PDA

View Full Version : Dawn 04 directors cut.

Chakobsa
03-Sep-2006, 04:36 PM
Okay, I really enjoyed Dawn 04 and bought the dvd as soon as it came out.
just wanted to know if the directors cut is worth getting and what are the main differences with the original dvd cut.

EvilNed
03-Sep-2006, 05:38 PM
If you really enjoy the film, then there's no doubt. Try to find the unrated Directors Cut at a cheap price.

creepntom
03-Sep-2006, 05:51 PM
If you really enjoy the film, then there's no doubt. Try to find the unrated Directors Cut at a cheap price.

what he said

if you can tolerate this movie, the director's cut is the only way to go

Chakobsa
03-Sep-2006, 09:45 PM
Oh boy, I seem to have received negative rep simply for expressing a liking for a film that some people happen not to like. Oh dear.:rolleyes:

Danny
04-Sep-2006, 03:53 AM
oh dear, when have directors cuts ever been better than the origional release?, its like "two disc limited edition" its just to pull people in when its the same movie but certain scene are an extra 5 seconds longer.:bored:

Brubaker
05-Sep-2006, 11:58 PM
just wanted to know if the directors cut is worth getting and what are the main differences with the original dvd cut.

I enjoyed it, too. I'm pretty sure there are more bonus features in the director's cut than the original release. Since they are both about the same price, at least on Ebay, you might as well get the director's cut. I picked up my copy of the Dawn 04 Director's Cut on Ebay awhile back for about $4 including shipping. It was like new. I mean you can always use your original dvd as trade-in at some video store, game store, pawn shop, whatever, or sell it to someone else for a couple of beans. Some people here would be glad to tell you the dvd makes a good drink coaster.

Svengoolie
06-Sep-2006, 12:08 AM
oh dear, when have directors cuts ever been better than the origional release?, its like "two disc limited edition" its just to pull people in when its the same movie but certain scene are an extra 5 seconds longer.

You mean like with the "Ultimate Edition" of the original Dawn?:D

EvilNed
06-Sep-2006, 12:40 AM
oh dear, when have directors cuts ever been better than the origional release?, its like "two disc limited edition" its just to pull people in when its the same movie but certain scene are an extra 5 seconds longer.:bored:

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but you haven't seen Aliens - Directors Cut have you?

MinionZombie
06-Sep-2006, 11:16 AM
The Director's Cut is the cut of that movie you want, although I think the movie stinks, I have that DVD ... although the Region 2 is completely uncut unlike the Region 1 - for one shot. Of the naked chick walking by the car, instead of blood on the window, the window is clear and you see her boobs - that's the only difference between regions.

Otherwise the Dir Cut has a lot more character stuff (although in a movie where there wasn't any to begin with, it's pretty pointless in the end of the day - but then again, I think the movie is terrible) ... but as you're into it, then I'd recommend you get the Dir Cut (which also has extra bonus features).

bassman
06-Sep-2006, 05:13 PM
You mean like with the "Ultimate Edition" of the original Dawn?:D

I might be mistaken....but there is no "Directors Cut" in the Ultimate Edition. It's US Theatrical, Extended, and European. But I guess the Extended or Cannes Cut COULD be considered that.....

But about Dawn04....it might help alittle.....but no amount of extra footage could save a crap film like that...

MinionZombie
06-Sep-2006, 06:04 PM
The Extended/Cannes cut was incorrectly referred to as the "Director's Cut" here in the UK when it was released on video (BMG) in 1997. Like GAR said himself in a 1997 interview in SFX magazine, there never was a Dir Cut of Dawn, the nearest that you could actually call that would be the Theatrical, which is GAR's own preferred cut of the film, especially as he managed to get it released in the way he wanted.

Chakobsa
06-Sep-2006, 09:39 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but you haven't seen Aliens - Directors Cut have you?

EvilNed's right about this one, the director's cut of Aliens makes far more sense than the original release. Remember the bit with the cool sentry bot machine guns?
I just thought of another, the directors cut of The Wicker Man is far superior to the theatrical cut.

The Extended/Cannes cut was incorrectly referred to as the "Director's Cut" here in the UK when it was released on video (BMG) in 1997. Like GAR said himself in a 1997 interview in SFX magazine, there never was a Dir Cut of Dawn, the nearest that you could actually call that would be the Theatrical, which is GAR's own preferred cut of the film, especially as he managed to get it released in the way he wanted.

Ahh, so that's what it was.
Cool info, Minion, I always liked that cut, I think that the characters were fleshed out a bit more in that version, I remember the first time that I saw it thinking that all the extra dialogue gave the film more depth, i think that it balanced out just about right in terms of character/ action development.
Btw, The famous exploding head is missing from that cut isn't it? I always wandered why that's missing from some cuts whilst more gruesome set pieces remain unscathed.

darth los
07-Sep-2006, 01:37 AM
Nah, I just popped in the extended version and the exploding head scene is still there.

Brubaker
07-Sep-2006, 03:03 AM

The Director's Cut of Jaws was also pretty good. It was probably 40 minutes of new footage. Although it really isn't a Director's Cut, you would also have to be a fool to get the "short" version of the first Salem's Lot movie with David Soul (an hour and a half in length) when the original version which was shown on tv was about 3 hours long. For some reason, they cut it for time when putting it on vhs originally. Now you can pick up the original mini-series in its entirety on dvd. A far superior way to watch it, regardless of whether or not you think it was a "bad film." :D I'd heard the Director's/Producer's Cut of Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers was also fairly lively, compared to the version that made it into theaters.

DjfunkmasterG
07-Sep-2006, 04:47 AM
The DAWN 2004 director's cut is 9 minutes longer and has more depth to the characters. Don't listen to the Hater's of this film... They hate it because it has running zombies and it is called DAWN of the DEAD. if it had another name they could careless.

The Director's cut is pretty decent and add's an extra action sequence and more details about their trek to the gun store. Plus the gore level is up'd a tad, not much but a tad. $14.99 for an extra 9 minutes is worth it.

You could always drop $7.00 on the UNRATED cut of LAND if you need a drink coaster... It works quite well.

Danny
07-Sep-2006, 05:18 AM
yeah i take the piss only cus it tries to be dawn but it aint that bad i just dont see how they can improve too mutch, like i said the first 20 mins were great but then it just sorta dragged on.

and i actually liked running zombies, but to be fair i consider 28 days later ragers as zombies so im one of a small group of fans ....though not as small as the flying zombie fans:D

DjfunkmasterG
07-Sep-2006, 11:16 AM
FLYING ZOMBIES RULE. I promise DEADLANDS 2 will have all zombies represented... Including Flying zombies. :D

In all seriousness, DAWN 04 is a cool movie, not really a horror film so to speak, but it works no matter what. Oh, and hellsing? I think 28 days later's infected are ZOMBIES too. :D

Danny
07-Sep-2006, 11:23 AM
DAMN STRAIGHT!:elol: *high fives dj*

MinionZombie
07-Sep-2006, 01:34 PM
Indeedily-doo, the extended cut is my favourite, the extra flesh on the bone really makes it a much fuller experience. And yep, that release was cut in the UK when released in 1997 (when the BBFC still had a major stick up their butt before the 1999 change in management), so the head exploding is gone, as well as one of the bites on the black woman in the tenement (trimmed) and the kids being shot in the landing strip building was significantly cut short.

Now I've got the Ultimate Edition DVD (Region 1) and it's freakin' awesome. Three cuts of the movie (including my favourite - first version I saw as well - extended cut) and a disc of bonus features, noiiice. And 3 commentaries, two of which I listened to, I've got no interest in hearing Richard-bastard-Rubenstein's commentary, that greasy little sh*t...GAR's and especially the cast commentary are great.

Khardis
15-Sep-2006, 03:19 PM

I bought the directors cut only, so i cant remember how the theatrical version went, but it was definatly a lot gorrier than when I had seen it in the theater that I can remember. I would say to go for it, and to pawn off your old copy on someone else.

capncnut
22-Sep-2006, 12:56 AM
At the end of the day, the theatrical cut was the one I 'sort-of' enjoyed at the cinema so the director's cut is a bit of a no-go for me personally. Although I own it personally, I always go for the theatrical as it's the original vision. Not that dissimilar to the 1978 Dawn really, I always thought the theatrical cut was better than the director's.

Brubaker
24-Sep-2006, 12:51 AM
At the end of the day, the theatrical cut was the one I enjoyed at the cinema so the director's cut is a bit of a no-go for me personally. Although I own it personally, I always go for the theatrical as it's the original vision. Not that dissimilar to the 1978 Dawn really, I always thought the theatrical cut was better than the director's. Cool Schopenhauer quote.

Nah, the Director's Cut is the "original vision." The Theatrical Cut misses the pieces that the director chose to cut or was forced to cut :D