PDA

View Full Version : Chances of there being a sequel (or another dead film)?

Neil
11-Mar-2006, 07:16 AM
If you had to rate the chances of there being a sequel/another dead film out of 5 (1 being not a hope, 5 being almost certainly)?

erisi236
11-Mar-2006, 03:26 PM
4, more then likely but you never know for sure. :)

mista_mo
11-Mar-2006, 03:46 PM
uhhh...I'd go for a 3. I think it did well enough at the box office to warrant a sequel, but who knows?

axlish
11-Mar-2006, 03:47 PM
There are several factors.

1. Romero's age
2. Zombie Films are In
3. Romero's is averaging one film every 3 years since 1968
4. Land made money

I gave it a 3. I imagine that Romero's phone is ringing again, so he may get caught up in another flick soon. If his average holds true, he should begin filming something soon, something that would be released in 2008. If that film isn't a zombie film then that hurts the chances. Zombie films could be out by the time he finishes. Land did make a profit. The sequel, if budgeted properly, could be a nice money maker again, no matter when released. Romero's DVD sales have been great too.

I'm not sure where I stand on the issue. I'm not sure if I want to see another film about the crew of Dead Reckoning, so perhaps if it waited a few years, that'd be best.

Mr.E
11-Mar-2006, 05:08 PM
I think there's a good chance this sucker is gonna be made. There's talk that Rogue Pictures (Universal's Indie film wing) might carry this movie.

So0o0o0o it's just a matter of time for the money to be right.

AssassinFromHell
11-Mar-2006, 06:13 PM
I gave it a two. I dunno, I just don't see it happen. But then again, Romero could work a miracle.

erisi236
11-Mar-2006, 06:17 PM
what would it be called anyway? Roadtrip of the Dead? :rockbrow:

DaDeadGuy
12-Mar-2006, 02:08 AM
I voted a 4. I liked the 4th installment, and I really think that they could add-on to the 4th but also to the whole trilogy. Maybe not so open as much like Assasin said in another post, Land was more open, in the first 3 films all the characters were in hiding and we didn't see to much of the outside world. I think thats one of the key parts in an apocolyptic film, and what makes it work really well.

strayrider
12-Mar-2006, 03:37 AM
Hell, Neil, if you recall back when you first started this message board, the big topic of discussion was if GAR would EVER make another Dead film. The opinions then were either "No way" or "I hope so".

I was, back then, quite confident that there would be another film. It took 8 years but now we have Land to add to our collections.

My current prediction is yes, there will be another installment to the Dead series. It will probably be a sequal to Land of the Dead, but as Pete said in Dawn: "You never know." GAR may set the film in his "new" vision of the world with the same characters, or he may go off in another direction with it.

Yes, there will be another zombie movie written and directed by George (the grinner) A. Romero.

We can only hope that he says to Hell with all the directors guilds and unions and gets back to his indy roots and makes this one the way he made Night, Martin, Crazies, Dawn, Knightriders and Day.

:D

-stray-

aga
12-Mar-2006, 03:35 PM
Well there's been talk of a sequel and a low budget series of zombie films so chances are hopefully good, they seem to be looking to get them made at least.
After finally getting to see Land and really enjoying it I certainly hope this isn't it for Romero's Dead films.

HLS
12-Mar-2006, 04:01 PM
I really doubt that george will make another movie. Land was rather boring compared to his other movies. I do not think its Georges fault. It was probably Universals. I am sure we will see more remakes of his movies.

EvilNed
20-Mar-2006, 04:33 PM
I give it a 4. I read some news somewhere of George A. Romero discussing a direct sequel to Land of the Dead (With the old cast reprising their roles), and several other ideas. One thing he was discussing with Universal was a direct-to-DVD franchise of zombie flicks (he would only produce, I guess), and a TV series!

I'd rather let the Dead series die (Land was a fitting end) and have Romero produce a TV-series that focused on great plot and characters.

DjfunkmasterG
20-Mar-2006, 07:02 PM
To be honest I voted a one. I really think zombies films are on the way out of the mainstream... Too many too fast

DAWN04
House Of the Dead
Rotld 4 & 5
house of the Dead 2
Shaun

Not too mention a slew of indie stuff.

I think if we get one it will be direct to video. I think you all have a better chance of seeing something from Cereval, Axlish, Dawg and Cykotic before another Romero dead film sees the light of day.

Svengoolie
20-Mar-2006, 10:04 PM
Personally, I gave it a two--I think that the possibilties of GAR getting the chance to do another one are remote in the extreme, but not completely impossible.

While there may very well have been talk about a sequel, direct to video or otherwise, and a tv series....over the years, GAR has been attatched to alot of projects that never went anywhere. At this point, that's exactly where any of that's at right now--in the "maybe" stage...along with about another two dozen or so GAR projects that never got off the ground in the past 35 years.

And, like Dj said--there's been a glut of these types of films over the past couple of years, and while Land did in fact make money, it didn't do very well in the United States, and that's what the studio execs will be looking at when it comes time to talk about cutting GAR another check.

I think that Dawn '04 probably has a better chance of getting a sequel.

DjfunkmasterG
20-Mar-2006, 10:29 PM
If they do a sequel... It won't be for at least 3-4 years. However, i wouldn't hold my breath. I did read an interview where they did say any sequel would probably be direct to video under the Rogue label.

Cereval
21-Mar-2006, 08:33 PM
Having given it a 3, I say ...

As George is constantly saying, as long as he's standing he'll make another. And yet this is countered when he says that he has nothing to write about at the moment. If Universal calls for a sequel, it'll be continuation. I don't know how strong this will be though ...
The zombie film resurgance has already crested and is now on the downslope. This is when all the debris slide to the bottom of the pile (indie zombie films, unabashed cash-ins) and we begin to see a massive regurgitation (think post grunge music era - the bandwagon effect). Watered-down imitations and such. The chances that interested will wain is high because of this.
Given the nature of the industry, I forsee one possible scenario: George passes away before another film is made. There was, however, a script he completed or almost completed. They choose a likely and yet underserving candidate to helm the project (Eli Roth vs. John Carpenter), thus starting yet another fanboy war amongst the community. The movie is made, and we continue waving flags at each other in allegiance to our favorites.

Not very positive reflections, I know, but perhaps more likely than we'd all admit ...

EvilNed
21-Mar-2006, 09:21 PM
I actually think John Carpenter would make a really great zombieflick, if someone gave him the funding. Just look at the Thing and then imagine that kind of atmosphere in a zombie film!

Tullaryx
22-Mar-2006, 06:30 PM
I think there's talk that Universal has picked up the option for a sequel to LOTD. It's really up to when GAr wants to start on it. The bad news part of this is that the film may be a DTV release.

Neil
22-Mar-2006, 07:05 PM
I actually think John Carpenter would make a really great zombieflick, if someone gave him the funding. Just look at the Thing and then imagine that kind of atmosphere in a zombie film!

Carpenter has unfortunately seemingly lost the "knack" of making good films... (IMHO)

The bad news part of this is that the film may be a DTV release.

I got no problem with that... Romero's proved he doesn't need a big budget to make a good film...

Tullaryx
22-Mar-2006, 07:07 PM
Carpenter's best work was any film before the start of the 1990's. After that he just seemed to be cashing it in. The same goes for Wes Craven.

Zombieapocalypse
23-Mar-2006, 10:56 PM
Carpenter's best work was any film before the start of the 1990's. After that he just seemed to be cashing it in. The same goes for Wes Craven.

Could not have said it better! Both made their classics before the 90's and it will remain that way I am sure.

Svengoolie
24-Mar-2006, 01:01 AM
Yeah, but the same could be said for GAR--the last good movie he made was Day of the Dead (and even that's highly debatable).

I once read a bit in Fangoria that said that the best era for Horror was between 1978 and 1983....and that everything since then was either a sequel or a direct rip-off of something made in that era.

One way or the other, from 1983 on, it gets harder and harder to find quality horror flicks...with the low point being the entire decade of the 1990's.:(

DeadCentral
24-Mar-2006, 03:40 AM
I think you'd be surprised at the interest that Universal has shown in continuing the cast of LAND into another big budget film.
LAND has done amazingly well across the world and everyone on board was super thrilled to do the film...wouldn't surprise me to see one within the next 2 years or so...
The selling points could be :

The current cast line up of LAND is very likable
The fact that George has NEVER ( aside from Savini's Blades) continued with a group of characters in a dead film, which being a first would drum up an interest and pull in those who are fans of the LAND film.
The road to Canada would be an adventure in itself, if this were to be a direct sequel
A million and one plot ideas could be developed from the ending of LAND
It would be ANOTHER GAR Zombie film which would certainly be worth the price of admission and Universal could cash in simply from the loyalty of fans, sad but true, it's the one ugly part of Hollywood that makes these ideas possible. This is also the machine at work.

I could live with it an would even look forward to it.I've got tons of questions regarding Riley and crew's departure and what may happen while the group tries to reach their destination, where-ever that may be.

Tullaryx
24-Mar-2006, 04:14 AM
One way or the other, from 1983 on, it gets harder and harder to find quality horror flicks...with the low point being the entire decade of the 1990's.:(

Oh, the 90's had its handful of classic horror with Dellamorte Dellamore, Dead Alive, and Audition are some prime examples.

Svengoolie
24-Mar-2006, 01:43 PM
Oh, the 90's had its handful of classic horror with Dellamorte Dellamore, Dead Alive, and Audition are some prime examples.

I didn't say that there were NO good horror films in the 1990s...I only said that the by the 1990s the genre had hit a low point.;)

Neil
24-Mar-2006, 02:53 PM
I think you'd be surprised at the interest that Universal has shown in continuing the cast of LAND into another big budget film.
LAND has done amazingly well across the world and everyone on board was super thrilled to do the film...wouldn't surprise me to see one within the next 2 years or so...
The selling points could be :

The current cast line up of LAND is very likable
The fact that George has NEVER ( aside from Savini's Blades) continued with a group of characters in a dead film, which being a first would drum up an interest and pull in those who are fans of the LAND film.
The road to Canada would be an adventure in itself, if this were to be a direct sequel
A million and one plot ideas could be developed from the ending of LAND
It would be ANOTHER GAR Zombie film which would certainly be worth the price of admission and Universal could cash in simply from the loyalty of fans, sad but true, it's the one ugly part of Hollywood that makes these ideas possible. This is also the machine at work.

I could live with it an would even look forward to it.I've got tons of questions regarding Riley and crew's departure and what may happen while the group tries to reach their destination, where-ever that may be.

Let's have a 12 part TV series of it!

Zombieapocalypse
24-Mar-2006, 05:26 PM
WHAAAAAAAAAT No PUDDING?
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

What a fantastic film!

CoronaZombie
25-Mar-2006, 02:53 PM
Don't know if it's been said, but G.A.R. has stated that if he did make another that he'd like to continue on with the characters from LOTD. I'm torn on this idea. While I did rather enjoy those characters it kinda falls outta synch with the rest of the series taking place in different places with different characters.

falcon
25-Mar-2006, 11:56 PM
I went with a two. It is not beyond the realm of possibilities since the last film was somewhat successful but I would hope it would be something different. I don’t think the continued adventures of the Dead Reckoning and zombie evolution is going to do it, for me anyway.

Count Dooku
26-Mar-2006, 10:03 AM
I don't think so.Sorry.:(

Trencher
26-Mar-2006, 12:30 PM
I would hope so but I don't think so.

Creepshow
02-Apr-2006, 10:01 PM
I voted 3, because I really have no idea either way -- but I'm not really bothered whether there's another one or not. To me, the original trilogy is what's important - Night, Dawn & Day.

dmbfanintn
03-Apr-2006, 07:22 PM
Having given it a 3, I say ...

As George is constantly saying, as long as he's standing he'll make another. And yet this is countered when he says that he has nothing to write about at the moment. If Universal calls for a sequel, it'll be continuation. I don't know how strong this will be though ...
The zombie film resurgance has already crested and is now on the downslope. This is when all the debris slide to the bottom of the pile (indie zombie films, unabashed cash-ins) and we begin to see a massive regurgitation (think post grunge music era - the bandwagon effect). Watered-down imitations and such. The chances that interested will wain is high because of this.
Given the nature of the industry, I forsee one possible scenario: George passes away before another film is made. There was, however, a script he completed or almost completed. They choose a likely and yet underserving candidate to helm the project (Eli Roth vs. John Carpenter), thus starting yet another fanboy war amongst the community. The movie is made, and we continue waving flags at each other in allegiance to our favorites.

Not very positive reflections, I know, but perhaps more likely than we'd all admit ...

Dum Dum Dum Dum!!!!!! That's it right there folks! Reality in a nutshell!

I couldn't have come up with a better answer than that! I think Cereval has hit the nail righ ton the head here.

all we can do is hope, but as we all know how the wheels of hollywood turn, it may never happen!

My fingers are certainly crossed!

Mortis
07-Apr-2006, 04:45 PM
Hasn't George said that he has two more movies to add to the series? I can't remember where I heard it, but I think it was an interview.

MKULTRA1138
08-Apr-2006, 05:14 AM
I think we'll see at least one more film in the dead universe made by George. I think I heard/read a rumor that there was a possibility of Anchor Bay financing it. I guess only time will tell!

Cereval
08-Apr-2006, 03:35 PM
Hasn't George said that he has two more movies to add to the series? I can't remember where I heard it, but I think it was an interview.

In a few different interviews, I've heard him say he wants Land to be 4 of 6 and I've hearm him say 4 of 8. I don't think it was a definite thing - just a projection for what he feels about the series.

Mortis
08-Apr-2006, 07:09 PM
Hopefully we get atleast one more. This has nothing to do with this thread, or really anything at all, but I waited in line by you for the mall tour to start a few years ago.

In a few different interviews, I've heard him say he wants Land to be 4 of 6 and I've hearm him say 4 of 8. I don't think it was a definite thing - just a projection for what he feels about the series.

MKULTRA1138
09-Apr-2006, 05:08 AM
It's not entirely impossible that we could get two more films out of him in the "Dead" series. I would love to see at least two more "dead" related films. I would also love to see George make something of the same caliber as Martin or Knightriders as well!

Cereval
09-Apr-2006, 08:42 PM
This has nothing to do with this thread, or really anything at all, but I waited in line by you for the mall tour to start a few years ago.

Really? For the midnight tour? Were you with a friend?

Mortis
09-Apr-2006, 09:33 PM
Yeah, the late one where we had to sit there what seemed like forever. I was with a couple friends. I looked at your pics and I'm in a few of them. I'm the big, bald dude on the right of Ken in the pictures where he was in front of JCP. I also met jscott that day, but I didn't know it was him until we talked about it on-line.

Really? For the midnight tour? Were you with a friend?

bassman
10-Apr-2006, 01:24 PM
It's not entirely impossible that we could get two more films out of him in the "Dead" series. I would love to see at least two more "dead" related films. I would also love to see George make something of the same caliber as Martin or Knightriders as well!

Although it probably wont happen, I wouldn't use the words "entirely impossible". He's probably got time to give us one more. Hell, because "Land" was a decent success, he could possibly talk the studio into letting him film two more films back-to-back. He did say we wanted to top off the series with two more.

Svengoolie
10-Apr-2006, 04:08 PM
Personally, I think it's lack of box office success in the United States will keep it from getting a sequel more than anything.

bassman
10-Apr-2006, 04:18 PM
Well, according to Romero they have already offered him the chance to do another film but he turned it down until the time is right. True, it didn't do as some hoped at the box office in the U.S. but it did great over seas and on DVD.

So basically, it's pretty much resting on the shoulders of Romero and whether or not he's inspired by something going on in the world. When that happens, we'll see another one.

Svengoolie
10-Apr-2006, 05:44 PM
Where'd he say that?

Personally, I'm skeptical....although it might be true that they offered to give him another chance, but with a greatly reduced budget--the way ol' Tricky Dick Rubenstein did back in the 90s.

bassman
10-Apr-2006, 06:46 PM
I remember reading it in some article around here a while back. I can't find it but someone had posted it(before you were around) and it basically said that he had the support to do another because Land was successful and the DVDs were "flying off shelves", but he was holding out until he had some sort of inspiration from the government/world/etc.

Svengoolie
10-Apr-2006, 07:06 PM
I remember that bit. It was from Empire Online. It said:

"Now that Land of the Dead did so well in European markets and Japan, and the DVD is flying off shelves, there's talk of a sequel," Romero tells Empire Online. He continues, "It won't be in April but it might now be August or something. I hope to God we don't have to do the winter again, but there's a real buzz happening now about a sequel."

He's not saying that he was actually offered anything...he's saying that there's talk about it. Not the same thing. Not even close.

Over the years, GAR's talked about getting alot of projects off the ground, and has been attatched to projects that never went anywhere.

All you can do is hope...but personally, I don't see it actually happening.

roger_19
03-May-2006, 06:05 AM
I gave it a four. I would love to give it a 5 if I was completely sure. george romero should make another film while he's alive. He doesn't give a **** about fame or money or whatever, all he wants is to make his movies and that's why I agree with him making another movie. I agree with dadeadguy. In the next sequel(if there is one) the characters should be inside of an isolated place just like the places in the trilogy. I'm sure that george can come up with a new setting.

NumberOneGARFan
08-May-2006, 12:50 PM
I give it a 4 1/2, because i hope he will make another one. If he doesn't it'll be kind of disapointing considering he does his best work in splurts. Like other artists i can think of.

Hawkboy
08-May-2006, 08:07 PM
The fact is none of us know what will happen. I hope there is another as I would LOVE to see what happens to the kids in Dead Reckoning. It could make for a great late night Cable series a la "Masters of Horror".

I'd love to see anything zombie come out of George, even if he just produced.