PDA

View Full Version : Attention UK filmmakers...

MinionZombie
13-Aug-2006, 08:18 PM
Not sure if this will help anyone out, but there's a store in my region of the country who do a friggin' shedload of equipment for filmmakers covering all ranges from the n00b to the professional sat in a studio. A whole host of equipment, I've been sat there gawping at it for about 40 minutes now. Think I might go down there tomorrow and check them out...they even have the new Panasonic DVX100BE for £2000. :cool:

Thought I'd post the URL in case it was of any help to UK filmmakers:

H Preston (Malvern) (http://www.hpreston.co.uk)

*edit* Actually, they also seem to deliver around the world, and have an office in London. Bingo, bongo, BOSH! :cool:

KingStoph
13-Aug-2006, 10:28 PM
Nice! ill tell Liam bout that :lol: im too poor to buy one!

EvilBread
13-Aug-2006, 11:32 PM
Creative Video are also rather good for UK equipment.

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/public/

Danny
14-Aug-2006, 09:17 PM
damn that canon XM32 ..if thats it... sure looks perdy.:D

EvilBread
14-Aug-2006, 11:00 PM
XM32 or XM2?

My friend picked one up a few weeks back and it looks really nice. Very sturdy and easy to handle.

MinionZombie
15-Aug-2006, 10:45 AM
Aye I've had a lot of use of the Canon XM2 this year, it's pretty easy and nice to handle, but it's not the most robust of cameras - the drive for example is not exactly strong, also, the zoom function tends to go after some use (I used one which had a zoom with a life of its own).

You'll get a good picture out of the XM2, but I'll be honest, it's getting a bit dated these days (and £1750 for it is rather steep in my opinion, it's been around for a while too). It's not a bad camera, but it's not the most reliable so to anyone with one, be gentle with it.

I did enjoy using the XM2 though, it was quite user friendly and was my first introduction to "prosumer" level cameras. Get a *forgets name* boxy thingymajigs you attach to the bottom and you've got a good bit of kit for time being.

If getting a new camera, it'd be better to go higher up the chain, hence why I'm currently pretty sure I'm going to get the Panasonic DVX100B as my new rig.

EvilBread
15-Aug-2006, 10:49 AM
I was looking more towards the Sony Z1 which I used for Once a Thief or the Sony PD170 which are both really great cameras.

Although since money is an issue, I wouldn't mind picking up one of the Panasonic DVC30's which is a great little camera and very good in low light conditions.