PDA

View Full Version : World of Rot

loktar
04-Sep-2006, 04:15 PM
Hey guys im working on a zombie themed 2D MMORPG :) will have screenshots within the week. Heres the site for the game (not much yet just an intro image)

www.worldofrot.com

Im really excited about this project its coming together really nicely.

LoSTBoY
04-Sep-2006, 04:51 PM
Cool!

Is this going to be like Urban Dead?

What are you using to write the game? is it HTML or perhaps a Java applet?

I'm at a loose end just now so I might be able tyo help you out.

loktar
04-Sep-2006, 05:46 PM
im actually using Visual Basic. It was going to be browser based using PHP, but I decided to go a different route. It will be nothing like Urband dead, it will be more like Goldensun/Zelda multiplayer in a modern post apocalyptic world :) Almost to the point of posting some nice screenshots.

MikePizzoff
04-Sep-2006, 06:29 PM
Awesome. Can't wait!

Good luck and keep working!

loktar
04-Sep-2006, 08:11 PM
Screen shot :)

http://www.worldofrot.com/screen1.gif

EvilNed
04-Sep-2006, 08:51 PM
I think it looks fun. Nice initiative!

loktar
04-Sep-2006, 11:20 PM
http://www.worldofrot.com/screen2.gif

Hoping to have a beta test really soon :)

MikePizzoff
04-Sep-2006, 11:54 PM
Yes, please hurry!!!

loktar
05-Sep-2006, 04:26 AM
Ok pre pre alpha release

http://www.undeadgames.com/WoR/Client.zip

Keys are
arrows move
Shift=run
control = attack
enter = pickup

Also you have to run

LibraryFiles.exe

inside of the registery directory that came with the game they are the Runtime files needed by Visual Basic to run the game. Otherwise you will receive errors

Yes there are bugs but hey its still pretty fun. The worst bug is the one that wont let you log in, only happens once in a while so far though.

Enjoy :)

http://www.undeadgames.com/WoR/0%20copy.gif
oh yeah that guy in the trentcoat will trade with you 5 wife beaters for a 9mm.

MikePizzoff
05-Sep-2006, 04:56 AM
I spawned and was surrounded by zombies IMMEDIATLY and it would let me move out. My character would move out like 1 block and then be "pulled" back into the mass of zombies. Argh!!!!

I'll try again tomorrow.

Glad to see this is coming along so fast, though!!!

Cody
05-Sep-2006, 11:54 AM
this looks much better then urban dead, also i sucked at urban

MikePizzoff
05-Sep-2006, 12:37 PM
Argh! Every time I play, I get surrounded by zombies almost immediatly.

You should make them slower (instead of the same speed as the characters) and less numbered.

general tbag
05-Sep-2006, 02:19 PM
oh yeah that guy in the trentcoat will trade with you 5 wife beaters for a 9mm.

That not something you hear everyday :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yea urban dead is a heaping pile of crap.

It looks pretty good, keep up the good work. ill give it a whirl after my neo geo emulation binge

Danny
05-Sep-2006, 03:16 PM
i might give this a go, urban dead is a pile of wank.:dead:

oh and how did you make the areas itself?, it looks kinda like the rpg maker 2003.

loktar
05-Sep-2006, 04:20 PM
i might give this a go, urban dead is a pile of wank.:dead:

oh and how did you make the areas itself?, it looks kinda like the rpg maker 2003.

Visual Basic 6. Does RPG maker suppory multiplayer?

I may have to rewrite the multiplayer code on this because with alot of zombies and players it seems to lag. The tiles right now were pulled from Duke Nukem 3d (which is open source now :) )

Hoping to get some more done on the project tonight. Going to add a living town, and some better looking zombies.... oh and of course more weapons :evil:

Danny
05-Sep-2006, 04:46 PM
well i gotta say so far its a noble effort but after playing it its impossible to lay i get the simple controls but the zombies instantly respawn and you allwasy surrounded by one at each point n.s.e.w and they attack you till you respawn at the start losing all xp and in a second there on you again, what a zombie game needs is ways to not get into fights and like stuff to climb up on and since its online other people could group and attack them to helpyou and stuff, but since its only beta id let it slide, and on that note how did you make the characters cus ive been trying to find a program to make 2d sprites ofr a game i wanna make but i cant find anything.

loktar
05-Sep-2006, 06:14 PM
well i gotta say so far its a noble effort but after playing it its impossible to lay i get the simple controls but the zombies instantly respawn and you allwasy surrounded by one at each point n.s.e.w and they attack you till you respawn at the start losing all xp and in a second there on you again, what a zombie game needs is ways to not get into fights and like stuff to climb up on and since its online other people could group and attack them to helpyou and stuff, but since its only beta id let it slide, and on that note how did you make the characters cus ive been trying to find a program to make 2d sprites ofr a game i wanna make but i cant find anything.

Oh yeah I was hoping this wouldnt be a turn off to some people. This is just a demo but we wanted action in it. In the full version and Beta, most likely next release actually, there will be "safe" towns with guards positioned around them so you dont have to worry about being attacked when in them. Im mostly using photoshop for the sprites, if you google sprite sheets you can find a ton to use.

thanks for testing guys, it was valuable info for us. Servers down to the public for now we will put it up later this week or on the weekend. By that time you will all need to download the new client, but Im hoping to have an update program in it this time so after that youll just need to update your client before connecting and wont have to redownload the whole thing everytime.

New image :)

http://www.worldofrot.com/screensep5.gif

loktar
09-Sep-2006, 02:18 AM
Servers will be up again tommorow night !!! Sept 9th. Not sure at exactly what time, but were working our butts off to have some more playable for you guys (and gals).

loktar
10-Sep-2006, 11:16 PM
Ok the long wait is FINALLY over. Alpha release part 2 is released. DO NOT USE THE OLD CLIENT TO CONNECT download the new client at

www.worldofrot.com/NewClient.zip

It includes an updater program as well (worldofrot.exe) so for future use you wont have to redownload all of this. Run the file in the RUN ME FIRST directory or the game will not work. If you still receive an error it will say its missing an OCX please post what it is and I will get a link for you to download it and you will then need to put it in system32

Enjoy!

There are more than 2 maps by the way so search search search!

Alpha testing over, don't know if anyone here got a chance to join in but it was fun! Well be doing it again between October 1st and the 11th sometime in there.

Danny
02-Dec-2006, 08:07 AM
anyone else tried this besides me?

MikePizzoff
03-Dec-2006, 07:06 PM
I tried it way back then when he last posted it. It was so buggy and frustrating that I stopped after roughly 5 minutes. It could be good if the zombies didn't move as fast as your character and if they didn't take like 20 shots to kill. Getting surrounded by 4 of them can really just be lame.