butt, but she went into the pool after most of the fighting....

Anyway, just thought I'd note my impressions. Not a terrifying movie, but psychologically interesting and tortorous for the claustorphobic, apparently. I recommend it! Low budget, no A-List stars -- this is what I want from the movie industry. Smarter scripts with more clever execution!

http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/na/archive/00206/the_descent_365_206733m.jpg

-

MikePizzoff
22-Aug-2006, 02:20 AM
I just saw it and....

Ehhhhhhhh......

I can't describe how I feel about it.

I guess I feel unsatisfied and kind of disappointed. Perhaps I have to think about it for a couple days.

There was just so much stuff that I thought was "corny".

dmbfanintn
12-Jan-2007, 07:30 PM
SPOILERS FOLLOW!!!!!!

I rented the Descent last night and really enjoyed the flick, good old fashioned horror. I did not think it was bubble gum MTV at all.

Here are the two things I wanted to posts:

One, how many references to classic horror films did you guys catch? I saw 4:

1. The scene where she was covered in blood was straight outta Carrie!
2. The scene where the creature was all up in her face, straight outta Alien!
3. The feeding scene, to me anyway, looked to be an homage to Romero’s feeding zombie scenes.
4. The hand popping outta the ground at the end when she found the exit, straight outta the Evil Dead!

One of the above posters said something about Sarah being the killer and there were no monsters. I tend to agree with that, I was going to post it but you beat me to it.

Here is some more supporting evidence. Other than the very first appearance on the creature (When Holly broke her leg) and all of the girls were present, there wasn’t another time in the movie that had Sarah and a creature in the presence of the other girls at the same time. Anytime she was with the girls there were no creatures, when a creature was present, there was no Sarah.

Also, toward the end, when the three girls were trying to get out and Sarah was behind them, she stands up and lets out a scream, but when we cut back to the other three, the scream THEY hear is that of a creature.

I do not feel as though this theory was intentional on the writers part, but is a plausible theory.

In addition, remember before they went to the cave, she took her head drugs and then the camera dwelled on the pill bottle for a moment, obviously to make the fact that she is on head drugs, stick in our minds.

She kept hallucinating her daughter, even with audible hallucinations of child laughter. Why didn’t she tell her friends about the bloody claw prints when they first went down?

It is a far fetched theory, I know, but entirely possible. Perhaps the entire movie takes place in her imagination, AFTER she has killed them all, while she is in her state, right at the end. After she climbs out of the cave and drives away, suddenly she is back in the cave, with no way out, and (as pointed out earlier) there is no longer a pile of bones to climb.

Maybe that was her way of rationalizing what had happened. I think the entire movie took place in her mind, while she was sitting there, and it closed with the idea that she did not make it out in reality, but she did in her mind.

Cray-Zay man!

MikePizzoff
12-Jan-2007, 08:01 PM
Excellent points. Good analysis.

Tricky
12-Jan-2007, 08:08 PM
MZ is spot on again,the descent is a much better film,plus it was out in the cinema before the cave anyway,who ripped off who?;)
The descent is claustrophobic,creepy and pretty horrific in places,i enjoyed it!the girls in it were gorgeous as well :D

Chaos
12-Jan-2007, 08:19 PM
I loved the ending. She's completely insane and still stuck in the cave, conversing with her dead daughter. That movie ended on a real downer. It kind of reminded me of the ending of the JC's The Thing.

Graebel
12-Jan-2007, 09:01 PM
Wow, maybe it was the five Hispanic guys who talked through the entire showing of the Descent...but I hadn't caught any of the 'imagined it' aspects.

Now I'll have to watch it again.:confused:

HLS - If you haven't seen Feast, its definitely worth a rental. Although it spends a lot of time satirizing other horror movies, I laughed harder than I had at most comedies. That and there's a few 'jump' moments that you know are coming....but you'll jump anyway. :D

MinionZombie
12-Jan-2007, 10:38 PM
I seriously doubt she killed her friends.

She's seeing her daughter out of grief, and her friends aren't responsible for killing her husband and daughter - it was an accident. The only one who is ever-so-slightly-possibly-a-smidgen-bit-linked-to the incident is the Asian one, who was having an affair with her husband.

capncnut
12-Jan-2007, 11:49 PM

veyr 'meh'

Couldn't agree with you more, bored the s**t out of me personally. :bored:

lol, it was as bad as The Bunker ("German soldiers" with British accents).

Aw c'mon, a tad harsh methinks. The only thing about the film I didn't agree with was the ending. Other than that, I thought it was strangely interesting and reasonably well acted.

HLS
13-Jan-2007, 12:57 AM
The whole eye "thing" was just daft, it didn't look right, and the fact he has to cut off her eye at the stalk/nerve bit is just overdone and not worked into the flow of the movie at all well ... and the puss flying out seemed a bit daft too, surely it would have been a torrent of blood? It just looked so very fake, didn't look realistic to me ... not that I've seen many people with eyes hanging out, but it just didn't look right somehow...

WOW an old thread resurfaced.

Ya come to think of it the puss thing was unreal, a wound has to be festering for quite some time for that much puss to develop. I feel that if they took out most of the sex it would have been a better movie. Also the the ending was retarded. They should have made it that noone survived.

Khardis
13-Jan-2007, 05:54 AM
it was good except for the "girl power!!!" crap that made me wretch.

MinionZombie
13-Jan-2007, 11:16 AM
Just to clarify, "The Bunker" related comment wasn't dissing The Descent cos I really like Marshall's films.

I've no idea what the "it was as bad as" comment was regarding now as it was quite a while ago and I can't be arsed to search through the whole thread to find it, ha!

slickwilly13
02-Feb-2007, 04:56 AM
Just watched it. Not gory enough for me. And was disappointed in the feeding scene. It didn't show enough. I was hoping for some nudity as well. It wasn't a bad movie.

MinionZombie
02-Feb-2007, 11:30 AM
Why on earth would a group of just women going spelunking down a greasy and cold underground network suddenly get their kit off?! :eek:

capncnut
02-Feb-2007, 11:32 AM
So nobody could see them, that's why. :rolleyes:

slickwilly13
02-Feb-2007, 05:16 PM
I couldn't understand why in the hell they would crawl through a very narrow crevice in an unexplored cavern. And look where it got them. F#cked.

MinionZombie
02-Feb-2007, 05:55 PM
1) They didn't know it was unexplored because the oriental-looking chick kept schtum until after they'd all descended into what they thought was an already explored cavern - it's all explained in one scene and the gals all gang up on the trickster bitch.

2) Spelunking is all about crawling through narrow crevices - that's the point in spelunking! :eek:

slickwilly13
02-Feb-2007, 06:45 PM
Yeah, you're right. But still. I wouldn't crawl through a crack. Might get stuck.

Kaos
02-Feb-2007, 11:29 PM

This movie predates that one. The Cave was released in August of 2005. The Descent premiered at the Belgium International Film Festival of Fantasy Films in March of 2005 and released in the UK in July of 2005. If anything, The Cave is a ripoff of the Descent. The truth is they were developed independently at about the same time. Kind of like the feud between the Blair Witch Project and The Last Broadcast.

MinionZombie
03-Feb-2007, 12:59 PM
This movie predates that one. The Cave was released in August of 2005. The Descent premiered at the Belgium International Film Festival of Fantasy Films in March of 2005 and released in the UK in July of 2005. If anything, The Cave is a ripoff of the Descent. The truth is they were developed independently at about the same time. Kind of like the feud between the Blair Witch Project and The Last Broadcast.
Spot on Kaos, as well as the fact that Neil Marshall had no idea The Cave was in development, he only found out when he was wrapping The Descent up.