PDA

View Full Version : Night of the Living Dead remake: Tom Savini

DeadJake
25-Aug-2006, 12:05 PM
so what did you guys think i really liked it i dont understand why tom didnt like it i thought it was really good and i like how he added some stuff like the ending

Dommm
25-Aug-2006, 12:10 PM
I loved it (still prefer the original) but I think it was truest representation of GAR's work with the most relevent updates to the story line.

bassman
25-Aug-2006, 12:23 PM
I enjoy it. To me, it's definitely the best remake yet.

I think the reason Savini isn't too happy with it is because the studio and producers f'd with it during production. IT didn't come out quite the way he had originally intended. I also think he wasn't too happy with the MPAA.

EvilNed
25-Aug-2006, 12:50 PM
I don't think it's that great. The pacing is pretty off, the editing and atmosphere isn't all that great. Infact, I find the film to be pretty boring. I'm sure that if Tom Savini had it his way, it would have been a bit better. But it might still have been boring.

Oh, and the music? That's one hell of a mood killer.

axlish
25-Aug-2006, 01:16 PM
Aside from bad acting, weak score, and crap dialogue, its great!

The film was made so the original Image Ten partners could get some cash out of the name NOTLD, and it shows on screen.

livingdeadboy
25-Aug-2006, 03:08 PM
I hate to say it, for fear of being attacked here...but I liked it a tad bit more then the original. I prefered the newer ending to the original ending...however this is just my opinion, and I still do enjoy the original.

axlish
25-Aug-2006, 03:22 PM
I hate to say it, for fear of being attacked here...but I liked it a tad bit more then the original. I prefered the newer ending to the original ending...however this is just my opinion, and I still do enjoy the original.

No worries Livingdeadboy. Although I disagree with your opinion, I'd like to think we are moving towards a more mature environment where opinions are tolerated and more importantly, appreciated.

Adrenochrome
25-Aug-2006, 03:35 PM
I own it and love it - BUT, there are two things I dislike about it.

1. I hate there is a ghoul that has escaped from a coffin in the opening cemetary sequence.

2. The ending.

other than that, I enjoy it.

DeadCentral
25-Aug-2006, 07:04 PM
NOTLD 1990 is the ONLY remake I have listed over on D-C.COM...
... reason being, Savini directed it, with George hot on his heels the entire shoot.

So... though it was changed a bit by Savini in a positive, more modern view of women,contrary to the originals view of helpless, scared and hysterical female leads, for me, it still has Georges stamp on it.

I enjoyed the changes and along with the whole Harry Cooper situation ...there is justice...lol :rockbrow:

I tend to favor the remake for it's modernization and the way it flows into the other 3 films. Of course you can't take anything from the original, it's a masterpiece in it's own right.
I enjoy Patricia Tallmans performance in the cemetary... I just really love her panic scene in the car, trying to find the keys ....And Tony Todds intensity is only rivaled by Duane Jones' original performance...

For me , and I'm not trying to convince anyone, I prefer the remake but remember ..the original is ..what it is ... the original classic.

zombiekllr
25-Aug-2006, 07:40 PM
I loved the original, But I loved '90 The way it played off of notld 68
for example when the girl in 90 was killing her mom, it showed the trowel on the wall an obvious reference to 68 I liked how Tom Put clever stuff in for Die hard notld fans _z.k

ngm231
25-Aug-2006, 08:01 PM
best remake ever made

axlish
25-Aug-2006, 09:15 PM
with George hot on his heels the entire shoot.

George was in Sanibel, writing The Dark Half script. With Tom being left alone, all the old school Image Ten partners, whom he considered friends, screwed him over and sabotaged the shoot. Why? Because they were jealous that Tom was chosen to direct and they weren't given the chance.

DeadCentral
25-Aug-2006, 09:45 PM
Actually Axlish ..read my interviews with the cast members of the film, Tony Todd told me that George was there pretty much daily, as did the other cast members I've spoken to... maybe he worked on The Dark Half the same year...but he WAS there to oversee the filming of NOTLD 1990..:D

Svengoolie
25-Aug-2006, 09:59 PM
Even though it was pretty much a turd on alot of levels, I still enjoy NOTLD 90 very much, and take it down off the shelf almost as often as I do the original.

The trick, I think, is to ingore the politics, motivations, bull**** and excuses behind the flick....and to just enjoy it for what it is.

Ditto for Day.

Giger
25-Aug-2006, 10:04 PM
I liked the remake, but I'm still a big fan of the original. I think that George showed a great use of lighting in the original and I love watching those shadowy scenes. I still find the corpse on the stairs a very creepy image. There are also elements of race that play in the original for the fact that they aren't there. The void in the original makes a big impact.

In the remake, that racial element doesn't exist. Still, I'm a big Tony Todd fan. I'd watch that guy just sit in a chair. I think he and Jeffery Combs (not sure of spelling) are the Boris Karloff and Bella Lugousi of our day. The changes to Barbara made the remake a fresh experience and I felt the ending made a good Dawn tie in.

axlish
25-Aug-2006, 11:17 PM
Actually Axlish ..read my interviews with the cast members of the film, Tony Todd told me that George was there pretty much daily, as did the other cast members I've spoken to... maybe he worked on The Dark Half the same year...but he WAS there to oversee the filming of NOTLD 1990..:D

I invite you to listen to the Tom Savini interview at www.deadpit.com where he descibes George's absence and the eventual screwjob he recieved. George was there in the beginning, but left to go write the script, which was also discussed in the interview on deadpit. I trust what Tom said, especially considering he trashed his own flick. Here is the link to download the show, recorded at the end of May 06.
http://www.horrortalkradio.com/shows/52706final.mp3

creepntom
26-Aug-2006, 12:51 AM
i enjoy the remake

i enjoy the original for the ground it broke, but i prefer this one cause of the effects

DeadCentral
26-Aug-2006, 02:13 AM
You got me there Axlish... 2 points ...:D , but he was there...as you said ...at first... he also got ripped by the mpaa on the rating too... that's why you don't see any "flowing" blood... it the early 90's that was considered "taboo" so you miss the scene with McGruders brains being splattered....

axlish
26-Aug-2006, 02:16 PM
It's odd, but Savini would have preferred that Romero stuck around and was breathing down his neck.

The MPAA indeed trimmed some cool parts, but something confuses me about Savini's comments regarding the trims. One moment, it seems as if the film suffers because of jelousy on the set, and then another moment, it seems as if he is saying it suffers because of the 5-10 seconds that were removed. I really don't think that the inclusion of a couple of head shots would have saved the film. Personally, I just think it was a big cluster-F of a production, all around.

Svengoolie
26-Aug-2006, 02:57 PM
I've noticed that it's a recurring theme in the drama that is the world of GAR that there are a million and one excuses and a million and one people to blame as to why a film failed in a particular way.

I'm curious as to what the Streiner/Russo Mob's take on NOTLD 90 would be. Did they maybe blame Savini's lack of directorial experience for the film's failure?

axlish
26-Aug-2006, 03:30 PM
Here is one of the saddest box office comparisons I have ever seen...

Evil Dead 2 - $5,923,044 in 310 theatres
Night 90 - $5,835,247 in 1,544 theatres

Imagine if Evil Dead 2 had been in more theatres. Raimi had a bigger issue with distribution than Romero.

DeadCentral
26-Aug-2006, 08:14 PM
Well a little bit of trivia for ya ... the release of NOTLD 1990 coincided with what "happening" in US history???
Beuller..Beuller??
The Gulf War... the film was opening the EXACT same week-end that the Gulf War started...same night as a matter of fact , which in a sense was a short & simple part of it's dismal theater rep... so many americans were caught up in the war at that time ..who was about to run out to see cinema death when they could see the real thing on Tv at home...

Svengoolie
26-Aug-2006, 10:52 PM
Well, speaking from personal experience--NOTLD 90 didn't hit the Chicago area until October. I remember because I was in HS, and did a paper on it for English Class--comparing the original to the remake.

I went to see this flick twice.

The first time was the Friday night it opened...and I'm here to tell ya that it was a packed house.

I went again the very next afternoon...and I was literally the only person in that theater.

I was going to go the very next day for a third time, but decided to wait until the next weekend. But, I wish I had gone on that Sunday, because by the very next weedend NOTLD 90 was long gone from that theater and the area in general.:confused:

axlish
26-Aug-2006, 11:26 PM
I saw it opening night, with a date and about 5-6 other folks. Thats right, only 6-7 people, total. One of the guys in the "crowd" claimed to be "good friends" with the lady who played Judy Rose. I didn't like it, although some parts were cool.

DeadCentral
27-Aug-2006, 11:05 AM
I was amongst the partying crew at that time, 24 years old, drunk as a skunk on a regular basis and not much interested in the movies...
I finally caught it on VHS later that year with a few peeps having a nice little sit down...
I liked it immensely...

DVW5150
27-Aug-2006, 12:44 PM
I liked the remake, but I'm still a big fan of the original. I think that George showed a great use of lighting in the original and I love watching those shadowy scenes. I still find the corpse on the stairs a very creepy image. There are also elements of race that play in the original for the fact that they aren't there. The void in the original makes a big impact.

In the remake,"" that racial element doesn't exist"". Still, I'm a big Tony Todd fan. I'd watch that guy just sit in a chair. I think he and Jeffery Combs (not sure of spelling) are the Boris Karloff and Bella Lugousi of our day. The changes to Barbara made the remake a fresh experience and I felt the ending made a good Dawn tie in.
Mr Cooper says to Tony Todd " You dont exactly look like nieghbors yourself!" Thats alittle sorta kinda ..racial .:shifty:

Well a little bit of trivia for ya ... the release of NOTLD 1990 coincided with what "happening" in US history???
Beuller..Beuller??
The Gulf War... the film was opening the EXACT same week-end that the Gulf War started...same night as a matter of fact , which in a sense was a short & simple part of it's dismal theater rep... so many americans were caught up in the war at that time ..who was about to run out to see cinema death when they could see the real thing on Tv at home...
Gulf war in '90 ...All we saw on tv were enhanced bluurry photos of targets getting hit ... I think people were more distracted by the possibility that saddam supposdly had WMD's or was building nukes...sound familiar? " Mission Accomplished!!!" Sorry to be topical ...

DeadCentral
27-Aug-2006, 02:36 PM
Gulf war in '90 ...All we saw on tv were enhanced bluurry photos of targets getting hit ... I think people were more distracted by the possibility that saddam supposdly had WMD's or was building nukes...sound familiar? " Mission Accomplished!!!" Sorry to be topical ...

Nailed it right on the head DVW....

dmbfanintn
28-Aug-2006, 02:50 PM
No worries Livingdeadboy. Although I disagree with your opinion, I'd like to think we are moving towards a more mature environment where opinions are tolerated and more importantly, appreciated.

:eek: :eek: You can't be serious!!! Mature???? HA!:eek: :eek:
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

dejio
11-Oct-2006, 10:21 AM
I liked NOTLD '90 better than the '68 version.
The changes they did with Barbara's character, and with the movies ending, is definitely better than in the original movie.

Mister Chrome
13-Oct-2006, 05:44 PM
Even though Night 90 is a remake of Night 68, I think it is best viewed as a stand alone piece. To refer back to the title of this reply, I don't think it is wise to compare the two, nor do I think it is fair.

I enjoyed Night 90 very much. I think it has many admirable qualities, both for technical and entertainment value. On the technical side, I liked the cinematography, particularly the compositions of shots that took place outside the house. I also like the lighting. It conveys a very dull feeling for the farm, which I think actually helps the mood of the movie overall. The make-up was great; I think Savini's vision for how the zombies should look was bold and daring. The fact that he didn't "overdo it" with the gore was a good choice, in my opinion. The glazed dead eyes of the zombies were a plus as well.

The acting was fine - not great, not inferior. For the script and the scenario, I think the cast did a fine and believable job. Kudos to Patricia and Tony in the lead parts, but I also think the supporting cast (especially the actor who played Mr. Cooper) were true to the spirit of the script and story.

P.S. - I like the fact that Barbara ends up shooting Cooper in the end. Just desserts, if you will allow me to use the phrase.

My 2 cents,

M.C.

bassman
13-Oct-2006, 06:26 PM
The fact that he didn't "overdo it" with the gore was a good choice, in my opinion.

Actually, if i'm not mistaken, the MPAA screwed with him and alot had to be cut. He discusses it a bit on the documentary on the DVD. Along with some of the deleted head shots and gore.

So....essentially, Savini wanted a nasty film but was forced to cut down. He also says that he likes it with the cuts because it leaves it to the viewer to fill in the gore, ut I think he's just saying that because he was forced to cut his film back:p .....

capncnut
14-Oct-2006, 02:44 AM
I hate to say it, for fear of being attacked here...but I liked it a tad bit more then the original.

As much as I'd like to cry BLASPHEMY at this quote, I can't disagree. I have a cousin who saw this movie and loved it. Naturally, I'm screaming at him to watch the original because (let's face it) the original takes a big fat dump on the remake full stop. Do you know what my cousin said to me after he finally saw it? "Crap!"

On the positive side, this actually proves the remake is a darn good film after all and that it can work on somebody who never saw the 1968 version in the first place.

jim102016
21-Oct-2006, 01:56 AM
Seen both, 68' is much better in my opinion. The female lead didn't work for me. I just can't see changing that aspect around to purposely be more politically correct or 'more with the times'.

With the upcoming release of the Day remake in 07', I suspect many of us will come to the conclusion that originals often take huge dumps on remakes.
But, I will still watch them!

Brubaker
29-Oct-2006, 09:10 PM
I thought Barbara was much better looking in the remake :D While this sounds trivial, I think the remake fits in better with the other three films, due to the fact it is in color (disregarding the colorized versions of the 1968 film). However, I enjoy black-and-white horror/monster movies, so I will say I like them both about the same.

capncnut
29-Oct-2006, 11:19 PM
I thought Barbara was much better looking in the remake :D While this sounds trivial, I think the remake fits in better with the other three films, due to the fact it is in color (disregarding the colorized versions of the 1968 film). However, I enjoy black-and-white horror/monster movies, so I will say I like them both about the same.

Patricia Tallman is a hottie but when she screams she looks like a Jack O' Lantern!

_liam_
05-Nov-2006, 04:34 AM
it has it's faults, but i love it.

the score is, on the whole, awful, but i like the weird recurring, swelling/bubbling noise motif (i dont know how to describe it really) that's right at the start.

the zombies are actually horrific in this film, they look disgusting without just being over the top (thought the green ones in day were a bit halloweeny), the one ben runs over then kills with a tyre iron is pretty disturbing.

plus the power powder when he hits that one ghoul in the face is cool. kung fu.

oh and that shot when the severed hand falls through the bannister, c'mon, that was great!

i think barbras post ripley macho thing is a bit naff nowadays. tony todd was cool, as always.

one really eerie bit is when they look up and see the ghouls banging around the petrol station. brr.

liked the ending too.

i didn't know people disliked it so much tbh, this is interesting...

rawrOTD
05-Nov-2006, 01:26 PM
i liked this movie, i saw it after the original and before the other 3
so i wasnt expecting something mind bogglingly new
I actually imagined the remake would be the same movie but with color and some better zombie effects

before seeing dawn i thought it would be just like night
but in a mall
instead i got a completely new and better movie

i imagined day to be like the story of the army vs. zombies, which is a really really epic thought
tanks vs. zombies would be sweeettt
anyhoo that didnt quite pan out but i liked day anyway

land just disappointed me, i was expecting some crazy zombie epic

so i guess this remake really did surprise me in how well done it is
rock on savini!

coma
05-Nov-2006, 04:23 PM
I like the remake alot, but Harry saying "you yo yos!" was totally TV movie and incredibly stupid. And Barbara in the reamke, when I first saw it, I thought was obvious. It's just another kind of Cliche. The main problem with the remake is lack of grit. It has a made for TV look that I just hate. Thats not to say it didn't rock, it did.

_liam_
05-Nov-2006, 05:25 PM
lol oh yeah "buncha yo yos!", jesus man, go easy on them!

Chakobsa
11-Nov-2006, 01:56 PM
I really liked Night 90', mostly for the way the zombies looked, I think they were
just about spot on with that.
Tony Todd is superb in this, perfect casting.
Patricia Tallman? Mmmmm:sneaky:

lol oh yeah "buncha yo yos!", jesus man, go easy on them!
Liam, you're a yo yo! :D

Adolf Kitler
11-Nov-2006, 11:02 PM
I see the remake for what it was, a way for the original creators to get back some of the cash they should have gotten the first time around. Yeah, nothing about it was terribly original (hey, it WAS a remake) but as far as remakes go, it turned out as well as any remake could have. And Tony Todd was great as Ben. Tom Towles as Harry...eck.

Todd Tjersland
18-Jan-2007, 07:24 AM
The original NOTLD gave me zombie nightmares for three months straight from a single viewing! The remake I went to see three times in the theater, hoping I'd like it better each time, but didn't. A few years later, I came home from working a graveyard shift to find NOTLD '90 had just started on HBO. I sat down and fell in love with it. Given the choice, I will watch NOTLD '90 over the original nine times out of ten. Blasphemous, maybe, because I don't consider it to be superior to the original, but simply easier to just sit down and get into because it has been modernized and is in color. :p YMMV.

As a piece of trivia, Paul McCullough (Bill Hinzman's cousin) composed the soundtrack not only to the Savini remake, but to my zombie film, Legion of the Night (released in a reedited, retitled version as Dead City in the UK).

Bill Hinzman also starred in my film as Dr. Bloom, the mad scientist who creates Cybernetic Zombie Assassins for the Mafia. :rolleyes: Bill was a joy to work with. I picked up in a limo at the Detroit airport back in '94 and let me tell you, there is nothing more surreal than cruising around the bombed-out ghettos of Old Detroit drinking champagne in the back of a limo with your childhood boogeyman! I kept looking at him out of the corner of my eye and expecting him to bite a chunk out of my arm! :D LOL

Griff
18-Jan-2007, 01:28 PM
As a piece of trivia, Paul McCullough (Bill Hinzman's cousin) composed the soundtrack...to the Savini remake.

And in record time. The post production on that film was slashed to just a few weeks. I like what McCullough was able to do within the imposed limitations, indeed some pieces are incredibly evocative, but I still wish NOTLD90 had been afforded a 'real' score.

I had no idea he was Hinzman's cousin.

Cartma7546
23-Jan-2007, 12:55 AM
It was what I think a remake should be like. Stay with the same spices that made the original kick ass but add a dash of originality. War of the worlds is a good example. In a way stayed with the same story line but mixed it up a bit. And as for a dead example, the dawn remake stayed with the basic formula but changed it up, but not to much where we wonder why the two movies have the same name.

darth los
23-Jul-2007, 03:15 AM
Even though Night 90 is a remake of Night 68, I think it is best viewed as a stand alone piece. To refer back to the title of this reply, I don't think it is wise to compare the two, nor do I think it is fair.

I enjoyed Night 90 very much. I think it has many admirable qualities, both for technical and entertainment value. On the technical side, I liked the cinematography, particularly the compositions of shots that took place outside the house. I also like the lighting. It conveys a very dull feeling for the farm, which I think actually helps the mood of the movie overall. The make-up was great; I think Savini's vision for how the zombies should look was bold and daring. The fact that he didn't "overdo it" with the gore was a good choice, in my opinion. The glazed dead eyes of the zombies were a plus as well.

The acting was fine - not great, not inferior. For the script and the scenario, I think the cast did a fine and believable job. Kudos to Patricia and Tony in the lead parts, but I also think the supporting cast (especially the actor who played Mr. Cooper) were true to the spirit of the script and story.

P.S. - I like the fact that Barbara ends up shooting Cooper in the end. Just desserts, if you will allow me to use the phrase.

My 2 cents,

M.C.

I think that's it's very hard not to compare any film in the zombie genre to GAR'S masterpieces. However, it's virtually impossible not to compare the remake of a film that created the genre, and maybe just as important, shares the same title.

RustyHicks
23-Jul-2007, 09:06 PM
Also it's a remake that is an actual remake with the same characters
story line, setting,
not some blasted Dawn04 Day07 remake, that just rips off the titles
of classics and then calls them a remake

darth los
23-Jul-2007, 09:10 PM
Also it's a remake that is an actual remake with the same characters
story line, setting,
not some blasted Dawn04 Day07 remake, that just rips off the titles
of classics and then calls them a remake

That's a very good observation. I don't think a movie should be labeled a remake who's only link to the original film is basically the title. It's like false advertising. There should be something substantive that you can point to that even without the same title that you know it's a remake.

LuxorCaw
24-Jul-2007, 03:43 AM
I agree, maybe its just the modernization of my mind, but I also enjoy this version more than the original. It's funny, cause I consider the original a classic, but I wouldn't consider NOTLD'90 a classic, but I enjoy it more.

They both have their moments, but in my book '90 is the better overall movie.

darth los
24-Jul-2007, 04:36 AM
I agree, maybe its just the modernization of my mind, but I also enjoy this version more than the original. It's funny, cause I consider the original a classic, but I wouldn't consider NOTLD'90 a classic, but I enjoy it more.

They both have their moments, but in my book '90 is the better overall movie.

Well to be fair the remake did almost everything the original did but better. Better acting, better special effects, etc. But on the flipside of it you're right. It cannot be considered a classic like the original is. The original holds that status because of it's place in movie history. Even dawn, which is the pinacle of the dead series imo, can't claim that.

DVW5150
27-Jul-2007, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=jim102016;43179]Seen both, 68' is much better in my opinion. The female lead didn't work for me. I just can't see changing that aspect around to purposely be more politically correct or 'more with the times'.

It has nothing to do with politcal correctness, it has to do with character strength.There is no politcal correctness in any of GARSs films.
The whimpy terrorfied Barbara was a sign of the way her charater was. It has nothing to do with gender.
If you want to know some kick arse women , they happen to be over seas rightnow, in a firefight right along side my brothers.

MissJacksonCA
20-Aug-2007, 02:29 AM
I thought it was damn spanky. A wonderful flick. The music was eerie the actors I thought really embodied their parts and did a wonderful job and despite not having a whole lotta gore the movie was still awesome. It didn't really have any lulls and IMHO was better than the orig...

darth los
21-Aug-2007, 02:50 AM
One thing i agree on is that the movie never drags. It's over before you know it. The pacing is very good.

Mike70
10-Apr-2008, 10:29 PM
i think the night remake is a great little movie. i have always liked it quite a bit. my only real issue with it is the air raid screams that come from judy rose.

i saw it opening night (like a few other people here) in a relatively packed theater, so i have always been surprised by its anemic box office take.

oh and eric - i am listening to that savini interview on deadpit as i am writing this. fascinating stuff. i am glad i decided to browse this thread.

ZombieGrrL
11-Apr-2008, 08:48 AM
I thought Night '90 was great.

Legion2213
11-Apr-2008, 02:48 PM
I watch the 1990 remake more than the original 68 version....it's a great movie IMO.

Barbara is a far better character in the remake, and Tony Todd as Ben is absolutely ****ing awesome.

Choas
12-Apr-2008, 02:43 AM
I loved it.Best remake ever.

ProfessorChaos
12-Apr-2008, 03:55 AM
i remember when this hit theaters. i only saw one commercial for it, and was bummed i couldn't get to see it. talked my mom into renting it for me and it became one of those movies i rented about every other month. almost as good as the original, probably one of the handful of remakes that are worth a ****.

Moon Knight
13-Apr-2008, 03:12 AM
Tony Todd and Tom Towles were freakin' great!

Mutineer
13-Apr-2008, 10:22 PM
The THING is the best remake ever made !

=

I love Savini's NIGHT. I like it much better than the original.

clanglee
14-Apr-2008, 08:50 PM
The THING is the best remake ever made !

Ahhh, beat me to it.

Anyways, yes, Night'90 is one of my favorite Zombie movies.

Mike70
14-Apr-2008, 08:55 PM
Ahhh, beat me to it.

Anyways, yes, Night'90 is one of my favorite Zombie movies.

what is funny about our loving this movie and calling it the best remake ever is that tom savini absolutely hates it. he understands that it is popular among zombie fans but he still detests it because of the, uh, "problems" that he encountered both during production and in post production.

Cartma7546
15-Apr-2008, 03:13 AM
Being that i was just a white mark in my fathers jocky shorts when the original movie came out I can't really say that I was there to absorb the originality that the first night brought the screen. However I still like the original dawn compared to the new one(although the newer one is a great film in my opinion) so that may not play much in this equation, but I like you guys still like the savini night much better than the GAR night. Maybe its the color, maybe its the fact that Tony Todd played Ben to perfection, or even the fact that he jams a crowbar into a zombies skull. Or it could be that it lacks the annoying barb and gives us a more realistic character. I saw the remake first skimming showtime one night and it was the one zombie movie that brought me to gerne. Dawn just compleated the process. Once I had seen the original I was disappointed in that the whole time I was waiting for barb to snap out of her coma. And the way Ben died seemed kinda gay in my opinion compared to the way he goes out in the 90 version. Then agian this is one mans opinion

clanglee
15-Apr-2008, 03:22 AM
what is funny about our loving this movie and calling it the best remake ever is that tom savini absolutely hates it. he understands that it is popular among zombie fans but he still detests it because of the, uh, "problems" that he encountered both during production and in post production.

No No, I was agreeing that "The Thing" is the best remake ever. But I do really enjoy Night'90. Sucks for Savini that the movie brings back bad memories, but he did a great job nevertheless.

slickwilly13
25-Apr-2008, 10:10 PM
Did anyone on here ever go to Savini's website and view the comic strip version of Night '90? I call it comic strip because of the way it was drawn and layed out. Like the daily comic strip in a newspaper. But it was the true version of Savini's Night. Just drawn out.

Griff
27-Apr-2008, 09:00 AM
Did anyone on here ever go to Savini's website and view the comic strip version of Night '90? I call it comic strip because of the way it was drawn and layed out. Like the daily comic strip in a newspaper. But it was the true version of Savini's Night. Just drawn out.

The storyboards? Yeah, unfortunately the webmaster never got around to posting them all. There's a few samples that can be found in Grande Illusions Book II, though.

jim102016
27-Apr-2008, 02:08 PM
No No, I was agreeing that "The Thing" is the best remake ever. But I do really enjoy Night'90. Sucks for Savini that the movie brings back bad memories, but he did a great job nevertheless.

Carpenter's Thing is a different animal, I wouldn't even consider it a remake. Just a more accurate movie based on Who Goes There. The two have their similarities, but are so different. I saw the early 80s version not long after it came out, but the original is just too 1950s I guess. Hell, there's even a woman in it and they're talking about getting married in the end!

slickwilly13
27-Apr-2008, 04:32 PM
The storyboards? Yeah, unfortunately the webmaster never got around to posting them all. There's a few samples that can be found in Grande Illusions Book II, though.

Yeah, it sucks the artist never finished the project. It seemed every week a new storyboard was added. For those who never saw them this is what it was about. It was Tom's true version of NOTLD without MPAA or Hollywood screwing with him. Since he was never allowed to make his own movie, a storyboard was created. Nothing was taken out. But it was like readying a comic strip in the newspaper. Everything was left in the storyboards. Gore, removed scenes, everything. Unfortunately, it was never completed. I wished the guy would hurry up and finish it. Its only been over ten years. :rant:

otisbenny
05-Jan-2009, 11:56 PM
I like this version very much. The lack of gore doesn't bother me but the Zombie feast is a bit too tame- no entrails! Also the Harry Cooper character is too over-the-top. He goes way beyond the original Cooper and just comes off as a complete asshole. In the original, at least Harry was trying to protect his family. Here, he doesn't even seem to care at all for his dying daughter. And I hate the way he calls people yo-yo's.
Otherwise, I think it's very well done and I like the ending. I would love to see a director's cut to see what Savini really envisioned.

ProfessorChaos
01-Dec-2009, 03:50 AM
didn't want to start a new thread for this, but anyway:

over the weekend, AMC had a marathon of sorts going, and me and the new ladyfriend watched the original NotLD. this weekend she's coming out and i think i'm going to show her the remake....and it got me to wondering: wow, almost 20 years old....wonder if they'll release an anniversary edition dvd? (not like the 30th anniversary of the original night, hopefully)

pretty excited about this, it's always fun getting someone new stuck on the living dead genre.:D

C5NOTLD
01-Dec-2009, 10:02 PM
he understands that it is popular among zombie fans but he still detests it because of the, uh, "problems" that he encountered both during production and in post production.

That's too bad. With Romero/Streiner as Executive producers and Russo as a Producer, one would have thought they would have had enough control to let Savini make the film he wanted over the other producers. Wished they would have worked all of that out with the studio before the film went into production so we could have seen Savini's version.

DubiousComforts
02-Dec-2009, 01:41 AM
With Romero/Streiner as Executive producers and Russo as a Producer, one would have thought they would have had enough control to let Savini make the film he wanted over the other producers.
Russ Streiner has many great stories about that. He really needs to write a book.

acealive1
02-Dec-2009, 01:48 AM
when ever i watch the four dead movies together, the remake of night gets a spin over the original

DubiousComforts
02-Dec-2009, 02:00 AM
the remake of night gets a spin over the original
I oughta drag you outside and feed you to those things!

acealive1
02-Dec-2009, 05:10 AM
I oughta drag you outside and feed you to those things!

it makes it more smooth instead of switching from black and white to color. keeps a modern feel if u watch night 90 then, dawn, day and land.

Ghost Of War
02-Dec-2009, 07:23 AM
when ever i watch the four dead movies together, the remake of night gets a spin over the original

I do exactly the same thing sometimes. It gives it a different "feel".

acealive1
02-Dec-2009, 08:32 PM
I do exactly the same thing sometimes. It gives it a different "feel".

definitely. its kinda the perfect set for us younger fans. it makes more sense and makes us feel like we have our own "night". kinda like how we have our own star wars series now

DubiousComforts
02-Dec-2009, 08:42 PM
it makes more sense and makes us feel like we have our own "night". kinda like how we have our own star wars series now
And you can have 'em, too. The both of them! :p

acealive1
02-Dec-2009, 09:41 PM
And you can have 'em, too. The both of them! :p

damn you :lol:

DubiousComforts
02-Dec-2009, 09:52 PM
damn you :lol:
How about you guys take the 30th anniversary edition of NIGHT as yours, too? Pretty sure that it's up for grabs. :D

sandrock74
03-Dec-2009, 12:55 AM
How about you guys take the 30th anniversary edition of NIGHT as yours, too? Pretty sure that it's up for grabs. :D

HA! :lol:

acealive1
03-Dec-2009, 03:17 AM

i like my dollar wal mart version better

Ghost Of War
03-Dec-2009, 07:38 AM

I'd take it....and shove it somewhere...:mad:

capncnut
03-Dec-2009, 09:39 AM
How dare you! Night 30 is the best version ever made, the priest guy rules!

rongravy
04-Dec-2009, 05:02 AM
it makes it more smooth instead of switching from black and white to color. keeps a modern feel if u watch night 90 then, dawn, day and land.

Throw in Diary at the front and you have yourself a deal. I know it doesn't keep the order of the changing times, but I still like it.

As much as I like the original, the 90 version has better make up, color, and acting, though I wasn't fond of the chick. I just like realistic rotting flesh and deadness. Other than the first, I saw the rest when they came out.
This is why I hate low budget zombie movies made now, shitty make up and cheesed effects. Maybe I'm spoiled.
Thought something was starting to smell...
:dead:

acealive1
04-Dec-2009, 07:19 PM
Throw in Diary at the front and you have yourself a deal. I know it doesn't keep the order of the changing times, but I still like it.

As much as I like the original, the 90 version has better make up, color, and acting, though I wasn't fond of the chick. I just like realistic rotting flesh and deadness. Other than the first, I saw the rest when they came out.
This is why I hate low budget zombie movies made now, shitty make up and cheesed effects. Maybe I'm spoiled.
Thought something was starting to smell...
:dead:

i'll have to do that. sounds like ur onto something. i've only seen land, dawn 04 and .....well thats all in theaters. the others that followed were in short release so no chance to see it here.

darth los
08-Dec-2009, 07:51 PM

That's like a hot potato. No one wants to hold on to it for very long.

:cool:

Neil
22-Feb-2010, 12:35 PM
Aside from bad acting, weak score, and crap dialogue, its great!

The film was made so the original Image Ten partners could get some cash out of the name NOTLD, and it shows on screen.

I find the acting, score and dialogue fine... TBH, I'd rather watch it than the original...

Legion2213
22-Feb-2010, 04:41 PM
Night 90 is just as (if not more) enjoyable than the original IMO, I have certainly watched it more than "Night 68".

Tony Todd and Patrica Tallman are absolutely focking epic in the remake. The effects are pretty awesome as well. I love everything about it and can't wait for a BD version.

Phenia Films
22-Feb-2010, 05:34 PM
i honestly think its the best horror film of the 1990s (except for some Carpenter films)..hands down best horror film 1990!

daytime at the cemetery with the dead surrounding is/was a great look.
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/joebarbarisi/eccdawn.jpg

darth los
22-Feb-2010, 05:35 PM
Night 90 is just as (if not more) enjoyable than the original IMO, I have certainly watched it more than "Night 68".

Tony Todd and Patrica Tallman are absolutely focking epic in the remake. The effects are pretty awesome as well. I love everything about it and can't wait for a BD version.

I find the acting, score and dialogue fine... TBH, I'd rather watch it than the original...

Well, if Neil said it that i feel safe in doing so...:shifty:

Count me in. I'd rather watch the remake as well.

Yes i realize the historical significance of the original but the remake is just more enjoyable to watch, imo.

ProfessorChaos
22-Feb-2010, 06:11 PM
i've also never understood all the negative vibes towards night '90. while i do concur that it's not in the same league as the original, it's still a great film, imo.

aside from the girl playing judy, i thought all actors did well. the music is weak at some points, but very good in others (i've always like the opening scene and music), and the dead look pretty legit, even by today's standards. and even thought it's 20 years old, it's aged pretty well, if you ask me.

Trin
22-Feb-2010, 07:07 PM
The remake suffers from the main remake struggle. Someone says, "Hey, wouldn't it be great..." with whatever they hated in the original fixed. In this case it was, "Hey, wouldn't it be great if Barbra got off her butt and became a kick ass commando?" Hell, yeah... wait....

Hell NO!!

DjfunkmasterG
22-Feb-2010, 07:12 PM
I hope they do a remaster and put it out on Blu-Ray, but in terms of remakes the DAWN remake is the best of the Romero remade zombie films.

Neil
22-Feb-2010, 07:20 PM
I hope they do a remaster and put it out on Blu-Ray, but in terms of remakes the DAWN remake is the best of the Romero remade zombie films.

IYHO... Personally I'd rather watch NOTLD90, just too much daftness in the Dawn remake for me to accept in one sitting :) But each to their own of course :)

Legion2213
22-Feb-2010, 07:33 PM
The more I watch Dawn 04, the more I see it as a "what if" kind of thing more than a remake...these non-GAR zombies are so fast and aggressive it is frightening...no feeble pawing at the door whilst moaning a bit, they are coming through it and looking for you!!!

I love the speed that order collapses/gets overwhelmed. :)

Edit: The biggest flaw in "04" for me is several characters who I just don't care about and the lack of seeing more of civilisation getting destroyed - I really love that kind of thing.

Trin
23-Feb-2010, 02:57 PM
IYHO... Personally I'd rather watch NOTLD90, just too much daftness in the Dawn remake for me to accept in one sitting :) But each to their own of course :)
I need to go re-watch NOTLD90. I haven't seen it but a couple times and both of them were in the 90's.

Sadly, Encore has been showing "Dawn of the Dead ('78)" in their listings but have actually been running Dawn '04 when you flip over to it. How bitter is that?

The more I watch Dawn 04, the more I see it as a "what if" kind of thing more than a remake...these non-GAR zombies are so fast and aggressive it is frightening...no feeble pawing at the door whilst moaning a bit, they are coming through it and looking for you!!!

I love the speed that order collapses/gets overwhelmed. :)
Dawn '04 is the ultimate attempt to fix the original. The zombies aren't scary. They're too slow. Viola - velociraptor zombies. The mall is too enclosed, too safe, too boring. Voila - Andy's gun shop. Add some big explosions and some harrowing car chase scenes. Oh, and human drama. Should we kill the bit guy? What about the preggo gal? And poor Michael.

The funnest thing about Dawn '04 is the collapse and watching them deal with their little mall society as the rest of the world dissolves around them.

Edit: The biggest flaw in "04" for me is several characters who I just don't care about and the lack of seeing more of civilisation getting destroyed - I really love that kind of thing.You didn't like zombie baby? I wept for that poor little guy. And for the franchise that created him.

The one thing I truly missed in Dawn '04 was the securing the mall. They just kinda wandered in and everything was already secured.

bassman
23-Feb-2010, 03:09 PM
The one thing I truly missed in Dawn '04 was the securing the mall. They just kinda wandered in and everything was already secured.

They covered that with one line of horrible dialogue from the stereotypical mad-at-the-world black guy -- "Shattaproof glass, asshoe"

No need to secure the mall. Shatter proof glass.:annoyed:

Oh and I'm also one that really likes Night 90. I watch it more than the original and consider it the only remake that is worthy of Romero's name and work.

krakenslayer
23-Feb-2010, 03:24 PM
The Night remake is by far the best of the Romero remakes, for me. You can really tell it was made by the Romero "family", whereas in Dawn 04 that atmosphere is gone.

However, I am a bit of a gorehound and I thought it could have used a little more grue.

darth los
23-Feb-2010, 03:45 PM
However, I am a bit of a gorehound and I thought it could have used a little more grue.

So did Savini. :lol:

krakenslayer
23-Feb-2010, 04:45 PM
So did Savini. :lol:

:lol:

Touche, although Savini's original cut wasn't much more gruesome than what we saw. A shotgun decapitation and some extra blood spurts around headshots, but gut-munching was conspicuously absent even in the workprint.

If you're gonna have bullet hits, you gotta have some gut-munching to balance it out, otherwise it just comes across as people kicking zombie ass for an hour-and-a-half.

It's still an awesome zombie movie, despite that one drawback. I wouldn't even call it a flaw, it's just a personal taste thing.

darth los
23-Feb-2010, 04:59 PM
:lol:

Touche, although Savini's original cut wasn't much more gruesome than what we saw. A shotgun decapitation and some extra blood spurts around headshots, but gut-munching was conspicuously absent even in the workprint.

If you're gonna have bullet hits, you gotta have some gut-munching to balance it out, otherwise it just comes across as people kicking zombie ass for an hour-and-a-half.

It's still an awesome zombie movie, despite that one drawback. I wouldn't even call it a flaw, it's just a personal taste thing.

Imo, the subject matter in these types of movies is of the mature, gory variety. In order for the story if these horrific ghouls to be told what is is that they actually do must be shown.

As you said, anything else comes off as disingenuous, like the ghouls really aren't that much of a threat.

Legion2213
24-Feb-2010, 04:59 PM

They covered that with one line of horrible dialogue from the stereotypical mad-at-the-world black guy -- "Shattaproof glass, asshoe"

No need to secure the mall. Shatter proof glass.:annoyed:

Both valid points, although it's fair to point out that the folks in this version didn't have a chopper to land on the roof, or a nice gun shop to raid in order to obtain the weapons and ammo needed to clear a mall full of zombies.

I'd much rather be in Monroeville Mall than Dawnville 04 mall in either situation...shatter proof glass or not. :)

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/f/f1/D78gstore.jpg/600px-D78gstore.jpg

darth los
24-Feb-2010, 06:54 PM
Both valid points, although it's fair to point out that the folks in this version didn't have a chopper to land on the roof, or a nice gun shop to raid in order to obtain the weapons and ammo needed to clear a mall full of zombies.

I'd much rather be in Monroeville Mall than Dawnville 04 mall in either situation...shatter proof glass or not. :)

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/f/f1/D78gstore.jpg/600px-D78gstore.jpg

Also, for the record, when the protagonists from the original first went down into the mall all the shops were convieniently secured as well. With a couple of exceptions I might be forgetting, the only things they really had to secure were the entrances.

bassman
24-Feb-2010, 07:06 PM
Well now if you think about it they had to do a lot more to set up shop in the original. They had to build the fake wall, set up the trucks, stock the "living area", take out the (hundreds?) of zombies already inside the mall, do something with the bodies, make an escape plan, etc, etc.

In the remake it's like "Hey! There's a mall!", "We're in the mall!", "Only two zombies in here!", "they can't get in through the shatterproof glass, so let's not even bother!".

That's pretty much it. The whole "plan" of taking over the mall consists of them walking through the doors and shutting them behind them. No blocking the doors, no setting up of living areas, not enough zombies to hurt anyone, no stocking, no escape plans, nothing.

ProfessorChaos
24-Feb-2010, 07:52 PM
..."they can't get in through the shatterproof glass, so let's not even bother!"...

http://www.filmdope.com/Gallery/ActorsP/13763-26355.gif

shattaproof, asshole.

darth los
24-Feb-2010, 08:13 PM
Well now if you think about it they had to do a lot more to set up shop in the original. They had to build the fake wall, set up the trucks, stock the "living area", take out the (hundreds?) of zombies already inside the mall, do something with the bodies, make an escape plan, etc, etc.

Isn't it ironic that after all those "chores" were done that there was really nothing left for them to "live" for and that's around the time their malaise set in?

They should have built their asses a stronger wall, or thin out the herd that was gathering around the mall day after day.

I actually have a whole list of them . :lol:

SRP76
24-Feb-2010, 08:43 PM
I'm not a fan of the Night remake. The farce of a "struggle" with the first zombie of the movie (oh, let's have the "oops, I'm hitting the worng guy" gag happen repeatedly here) made me almost turn it off, but I toughed it out.

It did get better from there thankfully, but I groaned a lot at Barbra drinking a glass of Insta-Badass about 40 minutes in. It was downhill from there.

And then they take the best part of the whole movie (the irony of Ben surviving this hell only to get accidentally killed) and change it. Duh.

Neil
24-Feb-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm not a fan of the Night remake. The farce of a "struggle" with the first zombie of the movie (oh, let's have the "oops, I'm hitting the worng guy" gag happen repeatedly here) made me almost turn it off, but I toughed it out.

It did get better from there thankfully, but I groaned a lot at Barbra drinking a glass of Insta-Badass about 40 minutes in. It was downhill from there.

And then they take the best part of the whole movie (the irony of Ben surviving this hell only to get accidentally killed) and change it. Duh.

The super thin zombie coming through the window, and being shot (by Patricia Tallman), IMHO is one of the most impressive zombie moments of any of them...

Trin
24-Feb-2010, 09:04 PM
In the remake it's like "Hey! There's a mall!", "We're in the mall!", "Only two zombies in here!", "they can't get in through the shatterproof glass, so let's not even bother!".

That's pretty much it. The whole "plan" of taking over the mall consists of them walking through the doors and shutting them behind them. No blocking the doors, no setting up of living areas, not enough zombies to hurt anyone, no stocking, no escape plans, nothing.Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. The major "what would you do" aspect of deciding to stay in the mall and the resultant securing of the mall was filtered down into a 5 minute walk around scene. And then they used the extra time for dudes trying on women's shoes, zombie baby, and guys saving girl saving dog scenes.

...but I groaned a lot at Barbra drinking a glass of Insta-Badass about 40 minutes in. It was downhill from there.
Amen.

SRP76
24-Feb-2010, 09:15 PM
The Dawn remake had to be done the way it was, with the zombies that were being used. With running Superman zombies, you're not "securing" jack shit. You're getting three feet, then being eaten.

The only way there was going to be a movie in a mall was if it were already locked down and pretty much zombie-free.

Legion2213
24-Feb-2010, 09:16 PM
Yep Dawn 04 could've been better (name me a film that couldn't have been improved one way or another). But it's nothing like the car crash that some folks make it out to be.

Oh, and as for Night 90, skinny snake zombie rocked! :)

Barbara simply nailed what I did on my very first viewing of GARs zombies - "they're so slow..."

paranoid101
24-Feb-2010, 10:55 PM
Yep Dawn 04 could've been better (name me a film that couldn't have been improved one way or another). But it's nothing like the car crash that some folks make it out to be.

Barbara simply nailed what I did on my very first viewing of GARs zombies - "they're so slow..."

I loved Dawn 04 a real popcorn action movie, its not better that Dawn 78, but its hell of alot better than most of the zombie movies of late.

I love them both, tbh they really only share the title together, both are quite different films.

I'm hoping that the crazies film will have a similar feel for me as Dawn 04 did

bassman
24-Feb-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm hoping that the crazies film will have a similar feel for me as Dawn 04 did

If by similar you mean lacking any real substance, most reviews are saying that is exactly what you're going to get...

paranoid101
25-Feb-2010, 12:34 AM
If by similar you mean lacking any real substance, most reviews are saying that is exactly what you're going to get...

Meh each to their own, either you like it or you don't no point fighting about it.

bassman
25-Feb-2010, 12:49 AM
Meh each to their own, either you like it or you don't no point fighting about it.

Not at all, man. You said Dawn04 was a popcorn flick. I was just saying that's what i'm hearing about The Crazies.

Neil
25-Feb-2010, 09:09 AM
If I recall, Savini was in a taxi and that guy was the taxi driver, and Savini asked him to be a zombie in the remake.

What gets me about that scene is to me (a) it just looks just like a zombie should, no over the top teeth, ridges for eyebrows, big teeth, silly contact lenses or godzilla screams, (b) the bullets going into him, which of course were not CGI, just looked amazing!

bushcraft
08-Mar-2010, 04:16 PM
Why did this Night90 take so long to come out in the uk?

darth los
08-Mar-2010, 07:59 PM
What gets me about that scene is to me (a) it just looks just like a zombie should, no over the top teeth, ridges for eyebrows, big teeth, silly contact lenses or godzilla screams

Yeah man, I can't stand that either. :lol:

http://www.filmdope.com/Gallery/ActorsC/19260-26600.gif

Neil
09-Mar-2010, 07:37 AM
Yeah man, I can't stand that either. :lol:

http://www.filmdope.com/Gallery/ActorsC/19260-26600.gif

^^^

That frankly looks shite doesn't it

This is far more scary...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dUcmyzz8pAM/Rw_OS7EhZuI/AAAAAAAABWA/KmPx-uPPHUs/s400/proof+of+death.jpg

MinionZombie
09-Mar-2010, 10:00 AM
Not at all, man. You said Dawn04 was a popcorn flick. I was just saying that's what i'm hearing about The Crazies.

The Crazies 2010 has a shedload more going for it than Yawn04, and has definitely got more smarts about it, even if it has less than the original ... and what's more, it doesn't have some stupid teenage girl fucking everyone's already stupid plan up by going after a frickin' dog. :sneaky:

Here's what I made of it, by-the-by:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2010/03/crazies.html

^^^

That frankly looks shite doesn't it

This is far more scary...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dUcmyzz8pAM/Rw_OS7EhZuI/AAAAAAAABWA/KmPx-uPPHUs/s400/proof+of+death.jpg

To be fair to Big Daddy, that's 3 years into an outbreak, so he's probably quite an old zombie - the real problem was that the back of his head was pretty much as-is, which was daft.

Biggy D's teeth look much better than some teeth recent zombies have been given. D's teeth just look skanky - like they haven't been cleaned for years - whereas some recent zombies suddenly get full-on orthodontic nightmares in their mouths after becoming a zombie, which makes no sense at all.

The ridges around the eyes and brow ... obviously it's supposed to try and emulate a sunken face, but more often than not it just looks like what it is - prosthetics built on top of someone's existing, plenty healthy, face.

Indeed, the zombies in Night 90 are perhaps the most realistic zombies - the milky eyes, the slightly larger ears, the emaciated look - even though that's very early into an outbreak, mind you, but the realism to the dead folk (such as the cemetery zombie - his coffin suit sliced up the back and everything, plus a Y-incision on his chest) in that flick was top notch.

It really made them feel lifeless - like when Todd's Ben appears in the cellar doorway as a zombie, you really feel like it's an actual zombie, and not just Tony Todd wearing make-up - whatever Ben was, he's no longer there.

I think more lessons should be learned RE zombie make-up from Night 90 than anywhere else, to be honest. There was a technical honesty to their look that really worked - if they'd taken that and added 3 years to it, then Land would have had top notch zombies (although I'm less critical than some of you folks are of them).

fulci fan
09-Mar-2010, 11:35 AM
The reason why the makeup and effects are really good in Night 90 is because of a company called "Optic Nerve". They might not have worked on the best films but they always did top notch work. I don't know if they just do CG now or what. They just did Legion, and by the looks of the trailer, the CG looked really bad.

darth los
09-Mar-2010, 04:23 PM
If I recall, Savini was in a taxi and that guy was the taxi driver, and Savini asked him to be a zombie in the remake.

What gets me about that scene is to me (a) it just looks just like a zombie should, no over the top teeth, ridges for eyebrows, big teeth, silly contact lenses or godzilla screams, (b) the bullets going into him, which of course were not CGI, just looked amazing!

The Crazies 2010 has a shedload more going for it than Yawn04, and has definitely got more smarts about it, even if it has less than the original ... and what's more, it doesn't have some stupid teenage girl fucking everyone's already stupid plan up by going after a frickin' dog. :sneaky:

Here's what I made of it, by-the-by:
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2010/03/crazies.html

To be fair to Big Daddy, that's 3 years into an outbreak, so he's probably quite an old zombie - the real problem was that the back of his head was pretty much as-is, which was daft.

Biggy D's teeth look much better than some teeth recent zombies have been given. D's teeth just look skanky - like they haven't been cleaned for years - whereas some recent zombies suddenly get full-on orthodontic nightmares in their mouths after becoming a zombie, which makes no sense at all.

The ridges around the eyes and brow ... obviously it's supposed to try and emulate a sunken face, but more often than not it just looks like what it is - prosthetics built on top of someone's existing, plenty healthy, face.

Indeed, the zombies in Night 90 are perhaps the most realistic zombies - the milky eyes, the slightly larger ears, the emaciated look - even though that's very early into an outbreak, mind you, but the realism to the dead folk (such as the cemetery zombie - his coffin suit sliced up the back and everything, plus a Y-incision on his chest) in that flick was top notch.

It really made them feel lifeless - like when Todd's Ben appears in the cellar doorway as a zombie, you really feel like it's an actual zombie, and not just Tony Todd wearing make-up - whatever Ben was, he's no longer there.

I think more lessons should be learned RE zombie make-up from Night 90 than anywhere else, to be honest. There was a technical honesty to their look that really worked - if they'd taken that and added 3 years to it, then Land would have had top notch zombies (although I'm less critical than some of you folks are of them).

Well, when i posted that pic it was more to prove a point. Neil was going on how he hated certain features on zombies, (listed in his quote above) most likely refering to dawn 04'.

I just found it humorously ironic that Big daddy shares all if not all of those traits. :lol:

But youu made some good points.

general tbag
15-Mar-2010, 01:08 AM
No comparsion the original pwns the remake.why?

Romero has a script with zombies as a back drop, people in a situation forced by events.All things considered like budget, this movie is a masterpiece from the script, and how it was shot to the final cut. .

Myself i liked how all the original chracters were , for the reason it showed not only the complexity of the situation but the added complexity of peoples personailty and the groups demise. I liked how barbara was played in the original, it reinforced the idea that in a bad situation people do react different. One thing i didint like about the remake, barbara went from a middle class/wealthy family to being rambo.highly unlikely. The original retained that sense of reality that a spoiled person like that would have a hard time adapting to a life and death situation.

CooperWasRight
24-Mar-2010, 11:18 PM
Nothing can take away 68's place in history... But 90 is on a technical level much better in every aspect... I have to say I love both and the black and white and vintage soundtrack adds to the nostalgic value of 68 but I watch 90 far more often. Tony Todd is amazing as Ben.

Neil
25-Mar-2010, 12:02 PM
Nothing can take away 68's place in history... But 90 is on a technical level much better in every aspect... I have to say I love both and the black and white and vintage soundtrack adds to the nostalgic value of 68 but I watch 90 far more often. Tony Todd is amazing as Ben.

I also love Patricia Tallman's Barbara. Far more interesting than the original's..

bassman
25-Mar-2010, 12:05 PM
I prefer the remake's Judy Rose.:shifty::p

Seriously though - between Tallman, Todd, and Towles....Night90 had an awesome cast. Especially Todd and Towles. I can't imagine anyone else doing as well as they did.

MinionZombie
25-Mar-2010, 12:38 PM
I also love Patricia Tallman's Barbara. Far more interesting than the original's..
On the other hand the new Judy Rose is dreadful ... gotta be honest ... makes me wanna eat my own head.

Also, it's a damn shame the flick suffered from the MPAA ... the uncut snippets of gore seen on the DVD's making of are class.

ryansson
25-Mar-2010, 12:47 PM
I really enjoyed NOTLD remake, good stuff and great atmosphere. Is the old guy who bumps into Barbara a zed or just a shell-shocked undertaker?

bassman
25-Mar-2010, 12:53 PM
I really enjoyed NOTLD remake, good stuff and great atmosphere. Is the old guy who bumps into Barbara a zed or just a shell-shocked undertaker?

He says "I'm sorry". He was living. As Savini says in the making of, it was one of the many times he used the audience's knowledge of the original as misdirection.

ryansson
25-Mar-2010, 01:16 PM
Yeah but he says it in a weird kinda way then turns towards her as if to attack, then disappears in the commotion of the zed on barb, this is where it confused me as to his living status.

Neil
25-Mar-2010, 02:15 PM
He says "I'm sorry". He was living. As Savini says in the making of, it was one of the many times he used the audience's knowledge of the original as misdirection.

He was no doubt injured/traumatised by the creatures...

bassman
25-Mar-2010, 03:37 PM
He was no doubt injured/traumatised by the creatures...

Right. He had obvious wounds on his forehead and elsewhere, but the fact that he speaks and then walks away from Barbara makes it pretty obvious that he wasn't dead, imo.

darth los
25-Mar-2010, 04:39 PM
Yeah but he says it in a weird kinda way then turns towards her as if to attack, then disappears in the commotion of the zed on barb, this is where it confused me as to his living status.

Yeah, he was probably traumatized. He's been working with corpses his whole life. To see one twitch and get up was probably a bad shock to his system.

I just wonder if he would have blended in, Shaun of the dead style?

That's the real question my friends !! :lol:

bassman
25-Mar-2010, 04:46 PM
Nah...I think the real question is whether or not he was helping the real zombie out. It was a tag team event. If you watch it, he comes from Barbara's right and the zombie ends up coming from her left. Surely the crazy old dude saw it? Then on top of that, as he's walking away he turns around as the zombie is attacking and does nothing but watch!:lol:

Go to 4:00

pqrWiDGZiP0&hl=en_US&fs=1&

Trin
25-Mar-2010, 04:48 PM
I liked the original Barbra. She was a real person. Not some commando-ette in disguise who finds her inner Rambo.

In any real situation as horrific as the dead rising and eating the living, you know a solid half the population would be totally freaked, panic stricken, checked out, whacked out, shut down ... whatever. She was a totally believable portrayal of a girl who had just watched her brother killed and had to escape the murderer, then discovers the countryside is crawling with ghouls.

darth los
25-Mar-2010, 04:52 PM
Nah...I think the real question is whether or not he was helping the real zombie out. It was a tag team event. If you watch it, he comes from Barbara's right and the zombie ends up coming from her left. Surely the crazy old dude saw it? Then on top of that, as he's walking away he turns around as the zombie is attacking and does nothing but watch!:lol:

Holy shit dude that was funny. :lol:

He's Obviously is a big fan of frannies' tap dance while watching stephen struggle with a ghoul at the airport. :lol:

MinionZombie
25-Mar-2010, 07:07 PM
Right. He had obvious wounds on his forehead and elsewhere, but the fact that he speaks and then walks away from Barbara makes it pretty obvious that he wasn't dead, imo.
Indeed.

Plus that guy has a great bit part in the movie, he's so memorable - the guy looks batshit freaked out.

Didn't care for Barbara's haircut in the remake ... ... gotta say ... it always bugs me, it's so 1990. Also at times the film can look and sound a bit 'TV Movie' ... this is mainly, for me anyway, in the opening sequence. Just tiny, silly niggles I've always had with the movie.

Still can't stand Judy Rose. Goddamn she was annoying.

Mr Magruder does look seriously awesome as a zombie though, that cloudy-eyed, slack-jawed, moaning stammering shamble he does is just awesome.

Neil
25-Mar-2010, 07:42 PM

I think the rubber dummy at 5:10 is terrible :stunned:

It looked soooo bad! Maybe should have done it with the head facing the other way to hide the non-human looking Johnnie face of it...

MinionZombie
25-Mar-2010, 08:11 PM
I think the rubber dummy at 5:10 is terrible :stunned:

It looked soooo bad! Maybe should have done it with the head facing the other way to hide the non-human looking Johnnie face of it...
Tell me about it.

I'm stunning they decided to do it that way, it just looks dreadful. A high angle or close up of the actual hit in a brief shot cut in between a low angle (that would hide a crash mat), would have covered that moment better in my view, rather than a wide with a really obvious dummy.

Or could a rubber tombstone have been the way to go? A real actor, and a fake tombstone would have worked better, surely.

I still really like the movie, don't let my moaning about little things suggest otherwise ... but yeah ... that dummy, good lord.

darth los
25-Mar-2010, 08:28 PM
It's funny because the passage of time invariably makes sfx look dated, however, this looked horrible in 1990. :hurl:

bassman
25-Mar-2010, 09:38 PM
It's been a long time since I've seen the whole flick, but as I recall that's really the only bad effect.

What makes it even worse is that this Tom Savini's flick! One of the greatest special effects wizards of all time! And he let this slide by? huh?:confused:

darth los
25-Mar-2010, 11:22 PM
It's been a long time since I've seen the whole flick, but as I recall that's really the only bad effect.

What makes it even worse is that this Tom Savini's flick! One of the greatest special effects wizards of all time! And he let this slide by? huh?:confused:

Alot of things were out of his control on this film. We all know the story but, once again, if your going to hire the chef you need to let him buy the groceries.

CooperWasRight
26-Mar-2010, 01:30 AM
Tell me about it.

I'm stunning they decided to do it that way, it just looks dreadful. A high angle or close up of the actual hit in a brief shot cut in between a low angle (that would hide a crash mat), would have covered that moment better in my view, rather than a wide with a really obvious dummy.

Or could a rubber tombstone have been the way to go? A real actor, and a fake tombstone would have worked better, surely.

I still really like the movie, don't let my moaning about little things suggest otherwise ... but yeah ... that dummy, good lord.

You have it right about the choice of lens and angle... However a rubber tombstone would not work at all... The would be no good angle to disguise the crumple effect, and it would have to give otherwise it may as well be made of stone.

MinionZombie
26-Mar-2010, 10:49 AM
You have it right about the choice of lens and angle... However a rubber tombstone would not work at all... The would be no good angle to disguise the crumple effect, and it would have to give otherwise it may as well be made of stone.
The only possible way would be for part of the tombstone to be rubber, and only imply the hit - i.e. we don't see tombstone-meet-head, we instead see the head in front of the rubber portion of tombstone (from the camera's perspective) - hopefully hiding any bend that the rubber would provide, but implying the strike itself.

That would require the strike to come from a different angle too, like starting nearer the camera, and then descending away from the lens and down onto the rubber portion - you could even have a blood pack on the back of his head which would burst on the strike, then just make sure he falls the right way, and it would possibly work.

Neil
26-Mar-2010, 10:58 AM
The only possible way would be for part of the tombstone to be rubber, and only imply the hit - i.e. we don't see tombstone-meet-head, we instead see the head in front of the rubber portion of tombstone (from the camera's perspective) - hopefully hiding any bend that the rubber would provide, but implying the strike itself.

That would require the strike to come from a different angle too, like starting nearer the camera, and then descending away from the lens and down onto the rubber portion - you could even have a blood pack on the back of his head which would burst on the strike, then just make sure he falls the right way, and it would possibly work.

There are two dummies, the human and the zombie. Notice how the human one looks less real than the zombie one? This is mainly because you can see its entire face, and we're rather good at recognising those. So its made very easy for us to detect/see it's not a real face/person. If the face had been turned to look down, or even away slightly, we would be harder pushed to tell it wasn't real.

shootemindehead
26-Mar-2010, 12:40 PM
Have to say, the first time I saw it, I was convinced. it was only after repeated viewings that the dummy thing started to grate.

A little better editing and the scene would have sufficed though. The only problem is that the camera lingers that little bit too long.

Neil
26-Mar-2010, 02:00 PM
Have to say, the first time I saw it, I was convinced. it was only after repeated viewings that the dummy thing started to grate.

A little better editing and the scene would have sufficed though. The only problem is that the camera lingers that little bit too long.

Yeh, if they had cut away the moment the instant the impact happened, and then went for a close up on the real actor with a wound? That way we would never have seen the stationary dummy and had even less time to see it for the fake it was...

Trin
26-Mar-2010, 02:09 PM
"dummies... dummies... dummies..."

Couldn't resist.

bassman
26-Mar-2010, 02:23 PM
"dummies... dummies... dummies..."

It's funny how it's simply impossible for me to read that in my own voice. I can't hear that word without repeating it twice more with the doctor's voice...

darth los
26-Mar-2010, 03:19 PM
Have to say, the first time I saw it, I was convinced.

So was I...When i was 12 ! :p

I kid, i kid.

DubiousComforts
26-Mar-2010, 04:41 PM

Having a real editor on this film would have really worked wonders.

Lingering on the Johnny dummy is just one of numerous editing blunders in the film -- another of which is the obvious Uncle Reg dummy that Barbara hits one too many times with the poker.

Poor editing is the single most important reason why the remake could never, ever touch the original which utilized primitive, yet far more effective special effects.

darth los
26-Mar-2010, 04:44 PM
It's funny how it's simply impossible for me to read that in my own voice. I can't hear that word without repeating it twice more with the doctor's voice...

And of course no one not on this site has the foggiest about why you're doing it. :lol:

bassman
26-Mar-2010, 05:06 PM
Happens all the time. I'll drop a quote from one my favorite flicks and people give me the puzzled puppy dog head tilt look.

"We got this by the ass!" usually gets a funny response. "By the....ass?"

darth los
26-Mar-2010, 06:07 PM
Happens all the time. I'll drop a quote from one my favorite flicks and people give me the puzzled puppy dog head tilt look.

"We got this by the ass!" usually gets a funny response. "By the....ass?"

Oh there are plenty in the series that would get looks like that. We could start a thread on them alone.

"Mouth full of Greek salad"
"they're coming to get you barbara"
"biggest piece of meat in the cave"
"I'm running this monkey farm now frankenstein!"
"We're trying to make it to the island", "what island", "any island".

to name a few

Trin
26-Mar-2010, 06:54 PM
Oh there are plenty in the series that would get looks like that. We could start a thread on them alone.

to name a few

Ones I use all the time and no one knows why...

"Dummies... dummies... dummies..." (You gotta do the voice, and you gotta hold your hand up and your head down)
"Is that food enough for you?" (preferably yelling and spitting for no apparent reason)
"I'm dealing with it man. I'm dealing with it." (with a wild look in the eyes)
"We whipped em. We whippped em good."
"Scary. Isn't it?"
"You ain't just down here by yourself."
"It's gonna start to stink in here. We gotta clean it up."

"When there's no more room in ______ the ______ will walk the ______." Insert whatever.... when there's no more room in the restaurant, the patrons will walk the sidewalk. When there's no more room in the dentist's office, the customers will walk the waiting room. It helps to say it real solemnly.

I need to start using "we got this by the ass". I don't know why I haven't yet.

MinionZombie
26-Mar-2010, 07:02 PM
All this talk of Night90 is making me wanna watch it with the commentary on again ... and the making of.

Legion2213
26-Mar-2010, 11:05 PM

to name a few

"Beat 'em or burn 'em" - one of my faves. :)

darth los
27-Mar-2010, 12:03 AM
"Beat 'em or burn 'em" - one of my faves. :)

You can be boss down there, I'm boss up here is absolutely classic as well.

CooperWasRight
27-Mar-2010, 07:13 AM
I guess Im kind of alone on this but I thought coopers dated insult are amusing... "LAME BRAINS!"

mista_mo
27-Mar-2010, 11:53 AM
Oh, Lord no Coop. That is my favorite moment in the film, especially how he says it.

It always cracks me up, and I don't even know why.

SymphonicX
05-Apr-2010, 02:10 PM
"Aint it a crime?"

darth los
05-Apr-2010, 08:03 PM
i Always thought he said, "the end of crime".

Oh well, another reason to drag the old girl out and give her a viewing. How will i ever make it? lol

wayzim
08-Apr-2010, 11:41 PM
i Always thought he said, "the end of crime".

Oh well, another reason to drag the old girl out and give her a viewing. How will i ever make it? lol

"Ain't it a crime. "
"What? "
"The only one who can miss with this gun is the sucker with the bread to buy it. "

Wayne Z
"Shit! I could do that even if all this wasn't going on. "

clanglee
09-Apr-2010, 12:21 AM
I mostly just like walking around and yelling at random people "Wake up Sucka!!"

Andy
09-Apr-2010, 12:40 AM
I guess Im kind of alone on this but I thought coopers dated insult are amusing... "LAME BRAINS!"

The phrase "bunch of yo yo's" always cracks me up, it just seems like the lamest thing you could possibly say. Is it even a insult?

darth los
09-Apr-2010, 04:13 PM
"Ain't it a crime. "
"What? "
"The only one who can miss with this gun is the sucker with the bread to buy it. "

Still sounds like what i said it was to me. I'd still put my money on, "The end of crime" thanks.

The word he says clearly has two syllables to it which the word ain't certainly is not comprised of.

If you don't think he says the end of, fine, but it Ain't, ain't either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4eJEFuZD1M

The phrase "bunch of yo yo's" always cracks me up, it just seems like the lamest thing you could possibly say. Is it even a insult?

Unfortunatley it's trying to be, so yes.

Trin
09-Apr-2010, 04:39 PM
Still sounds like what i said it was to me. I'd still put my money on, "The end of crime" thanks.

The word he says clearly has two syllables to it which the word ain't certainly is not comprised of.

If you don't think he says the end of, fine, but it Ain't, ain't either.
I think he says, "Idn't it a crime." A garbly slack jawed version of, "Isn't it."

The end of crime doesn't make a lick of sense. Not even as much as chocolate man.

Unfortunatley it's trying to be, so yes.
Even if it's NOT trying to be an insult I guarantee you someone out there can take it as one, and then it will be considered one. If only insults were restricted to intentional insults.

ProfessorChaos
09-Apr-2010, 05:56 PM
according to the novelization, peter says "ain't it a crime". in the film however, it does sound like he says "idn't it a crime".

anyways, how bout that night of the living dead remake? pretty good movie, huh?:D

darth los
09-Apr-2010, 06:55 PM
I think he says, "Idn't it a crime." A garbly slack jawed version of, "Isn't it."

The end of crime doesn't make a lick of sense. Not even as much as chocolate man.

It makes sense when you consider it's a cop saying it. He has this "super gun" (I think that's what they call it in the novel) that's obviously given him a raging boner, so i take it as he's saying he would be a one man wrecking crew and "end crime" if they would let him go on patrol with one of those.

And WTF is this film the professor keeps referring to?

Trin
09-Apr-2010, 08:36 PM
It makes sense when you consider it's a cop saying it. He has this "super gun" (I think that's what they call it in the novel) that's obviously given him a raging boner, so i take it as he's saying he would be a one man wrecking crew and "end crime" if they would let him go on patrol with one of those.
The man carried an automatic machine gun and you are contending that he saw that mall shop rifle as a weapon that would end crime? :rockbrow:

I maintain that the statement doesn't makes sense in the context of his follow-up remark.
"The end of crime. "
"What? "

Errr??

The NOTLD remake sucks... like any NOTLD remake would. Now that's on topic!!

darth los
09-Apr-2010, 08:44 PM
The man carried an automatic machine gun and you are contending that he saw that mall shop rifle as a weapon that would end crime? :rockbrow:

I maintain that the statement doesn't makes sense in the context of his follow-up remark.
"The end of crime. "
"What? "

Errr??

The NOTLD remake sucks... like any NOTLD remake would. Now that's on topic!!

I don't see how that's inconsistent with my statement. He's saying that he would be schooling fools because you CAN'T miss with that gun.

But one thing's for sure, he doesn't say "ain't". :D

bassman
09-Apr-2010, 08:46 PM
He says something along the lines of "aint/isn't it/innit a crime".

Why is this even a subject of debate?:lol:

Trin
11-Apr-2010, 12:30 AM
I don't see how that's inconsistent with my statement. He's saying that he would be schooling fools because you CAN'T miss with that gun.

But one thing's for sure, he doesn't say "ain't". :D

I don't recall him having a "missing fools" problem with any gun he had.

I agree it wasn't "ain't." I agree with bassman. Isn't it... innit...

And it's a point of debate because we all have the moral responsibility to prove darth wrong. :lol:

Andy
11-Apr-2010, 09:48 PM
according to the novelization, peter says "ain't it a crime". in the film however, it does sound like he says "idn't it a crime".

anyways, how bout that night of the living dead remake? pretty good movie, huh?:D
Wait a minute, we were talking about coopers "insult" in a night of the living dead remake topic, then you come in and declare it "way off the rails" and then turn it to dawn of the dead?

Did you miss the title of the topic of did i miss something?

ProfessorChaos
11-Apr-2010, 10:18 PM
think you might have missed something there, andy. i was referring to the fact that darth's interpretation of peter's line in the gunstore in dawn had derailed this topic. look over the posts from the last few days.

bassman
12-Apr-2010, 12:21 AM
Did you miss the title of the topic of did i miss something?

You missed something. The topic was derailed long ago concerning whether Peter said "The end of crime" or "Ain't it a crime"....

CooperWasRight
13-Apr-2010, 07:21 AM
He says something along the lines of "aint/isn't it/innit a crime".

Why is this even a subject of debate?:lol:

Agreed... But if its gonna keep going it clearly sounds like ain't it a crime.

Trin
13-Apr-2010, 04:09 PM
I think we need a poll.

He says:
"The end of crime."
"Ain't it a crime."
"Isn't it a crime."
"Innit it a crime."
"Idn't it a crime."
"What does this have to do with NOTLD remake?"

Eyebiter
16-Apr-2010, 04:41 PM
Lamebrains!

Big fan of NOTLD90. Would like to see a directors cut with the gore shots put back in. Perhaps in 10 years when CGI technology advances enough it will be possible to upgrade the film seamlessly.

bassman
16-Apr-2010, 04:52 PM
Someone around here(maybe even in this thread :confused: ) recently mentioned that Savini said he was working on the Night90 Blu Ray and it could have new features. So maybe he's getting to do a new cut? I hope so...

darth los
16-Apr-2010, 04:56 PM
Lamebrains!

Big fan of NOTLD90. Would like to see a directors cut with the gore shots put back in. Perhaps in 10 years when CGI technology advances enough it will be possible to upgrade the film seamlessly.

Only if Savini is at the helm. It's only right and I would love to see his true vision for the film. Probably much darker.

CooperWasRight
20-Apr-2010, 06:45 AM
Someone around here(maybe even in this thread :confused: ) recently mentioned that Savini said he was working on the Night90 Blu Ray and it could have new features. So maybe he's getting to do a new cut? I hope so...

Please someone substantiate this claim.

bassman
20-Apr-2010, 10:27 AM
Please someone substantiate this claim.

I didn't want to seem like a loon, so I went looking for it. About five posts down. Originally posted by HumanBiped.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?p=224134&highlight=savini+night#post224134

Also, Tom Savini said they are working on a Blu-Ray Directors Cut of his version of "Night of the Living Dead". Actually, it's the only thing he said to me when I met him, he was pretty much ignoring me when we met

Legion2213
21-Apr-2010, 08:54 AM
Night 1990 on Blu will be a day one buy for me. :)

Andy
21-Apr-2010, 09:32 AM
Lamebrains!

I smell another night of the living dead 30th anniversary project underway :shifty:

Neil
21-Apr-2010, 11:01 AM
I smell another night of the living dead 30th anniversary project underway :shifty:

No way! They'd not make that mistake again!

JonOfTheShred
16-May-2010, 04:45 AM
I loved this movie, and still do. A proper 'upgrade' to NOTLD, as opposed to what DOTD '04 was to '78. (Sharing only a title and a few names.)

While the gore wasn't as over-the-top and brutal as I would like, some of those zombies look AWESOME. I love the look of the very first few zombies we see, in particular. The very first zombie who kills Johnny, and the one whos clothes start to fall off as Barbara calls for help, look pretty unsettling and creepy. I really loved the look of the one Ben hits in his car, breaking its legs. Its got this squashed face thats creepy.

Some of the acting is abysmal. Like the lame couple, and the way the dude constantly referred to his girlfriend with BOTH names. "Judy Rose." :annoyed: But I actually kind of liked the cheesiness of how the argument between Cooper and Ben is portrayed in this one. It escalates so quickly, and the way Barbara kills Coop at the end is very satisfying. (I really like the entire end, when Barbara is 'rescued' by the hillbillies from DOTD '78.)

All in all, one of my favorite zombie movies. Its by no means perfect, and I'm sure a better cut existed at some point, but it is the best remake of any of the OT so far, and I can't see that honer being taken from it any time soon.

Neil
16-May-2010, 08:06 AM
I loved this movie, and still do. A proper 'upgrade' to NOTLD, as opposed to what DOTD '04 was to '78. (Sharing only a title and a few names.)

While the gore wasn't as over-the-top and brutal as I would like, some of those zombies look AWESOME. I love the look of the very first few zombies we see, in particular. The very first zombie who kills Johnny, and the one whos clothes start to fall off as Barbara calls for help, look pretty unsettling and creepy. I really loved the look of the one Ben hits in his car, breaking its legs. Its got this squashed face thats creepy.

Some of the acting is abysmal. Like the lame couple, and the way the dude constantly referred to his girlfriend with BOTH names. "Judy Rose." :annoyed: But I actually kind of liked the cheesiness of how the argument between Cooper and Ben is portrayed in this one. It escalates so quickly, and the way Barbara kills Coop at the end is very satisfying. (I really like the entire end, when Barbara is 'rescued' by the hillbillies from DOTD '78.)

All in all, one of my favorite zombie movies. Its by no means perfect, and I'm sure a better cut existed at some point, but it is the best remake of any of the OT so far, and I can't see that honer being taken from it any time soon.
Agreed! :thumbsup:

acealive1
17-Jul-2010, 07:01 PM

this guy is PERFECT! if only someone would do a real remake of dawn. the script is begging to be brought into present day scenarios. same mall,please!!

Wyldwraith
20-Jul-2010, 07:33 PM
About to identify myself as a heretic,
I actually much PREFER Savini's NotLD over GAR's. I really detested the complete uselessness and non-realism of Barbara's over-the-top hysteria. When she just freezes up as the zombies are breaking in and she lets them mob her with no reaction besides verbal hysteria/screaming it just pisses me off and is the culmination of what I detested about GAR's Barbara in the character's entirety.

Add to that the much grittier zombie-fighting and the appearance of the zombies overall, plus the far cooler and more sensible Barbara and ending of the movie focused on her. All together, I just enjoy Savini's Night much more than the original for a host of reasons that just add up.

Ironically, Savini does a superior/more believable job of conveying GAR's "We're the primary threat to ourselves when push comes to shove." I really dig the way his Barbara says "They're so slow, we could just walk past them." It brings home the notion that the pissing match in the house is the primary problem in a much more subtle, yet somehow clearer way with just a few lines of Barbara's and the very cool ending where she takes her own advice.

I'll take my lumps for my heresy, but I'm immovable on this one. To me, Savini's movie occupies the conceptually polished, tighter plot position normally occupied by the original version of a movie. Don't get me wrong, I give GAR his mad props for pioneering the genre, and his NotLD is great. It's just a matter of personal taste for me.

bassman
20-Jul-2010, 07:36 PM
You don't deserve to be called a fan, now fuck off and die!!!!

:p

Actually....that opinion isn't uncommon. Quite a few members here prefer Savini's over Romero's. Myself being one of them. Not that there's anything wrong with the original, but I more often put on the remake rather than the original.

Legion2213
22-Jul-2010, 07:47 PM
About to identify myself as a heretic,
I actually much PREFER Savini's NotLD over GAR's. I really detested the complete uselessness and non-realism of Barbara's over-the-top hysteria. When she just freezes up as the zombies are breaking in and she lets them mob her with no reaction besides verbal hysteria/screaming it just pisses me off and is the culmination of what I detested about GAR's Barbara in the character's entirety.

Add to that the much grittier zombie-fighting and the appearance of the zombies overall, plus the far cooler and more sensible Barbara and ending of the movie focused on her. All together, I just enjoy Savini's Night much more than the original for a host of reasons that just add up.

Ironically, Savini does a superior/more believable job of conveying GAR's "We're the primary threat to ourselves when push comes to shove." I really dig the way his Barbara says "They're so slow, we could just walk past them." It brings home the notion that the pissing match in the house is the primary problem in a much more subtle, yet somehow clearer way with just a few lines of Barbara's and the very cool ending where she takes her own advice.

I'll take my lumps for my heresy, but I'm immovable on this one. To me, Savini's movie occupies the conceptually polished, tighter plot position normally occupied by the original version of a movie. Don't get me wrong, I give GAR his mad props for pioneering the genre, and his NotLD is great. It's just a matter of personal taste for me.

Fuck yes! I got your back on this. :cool:

The Savini remakes is far superior IMO, I watch it so much more than the original - Tony Todd is the man and Patricia Tallman is just excellent. :)

AcesandEights
22-Jul-2010, 07:57 PM
Hmmmm, 'average every day' house frau from the 60s who goes hysterical and is 'frozen' with fear when confronted by her imminent, seemingly inescapable, doom at the hands of the mind-shatteringly animated undead vs. early 90s mousy nerd gal who goes super ninja-bitch under similar conditions...

Are we discussing which is more realistic, which is cooler or which is sexier?

Legion2213
22-Jul-2010, 08:17 PM
Babrara 90 snaps...but it's one of those "for the better" transitions.

"whatever I lost I lost a long time ago mister"

Anyways "realistic" can involve either "fight" or "flight", original Babrara retreats into her shattered brain, Barbara 90 says "fuck this" and decides she's not going down without a fight.

I like the fact that she calls everything right as well...she's obviously a woman who's been pushed around all her life...and now people are pushing her into a totally avoidable death and she says "no way".

Edit: Barbara 90 doesn't do anything extraordinary IMO, she just does decides to take control of her own destiny after a fashion...it's Tony "kick-ass" Todd who does ninja-ish things when taking on that bunch of zacks outside. :)

darth los
06-Aug-2010, 12:44 AM
You ever try and show anyone the original? Thye'll be bored to tears in 15 minutes.

Night 90' is the better film, imo, but the thing the original has over it is it's historical significance.

bassman
06-Aug-2010, 12:50 AM
You ever try and show anyone the original? Thye'll be bored to tears in 15 minutes.

I've found that newbies enjoy Night68, actually. It's Dawn where they get bored in 15 minutes.

Imo, there are two major issues that detract from night90 and fresh eyes. The 80's-ish soundtrack and the yo yo/lamebrains dialogue. :lol: Other than that it's held up well.

JDFP
06-Aug-2010, 12:54 AM

Hey, if you like people who can't appreciate great films as friends that's on you, Los, I just roll my eyes at people who can't appreciate them.

Anyway, you're all wrong...

"Night of the Living Dead 3D" is by FAR the most superior (even better than the masterpiece known as "Night" 30th Anniversary). C'mon Sid Haig is the MAN! :elol:

I'm actually looking forward to "Night of the Living Dead: Origins" and "Night of the Living Dead: Reanimated" as being something unique. All I know is that Joe Pilato is playing Cooper in "Origins" so it has my vote of confidence of hopefully not sucking.

I have the Rifftrax version of "NOTLD" saved for Halloween, hoping it will be good for a laugh with a 12-pack of beer.

If "NOTLD" is ever re-made in the future, I would think Michael Ironside would be an excellent Harry Cooper.

j.p.

darth los
06-Aug-2010, 12:58 AM
Hey, if you like people who can't appreciate great films as friends that's on you, Los, I just roll my eyes at people who can't appreciate them.

Nowdays, if there's no immediate payoff people can't appreciate it.

We now live in an adhd era which is the reason there's virtually no character development in modern film.

zomtom
11-Apr-2011, 07:14 AM
I really enjoyed the remake. I'm still waiting for it to be released on blu ray. I really enjoyed that Barbara got some balls and did a little "Ripley" on those zeds. The one thing which did bother me about the remake was the screaming between Ben and Cooper. In the original, Cooper was an asshole, plain and simple and you had to have sympathy for Ben for having to put up with him. In the remake, Ben's screaming back at him was almost as annoying. They took the screaming to another level where (in my opinion), Ben turned into an asshole as well. Every time I watch that movie (and it's been many), I find myself yelling at the screen for them to shut the hell up!!!!

JDFP
11-Apr-2011, 11:37 PM
If I was trapped in the house with the gang from NIGHT 90 I'd just try to find a way to get Judy alone and bang her.

Everyone else can die as far as I'm concerned, she was rather tasty looking.

:D

j.p.

Rancid Carcass
12-Apr-2011, 01:02 AM
she was rather tasty looking.

Son, you'll make a damn fine zombie someday... ;)

Neil
13-Apr-2011, 07:49 PM
so what did you guys think i really liked it i dont understand why tom didnt like it i thought it was really good and i like how he added some stuff like the ending

I love it...

Savini has always of course complained he didn't really have full hold on the reigns with the film, and infact it was even edited without him even there, so it would have been interesting to see what it would have been like had he been more/fully in control!

bassman
13-Apr-2011, 07:54 PM
Savini has always of course complained he didn't really have full hold on the reigns with the film, and infact it was even edited without him even there, so it would have been interesting to see what it would have been like had he been more/fully in control!

Maybe if that rumored/sorta-kinda confirmed directors cut blu ray could finally be released. The wait is killing me. :mad:

blind2d
14-Apr-2011, 12:58 PM
Yep, I liked it. Not the same as the original, but of course it wouldn't be. If only the dummy she whacks with the crow bar or whatever didn't look so fake... Of course, watching how it was done and knowing what it was probably didn't help much...

Neil
14-Apr-2011, 01:38 PM
Yep, I liked it. Not the same as the original, but of course it wouldn't be. If only the dummy she whacks with the crow bar or whatever didn't look so fake... Of course, watching how it was done and knowing what it was probably didn't help much...

Do you think a change of sound effect, and maybe a tiny bit of CGI blood could help that scene?

blind2d
15-Apr-2011, 01:30 PM
Hmm... Interesting, Neil. Perhaps... Yes, I think it might... Or maybe just fake blood, but that would be harder to control, yeah?

bassman
15-Apr-2011, 01:39 PM
Speaking of Uncle Rege.....I know he's a cop in Pittsburgh, but does anyone know if he's ever been featured on "Cops"? I'm fairly certain i've seen him on a few of the Pittsburgh reruns. Kinda funny after having seen him in Night90 for so many years.

Yojimbo
01-Jun-2011, 05:52 AM
Dude, I confess I have heard of this before and recall seeing this episode of Cops, though I had seen the episode before I saw the film. That dude is pretty unusual looking, though, and I rememnber that look.

bassman
01-Jun-2011, 12:20 PM
Dude, I confess I have heard of this before and recall seeing this episode of Cops, though I had seen the episode before I saw the film. That dude is pretty unusual looking, though, and I rememnber that look.

I couldn't find the episode on youtube but after a quick search i've found that it was definitely him. Just after Night90, actually. 1991.

Season 3 » Episode #24 - Pittsburgh, PA #2
Summary: (2:04 AM Domestic Dispute Call) Officer Pat Logan says on the job they've broken his arm, fractured his skull, stabbed him four times, run him over with a stolen car, smashed into him with a stolen car and put him out of commission a couple of time. He’s been in four gun battles and one where he saved an officer's life. He still has nightmares about gun battles and getting shot at, every once in a while wakes up in a cold sweat.

ZombieKeeper
08-Jun-2011, 07:11 PM
I think it's great. Great actors, great pacing and I love the twist a the end of the film. Would love to see this cleaned up and put on blu-ray.

Legion2213
13-Jul-2011, 10:59 AM
I think it's great. Great actors, great pacing and I love the twist a the end of the film. Would love to see this cleaned up and put on blu-ray.

In it's correct aspect ratio.

glazedoverdead
13-Jul-2011, 05:09 PM
Agreed, agreed, agreed!!!! I friggin loved Night '90!! I watch it all the time and I still enjoy it as much as I did back when it came out. Maybe for me it's more because it holds a special place in my heart. Just like the GAR films, each one of those films has it's own, flavor, it's own feel if you will, that seems to coincide with a particular time in my life and each of them is special for many reasons because of that. For me, movies, much like music, each have a different place, a different feel and emotion attached to it that I seem to revisit each time I see/hear them. I don't know if I'm making any sense or not, but what I mean is, I can watch a favorite film or hear a favorite song and it automatically transports me back to that time, that feeling, and those memories that I had when they came out or when I first saw/heard them.

Now that I've over explained that, I will just say this... When Night '90 came out, I was partying and enjoying my youth, but I missed my earlier years already as a younger child and I missed the intense feelings I had when I watched the GAR films as a child. Most fresh in my mind in 1990 was Day of the Dead and I LOVED that film when it came out. So, for 5 years I watched my VCR tape which had Night, Dawn, and Day on it...over and over again...waiting, for something new. When Night '90 came out I was exctatic and I was still deeply entrenched in the "80's" feel of everything so the 80's style music and feel to the movie totally worked for me. Not to mention the make up and the zeds were great and I felt like finally we had another great zombie film that I could add to my collection and watch repeatedly!! Yaaaaay!!!

Ragnarr
12-Sep-2011, 03:07 AM
I liked Night90 more so than the original probably because the acting and special effects were better, but also because Barbara got tough and survived. Interesting thought occurred to me though; the good guy vs. bad guy contention formula in both NotLD flicks. In Day of the Dead, the concept of "Ben" was now represented by the characters John, Sara, William, and Ted, with the concept of "Mr. Cooper" being represented by the characters Steel, Rickles, and Rhodes. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's something to think about.

Neil
12-Sep-2011, 08:10 AM
I liked Night90 more so than the original probably because the acting and special effects were better, but also because Barbara got tough and survived. Interesting thought occurred to me though; the good guy vs. bad guy contention formula in both NotLD flicks. In Day of the Dead, the concept of "Ben" was now represented by the characters John, Sara, William, and Ted, with the concept of "Mr. Cooper" being represented by the characters Steel, Rickles, and Rhodes. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's something to think about.
I can go with that! They're both great, but if I had to make the choice I think I'd watch the remake...

bd2999
12-Sep-2011, 04:45 PM
I like both quite a bit honestly and think it is probably one of the best remakes that did not exceed the original (The Blob or The Thing), but was still a very good movie. I think it is a really fun movie. Different vibes overall than the original but heart of it is there.

Ragnarr
13-Sep-2011, 08:08 PM
I wasn't aware that Savini didn't have complete control of the NotLD remake. Was GAR beating him with a rolled up newspaper during filming or something? If so, I wonder how much better (or worse) the film would have been if it was all Savini.

djboobytrap
16-Jul-2012, 05:55 PM
night of the living dead remake is my 3rd fave zombie film after dawn and day

Neil
17-Jul-2012, 10:15 AM
In the remake, that racial element doesn't exist.
...yes, but the racism move instead to sexism in the remake. ie: How strong Barbara is in the remake, and how she doesn't simply run around like a scared rabbit for the whole film :)

MinionZombie
17-Jul-2012, 11:44 AM
...yes, but the racism move instead to sexism in the remake. ie: How strong Barbara is in the remake, and how she doesn't simply run around like a scared rabbit for the whole film :)

Indeed - that's what Judy was for in the remake ... god I can't stand Judy in NOTLD90.

SymphonicX
18-Jul-2012, 02:17 PM

"Mouth full of Greek salad":cool:

haha when I met Captain Rhodes himself I got him to write this on my Day of the Dead poster...he said no one had ever asked him to write that before....lol....cue converstaion about how he actually likes Greek salad...I've never tried it...!

MinionZombie
15-Sep-2012, 12:28 PM
There's a very limited edition Blu-Ray coming out - 3,000 copies only.

http://dailydead.com/tom-savinis-night-of-the-living-dead-gets-limited-edition-blu-ray-release/

Special Features: Isolated Score Track / Audio Commentary with Filmmaker Tom Savini / Original Theatrical Trailer”

The Blu-ray will ship on October 9th and only 3,000 units are available. For more information or to pre-order your copy, visit:

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/21678/NIGHT-OF-THE-LIVING-DEAD-1990-PRE-ORDER/

DEAD BEAT
05-Dec-2012, 06:00 PM

Saw this in the Theatres when i was a teenager & i must say 1 of if not the best remake in zombie history! :D

I think Tom was still smokin pot back then....but gr8t job! :cool:

Plus he stayed true to Georges vision & didnt screw with it like these other art house goons who think there the shit.....but not.

Neil
05-Dec-2012, 06:16 PM
We'll there's big questions about how much director'ship he actually had... I suspect we'll never know for sure!?

kaushalsingh
10-Dec-2012, 07:50 AM
The remake did not live up to my expectations!!
Considering the original Night of the Living Dead it stand nowhere in front of it...
Bad acting,loose plot...i would suggest a big NO to go for this one!!!

Zombie369
17-Jun-2013, 11:11 PM
I actually liked this one better than the original but the original was good too. I guess I liked it because I preferred the stronger Barbara over the weaker one, and it fits with the other movies that came out after the original Night of the Living Dead in which there was always at least one strong heroine helping to fight the zombies and trying to survive just like the male characters (Sarah from Day of the Dead and Francine from Dawn of the Dead). I also liked how they played it out with Barbara starting off as the typical damsel in distress (just like her character from the original movie), but once she realizes what's at stake she literally ditches the skirt and picks up a gun ready to fight.

I can understand why Tom Savini hated his own movie though, he didn't get to make it as gory as he originally wanted. But even though this movie isn't as violent as the other movies I thought it was still a pretty effective horror movie.

Neil
18-Jun-2013, 09:33 AM
I love Night90 :)

Morto Vivente
27-Jun-2013, 06:20 PM
Ditto!! :)

Zombie369
01-Jul-2013, 08:33 PM
One thing about the 90 remake that really stood out in my mind was the ending when it showed Barbara walking around the camp full of survivors and she witnessed how these people became just as barbaric as the zombies by making "games" out of the ones they captured, then she gave the memoriable line of "They're us, we're them and they're us". I think that was a really powerful moment that explained the nastiness of human nature. Plus Barbara admitted that she was "having fun" because there were no more rules, and she even seemed to loose a bit of her own humanity when she shot Henry Cooper (the only survivor from the farm house) out of revenge for not wanting to help anybody and getting Ben killed and turned into a zombie.

This was something that I felt wasn't really explored in the original Night of the Living Dead. We actually got to see some human survivors and how they took advantage of the collapse of society to just do whatever they wanted. This was the kind of thing that was shown in Romero's other movies like Dawn of the Dead and Land of the Dead.

Rancid Carcass
02-Jul-2013, 01:19 AM
...people became just as barbaric as the zombies.

The zombies aren't really barbaric - they are just as much the victims of the zombie apocalypse as the survivors are. The difference is that the living choose to act barbarically, zombies are compelled to do what they do out of instinct - which technically, makes us the monsters!

MinionZombie
02-Jul-2013, 09:43 AM
Some good points there Zombie369.

Although, speaking generally of the movie, the one thing I hate about the flick is Judy-bloody-Rose ... I cannot stand her in the movie at all ... one second she's a whimpering nuisance, the next she's clambering on a high horse, the next she thinks she's Rambo, and then she's a whimpering mess again ... a really inconsistently written character who bugs the bejesus out of me! :lol:

It's a shame it got censored and we'll most likely never get an uncut version, but it's generally a decent flick with some really cool moments - I dug that they made much more of Barbara in the 1990 version, and yeah, that whole "They're us, we're them and they're us" ending was one of my favourite parts of the flick.

Zombie369
09-Jul-2013, 11:00 PM
Yeah I know what you mean, Judy Rose was pretty damn annoying in the 1990 remake. But I guess they just wanted her to take Barbara's place from the original as the screaming hysterical woman since they decided to make Barbara into a stronger female character in this one.

Geizeh
13-Jul-2013, 07:45 PM
I really liked it, but I think original had the atmosphere that haunts.

Geordie9
18-Oct-2013, 12:50 PM
After Dawn & Day this is my favourite movie ever. Tom Savini should make some more zombie movies

MoonSylver
18-Oct-2013, 04:47 PM
After Dawn & Day this is my favourite movie ever. Tom Savini should make some more zombie movies

Yeah. The reason Tom didn't get more opportunities to direct after this still puzzles me, as it was quite capably made.

FunkyPertwee
23-Mar-2014, 04:35 AM
Night 1990 is an awesome remake and would have been an awesome pilot for a TV series starring Barbara as a member of the redneck posse surviving the zombie apocalypse.

Its really unfortunate that the early 90's were so unwelcoming towards horror and gore, therefore setting the bar for an X-rating very low and good footage to be cut to receive a 1990-R rating, probably would be PG-13 in 2014.

Neil
24-Mar-2014, 09:52 AM
Night 1990 is an awesome remake and would have been an awesome pilot for a TV series starring Barbara as a member of the redneck posse surviving the zombie apocalypse.

Its really unfortunate that the early 90's were so unwelcoming towards horror and gore, therefore setting the bar for an X-rating very low and good footage to be cut to receive a 1990-R rating, probably would be PG-13 in 2014.

I personally love it!

LivingDeadGuy
07-Apr-2017, 12:41 PM
I love it. It was the first zombie movie I ever rented as a kid (not counting Scooby Doo on Zombie Island) and while the original was good i felt like this movie did somethings better like having one of the characters survive in the end plus the zombies all looked better than they did in the original.

JDP
07-Apr-2017, 01:25 PM
I love it. It was the first zombie movie I ever rented as a kid (not counting Scooby Doo on Zombie Island) and while the original was good i felt like this movie did somethings better like having one of the characters survive in the end plus the zombies all looked better than they did in the original.

I beg to differ. The original is better than the remake in everything except the makeup. The original is even "gorier" than the remake, which I thought was weird (when I went to see it for the first time I expected it would be a gore-fest, specially considering that Savini was in charge, but no such thing, I found it "tamer" in that department than the original.) And one of the shocking things about the original Night was in fact it's grim ending, where none of the movies' main characters survived.

Neil
07-Apr-2017, 04:38 PM
I beg to differ. The original is better than the remake in everything except the makeup. The original is even "gorier" than the remake, which I thought was weird (when I went to see it for the first time I expected it would be a gore-fest, specially considering that Savini was in charge, but no such thing, I found it "tamer" in that department than the original.) And one of the shocking things about the original Night was in fact it's grim ending, where none of the movies' main characters survived.

Acting? Some of the acting is better too?

But yes, having recently re-watched Night 1990, although I enjoyed it, I'd have to say the original is the better overall flick...

LivingDeadGuy
07-Apr-2017, 07:25 PM

I dont think a horror movie has to be drowned in gore effects just to be good. A lot of great horror movies had low levels of violence in them. Look at Psycho and Carnival of Souls.

JDP
07-Apr-2017, 09:42 PM
I dont think a horror movie has to be drowned in gore effects just to be good. A lot of great horror movies had low levels of violence in them. Look at Psycho and Carnival of Souls.

Yes, but the modern zombie genre is well known for its gore content. That's how its founder (viz. Romero) envisioned it and how most of his early Spanish & Italian followers (Ossorio, Grau, Fulci, Girolami, Bianchi, Mattei) also saw it and fully exploited it.

- - - Updated - - -

Acting? Some of the acting is better too?

But yes, having recently re-watched Night 1990, although I enjoyed it, I'd have to say the original is the better overall flick...

I have mixed feelings about the acting in both films. Some of the actors from the 1968 film did a better job than those of the remake, and vice versa. Also, the way the characters were written in both films also has an influence on this. For example, I prefer the original Cooper than the remake one. The Cooper of the remake was too much of an a-hole to be believable. The "a-holeness" of the original Cooper was more realistic. In fact, you can feel more sympathy for a character like the original Cooper than that of the remake. At least the original Cooper sometimes did make more sense than the other characters.

LivingDeadGuy
07-Apr-2017, 10:23 PM
I dunno, if you grew up with an abusive father or were ever in an abusive relationship i think remake Cooper would be believable. His asshole behaviour in a crisis was exactly what i would expect from a domineering man especially in regards to the way he treated his wife Helen.

bassman
16-May-2018, 08:35 PM
Perhaps I missed it, but have any of you guys picked up this Australian release? It’s at the very least a step up from that saturated blue version from a few years back.

https://www.umbrellaent.com.au/movies/2519-night-of-the-living-dead-1990-blu-ray.html

- - - Updated - - -

Where are the very hardcore completist guys that I KNOW have seen this Australian Umbrella release?!? My finger is hovering over the purchase button, but the memory of the Twilight Times debacle still haunts me!

ProfessorChaos
18-May-2018, 01:24 AM
Oh yeah, it is worth every penny. Pre-ordered it, no regrets.