PDA

View Full Version : Saints Row video review (360)

CoinReturn
23-Aug-2006, 04:47 PM
Edit: Looks like they took the video down, probably accidently posted too early, seeing as the game doesn't come out for a few more days.

Another GTA clone finally gets it right? Can't wait for the online multiplayer, we should start up a HPOTD gang :D

Bunker65
23-Aug-2006, 05:51 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=12554&type=mov

Another GTA clone finally gets it right? Can't wait for the online multiplayer, we should start up a HPOTD gang :D

I played the demo that was available for download from the Xbox Live Marketplace & really enjoyed it. So much so that I put a pre-order down on the game :D.

I'm down for a HPOTD gang :). The Undead Hooligan's or something of the sort :elol:.

general tbag
23-Aug-2006, 08:39 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

how many playerss does the multi support.

Danny
23-Aug-2006, 11:27 PM
to put it eloquently.

this looks like the ****!:elol:

Bunker65
24-Aug-2006, 12:35 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

how many playerss does the multi support.

From TeamXbox:

"Overall, the twelve person multiplayer area of Saints Row is unique enough to garner attention, which means filled servers well after the game’s scheduled August 29th release date."

Some of the multiplayer modes (again from TeamXbox):

"When we first learned about the multiplayer game modes, there was a bit of confusion on our faces, as none of them sounded familiar. As the event went on, it was readily apparent that the majority of the multiplayer action in Saints Row is similar to what you have played in the past, albeit hacked and twisted to better fit the gang-style context of this exciting title. For instance Gangster (drop the “er” and add an “a” for effect if you will) Brawl- a menacing sounding mode- is actually your basic Deathmatch (hmm, that sounds menacing too).

You’ll start out with a basic gat (gun for the Country Club members) and the ability to use your brass-covered fists, but many weapons can be collected about each map. You can hold A LOT of weapons in Saints Row’s multiplayer, so it’s better to find as many weapons as you can and stockpile them. The handy rotary weapon select always puts the right tool at your tips, which includes shotty’s, SMG’s, pipe bombs, an A to the mother-bleepin’ K, and even a sniper rifle. Aiming manual for this third-person action title, and is quite challenging due to the speed at which everything runs. We would probably dig deeper into the option to adjust sensitivities and control settings before our next go-around.

The other game modes of Saints Row’s multiplayer proved to be a bit more exciting and innovative than Gangster Brawl. Our favorite was Big Ass Chains, which also happens to be the only mode of Saints Row approved by Mr. T. The twist to this item fetching mode- besides the fact that your collecting 14k links (off of corpses no less) instead of flags- is that more points will be earned for hoarding resources. Yes, you can drop of a chain at a time at the virtual pawn shop, but bring in a trailer load of truck jewelry, and you will earn mad points. Boosting chains and hoarding them is a risk/reward event in that any savvy player will know you’re loaded down with the goods (you’ll glow like Goldfinger when you’ve amassed crazy links).

The other two modes we were privy to at THQ’s multiplayer event were Blinged out Ride and Protect tha’ Pimp. Blinged Ride is very unique, as not many third-person multiplayer arenas contain cars. Here, the cars are the focal point, as you’ll be asked to modify them in typical Lowrider fashion. Similar to the prestige function in Need for Speed Underground. and similar, Blinged out Ride will require customization that can move the crowd. But as we all know, mods cost money, so be prepped to kill some fools for their money. You’ll also have to protect the rides from rivals in this team-based event, and have the wherewithal to follow the map to the shops and show-offs without wrecking the whip.

Protect tha’ Pimp was surely cool in theory (kind of like a flamboyant President), but we had a few troubles finding a crew that could take down our combination of henchmen and pissed off woman hustler. The pimp’s “golden gun” is a backhand that even Ike Turner would be jealous of; one that puts an enemy down with one slap. It seems that the rival crews had no chance of taking down the man with the purple hat, but we expect this to be balanced out a bit more in the final."

Some other info on the game:

* The way you like it – Never seen before non-linear game play in a completely open environment, delivering an experience unlike any other inside a fully realized living city, where anything can happen and undoubtedly will.

* Be who you want to be – Create your character from 1000’s of options and outfit him with the latest threads as you rise up in the ranks. Knuckle up or pop a glock to shape your street cred and build an increasingly feared gang.

* Clunker to a Classic - Use money to collect, customize and trick-out your cars gaining ‘much respect’ in the process.

* Smokin’ tunes – Whether in a stolen ride or one bought through racketeering, chill to any of 12 radio stations to hear dope tracks and pick up tips that could help you on your rise to the top.

* Multiplayer mayhem – Recruit gang members or take out rival gangs online in several different modes of play. Use the money gaffled to maintain your growing need for cars, women and gear.

Also:

How will the customized Xbox live feature enhance game play?

- Saints Row multiplayer has a lot of cool features, but one of the coolest is the ability to customize your character and have it show up online. The more you play online, the more multiplayer cash you earn, which lets you buy clothing/jewelry/tattoos to customize your character. You will really be able to make yourself stand out, and if you play in a gang you can create a distinctive style that identifies your group.

MikePizzoff
24-Aug-2006, 12:42 PM
I can't wait for this.

Now I'm curious. They say its 12 person multiplayer. Does that mean each player will also get a "crew" of AI to follow them around? Which will make it seem like way more than 12 people are playing. I really hope so.

Bubdotd
25-Aug-2006, 01:43 AM
Sounds ausome when i get my 360 il consider buying this.

general tbag
25-Aug-2006, 03:54 AM
Protect tha’ Pimp was surely cool in theory (kind of like a flamboyant President), but we had a few troubles finding a crew that could take down our combination of henchmen and pissed off woman hustler. The pimp’s “golden gun” is a backhand that even Ike Turner would be jealous of; one that puts an enemy down with one slap. It seems that the rival crews had no chance of taking down the man with the purple hat, but we expect this to be balanced out a bit more in the final.

:lol:if there is a hpotd clan , we should make neil or andy the pimp :lol:

bassman
14-Feb-2007, 04:05 PM
I just picked the game up a few days ago, so I'm still in the process of getting on with it. But I just wanted to see what some of you folks thought of the game after having played it? I searched for another thread on the subject but this one(dated back to August) was the only one I could find.

Was it worth my money(it seems to be) or does it get bad after a while of playing?

capncnut
14-Feb-2007, 04:48 PM
My cousin Vicki (yes a girl, yes a major gamer) played Saint's Row through to the end and she told me that overall it was pretty darned good. She said that it was a fun take on the GTA series and is definitely a keeper until no. 4 arrives this October. I had a little go myself and I have to say, the cities looked quite impressive.

bassman
14-Feb-2007, 05:35 PM
Great. Thanks man. That's what I was hoping for....a good "gang" game to hold me over until the new GTA. Speaking of, I hope the new GTA looks as good(if not BETTER) than Saints Row.

I love the graphics in Saints Row, but they have a sort of "cartoon" look to them. I know it's a video game and all, but San Andreas found a good mixture of the darker, realistic tints to make it look more realistic rather than a video game.

That's a minor, minor, minor complaint though. It seems like it's going to be a fun game.

capncnut
14-Feb-2007, 06:30 PM
I hope the new GTA looks as good(if not BETTER) than Saints Row.

Jeez, I wish they'd just give us a trailer or tell us the general idea of GTA4. :(

CoinReturn
14-Feb-2007, 06:59 PM
I beat it a few months ago, I still think its the best "GTA" style game yet. Fun missions and great physics keep the game from becoming stale.

MikePizzoff
14-Feb-2007, 10:03 PM
I just borrowed this from a friend a few days ago. Haven't really done much yet but it's been a blast so far. My only major complaint is the music on the radio; the majority of it is complete CRAP!

The insurance fraud missions are a lot of fun.

MikePizzoff
19-Feb-2007, 03:47 AM
UGH the drug trafficking missions are pissing me off. I can't get past level 8 with the hippie guy. It's near impossible for me! I get 3/5 of the deals done and get wasted every time. Sometimes we don't even make 1 deal before a gangmember shoots us with a rocket launcher. Any tips?