PDA

View Full Version : What do you shoot and edit with?

EvilBread
16-Aug-2006, 07:39 PM
Curious to know what each one of you guys shoot and edit on. Personally, I don't really a specific camera, but I have been shooting recently on the following cameras:

Sony Z1
Sony PD170
Panasonic DVC30

In terms of editing, I have been editing on Adobe Premier Pro 1.5 for the past two years. Sadly my University doesn't start editing on Final Cut until next year and I never really got much Avid experience under my belt.

Zombie
16-Aug-2006, 10:46 PM
I dig the sony Z1, solid camera. I bought the fx1 version for dirt cheap off a friend and its never let me down. As far as editing goes avid is the only way to fly. Adobe PP gets it done fine but I like the control avid gives you.

DjfunkmasterG
17-Aug-2006, 10:06 PM
For me:

I have used the..

Canon GL1
Sony VX2000
Panasonic DVX100

I edit on Sony Vegas 6.0d

MinionZombie
18-Aug-2006, 11:24 AM
I'm about to upgrade to a Panasonic DVX100B (at least that's the plan anyway!), and currently I edit on Pinnacle (I know, it's pretty sucky, but it does what I need it too) ... although with people bigging up Sony Vegas, I might try it out again...recently installed Adobe Premier Pro 7, but it refuses to capture...

chukrok
29-Aug-2006, 03:21 AM
I use my gear from work. Canon XL-2 and a pc loaded with Premiere, AE, Photoshop and Illustrator.

DjfunkmasterG
29-Aug-2006, 03:33 AM
Vegas is simply one of the BEST NLE's around and has zero issues unlike Adobe's NLE

Danny
29-Aug-2006, 04:34 AM
I use my gear from work. Canon XL-2 and a pc loaded with Premiere, AE, Photoshop and Illustrator.

man ive never been able to get to grips with photoshop i normally end up suing flash instead csu its a much simpler way of doing it... or much lazier:D

and damn i gotta get me one of those xl-2's there schweeeeet!:)

MinionZombie
29-Aug-2006, 10:03 AM
Hopefully I'm going to get my hands on a copy of Sony Vegas soon, I hear it's easy to get to grips with? Is it a stable bit of kit?

7feet
29-Aug-2006, 11:02 AM
Vegas used to be from Sonic Foundry before they got bought out, and I've been using the program line (soundforge, acid, vegas - vegas not as long as it's a little newer) pretty intensively for about 9 years now, and I don't think I've had a crash in any yet. Almost unheard of, 'specially on a windows system, but yah, it's solid. Also does most of the stuff I want it to. Don't like it's deinterlacing (I do that if needed with AVISynth in Virtualdub), and I generally use something with more whatever for compositing, but I like the way it works.

EvilBread
29-Aug-2006, 01:07 PM
I can also add the Canon XM2 to be list of cameras now that my latest job has one. :D

Can't wait to get my hands on it.

DjfunkmasterG
29-Aug-2006, 01:40 PM
Evil, you ain't missing much. They are the UK version of the Canon Gl2 here in the US and are garbage. Well garbage is a tsrong word, but they aren't great. Wait till you work with a DVX100b or an XL2

EvilBread
29-Aug-2006, 03:28 PM
I doubt there are as good as other cameras I have worked with, for example the PD170 and Z1, but they look like sturdy little cameras and considering I don't have to pay anything to use both of them I think I will be ok. :D

Will give me time to save up for a DVX100b :D

MinionZombie
29-Aug-2006, 09:37 PM
Yeah the Canon XM2 are fine if you've already had one for a while and you're not doing anything professional with them, but turn up at a Corporate Video shoot with one of those and you'd probably get a bit of a raised eyebrow ... or maybe not, cos quite frankly the average punter knows fudge all about cameras - but damn straight if you turn up with one of those dinky hand-sized jobbies you'll appear the utter amateur.

Which reminds me, I'll be ringing up to chase up the stock status of the DVX100B at my nearest professional video kit retailer tomorrow, their stock has been delayed for a couple of weeks now and I'm dying to get my hands on one to make my final decision and stump up the £2500 for the camera and accessories.

EvilBread
29-Aug-2006, 10:17 PM
I don't know. Although the size of the camera might look a little un proffesional it's the overall outcome that's most important. I did a corporate gig with a DVC30 and a PD170 a while back and the difference was hard to see yet the prices were almost a £1500 apart. The GM2 is on par I feel with the DVC 30.

Just been hired to make 10 short films for a museum over 18 months. They have themselves the XM2 so will see how well that goes first before I choose to spend money and upgrade to something like the DVX100b or the new Canon HD.

Great to hear your input though :D

DjfunkmasterG
29-Aug-2006, 10:21 PM
You are right in Comparison...

The XM2 and DVC30 have 1/4"Chips and the DVX100b has 1/3" chips. The XM2's little brother or previous version was a good little cam
the GL1 aka XM1 to the UK folks. However, when Canon modify the GL1/XM1 something wne t wrong at the production facility the cameras have had a lot of problems

MinionZombie
29-Aug-2006, 10:21 PM
Good job on getting the museum gig. :thumbsup:

Damn I can't wait to get my hands on a DVX100B, it'll make a significant leap for me from my current Canon MV700i, hehe, I bought it back when I suddenly needed a new camera and didn't have any cash. It's done me well though, but now it's time to move on, it's not really the sort of camera I need for a videography business, which I'm now a part of, still ... it's suitable as an emergency back up/background wide shot provider.

EvilBread
29-Aug-2006, 10:30 PM
Excellent. It does look like a really good camera and certainly seems the choice with the independent filmmaker. Shall ask for a test when I get the funds together, although I did really like shooting with the Z1, the peaking option was really helpful.

I have been really lucky with the cameras I have used. I got an old Digital 8 Sony around 2003 and helped me shoot my first short film, but it didn't really compare when I got to Uni as I was able to work with a whole host of DV cameras throughout which saved me a heap of money. Hopefully the XM2 will tied my by until I can make a proper choice. The DVX doesn't look like a camera I would be dissapointed with though.

chukrok
29-Aug-2006, 10:48 PM
man ive never been able to get to grips with photoshop i normally end up suing flash instead csu its a much simpler way of doing it... or much lazier:D

and damn i gotta get me one of those xl-2's there schweeeeet!:)

Using Flash for bitmap editing seems harder to me. I guess whatever you're used to and works for you. I could see using Flash instead of After Effects for some motion graphics work though. I have Flash, just haven't taught myself to use it yet.

placebo
04-Sep-2006, 03:23 AM
Greetingz, frenz.

New member here, came across this site a long time ago and it was mainly a few people bickering at each other about film remakes (I see this hasn't totally vanished altogether) and some strange fellas going on about the military role of such an event.

I've been planning my projects for a while now, and have recently secured funding.
I am an editor by nature, but found out that I was also a "wannabe director in the closet" a few years back.

I see you fellas like your PC appz a whole lot.
Heard only one mention of Apples solutionz.

I'd just like to weigh in on that.

I've been working with Apple hardware and software for a few years now.
And from experience, it's more the way a production pipeline should actually be.
With PC appz, they're more of an after thought, or a pre-viz solution unless you're talking about an actual turnkey system from Avid or Autodesk, or a 3DBoxx for effex.
Apples software is much more capable.
I'm a Final Cut fundie!
I've used Avid software, which is decent, but only when run on an Avid system, not on normal PC hardware.

Now is an interesting time with Apple solutionz, with Intel hardware, universal binaries and so on.
I'm more of an Apple purist, and prefer the PowerPC hardware (but that will likely change, old habits die hard though).

My specs for my personal projects includes a G5 dual, cinema displays, the whole nine there.
My pipeline consists of FCExpress, some After Effects, mainly Shake for compositing, Cinema 4DXL (because Maya is extremely expensive to procure, not to mention the cost of artists that are skilled with it). Even yours truly has become somewhat proficient with Cinema4D thanks to this venture.

I've recently come to terms with the fact that if you want a project to come to fruition, successfully, and in the same idea as it was concieved, you have to be familiar with all aspects of production.

I had to lay my ass on the line to procure the right tools, and this still remains to be seen.
The crew is another matter entirely...

"Apple innovates! Microsoft imitates!"
Just look at Vista, OSX anyone???